Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

#Nephilim/Neanderthals/Mutants/Jinn/Tao Tei/Asuras/Fomorian/Alexanders Walls/Gog and Magog

Comments

• KingNaidKingNaid Member UncommonPosts: 1,875
    edited September 2019

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Jeremiah+50&version=WYC

Jeremiah 50 Wycliffe Bible (WYC)

50 The word which the Lord spake of Babylon, and of the land of Chaldees, in the hand of Jeremy, the prophet. (The word which the Lord spoke about Babylon, and the land of the Chaldeans, by the prophet Jeremiah.)

2 Tell ye among heathen men, and make ye heard; raise ye [up] a sign; preach ye, and do not ye hold still; say ye, Babylon is taken, Bel is shamed, Merodach is overcome; the graven images thereof be shamed, the idols of them be overcome. (Tell ye out among the heathen, and make ye it heard; raise ye up a sign; preach ye, and do not ye hold back; say ye, Babylon is taken, Bel is put to shame, Merodach is overcome with despair; its carved idols be put to shame, yea, its idols be broken in pieces.)

3 For a folk shall ascend from the north against it, which folk shall set the land thereof into wilderness; and none shall be that shall dwell therein, from man unto beast; and they be moved, and went away. (For a nation shall come from the north against it, which nation shall make its land into a wilderness; and there shall be no one who shall live there, from man unto beast; yea, they shall remove themselves, and shall go far away.)

4 In those days, and in that time, saith the Lord, the sons of Israel shall come, they and the sons of Judah together, going and weeping; they shall haste, and seek their Lord God in Zion, (In those days, and at that time, saith the Lord, the Israelites shall come, they and the people of Judah together, going and weeping; they shall make haste, and shall seek the Lord their God,)

5 and they shall ask the way. Hither the faces of them shall come, and they shall be set to the Lord with bond of peace everlasting, which shall not be done away by any forgetting. (and they shall ask the way to Zion. They shall come here, and they shall be joined to the Lord with an everlasting covenant, which shall not be done away with by any forgetting.)

6 My people is made a lost flock, the shepherds of them deceived them, and made them to go unstably in (the) hills; they passed from (a) mountain into a little hill (they passed from mountain to little hill), they forgot their bed.

7 All men that found (them), ate them, and the enemies of them said, We sinned not, for that they sinned to the Lord, the fairness of rightfulness, and to the Lord, the abiding of their fathers. (All those who found them, ate them, and their enemies said, We sinned not, for they have sinned against the Lord, the Beauty of righteousness, yea, against the Lord, their forefathers’ hope.)

8 Go ye away from the midst of Babylon, and go ye out of the land of Chaldees, and be ye as kids before the flock. (Go ye away from the midst of Babylon, and go ye out of the land of the Chaldeans, and be ye like the goat-kids leading the flock.)

9 For lo! I shall raise (up), and bring into Babylon the gathering together of great folks, from the land of the north; and they shall be made ready against it, and it shall be taken in the day; the arrow(s) thereof (shall be) as of a strong man, a slayer, (and they) shall not turn again [void].

10 And Chaldea shall be into prey, all that destroy it (all who destroy it), shall be [ful]filled, saith the Lord.

17 Israel is a scattered flock, lions casted out it; first (the) king (of) Assur ate it, (and) this last, Nebuchadnezzar, king of Babylon, did away the bones thereof. (Israel is a scattered flock, for the lions cast it out; first, the king of Assyria ate it, and then lastly, this Nebuchadnezzar, the king of Babylon, did away its bones.)

18 Therefore the Lord of hosts, God of Israel, saith these things, Lo! I shall visit (against) the king of Babylon, and his land, as I visited (against) the king of Assur; (And so the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel, saith these things, Lo! I shall punish the king of Babylon, and his land, like I punished the king of Assyria;)

19 and I shall bring again Israel to his dwelling place. Carmel and Bashan shall be fed, and his soul shall be [ful]filled in the hill of Ephraim, and of Gilead. (and I shall bring back Israel to his dwelling place. He shall feed, or shall graze, on Carmel and Bashan, and his soul shall be fulfilled in the hills of Ephraim, and of Gilead.)

20 In those days, and in that time, saith the Lord, the wickedness of Israel shall be sought, and it shall not be; and the sin of Judah shall be sought, and it shall not be found; for I shall be merciful to them, which I shall leave (alive). (In those days, and at that time, saith the Lord, the wickedness of Israel shall be sought, but there shall be none; and the sin of Judah shall be sought, and it shall not be found; for I shall be merciful to them, whom I shall leave alive.)

21 Ascend thou on the land of the lords, and visit thou on the dwellers thereof; scatter thou, and slay those things, that be after them, saith the Lord; and do thou by all things which I commanded to thee. (Go thou up against the land of Merathaim, and attack thou the inhabitants of Pekod; scatter thou, and kill thou them, saith the Lord; and do thou by all the things which I commanded thee.)

22 The voice of battle and (of) great sorrow (is) in the land.

23 How is the hammer of all (the) earth broken and all-defouled? how is Babylon turned into desert, among heathen men? (How the hammer of all the earth is broken and all-defiled! how Babylon is turned into a wilderness, among the heathen!)

24 Babylon, I have snared thee, and thou art taken, and thou knewest not; thou art found, and taken, for thou stirredest the Lord to wrath (for thou hast stirred the Lord to anger).

25 The Lord opened his treasure (house), and brought forth the vessels of his wrath; for why a work is to the Lord God of hosts in the land of Chaldees. (The Lord opened his treasure house, and brought forth the vessels of his anger; for the Lord God of hosts hath a work to do in the land of the Chaldeans.)

26 Come ye to it from the farthest ends, open ye, that they go out, that shall defoul it; take ye away stones from the way, and drive ye into heaps, and slay ye it, and nothing be residue. (Come ye against it from the farthest borders, and open ye it up, so that they go out, who defile it; take ye away stones from the way, and pile ye them up into heaps, and kill ye it, and let nothing be left alive there.)

38 Dryness shall be on the waters thereof, and they shall be dry; for it is the land of graven images, and hath glory in false feignings. (A drought shall be upon its waters, and they shall dry up; for it is the land of carved idols, and hath glory in false portents.)

39 Therefore dragons shall dwell with fond wild men, and ostriches shall dwell therein; and it shall no more be inhabited till into without end, and it shall not be builded till to generation and generation; (And so dragons, or jackals, shall live there with foolish wild men, and ostriches, or owls, shall live there also; and it shall no more be inhabited until forever, and it shall not be rebuilt until forever;)

40 as the Lord destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah, and the nigh cities thereof, saith the Lord. A man shall not dwell there, and the son of (a) man shall not dwell in it. (like when the Lord destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah, and the cities nearby, saith the Lord. No one liveth there now, and no one shall ever live there again.)

41 Lo! a people cometh from the north, and a great folk, and many kings shall rise together from the ends of [the] earth. (Lo! a people cometh from the north, and a great nation, and many kings shall rise up from the ends of the earth.)

42 They shall take bow and sword, they be cruel and unmerciful; the voice of them shall sound as the sea, and they shall ascend on horses as a man made ready to battle, against thee, thou daughter of Babylon. (They shall take bow and sword, and they shall be cruel and unmerciful; they shall sound like the roaring sea, and they shall go upon horses like a man prepared for battle, against thee, O daughter of Babylon.)

43 The king of Babylon heard the fame of them, and his hands be aclumsid; anguish took him, sorrow took him, as a woman travailing of child. (The king of Babylon heard the news about them, and his hands be benumbed; anguish took hold of him, and sorrow took hold of him, like a woman in labour.)

44 Lo! as a lion he shall ascend from the pride of Jordan to the strong fairness, for I shall make him to run suddenly to it; and who shall be the chosen man whom I shall set before him? For who is like me? and who shall suffer me? and who is this shepherd, that shall against-stand my cheer? (Lo! like a lion he shall come up from the thickets of the Jordan River to the plentiful pastures, but suddenly I shall make him run away; and then who shall be the chosen one whom I shall set before them? For who is like me? and who shall dare to challenge me? and who is this shepherd of the people, who shall stand against me?)

edited September 2019

Genesis 1 Wycliffe Bible

24 And God said, The earth bring forth a living soul in his kind, work beasts, and reptiles, either creeping beasts, and unreasonable beasts of [the] earth, by their kinds; and it was done so. (And God said, Let the earth bring forth living souls after their kind, yea, work beasts, and reptiles, or creeping beasts, and unreasoning beasts of the earth, all after their kind; and it was done so.)

25 And God made unreasonable beasts of the earth by their kinds, and work beasts, and each creeping beast of the earth in his kind. And God saw that it was good; (And God made the unreasoning beasts of the earth after their kind, and the work beasts, and the reptiles of the earth, each after its kind. And God saw that it was good

26 and said, Make WE man to our image and likeness, and be he sovereign to the fishes of the sea, and to the volatiles of (the) heaven(s), and to [the] unreasonable beasts of [the] earth, and to each creature, and to each creeping beast/each reptile, which is moved in [the] earth. (and said, Let us make man in OUR image and likeness, and be he sovereign over the fishes of the sea, and over the birds of the air, and over the unreasoning beasts of the earth, yea, over each creature, and over each reptile which creepeth on the earth.)

Post edited by KingNaid on
    edited September 2019
    Titans are gods, not nephilim giants
    In Greek mythology, the primordial deities, or Protogenoi as they are sometimes known, are the first gods and goddesses born from the void of Chaos. Hesiod's first (after Chaos) are Gaia, Tartarus, Eros, Erebus, Hemera and Nyx. The primordial deities Gaia and Uranus give birth to the Titans, and the Cyclopses. The Titans Cronus and Rhea give birth to Zeus, Poseidon, Hades, Hestia, Hera and Demeter who overthrew the Titans. The warring of the gods ends with the reign of Zeus.

edited September 2019
    The Wild Man
    A 500-year-old artefact is one of the earliest depictions of a mythical figure from medieval Europe, an expert has claimed.

Metal detectorists found the spoon handle with an engraving of "Wild Man" near Woodbridge in Suffolk.

A leading historian has hailed the discovery as a "rare find".

Some of the earliest writings about The Wild Man come from Spain in the 9th Century and he was described as "barbaric, chaotic and unrestrained".

The 15th Century handle, found two years ago, was declared as treasure at an inquest in Ipswich this week.

Covered in leaves and brandishing a club, the hairy Wild Man was a popular medieval mythical figure mostly found in pictures and literature rather than on objects.

Professor of history Ronald Hutton, from the University of Bristol, said: "It's certainly one of the earliest depictions of the Wild Man.

https://www.nga.gov/collection/art-object-page.3297.html

Wild Man Holding a Shield with a Greyhound

https://www.artic.edu/artworks/90004/shield-with-a-greyhound-held-by-a-wild-man
    Image result for Shield with a Lions Head Held by a Wild Woman
    edited October 2019
    The first hybrids were either born or self/inflicted mutations

H. erectus has been hypothesized as a direct ancestor of the later hominins including Homo heidelbergensis, Homo antecessor, Homo neanderthalensis, Homo denisova, and Homo sapiens.

A debate regarding the classification, ancestry, and progeny of H. erectus, especially in relation to Homo ergaster, is ongoing, with two major positions:

1) H. erectus is the same species as African H. ergaster; and that the African branch, H. ergaster, ultimately evolved into modern Homo sapiens in Africa or,
    2) it is in fact an Asian species or subspecies distinct from African H. ergaster, and that H. erectus would later undergo back-migration to Africa, where it would evolve eventually into modern homo sapiens,
    Some paleoanthropologists consider H. ergaster to be a variety, that is, the "African" variety, of H. erectus; the labels "Homo erectus sensu stricto" (strict sense) for the Asian species and "Homo erectus sensu lato" (broad sense) have been offered for the greater species comprising both Asian and African populations.

Related image
    Related image
    Related image
    Related image
    Related imageRelated image
    Anubis was depicted in black, a color that symbolized regeneration, life, the soil of the Nile River, and the discoloration of the corpse after embalming. Anubis is associated with his brother Wepwawet, another Egyptian god portrayed with a dog's head or in canine form, but with grey or white fur.

In late Egyptian mythology, Wepwawet (hieroglyphic wp-w3w.t; also rendered Upuaut, Wep-wawet, Wepawet, and Ophois) was originally a war deity, whose cult centre was Asyut in Upper Egypt (Lycopolis in the Greco-Roman period). His name means opener of the ways and he is often depicted as a wolf standing at the prow of a solar-boat. Some interpret that Wepwawet was seen as a scout, going out to clear routes for the army to proceed forward. One inscription from the Sinai states that Wepwawet "opens the way" to king Sekhemkhet's victory.

Wepwawet originally was seen as a wolf deity, thus the Greek name of Lycopolis, meaning city of wolves, and it is likely the case that Wepwawet was originally just a symbol of the pharaoh, seeking to associate with wolf-like attributes, that later became deified as a mascot to accompany the pharaoh. Likewise, Wepwawet was said to accompany the pharaoh on hunts, in which capacity he was titled (one with) sharp arrow more powerful than the gods alone.

httpsipinimgcomoriginalsd8b8d9d8b8d96ee80a98181f4171b13d7ae7adjpg
    Image result for aboriginesRelated imageImage result for aborigines
    Image result for red head black peopleImage result for red head black people
    edited October 2019

Genesis 25:25
    And the first came out red, all over like an hairy garment; and they called his name Esau.

Matthew 15
    22 And, behold, a woman of Canaan came out of the same coasts, and cried unto him, saying, Have mercy on me, O Lord, thou son of David; my daughter is grievously vexed with a devil. 23 But he answered her not a word. And his disciples came and besought him, saying, Send her away; for she crieth after us. 24 But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel. 25 Then came she and worshipped him, saying, Lord, help me. 26 But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it to dogs. 27 And she said, Truth, Lord: yet the dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their masters' table.
    http2bpblogspotcom-yZ3KqsOMQ1EU7iJhSYcW2IAAAAAAAAutsLzZoKWLO_OEs1600horned1JPG
    http://www.historyofinformation.com/detail.php?entryid=4058

Pithecanthropus erectus, the First Known Specimen of Homo erectusCirca 1800000 BCE - 141000 BCE

In 1891 Dutch physician, paleoanthropologist and geologist Eugène DuboisOffsite Link discovered a fossil skullcap, femur and a few teeth at Trinil - Ngawi RegencyOffsite Link on the banks of the Solo RiverOffsite Link in East Java, Indonesia. Dubois characterized this specimen as a species "between humans and apes," naming it Pithecanthropus erectus (ape-human that stands upright). Prior to Dubois human fossils such as Neanderthal 1 and Cro-Magnon had been discovered by accident; Dubois was the first scientist to set out to discover prehistoric human fossils, and for his controversial discovery of Pithecanthropus erectus he received great fame and notoriety. 

In 1936 a more complete specimen of Pithecanthropus erectus was discovered by German-born paleontologist and geologist G. H. R. von KoenigswaldOffsite Link in the village of SangiranOffsite Link, Central Java, 18 km to the north of Solo. 

"Until older human remains were discovered in the Great Rift Valley in Kenya, Dubois' and Koenigswald's discoveries were the oldest hominid remains ever found. Some scientists of the day suggested Dubois' Java Man as a potential intermediate form between modern humans and the common ancestor we share with the other great apes. The current consensus of anthropologists is that the direct ancestors of modern humans were African populations of Homo erectus (possibly Homo ergaster), rather than the Asian populations exemplified by Java Man and Peking Man. Dubois' specimen was later classified as Homo erectusOffsite Link, a species that lived throught most of the Pleistocene epoch, originating in Africa and spreading as far as England, Georgia, India, Sri Lanka, China and Java" (Wikipedia article on Java Man, accessed 08-21-2013).

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Java-man
    Java man, extinct hominin (member of the human lineage) known from fossil remains found on the island of Java, Indonesia.
    Java man
    edited October 2019
    "Hindus already had present notion of common ancestry between humans and animals. The Hindu dharma believes that the gods have animal features, showing a theory that humans can be reborn again as animals or with their features.
    The Hindu epics mention an ape-like humanoid species called the vanaras.
    "The Sanskrit epics of the Hindus mention several exotic creatures including ape-like humanoids. Some Hindus see this as a proof of the historicity of their mythological characters and as support for the theory of evolution in their texts. The Ramayana speaks of the Vanaras, an ape-like species with human intelligence, that existed millions of years ago. According to the Ramayana alongside these ape-men existed modern humans. Thus, according to these ancient writings, the status of such creatures was a state of coexistence rather than evolution."

• Despite modern opinions/depictions, Heracles (Or Hercules) was actually not extremely muscular, in fact compared to his modern depictions he was rather scrawny. In the myths his only feature that was described as being above average was his height (four cubits/6 foot), as his strength was explained as being caused by Hera's temporary nursing of him as a baby. Vase and mural depictions show that he was no more muscular than any of the other Greeks.
    • In fact in some stories (Most notably the story of Omphale) Heracles could easily be mistaken for a girl, especially after being forced to wear the attire of a woman. This means that he was possibly androgynous in appearance.
    • In works of art Heracles is depicted with the ancient ideal appearance for a man, with full, well knit, and muscular limbs, serious expression, a curling beard, short neck, and a head small in proportion to the limbs. His equipment is generally the club and the lion's skin. The type appears to have been mainly fixed by Lysippus. The Farnese Hercules, by the Athenian Glycon, is probably a copy of one by Lysippus. Heracles is portrayed in repose, leaning on his club, which is covered with the lion's skin.
    • Among thousands of depictions of Heracles on Archaic vases there is a group of almost 40 vases datable between 530 and 500 B.C, upon which the hero appears not as a symbol known to everyone for his athletic spirit, but as "Heracles Mousikos" a musician performing on a kithara or, less frequently, on a lyre or aulos (pipes). These images show Heracles serenely accompanying his own singing to the lyre or kithara. Heracles' music-making portrays him as well-educated, appreciative of the "finer things," hardly a mere thug or arrogant athlete. 
    • According to Diodorus (4.14.1–2), one of the labors of Heracles was to found the Olympic Games, and to win every event in their first edition. This is only one of several myths about the founding of the Olympic Games, but it is a handy illustration of the perceived link between a hero's labors and an athlete's contests.
    • Despite being frequently depicted with a club, Heracles' primary weapon was the bow, which is interesting considering the fact that the Greeks normally scorned the bow-and-arrows as being the weapon of cowards.
    httpsvignettewikianocookienetgreekmythologyimagesee3HeraklesLionE812jpgrevisionlatestcb20150608020659
    httpsvignettewikianocookienetgreekmythologyimages880HeraklesF167jpgrevisionlatestcb20150608013407
    httpsvignettewikianocookienetgreekmythologyimages4470b14db48ffc0a6ceb17d2947a3c54673jpgrevisionlatestcb20160622194312
    httpsvignettewikianocookienetgreekmythologyimages33d112189083jpgrevisionlatestcb20150904000907httpsvignettewikianocookienetgreekmythologyimages884ThFIAUVK5Xjpgrevisionlatestcb20160809024206httpsvignettewikianocookienetgreekmythologyimages883Kerebrusjpgrevisionlatestcb20150405224349
    httpsvignettewikianocookienetgreekmythologyimagesbb9Hercules-statue-vienna-austria-outside-hofburg-palace-showing-how-fulfills-legendary-labors-48341794jpgrevisionlatestcb20160126050641httpsvignettewikianocookienetgreekmythologyimageseefProd_13169831719jpgrevisionlatestcb20160220192100httpsvignettewikianocookienetgreekmythologyimages33198514_509370jpgrevisionlatestcb20160809022326
    edited November 2019
    httpswwwchristiescomimgLotImages2016NYR2016_NYR_12257_0014_000an_attic_black-figured_amphora_attributed_to_the_swing_painter_circa_5jpg
    Related imageImage result for New Zealand antiquities
    "The University of Canterbury's James Logie Memorial Collection is the best collection of classical antiquities in New Zealand and is used for teaching purposes. It has significant holdings of black-figure and red-figure vases. Some items from the collection were damaged in the 2010 Canterbury earthquake, but have been repaired. Although they are no longer on public display because of the ongoing earthquake risk, the collection is used for teaching university and school groups, and items can be viewed by the public by appointment. This is an Athenian black-figure amphora made around 540–530 BC, which is attributed to the Swing Painter (an Attic painter active in the third quarter of the sixth century BC, whose real name is unknown). 
    The collection is named for James Logie, who was the registrar of Canterbury University College from 1950 until his death in 1956. His wife, Marion Steven, who was a member of the classics staff, donated a collection of Greek pottery in his memory the following year, and this collection was added to in subsequent years. This amphora was one of the core pieces of Steven's original donation."
    Amphora from the James Logie Memorial Collection

Australia (called New Holland at that time) and New Zealand are located between the Indian Ocean and the South Pacific. Australia is south of Indonesia and Papua New Guinea.
    1818 map of New Zealand and Australia

Long ago, before Europeans grew their empires to stretch across the world, we were all aborigines. An aborigine is a person, animal, or plant that is native to a particular country or region. Aborigines are those who live in the same place where their ancestors have lived for thousands of years, perhaps for as long as humans have been there at all.

Although Europeans have settled in many areas of the globe, they arrived in Australia and New Zealand only relatively recently. So the history of these lands is really the history of the aboriginal people.

Australia is home to dozens of groups of indigenous tribes, each with its own language and culture. Their history goes back at least 40,000 years, a history of strong dependence on the land and water, hunting, fishing and gathering the resources of the local area. They are considered to be one of the earliest human migrations out of Africa, or at the very least we have no evidence of any other place from which they came. They have no clear relationship with Asian or Polynesian cultures.

As you can see from the map above, New Zealand is much smaller than Australia. Its tribes were more cohesive and are collectively known as the Maori. Maori oral history speaks of an ancestral home of Hawaiki in tropical Polynesia. They are believed to have arrived in New Zealand between 1250 and 1300 CE. Though the Maori share many of that region's customs and systems of organization, it has become distinct from the culture of east Polynesia and is unique today.

In the early centuries after settlement, the Maori seemed to have few weapons or fortifications, and life expectancy was short. Settlements were mostly along coasts, with temporary seasonal hunting settlements further inland. Things changed for the Maori due to a series of natural disasters, like earthquakes and tsunamis, which destroyed settlements and caused their main food species (a flightless bird called the moa) to go extinct. This led to fighting between tribes for resources and the development of a warrior culture of which cannibalism was a part. Despite this, Maori society became successful and prosperous.

Maori haka greeting and war dance

The arrival of Europeans changed everything. This happened in Australia in 1770 when James Cook claimed the east coast for Britain. Colonization proper started in 1788 with the formation of a penal colony in Botany Bay.

Painting of James Cook
    Painting of James Cook

Though initial contact was peaceful, and many aborigines did assimilate into British society, the land was mostly taken by invasion. This invasion was not just a military one - the Europeans also brought with them diseases like smallpox and measles, which killed huge numbers of aborigines. As the Europeans drove people off their lands to claim them for their own, the subsequent loss of food and water sources for the Aborigines contributed to large numbers of deaths. Part of the problem was that despite its overall size, there was relatively little fertile land in Australia, and the aborigines were pushed out of all of these areas by the 1870s.

The spiritual connection that the aboriginal people had to the land was ignored - the Europeans saw them as nomads who could settle elsewhere. These two factors reduced the population from between 315,000 and 1.25 million (nobody is really sure) to a tiny fraction of what it once was. Over ten thousand may have been killed by direct warfare alone.

New Zealand was first visited by Abel Tasman in 1642, and then by James Cook in 1769. In New Zealand, early contact was often combative and full of misunderstanding. There were even cases of Europeans being cannibalized. These stories sometimes caused ships to give New Zealand a wide berth, but people wouldn't stay away forever. By the early 19th century, New Zealand had many visitors. This included dozens of seal and whale hunting ships, escaped convicts from Australia, deserters, and Christian missionaries.

Tribes became influenced by European culture and acquired guns from them. This led to wars between tribes, as groups tried to use the weapons to their advantage. European disease also killed from 10 to 50 percent of the population, though this was far less than in Australia.

Australian aboriginal leader
    https://www.etymonline.com/word/aborigine?ref=etymonline_crossreference

aborigine (n.)

"person, animal, or plant that has been in a country or region from earliest times," 1858, mistaken singular of aborigines (1540s; aboriginal is considered the correct singular in English), from Latin aborigines "the first inhabitants," especially of Latium, hence "the first ancestors of the Romans;" possibly a tribal name, or from or made to conform to the Latin phrase ab origine, which means literally "from the beginning."

This is from ab "off, away from" (see ab-) + ablative of origo "a rise, commencement, beginning, source; descent, lineage, birth," from stem of oriri "arise, rise; be born, be descended, receive life" (see origin). Extended 1789 to natives of other countries which Europeans have colonized, especially "aboriginal inhabitant of Australia." Australian slang shortening Abo attested from 1922 (n.), 1906 (adj.).

ab-

word-forming element meaning "away, from, from off, down," denoting disjunction, separation, departure; from Latin ab (prep.) "off, away from" in reference to space or distance, also of time, from PIE root *apo- "off, away" (also the source of Greek apo "off, away from, from," Sanskrit apa "away from," Gothic af, English of, off; see apo-).

The Latin word also denoted "agency by; source, origin; relation to, in consequence of.

*apo-

also *ap-, Proto-Indo-European root meaning "off, away."

It forms all or part of: ab-; abaft; ablaut; aft; after; apanthropy; aperitif; aperture; apo-; apocalypse; apocryphal; Apollyon; apology; apoplexy; apostle; apostrophe; apothecary; apotheosis; awk; awkward; ebb; eftsoons; of; off; offal; overt.

It is the hypothetical source of/evidence for its existence is provided by: Sanskrit apa "away from," Avestan apa "away from," Greek apo "from, away from; after; in descent from," Latin ab "away from, from," Gothic af, Old English of "away from."

apanthropy (n.)

"aversion to human company, love of solitude," 1753, nativized form of Greek apanthropia, abstract noun from apanthropos "unsocial," from assimilated form of apo "off, away from" (see apo-) + anthrōpos "man, human"

anthropo-

before a vowel, anthrop-, word-forming element meaning "pertaining to man or human beings," from Greek anthrōpos "man; human being" (including women), as opposed to the gods, from andra (genitive andros), Attic form of Greek anēr "man" (as opposed to a woman, a god, or a boy), from PIE root *ner- (2) "man," also "vigorous, vital, strong."

*ner- (2)

Proto-Indo-European root meaning "man," also "vigorous, vital, strong."

It forms all or part of: Alexander; Andrew; andro-; androgynous; android; Andromache; Andromeda; andron; anthropo-; anthropocentric; anthropology; anthropomorphous; Leander; lycanthropy; Lysander; misanthrope; pachysandra; philander; philanthropy; polyandria; polyandrous.

It is the hypothetical source of/evidence for its existence is provided by: Sanskrit nar-, Armenian ayr, Welsh ner "a man;" Greek aner (genitive andros) "a man, a male" (as opposed to a woman, a youth, or a god).

Alexander

masc. proper name, from Latin, from Greek Alexandros "defending men," from alexein "to ward off, keep off, turn (something) away, defend, protect" + anēr (genitive andros) "man" (from PIE root *ner- (2) "man"). The first element perhaps is related to Greek alke "protection, help, strength, power, courage," alkimos "strong;" and cognate with Sanskrit raksati "protects," Old English ealgian "to defend."

As a kind of cocktail recipe featuring crème de cacao and cream, Alexander is attested from 1913; the reason for the name is unclear.

Leander

youth of Abydos, lover of Hero. He swam nightly across the Hellespont to visit her in Sestos, on the Thracian side, until he drowned. The name is from Greek Leiandros, literally "lion-man," from leon "lion" + anēr (genitive andros) "man" (from PIE root *ner- (2) "man")

lycanthropy (n.)

1580s, a form of madness (described by ancient writers) in which the afflicted thought he was a wolf, from Greek lykanthropia, from lykanthropos "wolf-man," from lykos "wolf" (see wolf (n.)) + anthrōpos "man"

werewolf (n.)

late Old English werewulf "person with the power to turn into a wolf," from wer "man, male person" (from PIE root *wi-ro- "man") + wulf (see wolf (n.); also see here for a short discussion of the mythology). Belief in them was widespread in the Middle Ages. Similar formation in Middle Dutch weerwolf, Old High German werwolf, Swedish varulf. In the ancient Persian calendar, the eighth month (October-November) was Varkazana-, literally "(Month of the) Wolf-Men."

android (n.)

"automaton resembling a human being in form and movement," 1837, in early use often in reference to automated chess players, from Modern Latin androides (itself attested as a Latin word in English from 1727), from Greek andro- "man" (from PIE root *ner- (2) "man") + -eides "form, shape" (see -oid). Greek androdes meant "like a man, manly;" compare also Greek andrias "image of a man

-oid

word-forming element meaning "like, like that of, thing like a ______," from Latinized form of Greek -oeidēs (three syllables), from eidos "form," related to idein "to see," eidenai "to know;" literally "to see," from PIE *weid-es-, from root *weid- "to see." The -o- is connective or a stem vowel from the previous element. Often implying an incomplete or imperfect resemblance to the thing indicated.

edited November 2019

https://www.mysteriousaustralia.com/introduction.html

One Day in 1931 at Glenloth, Victoria on a windswept sandhill, the remains of the shoreline of a long vanished lake about 100km south of the Murray River, John Gibbs, a 10 year old local boy was playing in the shellgrit on Ancient Aboriginal midden. In a basin of the sandhill amid broken shells, he picked up a large fragmenting, football sized lump of petrified mud. protruding from one of the fragments he found a small bronze coin. Years later a Melbourne's Museum Numismatist would identify it as Greek, and that it had been minted in Egypt during the reign of the Greek Ptolemy Philometor the 6th, in the 2ND century.

The suggestion as to how the coin turned up where it was found is, of course, that it had been left behind by ancient visitors; Greek explorers perhaps, or even Arabs, Indians and Malayans with whom the Greeks traded. Similarly, in 1961 a family picnicking on the Daly river, west of Katherine in the Northern Territory, found a Gold Scarab, on object of worship of the Ancient Egyptians. How did this valuable ornament find its way to such a remote location? One might ask the same question of a 2,000 year old carved stone head of the Ancient Chinese Goddess Shao Lin (Protectress of mariners at sea), recovered from a beachfront hillside at Milton, on the New South Wales far south coast in 1983

And the many Ancient rock inscriptions of Phoenician, Libyan, Egyptian, Celtic, Scandinavian and from other origins that have turned up across Australia. Relics, rock inscriptions and Megalithic ruins, left here by seafaring adventurers who came from civilisations now long turned to dust. The sailed in search of new lands rich in gold, silver, copper and tin, precious stones and pearls, using the worlds oceans as water highways.

It is one of the objectives of this book to demonstrate that these peoples not only discovered, and mined the mysterious "Great Southern Land" and its island neighbours, but established colonies, some of which survived for generations, and were large and important enough to establish a local ruling class.  

By the time they vanished they had influenced the cultures of the native peoples of the region, leaving behind them ghostly Megalithic ruins and temples, tombs and Pyramids, and rock scripts in a host of Ancient tongues; relics that continue to perplex conservative historians, and question the dogma that the peoples of the Ancient World lacked the ability to construct and navigate ocean going water craft. The fact is that people were putting out to sea centuries before the invention of a written language and that the water craft they sailed in were far from flimsy.

Although my book concerns the 'unknown' history of Australia's discovery and exploration, it is also to some degree a history of ancient mining activities throughout the Australian-West Pacific region. In forthcoming chapters I shall demonstrate that, at various times in antiquity, and during the Copper and Bronze ages in particular, Australia's coastline saw the sails of mineral-seeking peoples from many ancient and exotic lands.
    Related image

Ancient Greeks and Aboriginal Australians saw constellations in common

Hunters and sisters

One of the most easily recognisable constellations is Orion. In Greek mythology, the boastful hunter was killed by a giant scorpion.

Orion dominates the evening skies during summer in the Southern Hemisphere and appears upside-down to us in Australia

Orion dominates the evening skies during summer in the Southern Hemisphere and appears upside-down to us in Australia.

Orion is constantly pursuing the seven sisters of the Pleiades. In the sky, Orion is defending himself from the charging bull Taurus, represented by the V-shaped Hyades star cluster. The Hyades are daughters of Atlas and sisters of the Pleiades.

Orion right fights Taurus the bull middle while pursuing the seven sisters of the Pleiades left as seen from Australia

Orion (right) fights Taurus the bull (middle) while pursuing the seven sisters of the Pleiades (left), as seen from Australia.

In Indigenous Wiradjuri traditions of central New South Wales, Baiame is the creation ancestor, seen in the sky as Orion — nearly identical in shape to his Greek counterpart. Baiame trips and falls over the horizon as the constellation sets, which is why he appears upside down.

The stars of Orion also form a man Baiame In Wiradjuri traditions

The stars of Orion also form a man, Baiame, In Wiradjuri traditions.

The Pleiades are called Mulayndynang in Wiradjuri, representing seven sisters being pursued by the stars of Orion.

The Pleiades are seven sisters in Wiradjuri traditions called Mulayndynang

The Pleiades are seven sisters in Wiradjuri traditions, called Mulayndynang.

In Aboriginal traditions of the Great Victoria Desert, Orion is also a hunter, Nyeeruna. He is pursuing the Yugarilya sisters of the Pleiades but is prevented from reaching them by their eldest sister, Kambugudha (the Hyades).

Scorpions and canoes

In Greek mythology, the scorpion that killed Orion sits opposite the hunter in the night sky as the constellation Scorpius. They were placed on opposite sides of the sky by the gods to keep them away from one other.

The Greek constellation of Scorpius as seen from Australia which dominates the winter skies of the Southern Hemisphere

The Greek constellation of Scorpius as seen from Australia, which dominates the winter skies of the Southern Hemisphere.

A comparable relationship can be found in the traditions of the Torres Strait Islanders. The culture hero, Tagai, killed his 12-man fishing crew (Zugubals) in a rage for breaking traditional law, before they all ascended into the sky.

Tagai is standing on his canoe, formed by the stars of Scorpius. The Zugubals are represented by two groups of six stars: The belt/scabbard stars of Orion (Seg) and the Pleiades (Usiam). Tagai placed the Zugubals on the opposite side of the sky to keep them far away from him.

The constellation Tagai The curve of stars towards the bottom left are the stars of Scorpius

The constellation Tagai. The curve of stars towards the bottom left are the stars of Scorpius.

edited November 2019

edited November 2019
    Now, a new method has given the Denisovans a face. A recently developed way to glean clues about anatomy from ancient genomes enabled researchers to piece together a rough composite of a young girl who lived at Denisova Cave in Siberia in Russia 75,000 years ago. The results suggest a broad-faced species that would have looked distinct from both humans and Neanderthals.

Perhaps 600,000 years ago, the lineage that led to modern humans split from the one that led to Neanderthals and Denisovans. Then about 400,000 years ago, Denisovans and Neanderthals themselves split into separate branches. Denisovans ranged from Siberia to Southeast Asia and may have persisted until as recently as 30,000 years ago, based on their genetic legacy in living Southeast Asians.

Hundreds of Neanderthal skeletons, including intact skulls, have been found over the years. But the only fossils conclusively linked to Denisovans are a pinkie bone from the girl plus three teeth, all from Denisova Cave, and a recently identified lower jaw from China's Baishiya Karst Cave.

Apes, Monkeys, And Humans

Humans are most closely related to the great apes of the family Hominidae. This family includes orangutans, chimpanzees, gorillas, and bonobos. Of the great apes, humans share 98.8 percent of their DNA with bonobos and chimpanzees. Humans and gorillas share 98.4 percent of their DNA. Once the apes are not native to Africa however, the differences in DNA increase. Humans and orangutans share 96.9 percent of their DNA. Humans and monkeys share approximately 93 percent.

Mice

Humans and mice share nearly 90 percent of human DNA. This is important because mice have been used in laboratories as experimental animals for research into human disease processes for years. Mice are currently used in genetic research to test gene replacement, and gene therapy because they have similar gene types to those of humans and will have similar reactions to diseases and disease processes.

Dogs

Humans and dogs share 84 percent of their DNA, which again, makes them useful animals to study human disease processes. Researchers are particularly interested in specific diseases that affect both dogs and humans. Retinal disease, cataracts, and retinitis pigmentosa blind both humans and their canine friends, and scientists study and research treatments of the disease in dogs in the hope that the same treatments will be beneficial to humans. Dogs are also being studied and treated for cancer, epilepsy, and allergies, to find more successful treatment for humans.

Chickens

Of course, humans, dogs, mice and apes are going to have DNA in common. They are all mammals. Humans and birds are a different matter. Yet they, too, share a lot of DNA -- 65 percent. Understanding the similarities and differences between human and avian DNA is important. First, because chickens make proteins, such as interferon, that are helpful to human immunity, and need to be further studied. Second, because viruses like the ones that cause the flu cross between birds and humans and need to be studied so that vaccines can be invented and improved.

https://archive.org/details/historyoffourfoo00tops/page/342
    https://interestingengineering.com/scientists-add-human-brain-gene-to-monkeys-sparking-ethics-debate
    Chinese scientists spraked a global debate about the ethics of animal testing when they added a human gene tied to brain development to monkeys' DNA in order to study brain development.
    Scientists Add Human Brain Gene to Monkeys Sparking Ethics Debate
    Related image
    https://barkpost.com/good/every-short-spine-dog-in-the-world/
    Short spine syndrome is a rare genetic condition in which a dog’s spine is literally shortened. They are born this way. These dogs all share similar traits, such as sloped backs, short, wide necks, rear legs that are longer than the front legs, elongated jaws and either no tails, bobbed tails or shorter than normal tails.
    Meet Every Single Dog In The World With Short Spine Syndrome That We Know Of
    https://www.insidescience.org/news/rare-human-syndrome-may-explain-why-dogs-are-so-friendly

Rare Human Syndrome May Explain Why Dogs are So Friendly

Dogs and people with Williams syndrome may both owe their sociable personalities to changes in the same genes.

A friendly condition

Williams syndrome, also known as Williams-Beuren syndrome, occurs when people are missing of a chunk of DNA containing about 27 genes. The syndrome affects about one in 10,000 people, and it is associated with a suite of mental and physical traits, including bubbly, extroverted personalities, a broad forehead, full cheeks, heart defects, intellectual disability and an affinity for music.

The first hint of a link between dogs and Williams syndrome came in 2010, when evolutionary biologist Bridgett vonHoldt and her colleagues examined DNA from 225 wolves and 912 dogs from 85 breeds. They were looking for parts of the genome that have been shaped by selection since dogs diverged from wolves.

One gene that popped out was WBSCR17, suggesting that it or other genes near it were important in dog evolution. This region of the genome is similar in dogs and humans, and the human version of WBSCR17 is located near the sequence that is deleted in people with Williams syndrome.

Doggie DNA

In the new study, vonHoldt, now an evolutionary biologist at Princeton University in New Jersey, and her colleagues took a closer look at the region surrounding WBSCR17. First, they tested the friendliness of 18 dogs and 10 wolves, all raised with regular attention from human caretakers. They measured how much time each dog or wolf spent within a 1-meter radius of a human, as well as how hard the animal worked to solve a puzzle box.

As expected, wolves spent less time near humans, and most worked equally hard to solve their puzzle box regardless of whether a human was present. In contrast, dogs tended to look at the human instead of the puzzle box, focusing on the puzzle only when left alone.

While dogs were more sociable than wolves on average, individuals varied, with some wolves acting more friendly and some dogs acting more aloof. When the researchers analyzed DNA from 16 of the dogs and eight of the wolves, the behavioral differences turned out to be correlated with variations in three genes -- the WBSCR17 gene highlighted in the 2010 study, and two additional genes from within the canine equivalent of the Williams syndrome region.

For each of these three genes, the researchers found multiple variants that differed in structural ways, such as whether or not they contained an extra sequence of DNA. Some gene variants were found mostly in the friendly dogs and wolves, while others were found more often in unfriendly animals.

While personality traits like friendliness are probably shaped by hundreds or thousands of genes, these three genes appeared to play a surprisingly large role in controlling social behavior, said vonHoldt.

"Some of these structural variants could explain a huge shift in a behavioral profile -- that you go from being a wolf-like, aloof creature, to something that's obsessed with a human," she said.