Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ArcheAge Teleport Exploit Remains Unpatched

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited September 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageArcheAge Teleport Exploit Remains Unpatched

A video posted to Reddit showcases a teleport exploit used in ArcheAge to troll a streamer by following him with a vehicle.

Read the full story here

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    DMKano said:
    Lol

Gamigo and XL reaching new levels of ineptitude and embarrassment.

Doesn't sound like new levels to me, sounds like it's expected at this point.
    Phrydoomex
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Tiller said:
    DMKano said:
    Lol

the sad part is there is still people willing to give then money.....
    [Deleted User]doomex
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451
    They addressed this in today live stream. They are adding anti cheat detection to the game for the upcoming launch of 6.0 to attempt to prevent this kind of stuff.

I will say this. It is not really an exploit of game though people are using 3rd party tools to hack the game client more or less and the server lacks the ability to detect the cheats. Still bad but not raelly an exploit with the game itself more or less less people modifying the memory and packets to do things normally not allowed.

Archeage problem is you can send stuff saying your character is here and the server will accept it. You can even enable swimming everywhere. So you can more or less fly. AA cheats always included flying, Position hacking, moving really fast, walking through walls.

FFXIV has the same stuff that game you can change values to walkthrough walls, move at warp speed, fly and so on. RMT do it all the time to mine from underground.

You can do the exact same things in WoW technically, but the anti-cheat auto bans you.

Problem is you can get around the Auto Cheat Systems as well. If the coder knows what they are doing and they have a dummy account or two they can get banned while testing it. With Archeage's last version though there were 3 anti-virus softwares that when they scanned files while playing archeage the game would auto ban you for illegal 3rd party software. So Anti-cheats can be a problem as well.
    Phry
  • XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451
    Exploits and hackers exist in any game.

WoW (Classic and current), ESO, BDO, FFXIV, FFXI, Archeage, SWToR, GW2. They all have the exact same hacks in this article. Each police them differently. Most have a hack detection of some kind. FFXIV and AA are the big ones without it that I know of.

I have a screen shot of around 40 characters all of the same model in a line on FFXIV running in an out of bounds area following each other as well from earlier in the week.

This article makes it sound like Archeage is overrun with hackers and cheaters. It is not really never was, each server had a handfull of them and rmt did it all time. But it is a mmo there is a 100% chance of people cheating. And any game with an economy will have RMT doing it to make money to sell. I will gladly give anyone my months paycheck if they can name a major mmo that does not have people using 3rd party tools to cheat the system.

I will agree that AA deserves critisism for gross missmangement by trion and xlgames. But this could of been wrote about any game. And the way the article is written this is basically a hit peice. Sorta funny it was released about an hour after the live stream that addressed this very topic.
    WargasmDotAPhryShaihuby
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364
    hahaha no surprises here
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    edited September 2019

DMKano said:

Xatsh said:

They addressed this in today live stream. They are adding anti cheat detection to the game for the upcoming launch of 6.0 to attempt to prevent this kind of stuff.

I will say this. It is not really an exploit of game though people are using 3rd party tools to hack the game client more or less and the server lacks the ability to detect the cheats. Still bad but not raelly an exploit with the game itself more or less less people modifying the memory and packets to do things normally not allowed.

Archeage problem is you can send stuff saying your character is here and the server will accept it. You can even enable swimming everywhere. So you can more or less fly. AA cheats always included flying, Position hacking, moving really fast, walking through walls.

FFXIV has the same stuff that game you can change values to walkthrough walls, move at warp speed, fly and so on. RMT do it all the time to mine from underground.

You can do the exact same things in WoW technically, but the anti-cheat auto bans you.

Problem is you can get around the Auto Cheat Systems as well. If the coder knows what they are doing and they have a dummy account or two they can get banned while testing it. With Archeage's last version though there were 3 anti-virus softwares that when they scanned files while playing archeage the game would auto ban you for illegal 3rd party software. So Anti-cheats can be a problem as well.

As crappy as Trion was and as much as they totally screwed the pooch together with XL to ruin ArcheAge - they had way more resources and manpower to ban 3rd party speed/teleport hackers, sure it wasn't anywhere near 100% but ... dont expect Gamgio to come even close.

Gamgio doesnt have the tools, nor the manpower to deal with this in any meaningful way - so the same exploits will be orders of magnitude worse in Unchained

Buyer beware 

so they choose not to ban people? not really a good thing to say, kinda make everyone who worked there lazy
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • WargasmDotAWargasmDotA Member UncommonPosts: 21
    edited September 2019
    Posting exploit news after ArcheAge Unchained livestream in a mmorpg website is like telling them to stop playing, do not buy aa. I will still play unchained lul no one can stop me :3
    Post edited by WargasmDotA on
    Kyleran
  • XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    Trion never really did much about cheaters for a long time, even when they did, they would just slap them on the wrist usually and let them come back. A few got perma banned, but they usually let them come back with a new account. They had gold exploits, dupes, teleporting, and they seem to want to remake the combat/systems every 6 months....Its like throwing darts at a dart board, with the direction....Reworking systems is the new content for the most part.
  • Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152
    So what I get from the reddit post and all is that the client and server are sh*t in this game. There is little to no actual coding protection and there solution is Easy Anti Cheat addition to *attempt* to stop people from hacking the client. Yeah GG with that.

Easy Anti Cheat.. lol..
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    You would think at this point it would be easier for XLGames to just incorporate these hacks into their game so everyone could use them.

Then it really would live up to the "Unchained" billing.

atonicoSpottyGekkoTacticalZombeh

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited September 2019
    TL:DR How hard is it to write a server side Anti-Cheat script to detect if a legitimate skill is used before a user instantly teleprots to a new area such as a NPC Teleport.

If a user has not used a skill, or NPC teleport and ends up at (X) Location then they are teleport hacking.

To make this all worse Gamigo Limited the clients to 1, when a person such as myself previously had 5+ accounts active thus screwing over the original arche age as to me it was kinda like EVE Online, so Arche Age is gonna go down :3.
  • PurplePepePurplePepe Member UncommonPosts: 122

Renoaku said:

TL:DR How hard is it to write a server side Anti-Cheat script to detect if a legitimate skill is used before a user instantly teleprots to a new area such as a NPC Teleport.

If a user has not used a skill, or NPC teleport and ends up at (X) Location then they are teleport hacking.

To make this all worse Gamigo Limited the clients to 1, when a person such as myself previously had 5+ accounts active thus screwing over the original arche age as to me it was kinda like EVE Online, so Arche Age is gonna go down :3.

It's a tough balance in game design between performance and server-side security storage and checks. I just found out that Escape from Tarkov stored the ownership of keys (one of the most important items in that game's economy) client-side. I'm surprised they did that. They have added BattleEye Anti-Cheat and that has stopped a number of the script-kiddies, but those with deep programing knowlege can still bypass many systems. Gamers expect split-second game performance and perfect security in their games and that is never possible. It requires an active in-game presence, constant tweaking of security software, and expert programmers to combat cheating and RMT and that costs money to maintain.

Gamigo seems to care deeply about preventing advantage play so that's a good sign. They are hampered by limited resources and XLgames. Still I think they will be able to minimize damage and offer a fun experience. The initial NA launch was a haven for hackers, botters, and dup exploiters. We're just not going to see that level of rampant destruction this time around.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    edited September 2019

Renoaku said:

tweaking of security software, and expert programmers to combat cheating and RMT and that costs money to maintain.

The initial NA launch was a haven for hackers, botters, and dup exploiters. We're just not going to see that level of rampant destruction this time around.
    I'll take that bet, it's going to be several orders of magnitude worse as Gamigo lacks the talent or financial resources to put up a decent fight.

:D 
    SpottyGekko

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    UNCHAIN IT!!!
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626

DMKano said:

Lol

Just watch them PR spin this and sweep under the rug and try to push more pre-order pack sales..everything is fine!

They are not ready for a relaunch after all these years, and this 2 week delay is not going to help shit.

They deserve this - after sucking the playerbase dry, oh how sweet this is.

Man you are one salty fella.. Here's a fact for you.

It has always been Trion/Gamigo's job to sell game packages. That's literally what they're supposed to do at all times.

It has always been XL's job to code & resolve issues on the back end. They're the ones not fixing the exploits. They're the ones that make the decisions on how the game is executed. So why you would blame Gamigo for any of this is beyond me. IMO in their live streams, they've been pretty upfront about things they can explain.

Stop yelling at the horse, because the cart has a broken wheel.
    Viper482kinkyJalepeno
  • DemuerteDemuerte Member UncommonPosts: 37

Tiller said:

DMKano said:

Lol

the sad part is there is still people willing to give then money.....

A fool and his money are soon parted.
    gunklacker
  • gunklackergunklacker Member UncommonPosts: 247
    Kyleran said:
    You would think at this point it would be easier for XLGames to just incorporate these hacks into their game so everyone could use them.

Then it really would live up to the "Unchained" billing.

I agree this is what ESO does.
  • lucyluffy101lucyluffy101 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    It doesn't work in Unchained version because of new hack shield. The people gonna use it or download are going to get banned right away.
    Albatroes
  • BcudaBcuda Member UncommonPosts: 164
    Well I just watched the vedio. Hacking??? Yep big time just glad I did not preorder anything yet. Now let see if they do anything.
    kinkyJalepeno
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Xatsh said:

WoW (Classic and current), ESO, BDO, FFXIV, FFXI, Archeage, SWToR, GW2. They all have the exact same hacks in this article. Each police them differently. Most have a hack detection of some kind. FFXIV and AA are the big ones without it that I know of.

I have a screen shot of around 40 characters all of the same model in a line on FFXIV running in an out of bounds area following each other as well from earlier in the week.

This article makes it sound like Archeage is overrun with hackers and cheaters. It is not really never was, each server had a handfull of them and rmt did it all time. But it is a mmo there is a 100% chance of people cheating. And any game with an economy will have RMT doing it to make money to sell. I will gladly give anyone my months paycheck if they can name a major mmo that does not have people using 3rd party tools to cheat the system.

I will agree that AA deserves critisism for gross missmangement by trion and xlgames. But this could of been wrote about any game. And the way the article is written this is basically a hit peice. Sorta funny it was released about an hour after the live stream that addressed this very topic.
    Unfortunately i have seen the hackers in FFXIV myself, groups of bards/black mages all identical with random letter generated names, magically appear out of nowhere kill something and then disappear again. :/
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    It doesn't work in Unchained version because of new hack shield. The people gonna use it or download are going to get banned right away.
    More likely they manage to do one ban wave of users who are hacking before the hack gets changed.

They could fix teleport hacks completely with a server side detection of illegal movement, but as long as they don't have any detection they're just striking against individual hacks and leaving hackers with ability to make new ones.
    PhryKyleran

• hyllyhhyllyh Member UncommonPosts: 477
    edited September 2019
    i laught loudly when i saw this and ppl thinking AAU will be better...
    hack, bots etc will be the same thing and i'm waiting for a flow of tears cause of this
  • HerithiusHerithius Member UncommonPosts: 219
    So... Archeage has a hack in it? Is that supposed to be huge news? Every mmorpg out there has hacks, exploits, etc. People are piling on Archeage like its never been in an mmo before, unreal.

Did hacks in UO, EQ or SWG qualify those games as disasters? Hacks happen. They are unfortunate and hopefully they will be limited to the best of the devs ability. You can post this article about any mmorpg on the market highlighting a hack. Hacks are especially prevalent in competitive sandbox experiences. Its part of the territory.

Show me a mmorpg with no hacks.
    Kyleran
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited September 2019
    Phry said:
    Xatsh said:

Unfortunately i have seen the hackers in FFXIV myself, groups of bards/black mages all identical with random letter generated names, magically appear out of nowhere kill something and then disappear again. :/

Pretty much. Hacks/botting in FFXIV's ARR zones make it look like child's play in other games by comparison. Most servers you can create toons on (since some have creation lockouts) usually have Gridania/Ul'dah flooded with them, teleporting/'flying' (ARR zones dont have flight, so you get the idea)/as well as hoards of them under floors in several areas. Anyone can make a trial account to see all this for themselves. What is funnier is that GMs aren't allowed to do anything about them as mandated by SE, only their 'special task force' can which you have to go through an arbitrary process to report them on their main site. AAA quality at its finest....at least they can keep the cash shop updated on a monthly basis...

• yonpachiyonpachi Member UncommonPosts: 191
    This or Astellia Online?