Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Kickstarterversary is here!

Comments

• AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    Hmmm two legendary taverns released OCE and EU and neither is selling
    Slapshot1188
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    So what exactly do they have to show for progress?

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    Nilden said:

7 and a half million dollars
    SpottyGekkoKylerantweedledumb99AnOldFart

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Nilden said:

Maps!!! Where you been dude?  Oh yeah, and an awesome 10 min in game clip of swimming by torchlight and how to fight in the dark.

Don't those both just make you wet in the loins? No? Well it did for a large number of backers as they are flooding several threads on the COE forums with suggestions on what SBS should sell them next.

Even Caspian has to be reading them and thinking "WTF? Better get busy fleecing the marks, after all, they are demanding I do so"

Between this and backer demands to stop providing dates which I'm sure is a huge relief my guess is he sleeps pretty well at nights these days.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited September 2019
    Well, it seems even Caspian realized the absurdity of it all, after 21 pages of backer suggestions which he promised to review he locked the thread.

His reasoning? That this would be the last time any Dev would be reviewing the thread and he didn't want backers wasting time on something "we" would ever see.

My first thought was to reply, "like the release of the full game?"

Good thing he locked it.

:D 
    SpottyGekko

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Nilden said:

Maps!!! Where you been dude?  Oh yeah, and an awesome 10 min in game clip of swimming by torchlight and how to fight in the dark.

Don't those both just make you wet in the loins? No? Well it did for a large number of backers as they are flooding several threads on the COE forums with suggestions on what SBS should sell them next.

Even Caspian has to be reading them and thinking "WTF? Better get busy fleecing the marks, after all, they are demanding I do so"

Between this and backer demands to stop providing dates which I'm sure is a huge relief my guess is he sleeps pretty well at nights these days.

His “backer demands” were made by a few dozen of his diehards. But it gave him cover.  Someday though,  they will need to let people into the “game” and then the curtains will fall.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited September 2019
    I have to admit, I never would have believed this farce would still be continuing rounding into the end of 2019.

If anything, AAA studios should take note. There is still a market for the promise of a good MMORPG.

I'd be willing to bet, if there was at least something that resembled an early 2000s MMORPG, people would not be clinging to this sham.

AnOldFart
  • TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295
    AnOldFart said:
    The OCE one will never sell. The only way we got one, was some whale from NA brought it and gave it away via a contest. Which was cool of them. Honestly they need to change the price, depending on the region. 
  • AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    Torrsk said:
    AnOldFart said:
    The OCE one will never sell. The only way we got one, was some whale from NA brought it and gave it away via a contest. Which was cool of them. Honestly they need to change the price, depending on the region. 

Or they should stop being greedy...

$1250 is far too much for a bloody inn
  • CostaniusCostanius Member UncommonPosts: 231
    edited September 2019

If anything, AAA studios should take note. There is still a market for the promise of a good MMORPG.

What You guys overlook when making fun about CoE is this:

CoE is a clear indication that many players want new innovate MMOs.
    AAA studios should notice: People WANT a MMO LIKE CoE!
    People are willing to spend 7 Mill+ $ and more to have a MMO like CoE developed.
    There is a desire and a demand for a MMO concept and project like CoE.

In a way this whole project is also a market study for other studios to watch and to learn from.
    Apparently there is a market for a MMO like CoE. People are willing to spend money on a project like this and are also willing to invest time into lore, dance of dynasties, building communities etc.

So AAA studios or other indie studios could learn from this, evaluate this project, change it where needed and create their own project with similiar features.

If other studios, AAA or indie, get this and understand this and come up with a MMO similiar in concept like CoE in the future, I won't consider my pledged money wasted, even if CoE never gets finished.

tweedledumb99Torrsk

-----------------------------------
    Life is too short to play bad games.

• jonp200jonp200 Member UncommonPosts: 457
    I have been very critical of these guys following the KickStarter and was stupid enough to back this game.

I'm changing my opinion now.  They have convinced people to invest as much as $240K in this game??!!!!  BRAVO!  PT Barnum would be proud!
    KyleranSlapshot1188

Seaspite
    Playing ESO on my X-Box

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    Costanius said:

People are willing to spend 7 Mill+ $ and more to have a MMO like CoE developed.

In a way this whole project is also a market study for other studios to watch and to learn from.
    Apparently there is a market for a MMO like CoE. People are willing to spend money on a project like this and are also willing to invest time into lore, dance of dynasties, building communities etc.

So AAA studios or other indie studios could learn from this, evaluate this project, change it where needed and create their own project with similiar features.

If other studios, AAA or indie, get this and understand this and come up with a MMO similiar in concept like CoE in the future, I won't consider my pledged money wasted, even if CoE never gets finished.

MMORPGs are ridiculously expensive to make.  Even simple ones are, and CoE is NOT a simple one.  COE's funds raised so far is not enough to make a game like COE even under competent management.  So all looking at it really tells any company with a brain is "Don't waste your time spending enough money to make a game like CoE because people, while interested, still aren't interested ENOUGH to cover the huge costs of such a venture."
    Kyleran
    edited September 2019
    Tiamat64 said:
    Costanius said:

MMORPGs are ridiculously expensive to make.  Even simple ones are, and CoE is NOT a simple one.  COE's funds raised so far is not enough to make a game like COE even under competent management.  So all looking at it really tells any company with a brain is "Don't waste your time spending enough money to make a game like CoE because people, while interested, still aren't interested ENOUGH to cover the huge costs of such a venture."
    If AAA studios are interested in any learning anything from indie MMO development I'm pretty sure they are watching Star Citizen considering its raising / spending money at a AAA level.
    Post edited by Kyleran on
    Tiamat64

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited September 2019
    Yea, the average cost IIRC to make an AAA MMO was like, 200 mil or so, wasn't it? Star Citizen's the only one of the crowdfunding ventures to get that amount.

The major issue with a hypothetical Star Citizen competent development alternate universe would be that its scope far exceeds that of an AAA MMO (thus it would logically need a lot more than the typical amount an AAA MMO needs).  But that's unrelated to CoE and its' "interest versus cost to bring to fruition" ratio.

CoE's issue is that it didn't raise anywhere near enough to make such a game, and AAA developers who know how much it costs to make an AAA game would be well aware of that.
    Kyleran
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    Costanius said:

The problem is that CoE isn't really innovative, it's just promising an insane amount of different features and game mechanisms. That's nothing new, all the AAA devs already know that if they spend a lot more money on a game you can make it better.
    Kylerantweedledumb99

Costanius said:

I would walk away now and consider that pledge a waste.
    And COE is NEVER going to be finished.......
    If it is, it will be so far off in the future it will be irrelevant when it releases
    Or
    It will not resemble in any way shape of form (we can already see evidence of this) what was originally promised

• TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295
    AnOldFart said:
    Torrsk said:
    AnOldFart said:

Or they should stop being greedy...

$1250 is far too much for a bloody inn
    Agree there. It's a joke how much somethings go for. I used to laugh how much Star Citizen ships cost. Yet CoE is getting to that level and people see nothing wrong with it. The point I could spawn a catapult close to this tavern and just destroy it within expo, something I also expect people will do. It's just awesome.
    AnOldFart
  • goldboyy45goldboyy45 Member UncommonPosts: 301
    edited September 2019
    guys, check out the new stretch goals added....Discord is pressuring SbS to add a 1 Million stretch goal...instead of making the core game they are just adding just about anything now just to suck up as much funds as people will give...check out this beauty: 

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/news/33170/Were-celebrating-our-Kickstarterversary

$660k - Subterranean Volcanic Ecotope - In some places in Elyria, the water boils out of the ground hot and sulfurous. Beneath these locations, a secret lies: Rivers and lakes of molten rock flow through the underground, heating the water above. This complex chemistry creates rare minerals and reveals rare ores, for those intrepid enough to dig to find them and hardy enough to return alive. (Subterranean Lava Ecotopes will be included throughout the starting continent of your server)

Because when you can't showcase basic mineral gathering you make a stretch goal such as this. Is anyone taking this project seriously?
    About $7.5M worth of seriousness.   So while I have gotten multiple free accounts.. SOME folks are tossing serious cash at buying pixel art and future advantages.
    Mendel

It's actually mind blowing, if you look at the chatter in their discord, there is not one comment on pre-elyria or the status of it...everyone is excited about the stretch goals and what else they want to buy in the cash shop, does anyone even care about the actual game? we gave them 7.5M dollars, what did they do with it? Caspian said Pre-Elyria should be done around end of summer, what is the status of it?
  • frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    Costanius said:

What this really shows is how much a subset of players are willing to pay to get gameplay advantages over everybody else. They wouldn't be getting near as much money if they were just selling having your name on a sign in the tavern or something like that. Altruistic gamers are seen slightly less often than Bigfoot riding a unicorn being chased by the Loch Ness Monster through Atlantis.

AAA studios have taken notice of that. Hence free to play with cash shops being the prevailing payment model.

If this thing ever released and managed to retain any numbers, much less grow more than already exist, that would be something to take notice of. They've pretty much gone full tilt on how to get more money for more advantages from the people who have already paid in rather than finding ways to entice more people to buy in now or at release so I think the AAA studios can continue on their existing course.
    Kyleran
  • TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    guys, check out the new stretch goals added....Discord is pressuring SbS to add a 1 Million stretch goal...instead of making the core game they are just adding just about anything now just to suck up as much funds as people will give...check out this beauty: 

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/news/33170/Were-celebrating-our-Kickstarterversary

$660k - Subterranean Volcanic Ecotope - In some places in Elyria, the water boils out of the ground hot and sulfurous. Beneath these locations, a secret lies: Rivers and lakes of molten rock flow through the underground, heating the water above. This complex chemistry creates rare minerals and reveals rare ores, for those intrepid enough to dig to find them and hardy enough to return alive. (Subterranean Lava Ecotopes will be included throughout the starting continent of your server)

Because when you can't showcase basic mineral gathering you make a stretch goal such as this. Is anyone taking this project seriously?

What's really sad is $660k is probably not going to be enough to develop that mechanic.  They're basically moving the game's goalpost (IE, finished development) further and further down with each stretch goal.

"But the fans asked for it!"  And hence more Star Citizen-esque shenanigcans continue for this game...
    Slapshot1188

What's really sad is $660k is probably not going to be enough to develop that mechanic.  They're basically moving the game's goalpost (IE, finished development) further and further down with each stretch goal.

"But the fans asked for it!"  And hence more Star Citizen-esque shenanigcans continue for this game...
    Who is asking for all of this? They need to release the basic game as a proof of concept, all this other shit can be added after the game is out!
    All they have is what appears to be some circa 2005 console RPG tech demo.
    edited October 2019
    So, week 4 started with 25% left on the final stretch goal which was smashed in less than 24 hours....

Five new items added included ballista, chariots, (no P2W here) and yet another Pay to Adventure option, a new Map (only available for $40 this week in the store) which will lead buyers (one per customer) on a unique adventure to seek a grand treasure.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/shop/merchandise