Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Co-Op Strategy Sci-Fi Game to Launch on May 13th - Barons of the Galaxy - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageCo-Op Strategy Sci-Fi Game to Launch on May 13th - Barons of the Galaxy - MMORPG.com

Barons of the Galaxy News - Turn-based cooperative strategy game Barons of the Galaxy is preparing for full launch this weekend, May 13th. Players will be able to take part in the sci-fi commerce industry building game that features a player-based economy, galactic expansion when necessary, random events, player run cities, and much more.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    edited May 2017
    Heh... not a MMO or a RPG. Is MMORPG.com now encompassing RTS games as well? (a new and more correct name may be helpful) That said, this looks interesting.

edit: the linked site actually describes this as "massively multiplayer" so that must have just escaped this excerpt and description.
  • BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724

Samhael said:

Heh... not a MMO or a RPG. Is MMORPG.com now encompassing RTS games as well? (a new and more correct name may be helpful) That said, this looks interesting.

edit: the linked site actually describes this as "massively multiplayer" so that must have just escaped this excerpt and description.

It qualifies very well as all three labels you listed. Being browser based doesn't nullify its attributes...

• DrDread74DrDread74 Member UncommonPosts: 308
    Figures the discussion would start out on what MMO means. Thats a hot topic int he forums too =)
    [Deleted User]

http://baronsofthegalaxy.com/
     An MMO game I created, solo. It's live now and absolutely free to play!
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

Samhael said:

With over 800 posts, you've been on long enough to know that MMORPG covers more than just 'Classic Definition MMO' games.  This is a dead parrot!

I self identify as a monkey.

mgilbrtsn said:

Samhael said:

With over 800 posts, you've been on long enough to know that MMORPG covers more than just 'Classic Definition MMO' games.  This is a dead parrot!

With over 2900 posts, you'd think you wouldn't feel the need to point it out? Or perhaps that's a good way to boost your post count. ;)

Mine was more of a comment that a co-op RTS shouldn't be covered here. But I edited it as I checked the link out and realized that it is a massively multiplayer game so both the title and the article excerpt failed to share that here. So I was admitting I was wrong.

Samhael said:

It qualifies very well as all three labels you listed. Being browser based doesn't nullify its attributes...

I never said anything about being a browser game detracting from anything. I didn't mention anything at all about a browser game. However, since you brought it up... that's where I personally lost interest in this game. I've played about a dozen browser games and haven't found any worth going back to.
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059

Samhael said

Mine was more of a comment that a co-op RTS shouldn't be covered here. 

They've been covering non-mmo's for years.
  • DrDread74DrDread74 Member UncommonPosts: 308
    I've seen this argument a dozen times but if you google the DEFINITION of "Massively Multipler Online" you get this:

A massively multiplayer online game (MMOG or MMO) is an online game which is capable of supporting large numbers of players, typically from hundreds to thousands, simultaneously in the same instance (or world). MMOs usually feature a huge, persistent open world, although some games differ.
    [Deleted User]

http://baronsofthegalaxy.com/
     An MMO game I created, solo. It's live now and absolutely free to play!
  • gazrazgazraz Member UncommonPosts: 4
    my thoughts of the game so far....

The game is ok, takes ages to get anywhere, by the looks on the comms (tab ingame) there is talk of p2w elements which is worrying. and very laggy servers.

I am not sure how many players they have, but the population seems very small and it's laggy as hell.

Paid players get to vote on everything, from what I read in the comms it may be a p2w, payers can decide between paid players what an outcome may be, and hence this may result in crashes to the market, or some paid player becomes a leader.

The game plays ok, although very low, there is lots to do, community seems ok. Devs are not on much in European times though.

It will be interesting to see what the future holds for this game.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    any update on the game? How is it doing and is it worth giving a go?

I self identify as a monkey.

• SurgicusSurgicus Member CommonPosts: 1
    edited September 2017
    Not a P2W game at all, far from it, it can even be played for free for as long as one wishes, the restriction will be for the HQ to remain in the Sol system thus limiting exploitation bonuses for industries in other systems.

For a very affordable subscription fee that will pay for the server's as well the developer's time, paid accounts have the possibility to vote during events that give an edge to the various geo-political development inside the platform.
    Paid accounts additional benefit from the possibility to move to other systems where players may gather and regroup with their guild to dominate it or for the more ambitious to even try to manage an entire economy of a system on their own.

Although some might be put off by the spreadsheet approach and look of the game, the main goal of it at the beginning is to construct a solid economic infrastructure involving and combining well tweaked and organized logistics for industries, supply and sales.
    Contracts between players are also possible, rendering multiplayer economical interaction possible.

Competition, over-exploitation, raids (by players or random pirate and other AI factions), destructive invasions by an Alien corporation, all these means a form of military units are also required to protect all your assets from resource locations to your stored goods and of course your HQ.
    Which bring the other side of fun in the game, the military aspect, in case one leans rather towards a combatant than a merchant way of playing, it can be done but others might not appreciate to be attacked and you'll need solid financial foundations to keep your military costs leveled anyway.

Gun for hire then? Give it a try, yet the best way to go on in the game is to find your place and balance your assets and military power to be able to keep growing and expand your positions.

Needless to say that the players' community is also very helpful in this regard, and that the developer has always an ear for improvements thus the game is regularly updated to remove bugs, make the UI more user friendly, and introducing new features that keeps the platform interesting for veteran and new players.

Last but not least, one participant has introduced a news channel into the forum and it has been greatly welcomed and appreciated by the players' community: http://forum.baronsofthegalaxy.com/topic2766-galactic-news-network.aspx?MessageID=6082#post6082
    [Deleted User]
  • cptcommanchecptcommanche Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    Game is still alive in 2019. The game has experienced multiple changes in the last year that have refined and improved gameplay. Developer is going to institute a one time reset in the next few weeks to help rebalance the galaxy and put all players on the same footing once again. If you haven't played before or have been gone for a while, you should come check it out!