Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

City of Heroes Homecoming Team Cracking Down On Copyright Infringing Characters - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited September 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageCity of Heroes Homecoming Team Cracking Down On Copyright Infringing Characters - MMORPG.com

It looks like copyright infringement is being cracked down upon by the City Of Heroes Homecoming team, via a forum post yesterday.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Spriggen1337Spriggen1337 Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Isn't the whole game copyright infringement?
    ScotMMOGamer71LeiHngWeiHarikenMendelNildeninfomatzPalebane
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

If they do a deal with NCsoft they won't be, such is the mercurial nature of that strange thing we call the law. :)
  • BeezerbeezBeezerbeez Member UncommonPosts: 302
    My two goals for today:
    1- read interesting news about CoH
    2- find out a way to make money from home
    Check and mate.
    Moxom914WarEnsemble[Deleted User]JeroKaneBlaze_RockerScotMMOGamer71[Deleted User][Deleted User]dragonlee66and 4 others.
  • knightauditknightaudit Member UncommonPosts: 389
    As a player of COH ... I think this is a great thing .. I have seen a lot of copycats ...given what the character creator can do, why copy.
  • goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394
    edited September 2019
    If they aren't making money, it shouldn't matter, from a legal standpoint. Why copy? Because you can, and it's a role playing game.
    Palebane
  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Came here to ponder this ^
    Hariken
  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    edited September 2019

goozmania said:

If they aren't making money, it shouldn't matter, from a legal standpoint.
    Why copy? Because you can, and it's a role playing game.

So I should be able to pirate any digital media and give it away for free? Huh?
    This helps explains why Copyrights, Patents, IP laws etc exist.

Mendel
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    goozmania said:
    If they aren't making money, it shouldn't matter, from a legal standpoint. Why copy? Because you can, and it's a role playing game.
    So if I start producing an exact copy of Coca-Cola, but I give it away, they have no legal recourse? LOL
    MMOGamer71[Deleted User]MendelBlaze_Rocker
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Kinda like following the traffic laws in a stolen car, pretty pointless, but ok.
    MMOGamer71anemoinfomatz

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited September 2019
    As @Torval says when dealing with "abandoned software" it isn't necessarily clear cut.

And its been ruled, in the EU, that if a company continues to use abandoned business software - that they have legally acquired obviously often for millions of dollars - they are not breaking the law. (And that the laws of the land outrank ToSs)

Not sure that has been tested in the US yet so anyone still using Win7 in the US should take note that they might be breaking the law when MS stop supporting it ..... 
    [Deleted User]
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Arterius said:
    I think they are getting closer and closer to announce a partnership with NCSoft. Seems weird to announce this months after the launch and now they have to do some serious work to enforce this. When it might have been a little easier to do since the beginning
    And you can bet when they do it won't be free. NCSoft wants money from those million players that homecoming has now.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Irony -- when operators of a pirated game enforce IP rights for others.

Asm0deuslahnmirMMOGamer71NildenScot

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Mendel said:

Agree. And CoX isn’t abandonware, it has been shut down, a small but important difference.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    MMOGamer71
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• Spriggen1337Spriggen1337 Member UncommonPosts: 276

goozmania said:

actually from a legal standpoint they can still be attacked even if they dont make money..... it depends on if the brands ip is being "hurt" (yes i know they have kinda vaulted this game for a while and dont have any interest in making a new one as far as we are aware)
  • HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    Deja Vu, I remember when NCSoft had the same article.
  • DavodtheTuttDavodtheTutt Member UncommonPosts: 415
    It seems a shame to me that this even comes up -- even before it was a problem for NCsoft, I wondered about people stepping over the line from a tribute character to just trying to make a copy. Without that character being part of the world they were made for, it would never be the same. And it seems to be missing the whole point of the game -- making your OWN heroes and guiding them through adventures! Copying existing heroes is a tawdry display of a lack of imagination.

As to the Homecoming team using the CoH software... I'm generally quite strict about copyrights and such, I even say "facial tissue" instead of the brand name that nearly became synonymous with the generic product. But I feel in this case, now that it's been many years since CoH shut down, and Homecoming has gone public, and NCSoft is NOT suing or demanding they shut down, it's more like someone finding an old computer sitting out on the curb and picking it up, knowing the owner is watching -- and apparently just shrugging or maybe negotiating. If THEY don't care, why should bystanders make such a fuss?
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395

goozmania said:

So I should be able to pirate any digital media and give it away for free? Huh?
    This helps explains why Copyrights, Patents, IP laws etc exist.

The reason patents run 20 years, and IPs used to run around that length was because it was considered a social value to have those things eventually in the public domain, so others could build upon it.  

Enter The Mouse.   Disney is working hard at getting perpetual rights for IPs.  Especially since they are buying many IPs up right and left.   Given that Marvel is in the Mouse House now, everyone really wants to have the look of 'not infringing, no, not us!'

Going to court against Disney is like getting nuked from orbit;  to be sure...

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    I find this funny because in DCUO my main character was a mirror image of Jubilee from Xmen. As a player, dressing your character as close to your favorite heroes as possible shouldn't be a problem.

My opinion.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Sounds to me like he is afraid of trademark bullying and understands there is very little law to protect his business from the giants bullying him on trademark claims.

The legal entities are now realizing the problem and we will see changes in trademark laws however there is ALWAYS the one argument being used that will always allow for trademark bullying.

The argument is that ANYTHING that looks even remotely like our product if allowed to continue will allow even more businesses to come close to our trademarks and eventually the market is flooded with similar and diffusing our products worth.

I don't agree with ANY trademark arguments favoring because imo trademarks are TOO CHEAP around $250 and handed out too easily.

We need to better protect small businesses from the large ones enacting trademark bullying,no small business should operate in fear of his competitors.Better hire some good lawyers or all your work could flush down the toilet.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Torval said:
    lahnmir said:
    Mendel said:

Agree. And CoX isn’t abandonware, it has been shut down, a small but important difference.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    You're not going backwards, you're moving not forwards. Duh.
    I read it three times but I don’t have a clue what you mean. Sorry mate.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    This seems stupid to me. Its a video game. The developers arent infringing so why does it matter what players do with the tools given as long as they arent blatantly offensive or inappropriate.Too many whiney babies in this industry.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,848
    Palebane said:
    This seems stupid to me. Its a video game. The developers arent infringing so why does it matter what players do with the tools given as long as they arent blatantly offensive or inappropriate.Too many whiney babies in this industry.
    Should check out the "Publisher vs Platform" debates around Facebook and Twitter.

Facebook is a platform so they are not legally responsible for what their members do.

A game like City of Heroes would be a publisher so they would be legally responsible for what their players do.

But, that itself raises a question if what Homecoming is doing is legal or not. Probably not but you definitely do not want to enter into a legal red zone while already in a legal gray zone. One official complaint from Marvel or DC will get them immediately shut down by NCsoft.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    On the one hand this is a standard stuff in any MMO I've ever played and yet every conceivable variation of Arya Stark, Legolas, etc. exists in them and nothing is ever done about them.

It's funny that a pirate version of a game that itself was an unlicensed version of the Marvel and DC superhero universes is making a big deal out of this... unless they're just belatedly including this standard TOS bit, have no intention of being more strict with policing it than anyone else, and we're the ones making a big deal out of it.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• unfilteredJWunfilteredJW Member RarePosts: 388
    Gotta stay out of The Rat’s radar.

I'm a MUDder. I play MUDs.

Current: Dragonrealms

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    I want to say something about this;

Why did TonyV walk away from the negotiations when, as he states, they are almost done?  This is scary, IMO.  The answers supplied did not meet my satisfaction, and quite honestly, I think there are a lot of people out there that agree.  Yes, real life rules, but why walk away when you are almost done?  I would think he would be a hero in the gaming world if he pulls this off.  There are a lot of things that are not so good that come to mind about why he is walking away.

I know that a couple of gaming companies have attempted to reach out to NCsoft about this IP, but NCsoft has not replied.  At all, not even a courtesy email.  If they were in negotiations, I would think they would at least say as much to these game companies.  Back in April, when the team said they were in negotiations, a Reddit troll trying to be funny scared them so much that they closed everything they were working on, which cost them some money.  This did not seem like a team in negotiations, and it is hard for me to believe they are in negotiations now.

Don't get me wrong, I really hope the Homecoming Team pulls this off.  CoH still has a lot of life left in it.  But until NCsoft says something to someone, anyone, in the public realm, I am really nervous about the whole situation.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!