Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Kickstarterversary is here!

Comments

• AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    Oh and an update.

Money from the sale is now at $450k

Not including titles sold during dss...

They are going strong
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Did you get a chance to see the details on that limited quantity (250 per server) magic map which displayed player essences on it?

I couldn't open the store description as I wasn't a bloodline backer and I wondered if there were any more details on limitations and provisos? 

Seems like it could be a potentially strong P2W item, I know they sold out like hot cakes on the US servers.  

Also, was the price $50?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    AnOldFart said:
    Oh and an update.

Money from the sale is now at $450k

Not including titles sold during dss...

They are going strong
    Yeah... Caspien was pushing the concept that the game has actually already started in some ways and people are playing certain aspects of it now (the Dance of Dynasties). Enabled of course by the shop...

Now they are Roleplaying a MMORPG that no player has even entered...Its a throwback to the days of old when BBSs were a thing and folks would dial in on their (300 baud) modems and type a post about what their character would do. 

I will hand it to Caspien.  He certainly knows how to pull the strings on the fan base and get them to open their wallets.   
    AnOldFartKyleran[Deleted User]

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295
    @Kyleran

*This ancient artifact was created with methods beyond the comprehension of modern Mann. At first glance it seems to be a blank parchment but, when the user unrolls the map and focuses on it with great effort, specs of ink seem to rise to its surface, each one representing the vital energy of some living creature nearby. Using the map requires significant concentration, tiring its user after just a few moments of use, but it is nonetheless a remarkable tool when used correctly. Very few Asiduurian maps exist today, and each one is considered a treasure of incredible value.

Using the Asiduurian map drains one's energy significantly, and can only be used for short periods at a time before the user is exhausted. At that point, the map cannot be used again until the user has had a chance to regain their energy.*

Which really doesn't explain too much, but does sound OP for only 50 bucks. I was expecting it would cost at least a few hundred. Interesting as a non bloodline account, you were locked out from viewing more details.

I find the community overall confusing. While I find it awesome that SBS has got so much money. I don't understand why people are calling for more stretch goals. SBS was smart, the first time round by stopping their feature creep. Now people are saying that's all fine and feature creep all they want. 
    Yet no one is wanting them to add on mounted combat. Something that isn't coming until sometime after launch. It's all very weird from my view.

edited September 2019
    For me mounted combat should replace bloody gliders and canabalism.

Btw I believe the map shows any life force not just that of mann.
    Thanks for the extra details guys. Yeah, as I was not a bloodline or higher the item displays in the store with a big lock on it and a message saying upgrade your package to purchase.

Wouldn't open when I clicked on it unlike the other store items which were not locked.

Apparently the map is neither sellable or tradable, to prevent scalping, but presumably is lootable like most everything else.

Also sounds like it will have limited range and usage timers so its P2W impact should be somewhat mitigated.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295
    AnOldFart said:

That is really the only positive. But it's still stupid. Reminds me of WoW and the hunter tracking. Anything, no matter the range, shouldn't be able to track anything. This does sound cool if it was some talent. Would keep it really rare, without everyone knowing about it.

I am curious to know how many whales just bought this map on multi accounts. Yet I find it interesting that my server (OCE) doesn't really care for the map as well. At last look only 5 have been sold.

Have not really been tempted this sale. Yet I am honestly surprised at how much money they have made. I had thought they would make at max, 200k. By the end of the event as well. Not way over that within the first week. Would have thought people still be feeling the affect of the super delayed DSS. Then Pre-Elyria not even in sight. I'm not even sure what I think/feel about that. Besides it will show Caspian, that he can really do whatever he wants. I'm happy for them, of course. Just a very much wow moment.
    KyleranAnOldFart
    edited September 2019
    Torrsk said:
    AnOldFart said:

Have not really been tempted this sale. Yet I am honestly surprised at how much money they have made. I had thought they would make at max, 200k. By the end of the event as well. Not way over that within the first week. Would have thought people still be feeling the affect of the super delayed DSS. Then Pre-Elyria not even in sight. I'm not even sure what I think/feel about that. Besides it will show Caspian, that he can really do whatever he wants. I'm happy for them, of course. Just a very much wow moment.
    Well you may have noticed he closed his most recent DSS update with this:

"Pledged to the Continued Development of the Soulborn Engine and the Chronicles of Elyria"

Note there's no mention of "and Eventual Delivery" of either item, and as long as the money keeps flowing in he can keep tossing the backers a bone every now and then keeping this going for many years to come.
    Slapshot1188AnOldFarttweedledumb99[Deleted User]

Torrsk said:
    AnOldFart said:

That is really the only positive. But it's still stupid. Reminds me of WoW and the hunter tracking. Anything, no matter the range, shouldn't be able to track anything. This does sound cool if it was some talent. Would keep it really rare, without everyone knowing about it.

I am curious to know how many whales just bought this map on multi accounts. Yet I find it interesting that my server (OCE) doesn't really care for the map as well. At last look only 5 have been sold.

Yeah Selene has about 70 sold at last look.

NA servers have sold alot more.
    AnOldFart said:
    Torrsk said:
    AnOldFart said:

Yeah Selene has about 70 sold at last look.

NA servers have sold alot more.
    All 250 availble for both, as I understand it within a matter of hours on Luna (NA-East)

Clearly gamers in the New World well appreciate a good P2W opportunity when they see one.

Or..have far too much money and too little common sense....

I'm going with the 2nd one...

:D

AnOldFart

• goldboyy45goldboyy45 Member UncommonPosts: 301
    so does Caspian have any plans to provide an update on the state of the pre-elyria client? Sure he missed another deadline and 2019 hardly seems the "Storm" he said this project was earlier in the year...but is anyone even curious where the hell SbS is with delivering even a tech demo for pledgers to dive into?
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Friday will mark the two week anniversary (which comes every two weeks) of my getting paid money at my job that I'm not giving these guys.
    Slapshot1188tweedledumb99AnOldFart[Deleted User]

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Which Kickstarterversary are we on now, I've lost count?
    That reminds me, when do they plan to start developing the game?

• goldboyy45goldboyy45 Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Which Kickstarterversary are we on now, I've lost count?
    That reminds me, when do they plan to start developing the game?

When they replace Caspian and get a good team going, also would probably need a bit more funding to create a mmo with the scope of this title...not much more money..just 40-50 Million...what do you think they can do with 7M dollars? They have shown us crude maps a rookie indie developer with 5 employees can put together in 2 weeks.
    edited September 2019
    Arterius said:
    Unbelievably according to massivelyop it seems like this was a success as they unlocked most of their goals... 
    Of course it was, they are raking in money hand over fist, people on their forums waxing eloquent about the great and innovative game being made, despite the fact outside of a poor looking tech demo and a way late map project no one has seen much evidence of a game being made.

It's good to be Caspian these days.

[Deleted User]

Arterius said:
    Kyleran said:
    Arterius said:
    Unbelievably according to massivelyop it seems like this was a success as they unlocked most of their goals... 
    Of course it was, they are raking in money hand over fist, people on their forums waxing eloquent about the great and innovative game being made, despite the fact outside of a poor looking tech demo and a way late map project no one has seen much evidence of a game being made.

Sometimes I wish I had the skill to create a twenty minute tech demo so I can fool some suckers and make bank
    Either that or start a cult.

>:) 
    [Deleted User]

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Kyleran said:
    Arterius said:
    Kyleran said:
    Arterius said:

Sometimes I wish I had the skill to create a twenty minute tech demo so I can fool some suckers and make bank
    Either that or start a cult.

>:) 
    Who said you have to pick one or the other?
    Kyleran[Deleted User]

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• DerryFHDerryFH Member UncommonPosts: 57
    edited September 2019
    Kyleran said:
    Did you get a chance to see the details on that limited quantity (250 per server) magic map which displayed player essences on it?

I couldn't open the store description as I wasn't a bloodline backer and I wondered if there were any more details on limitations and provisos? 

Seems like it could be a potentially strong P2W item, I know they sold out like hot cakes on the US servers.  

Also, was the price $50?

Asiduurian Map shop item description:

This ancient artifact was created with methods beyond the comprehension of modern Mann. At first glance it seems to be a blank parchment but, when the user unrolls the map and focuses on it with great effort, specs of ink seem to rise to its surface, each one representing the vital energy of some living creature nearby. Using the map requires significant concentration, tiring its user after just a few moments of use, but it is nonetheless a remarkable tool when used correctly. Very few Asiduurian maps exist today, and each one is considered a treasure of incredible value.

Using the Asiduurian map drains one's energy significantly, and can only be used for short periods at a time before the user is exhausted. At that point, the map cannot be used again until the user has had a chance to regain their energy.

Notes:

• This item is exclusively usable on the XXX Server
    • This cannot be transferred via the website once purchased
    • Limit 1 per account
    Only XXX Remaining 

Angelica and Luna fully sold out
    Selene holding now at 125 items remaining
    and Oceanus Oceanus on 217

250 per server each $50 - easy $50k.

I wonder when SBS will throw away the fair-play veil and COE will become pure P2W. Surely there is heaps of money in America to be milked from whales, Europe is following and only OCE server is in disbelief
    Kyleran
    Awesome reply in one of the threads asking SBS for more maps on one of the servers, becasue people missed the sale

"(...) Should have been on last night to get one like me, who got a map =) Item is overpower, we don't need more than 250 in the world"  

So P2Winners are already happy to have edge over others.

original thread here

No doubt people will sell them on the market for a 10x markup like the cardinal bees.

People were paying $200+ for an digital item that originally sold for $30...
    Then SBS released them again  :D :D :D :D
    edited September 2019
    AnOldFart said:
    No doubt people will sell them on the market for a 10x markup like the cardinal bees.

People were paying $200+ for an digital item that originally sold for $30...
    Then SBS released them again  :D :D :D :smile:

This cannot be transferred via the website once purchased - this is stated for those maps, so only full account auction will be viable at this stage.
    Once game releases, I assume you can give this item to someone in game - problem solved.

So I guess we should stack on bees now and sell them for 199 later ;-p
    Post edited by DerryFH on
    AnOldFart
    On a second thought... WTF seriously? $200 for bees?
    Damn need to switch from being a software analyst to engineer and develop some piece of crap with well polished cash shop - retirement fund secured.
    edited September 2019
    DerryFH said:
    On a second thought... WTF seriously? $200 for bees?
    Damn need to switch from being a software analyst to engineer and develop some piece of crap with well polished cash shop - retirement fund secured.
    Combine it with your personal gamer cult persona as @Slapshot1188 suggested and I think you're golden.

Maybe some sort of deal can be worked out with Ninja or other famous streamer,  bet it would bring in mega millions having someone like that shill for you.

:D 

DerryFH said: guy
    Kyleran said:

I wonder when SBS will throw away the fair-play veil and COE will become pure P2W. Surely there is heaps of money in America to be milked from whales, Europe is following and only OCE server is in disbelief
    I've often felt SBS has struggled to find a publisher because their planned post release monetization model is poor, particularly when stating they won't be selling any of the pre-release items.

Items like this map would be pure gold in a P2W environment and games like Project Europa and others have proven the model can be very successful.

I've long advocated SBS should go full Monty and embrace their whales and sell everything to date and more post release.

It may well be their plan too, but they might be holding back to continue receiving funding from backers who naively believe SBS will keep any promises,  especially if the game's survival is at stake.

edited September 2019
    I'm going to make a game.
    I have 0 experience in games development but I have been thinking of an idea for a game, and I will soon finish my degree in computer science...

Oh damn I'm Caspian with a qualification in the field I'm looking at...

Why did I fall for this again....

----------------------

Scratch that, turns out he actually has a BSc in computer science from University of Missouri-Rolla