Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW Classic drives a huge jump in subscribers According to SuperData

13»

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Iselin said:
    From any source other than Superdata this could mean something.
    Twitch views maybe? Probably still more credible than SD.

:D 
    Iselin

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Kyleran said:
    Iselin said:
    From any source other than Superdata this could mean something.
    Twitch views maybe? Probably still more credible than SD.

I think addon DLs is the current standard for fact around here :)
    [Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Viper482 said:
    Bottom line is naysayers were saying nay nay nay before classic was even announced, said it more once it was announced, and they are still saying it a month into release. Nay away, a shit-ton of people are enjoying the game. Sorry this is like sand in the ol' underwear waistband for some of you. No, not sorry. Nay away!

All we are saying is there is no factual proof a shit-ton of people are actually playing.

You might be right, you could be wrong, but first I suppose we'll need to hash out the specifics of how many is a "shit-ton" of gamers.

I'll start, it is 10M plus subscribers, just like the original reached and exceeded.

Anything less is pure fail....at least from the "shit" perspective .

>:) 

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited September 2019
    Viper482 said:
    Bottom line is naysayers were saying nay nay nay before classic was even announced, said it more once it was announced, and they are still saying it a month into release. Nay away, a shit-ton of people are enjoying the game. Sorry this is like sand in the ol' underwear waistband for some of you. No, not sorry. Nay away!

I think the vast majority thought it would be initially successful based on the resurgence of classic servers in general like Runescape, Lineage II and Rift and pirate servers like WOW and EQ have had (have).   
    I think the question has always been how long will an unchanging server's popularity last. 
    Because if classic WOW would have stayed in the state the current classic is in it would not have lasted 15 years. Change is inevitable.
    Is this a fad or a trend? Or is it just WOW being WOW with no relevance on the genre as a whole because it is it's own thing?  Time will tell.   
    I've read they are going to release BC at some point though.
    Link or it never happened.

I recall an interview shortly after Classics announcement where the Blizzard rep said there was no plan to deliver anything beyond a pure Vanilla experience. 

But then again, they're known to reverse their stands when theres' blood... er money in the water. 

I think now is the time to introduce those who may not have contact with young children to the latest craze, "the Baby Shark Dance."

Be warned, you'll never get it out of your head....

• gunklackergunklacker Member UncommonPosts: 247
    30 days i unsubscribe , nothing to see here.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Phry said:
    Phry said:

Kyleran said:

Phry said:

Kyleran said:

Celcius said:

Yup, it is in excess of 3 million more subs from WoW classic.

Link from Blizzard or it didn't happen.

3 million is probably a very conservative estimate, its likely we will never see any real figures put out by Activision because ironically Classic WoW is a competitor for Retail WoW, which might sound crazy but consider this, why would Classic WoW players buy the next Retail WoW expansion? So while Activision is no doubt hoping that the resurgence of Classic will filter players into Retail, the reverse is probably true, Classic is taking the bulk of what remained of Retail, and there were not that many retail players left. This is the likely scenario, Activision will continue to patch Retail WoW, but they will hold off of putting out another expansion until/unless sufficient players are playing Retail to risk it as putting out an expac and it having sales in the 100's or worse in the tens of thousands rather than numbering in the millions would be devastating. ;)

You say this based on faith, not fact. 

My friends wife plays BFA and loves it. She's in an active guild that lost only a few members, and it remains to be seen what the retention rate will be in the coming months for Classic.

Those who live under the bridge know gamers are a fickle bunch, always chasing rainbows....

Agreed. Classic will fade to a more normalized level in a couple of months. Retail WOW is still humming along. Players are invested. Plus think about the new players who try Classic then load up retail WOW for the first time and see all those QoL changes and say
    "Hey this is better for my time spent. I'll play this version instead."
    I think some fans of Classic will try and throw Retail under the under performing bus but the reality is retail is making Blizzard far more money and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.
    Blizz is working on their new expansion for retail right now. WOW is looked at as a single money making IP not two separate entities like some would like to believe.
    Retail is fine.

More fine than you think it is for a 15 year old game 
    The amount of money they make on retail is much higher than many uniformed people think. 
    You will see at launch of their next expansion pack the types of numbers they can still move for retail. 
    You don't have to like it but facts are facts. 

Except Retail does not have the numbers, when in 1 month alone the rise in subscriptions amounted to the same kind of amount made from the sales of BfA in its entirety, then yes, things are not fine with Retail WoW and they probably haven't been for quite a while. Superdata's 'guesstimate' of 3 million is likely very conservative, and i doubt we will see any official figures any time soon, or ever, but by the same token there are also 'guesstimates' that put Retails sub numbers before Classic as being sub 1 million and is in all probability a huge part of the reason why Classic is even a thing.
    If all was really 'fine' with Retail then you can be very sure that Activision would not have relented on the Classic WoW issue, particularly as doing so has made the CEO look foolish. :/  
    And again I say 'sub 1 million' for a 15 year old sub game is not good? 
    Activision probably think its horrendous, it is after all, all about the $$ and Classic has given them a much needed boost.
    While i think they will do their best to not make a mess of Classic, they really want those players to move over to retail because they need to sell expacs, and that means they have to 'fix' retail to make it more palatable to WoW Classic players, that is no small undertaking and i have to wonder if they have people with the right skills to actually do it. :/
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    DMKano said:
    DeadSpock said:
    DMKano said:

Nilden said:

I wish we could get some official Blizzard numbers but I saw people saying 3 to 4 million subbed for classic.

3-4 million would have a LOT more classic servers.

Probably somewhere between 1 and 1.5mil . Will be a lot more interesting to see the numbers 3 months post launch
    You said "honeymoon phase" first now you moved to 3 months, after 3 months I bet you will say give it a year.
    Personally I'm having a ball almost Hunter 60 planning on leveling a Warrior tank and a Priest healer next.

The honeymoon phase for a sub game is in months.

So the big drops will happen at 1month, 2month and 3 month marks.

Oh, the guy is right. You said it many times in the past that "..Classic will see a massive ( or was it huge or fast ) decline in subs in the first 2-3 weeks. Well , servers are almost identically in comparation with the first week ( EU servers at least ).

Will Classic lose more players in the next few months? Sure, BIG drops? Maybe, but it will be irrelevant from now on because you were wrong! :) 

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 403
    DMKano said: guy
    DeadSpock said:
    DMKano said:

Nilden said:

I wish we could get some official Blizzard numbers but I saw people saying 3 to 4 million subbed for classic.

Probably somewhere between 1 and 1.5mil . Will be a lot more interesting to see the numbers 3 months post launch
    You said "honeymoon phase" first now you moved to 3 months, after 3 months I bet you will say give it a year.
    Personally I'm having a ball almost Hunter 60 planning on leveling a Warrior tank and a Priest healer next.

But that's what masses will do - those who love the game like yourself will be playing it for much longer. 

Either way it's all steady decline from here on out.
    Honeymoon = 1 month
    Honeymoon in Greek: Mina tou melitos translates the month of honey.
    Honeymoon in Albanian: Muaji i mjaltit translates the month of honey.
    That's all the languages I speak but I'm pretty sure in other countries honeymoon means the month of honey too.
    For my honeymoon we went vacation for a month as tradition holds.
    edited September 2019
    DeadSpock said:
    DeadSpock said:
    DMKano said:

Nilden said:

But that's what masses will do - those who love the game like yourself will be playing it for much longer. 

Honeymoon = 1 month
    That's all the languages I speak but I'm pretty sure in other countries honeymoon means the month of honey too.
    Here stateside the original meaning has long been lost, few here ever take a month off after marriage, (except perhaps the Amish) especially to go on a vacation.

Always fun to learn the origin of words, I sure wish we had such here.

I haven't had longer than two weeks without working since Christmas breaks from University....so in about 40 years now.  (Been blessed with good health as well) 

No rest for the wicked, at least 4.5.years to go, perhaps more. My investment choices didn't work out anywhere near as well as @Scorchien, never was very good at gambling or forecasting the future.

:# 

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Kyleran said:
    DeadSpock said:
    DeadSpock said:
    DMKano said:

Nilden said:

Honeymoon = 1 month
    Here stateside the original meaning has long been lost, few here ever take a month off after marriage, (except perhaps the Amish) especially to go on a vacation.

Always fun to learn the origin of words, I sure wish we had such here.

I haven't had longer than two weeks without working since Christmas breaks from University....so in about 40 years now.  (Been blessed with good health as well) 

No rest for the wicked, at least 4.5.years to go, perhaps more. My investment choices didn't work out anywhere near as well as @Scorchien, never was very good at gambling or forecasting the future.

:# 

That's because the US has no minimum vacation standards unlike pretty well every other country in the world. 20 minimum is pretty well the standard world wide and yours is 0.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED