Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Borderlands 3 fastest-selling in 2K’s history, Establishes Franchise As Billon Dollar Brand - MMORP

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited September 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageBorderlands 3 fastest-selling in 2K’s history, Establishes Franchise As Billon Dollar Brand - MMORPG.com

According to a recent press release, Borderlands 3 has achieved 50% more sales in its first five days compared to Borderlands 2, and leading it become the first $1B franchise for 2K.

Read the full story here

Comments

• samvenicesamvenice Member UncommonPosts: 153
    Imagine how much more money would've made, had it been on steam ^_^
    scyllafrenelveonedragonlee66RoinJeffSpicoliPhryDrius75wingoodThe_Kodellinfomatzand 4 others.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited September 2019
    samvenice said:
    I don't think as many people as you think are boycotting it because of Epic. Even then, they'll get all that money when it releases on Steam later. Two paydays.

It'll just prove that going with Epic first is a great idea, financially.

(Edit: I'd prefer it on Steam, for the record, but I wasn't going to miss out on this one)
    Post edited by TheDarkrayne on
    Sovrathalkarionlogelveone[Deleted User]moshraDrius75infomatz
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    samvenice said:
    Well, logically that might not be the case.

If previous games are on Steam (as they are) and this game made more than they did then it stands to reason that Borderlands 3 does not need to be on Steam to be successful. One could even say (though I'm certain this is not true) that Borderlands is more of a success on Epic and therefore Epic is better for sales. (not true but there is a logic there)

What is probably more true is that most people don't care about the Epic/Steam launchers and just want to play more Borderlands.
    elveoneTheDarkraynewingoodgervaise1RueTheWhirl
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MachkeznhoMachkeznho Member UncommonPosts: 424
    To bad 2.5 out of the 4 vault hunters are broken end game and the performance issues and bugs are crippling... but at least it was a financial success?
    uriel_mafessAshikuroPhryRueTheWhirlThe_Kodell
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

Sovrath said:

samvenice said:

Well, logically that might not be the case.

If previous games are on Steam (as they are) and this game made more than they did then it stands to reason that Borderlands 3 does not need to be on Steam to be successful. One could even say (though I'm certain this is not true) that Borderlands is more of a success on Epic and therefore Epic is better for sales. (not true but there is a logic there)

What is probably more true is that most people don't care about the Epic/Steam launchers and just want to play more Borderlands.

or they spend more on advertising this time then ever before? I don't remember much of ads on boderlands, but on this 3rd was pretty easy to spot then, plus there was the whole epic/ steam and borderlands 3 pulling after using steam ad, that much did generate a lot of I hate this word but lets call it "awareness" of the game, so it did reach more people this time then before, plus the game now had the whole destiny 1 and 2 to get people from
    Sovrathwingood
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    samvenice said:
    Maybe a lot. Maybe not.

This ludicrous argument basically seems to stem from bias, unless there are some actual prophets in the Steam community that I'm not aware of.
    elveone
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Yeah, but they probably would have sold at least a little more on Steam. Whether or not they would have made more money is another question.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Yeah, but they probably would have sold at least a little more on Steam. Whether or not they would have made more money is another question.
    They would have made less per unit sold though.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    alkarionlogAeanderDrius75
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209

samvenice said:

STEAM GOOD EPIC BAD
  • moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400
    Pshh, weaksauce.  Call me when they're a trillion dollar brand.  Then I'll be impressed.
    Drius75infomatz
  • uriel_mafessuriel_mafess Member UncommonPosts: 150
    edited September 2019
    I was expecting lots of refunds on this game and even worse user scores in metacritic. Consider me surprised that is having good sales.

Dunno what to make out of it tough. I think my tastes start to hugely differ.
    Arterius said:
    Also hopefully this means they won't add lootboxes. Wouldn't be surprised if they did but here is hoping
    It's typically the biggest brands that add lootboxes. Not the smallest.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Having watched Streamer house play for hours because i was bed ridden,the game is a complete dud to me,two thumbs down.

This was super hyped and yet is only #23 on Twitch right now.You know how many really bad games made it to #3-5 on twitch a LOT.So it kind of proves the game play is very boring to watch and for myself the game would be boring to play.

I already mentioned that Mayhem implementation is lol pathetic,a super lazy effort or lack of.Streamers were on what they said was Mayhem 5 and were showing no care for strategy or defense,just walk/run right in the face of the enemy and fire off 50 rounds until they are dead.It was the most pathetic game play i have ever seen,way too easy and all because the loot is driving the game not the player.

Then seeing those same colored lights rising from the loot is like the icing on the cake,a huge two thumbs down.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Arterius said:
    samvenice said:
    I don't think as many people as you think are boycotting it because of Epic. Even then, they'll get all that money when it releases on Steam later. Two paydays.

It'll just prove that going with Epic first is a great idea.
    def since they got $10 million on top. I would say that a Borderlands 4 is just about guaranteed now and I expect it to be a faster turn around rate then 2 to 3
    I know you haven't played most of the other games but, man, I wish Telltale were still around so we could get Tales from the Borderlands Season 2.
    [Deleted User]
    edited September 2019
    Arterius said:
    Wizardry said:
    Having watched Streamer house play for hours because i was bed ridden,the game is a complete dud to me,two thumbs down.

This was super hyped and yet is only #23 on Twitch right now.You know how many really bad games made it to #3-5 on twitch a LOT.So it kind of proves the game play is very boring to watch and for myself the game would be boring to play.

I already mentioned that Mayhem implementation is lol pathetic,a super lazy effort or lack of.Streamers were on what they said was Mayhem 5 and were showing no care for strategy or defense,just walk/run right in the face of the enemy and fire off 50 rounds until they are dead.It was the most pathetic game play i have ever seen,way too easy and all because the loot is driving the game not the player.

Then seeing those same colored lights rising from the loot is like the icing on the cake,a huge two thumbs down.
    Could be the reverse also. People aren't watching on Twitch because they are actually playing the game
    I think it's more connected to the bad state of the game's cool twitch integration perks. From what I understand, attempting to use these features right now causes a hefty performance hit, and the game isn't exactly performing well as is.

And on the other side of the coin, those same Twitch features may make the game undesirable to stream. They do, after all, give the audience the ability to spawn, buff, and heal powerful enemies. I certainly wouldn't want to deal with that nonsense.
    [Deleted User]elveone
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    samvenice said:
    Big fan of the borderlands franchise but waiting till April. I refuse to put money in the pockets of Sweeney and the shady Epic store with their lousy customer support and intrusive spyware
    Drius75elveone[Deleted User]Oscar1230
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

lahnmir said:
    They would have made less per unit sold though.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    That IS what my last sentence was at least trying to imply.
    edited September 2019
    Arterius said:
    Oh they will sell more in about six months time. Borderlands 3 is not going to be hurting. Its not a steam exclusive forever
    Yeah, I don't think it'll be hurting either way. As it irons things out and adds major DLCs, I think it'll remain popular just because it's a pretty great game. Still, just by pure units sold, it probably would have sold more if it was being sold on multiple platforms at release.

And using the same thing Aeander said, if anyone disagrees with that, "this ludicrous argument basically seems to stem from bias." Which is pretty ironic considering he was using it in the reverse way.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    samvenice said:
    Big fan of the borderlands franchise but waiting till April. I refuse to put money in the pockets of Sweeney and the shady Epic store with their lousy customer support and intrusive spyware
    It would not surprise me in the least if the bulk of the sales so far were from Console versions of the game, it has sold well obviously, but i suspect that PC sales have suffered from being an EGS exclusive. Given the problems with the game though, waiting for a none EGS version might be the smart choice, on several levels not least of which is the issues with EGS itself. ;)
    JeffSpicoliGroqstrongwingoodelveone[Deleted User]
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    samvenice said:
    You are awesome.

Seeing the people that refuse to buy it because of Epic trying to reinforce their decision by jumping on, and inflating, any criticism towards the game is quite funny to watch.

You should all just come and be complete gun sluts with the rest us. You know you want to, really.
    GroqstrongUtinnielveone[Deleted User]
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited September 2019
    Hope you guys are enjoying the Calypso twins, Ava, and that Girl on Fire outro.

I honestly had 0 against Borderlands 3 beyond it being an exclusive but as the information starts coming out... no regrets on waiting. Might not even bother in April at all at this point (like I did w/ The Prequel).

:D
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    edited September 2019

I honestly had 0 against Borderlands 3 beyond it being an exclusive but as the information starts coming out... no regrets on waiting. Might not even bother in April at all at this point (like I did w/ The Prequel).

You ignored the Pre-sequel even though you're a fan of Handsome Jack? That was a mistake, it's all his story. You probably don't even know why he wears the mask.
    elveone
  • GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    edited September 2019
    5 mil copies not bad.

If you really do only care about story, then yeah, you can skip it.