Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whats the current selling point of this game?

Whats the clear seling point on this game?
the main site seem lacking imo. Is this a popular IP or something?  whats the hype?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• WarEnsembleWarEnsemble Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Pantheon is supposed to be a modernization for Everquest 1, to put it simply. The project is headed by the same developer.
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    none? there is no game yet at least, if ever
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • kertinkertin Member UncommonPosts: 259
    there is no hype at all, it's just some guys from MMORPG forum 40+ thinking this game is gonna be actually good, wrong! it's going to be bad, you can thank me later... if it ever comes out you'll see I'm right
    CaffynatedmmolouViper482Temp0[Deleted User]
  • svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    Its supposed to be an old-school mmorpg. 
    Multiple races, classes, lore, focussed primarily on grouping (but with some solo allowed).  Huge world, fights that are more tactical and less 'twitch' than most newer mmos.
    Sovrath[Deleted User]MrYukuzAdamantine
  • SandmanjwSandmanjw Member RarePosts: 527
    none? there is no game yet at least, if ever
    Why do people say this? They have had several hours long play sessions in the game to show off what they have so far. If the full retail release was the only thing that counted as having a game anymore...we would not be having a lot to be talked about much:P

This type of old school grouping game is not for me...but even i can see from the different stories and times they have had groups out playing the game, that they could release something now that was in much better shape than a lot of the EA titles that steam release almost every day.

That does not mean that they will release anything...but they have shown the basics of a game that can be played right now.

So saying that they have no game is just not true.  They have a game...will it be finalized and completed and retail released...now that could be a discussion.  Will it appeal to a lot of people? No telling, lot of people pay for some stuff i never would, so no clue there either.

Of all the games out there being made now, i do have to say that i would bet on this one being released, in some form, over some that have more hype and are talked about though.

SovrathsvannTemp0
  • TwoTubesTwoTubes Member UncommonPosts: 328
    edited September 2019
    the main site seem lacking imo. Is this a popular IP or something?  whats the hype?
    Challenge/harsh penalties for failure in addition to there being no P2W/cash shop.  That is something that has been lacking in games since before the wow era.
    MrYukuz
  • GeekyGeeky Member UncommonPosts: 446
    High fantasy RPG.  What else is really needed?  Look at some of the games that are EA games.  They have plenty of people playing them and the games aren't even EA ready.  
    svann
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited September 2019
    It might end up like Vanguard Saga of Heroes.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    It's not the same for everyone. For me, I want it to be as close to original Everquest as possible, though I know it won't be that, really. More like it will be something that reminds me of that. 
    Sensai

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    TwoTubes said:
    Challenge/harsh penalties for failure in addition to there being no P2W/cash shop.  That is something that has been lacking in games since before the wow era.
    What are these harsh penalties?
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    edited September 2019
    bcbully said:

In EQ when you died you lost a significant amount of experience that could take a while to earn back. Getting a rez from a healer could mitigate that loss. It was possible to de-level, meaning if you were level 25 and you had just achieved that level, and you died, hello level 24 again.

When you died, your body and everything you had on you when you died lay somewhere out in the forest or whereever you were. Your "soul" would be wherever you last bound it. So you either made a naked corpse run back to your body, got someone to rez you where you lay, or equipped yourself with spare gear from your bank before running back.

If you left your body too long without retrieving it, it would be gone. This was very rare, but the mere possibility was alarming.

Let's say you get killed by a dragon. Your body is at the foot of that dragon. You would need help retrieving your corpse. Various classes have abilities for that. Otherwise, you are stuck until someone kills the dragon.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited September 2019
    I really gave it little thought ,then one article Brad said he was focused on making a game that "made sense".
    That statement is exactly what i am looking for,every design decision has to make sense.When things make sense there is immersion in the world,systems are not "just there"because we need have a way to give xp or loot  but there because they make sense.

Seeing how none of the other devs hardly ever make sense,i find this a tall order but we will see.
    One perfect example is screen clutter,why are hot bars not hidden off the screen until we call for them?Why as soon as you receive a quest it shows up with a marker on a map "go there".Why are there unrealsitic markers over npc heads?Why was food in previous EQ games only OOC which makes NO sense.

I could go on and on,or you take a look at Wow and see every design mistake known to mmorpg's.

I do not want GAITED or linear game play,i want to feel like i am a real character in a real world,that means i am free to move about as i please and can choose where i go and what i do.This is why linear questing is such a rubbish design idea,it forces you to do it to get your xp,forces you to do it in a linear order where you are hand held to each section of the map/zone.

Making sense means you do NOT get xp from quests.XP is short for experience,you gain experience by using your skills/abilities and those individual skills should have experience levels.

I find it hilarious studios have been designing these games so that you do 500 meaningless fetch me quests and all of a sudden you are ready to RAID a Boss....sigh,such bad game design.When you would sell out the integrity of your game just to give the players an easy way to what they want,your a sad developer.
    Mendelsvann

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Shooter564567Shooter564567 Member UncommonPosts: 44
    edited September 2019
    Arterius said:

They have said in newsletters something about corpse recovery. I have no idea what that means.

• Shooter564567Shooter564567 Member UncommonPosts: 44
    edited September 2019
    it means when you die you need to go back to your corpse wherever you died to reclaim lost items and shit
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Amathe said:
    bcbully said:

In EQ when you died you lost a significant amount of experience that could take a while to earn back. Getting a rez from a healer could mitigate that loss. It was possible to de-level, meaning if you were level 25 and you had just achieved that level, and you died, hello level 24 again.

When you died, your body and everything you had on you when you died lay somewhere out in the forest or whereever you were. Your "soul" would be wherever you last bound it. So you either made a naked corpse run back to your body, got someone to rez you where you lay, or equipped yourself with spare gear from your bank before running back.

If you left your body too long without retrieving it, it would be gone. This was very rare, but the mere possibility was alarming.

Let's say you get killed by a dragon. Your body is at the foot of that dragon. You would need help retrieving your corpse. Various classes have abilities for that. Otherwise, you are stuck until someone kills the dragon.
    I don’t believe they said anything about xp lose, I could be wrong. Corpse runs are considered harsh?

my point is, it seems people are projecting their desires on this game rather than there being actual selling points.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    bcbully said:

my point is, it seems people are projecting their desires on this game rather than there being actual selling points.
    I don't know what the penalties will be in Pantheon. That is probably still being evaluated. 

A naked corpse run in EQ is different than, say, in Wow. In WoW your spirit is unslayable as you run back. In EQ your naked spirit (which is much weaker than your normal self) could be killed. Possibly again and again. And each one carries a big xp loss.

I would suggest you try it before scoffing at it.

Kyleran

• GeekyGeeky Member UncommonPosts: 446
    Amathe said:
    I don't know what the penalties will be in Pantheon. That is probably still being evaluated.   A naked corpse run in EQ is different than, say, in Wow. In WoW your spirit is unslayable as you run back. In EQ your naked spirit (which is much weaker than your normal self) could be killed. Possibly again and again. And each one carries a big xp loss.  I would suggest you try it before scoffing at it.

This is what made me fear death.  This is what helped me learn patience. 
    Amathe
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    bcbully said:
    Amathe said:
    bcbully said:

I don’t believe they said anything about xp lose, I could be wrong. Corpse runs are considered harsh?

Well, I think people are projecting their desires on the game. But that is also within the confines of the game's definition of "old school game."

I also think people are going to be disappointed because, though they've said they are going to implement a more old school style, they will most likely not have as harsh a death penalty as the early games like EQ or Lineage 2.

Mendel
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I think that the game is banking on the popularity of a nostalgic wave in a segment of the gaming population.  How successful that will be, and how long that success can be sustained is anyone's guess.

Right now, entirely too many games are selling the promise of a game with a specific idea, not actual games.  Pantheon falls into this category for now, even though I feel VR has the most likely chance of delivering a game.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    I heard the original name of the game was:

NOSTALGIA ONLINE

The Rose Colored Spectacle

ArglebargleViper482Temp0[Deleted User][Deleted User]
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Sovrath said:
    bcbully said:
    Amathe said:
    bcbully said:

Well, I think people are projecting their desires on the game. But that is also within the confines of the game's definition of "old school game."

I also think people are going to be disappointed because, though they've said they are going to implement a more old school style, they will most likely not have as harsh a death penalty as the early games like EQ or Lineage 2.

Never played EQ1, but I did experience corpse runs in Vanguard which I think was told were toned down some from the first game.

Still, I didn't care much for the mechanic as implemented, preferring how Shadowbane handles it where equipped gear always stayed with the player,  even in death.

I hate playing games where the best gear is hard to obtain or very expensive to obtain and can be lost when dying.

Just too much of a disincentive for me to ever risk wearing it, which Shadowbane neatly solved.

EVE was OK in this regard,  but still I wouldn't fly or fit certain expensive pirate faction gear, especially in PVP.

Those who live under the bridge are not fans of easily losing hard won progression.

>:) 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Amathe said:
    It's not the same for everyone. For me, I want it to be as close to original Everquest as possible, though I know it won't be that, really. More like it will be something that reminds me of that. 

Amathe project 1999 are bringing out a new server for everquest called the green server starting with the original game.  If you were a fan of the original everquest like me, you might want to check it out. Link below.

https://www.project1999.com/

Thank you.

• PoliticaldadPoliticaldad Member UncommonPosts: 134
    Here's an oldie but a goodie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW_yVGPd0ns

Amathe
    Kyleran said:

Those who live under the bridge are not fans of easily losing hard won progression.

I understand and a lot, maybe most, people nowadays feel that way.

In EQ, the apprehension of death and its consequences made the world scarier, which tended to bring the community together. It was us against the game. I feel like you might have experienced this in Eve? 
    TEKK3N

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited September 2019
    Amathe said:
    Kyleran said:

I understand and a lot, maybe most, people nowadays feel that way.

In EQ, the apprehension of death and its consequences made the world scarier, which tended to bring the community together. It was us against the game. I feel like you might have experienced this in Eve? 
    Oh yes, quite often in fact, but the difference is rarely did I fly anything I wasn't willing to lose, (OK, that's not true,  I hate losing anything) where as in a game like EQ you are expected to wear your best putting at risk items you may have worked months to obtain.

Also, I was quite good at managing my risk in EVE, and if I say so myself, excellent at evading danger.

Most of my ship losses can be attributed to my most feared opponent, "death by recliner." If I'm actually awake and paying attention (Netflix is a newer threat) I'm pretty hard to pin down and rarely lose expensive ships or assets, even in PVP battles which go badly.

(That freighter with 3B ISK worth of ore was an anomaly, let's speak no more of it.)

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon