Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Monster Hunter: Iceborne Review - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited September 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageMonster Hunter: Iceborne Review - MMORPG.com

The Monster Hunter franchise is always unique in how every battle feels like a dance. I played most of Monster Hunter World: Iceborne solo and every monster might as well have been my dance partner. The Iceborne expansion delivers a sequel’s worth of content with how much it expands Monster Hunter World.

Read the full story here

Comments

• 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    Basic metal armor gathered from nodes in the new region is better than augmented elder dragon armor of the base game. Currently there is no point to play it on PC outside of finishing storyline to rank 16 (to prepare for the expansion).

Thank you for your time!

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

3dom said:

Basic metal armor gathered from nodes in the new region is better than augmented elder dragon armor of the base game. Currently there is no point to play it on PC outside of finishing storyline to rank 16 (to prepare for the expansion).

not quite, the top gear from base do works well for the firsts monsters, enough for you to gear up, so if you do have drachen, it will help a lot in the begginning. but the idea for master gear is the same as the other monster hunter it will give you more power

but strange the article on his cons says master gear remove the challenge? most monster was never a challenge only one or 2 give problems
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • CynehildCynehild Member UncommonPosts: 102
    I wish the best of luck for the game and it's great that people seem to like it. Personally I'm having too much fun in Dauntless I can't see myself going back to MH in a few months.
    sumdumguy1WalkinGlenn
  • Some_Guy_dot_JPGSome_Guy_dot_JPG Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    The Clutch Claw tends to be situational in solo, but it really shines overall in multiplayer. As a mostly solo player myself, I found it pretty difficult to land wounds consistently, and even if I did, I wouldn't often be able to take full advantage of those wounds, as monsters would constantly move around and prevent me from landing those precision hits. For most (but not all) monsters, the risk/reward wasn't really worth it in solo.

In multiplayer, however, this thing has the potential to CRUSH fights. It's MUCH easier for four players to wound a distracted monster, and MUCH easier for all of them to land hits on wounded parts. It's also much easier to wound multiple parts, or focus on key regions like heads, tails, and armored bits. Flinch Shots are also more valuable in multiplayer, as having a whole team unload on a fallen monster is far more impactful than just you and your Palico. The Clutch Claw makes teamwork waaaay more fun and rewarding.

Beyond the solo vs. multiplayer caveats, there's one use that EVERY player should try, and that's softening up armored parts. In Master Rank, there are a lot of monsters that'll cause deflections for anything less than white sharpness (or cause deflections regardless of sharpness). Clutch Claw wounds negates that advantage. This is fantastic for fights such as Kirin, as it allows you to completely ignore its notorious Lightning Armor. This also helps against fights like Yian Garuga and Azure Rathalos, who have armored backs/wings that can easily cause deflections that'll kill you.

Finally, for the big boys, the Clutch Claw is extremely valuable. The final elder dragon's first stage goes by MUCH faster if you wound its head early (and the wound covers a MASSIVE area), and the second stage is much safer if you wound its tail, as it'll soften up his entire back half (an area that's much safer to attack, but normally provides negligible damage). Also, doing a Flinch Shot at the right spot will cause a rockfall that'll do obscene amounts of damage.

In any case, the Claw isn't a mandatory part of a hunter's toolkit, but it's definitely worth experimenting with.
    [Deleted User]
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    Didn't even touch on the important aspects of the expansion.

No more streamstone roulette, no more awful investigation system. The end game is easily 100x more enjoyable than the current investigation system. Albeit a bit confusing with the back end math that happens within it, but still loads better than farming the same elders with the same spawn points in the same region ad-nausea.
  • LastlaughlolLastlaughlol Member UncommonPosts: 145
    Seemed like the review didn't really explain why this is a 9.5/10 just named off some vague reasons like "New monsters dood!"
    "new zone! ice traps!"

10/10!
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    Seemed like the review didn't really explain why this is a 9.5/10 just named off some vague reasons like "New monsters dood!"
    "new zone! ice traps!"

10/10!
    I mean, MHW was already a 10/10. Even if it was just more MHW, that's all we need.
    [Deleted User]
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    edited September 2019
    I haven't been playing my MHW when I came back from my holidays I started WoW and then you can guess what happened. So did I get this part right, you need to have beaten the first game i.e. master rank to play this expansion ?
    Chamber of Chains
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    cheyane said:
    I haven't been playing my MHW when I came back from my holidays I started WoW and then you can guess what happened. So did I get this part right, you need to have beaten the first game i.e. master rank to play this expansion ?
    The main story yes. The PC version is scheduled for January so you have some time left.

And why is your troll avatar a carbon copy of my Original WoW mage I spend 4000+ hours on?  o:)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer