Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ashes of Creation Apocalypse Enters Early Access Today - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited September 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageAshes of Creation Apocalypse Enters Early Access Today - MMORPG.com

Ashes of Creation's Apocalypse battle royale will be hitting Early Access today, giving players a chance to jump into the MMORPG's Battle Royale mode.

Read the full story here

Comments

• boris20boris20 Member RarePosts: 404
    riiiiight
    momintimDrius75
  • jgDuffayjgDuffay Member UncommonPosts: 237
    Literally a cash grab xD
    FolmenDrius75
  • renstarensta Member RarePosts: 728
    So much disappointment in this one.
    boris20Folmen

Basically clicking away text windows ruins every MMO, try to have fun instead of rushing things. Without story and lore all there is left is a bunch of mechanics.
    Add Multi-Quote

• boris20boris20 Member RarePosts: 404
    jgDuffay said:
    Literally a cash grab xD
    My thoughts exactly. 
    Folmen
  • koldmiserkoldmiser Member RarePosts: 348
    Damn. So bummed about this. I really wanted to play the MMO.
    OzmodanFolmen
  • TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    boris20 said:
    jgDuffay said:
    Literally a cash grab xD
    My thoughts exactly. 
    Did they actually say they're doing this for the cash?  I thought they did but all the BS blurs together after a while.
    bcbullyFolmen
  • HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    Great idea, bring out a BR title on the end of a dead cycle... Some developers and publishers are so far gone it doesn't even make logical or business sense, unless it's some tax fraud, it's usually tax fraud.
    Folmen
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    edited September 2019

Hashbrick said:

Great idea, bring out a BR title on the end of a dead cycle... Some developers and publishers are so far gone it doesn't even make logical or business sense, unless it's some tax fraud, it's usually tax fraud.

I see that you don't follow the development of the main game with that post of yours.
    AngreeegamerFolmen
  • MauroDiogoMauroDiogo Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Ew.

To be honest, I hope it tanks, because I'm totally getting the vibe that if it does well, they'll just can the MMO side of it.
    Ozmodan[Deleted User]FolmenTacticalZombeh
  • R3d.GallowsR3d.Gallows Member UncommonPosts: 155
    Umm... no.
    FolmenDrius75[Deleted User]
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Ho hum, battle royal is pretty much dead.  What a waste of developer resources!

Folmen
  • ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,081

koldmiser said:

And you will be able to, but it takes more than 2 years to develop a MMO.
    AngreeegamerFolmenSlapshot1188
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Valentina said:

koldmiser said:

And you will be able to, but it takes more than 2 years to develop a MMO.
    Everyone knows that every good mmorpg starts with a stand-alone Battle Royale first.
    ScotFolmenwingoodsupx2TacticalZombehOzmodansschrupp
  • PoliticaldadPoliticaldad Member UncommonPosts: 134
    Hope the testing gives the data they are looking for to incorporate into the MMO for PvP and Weapon balance

I can see why they thought a BR would be good to use as a PvP sounding board because if you launch a game with poor or lopsided issues in PvP people will bitch and complain about lack of testing....

Who am I kidding Forum Trolls and General Game Forum folks will bitch about anything just because they can.

Ewww thats not Blue.... Uuuuggh that Hat is to large... OMG her Boobs aren't big enough...
    bcbullyAngreeegamerFolmen
  • gelraengelraen Member UncommonPosts: 316
    I think this is sad. I'm sure the developers likely need the injection of cash to keep things going, but it definitely comes at the cost of undermining confidence in the production. As MMO enthusiasts, watching and waiting for a real release, this just sucks all of our enthusiasm out.
    Folmen
  • kripplinkripplin Member UncommonPosts: 2
    sigh its sad to see so many young minds already stuck in a rut. its like snot oozes from your face if they dont follow the path you think is the right way. At the very least this mmo will have had its pvp and skillset tested thoroughly to such a standard as never seen before. All you get from being new and innovative it is a bunch of punks whining. Ive been online since the 90s. the newer wave of gamers have the most absurd thoughts and the thinnest skin. Thanks Intrepid for trying to break outside the mold / rut the gaming industry has had since WoW themeparked everything into garbage.
    Angreeegamer
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    edited September 2019
    Arterius said:
    boris20 said:
    jgDuffay said:
    Literally a cash grab xD
    My thoughts exactly. 
    Did they actually say they're doing this for the cash?  I thought they did but all the BS blurs together after a while.
    They said it was for testing combat. They never have come out and said it  was just for the cash. 
    Late last year I read a transcription of an interview / Q &A session of Steve-o right after the Apocalypse announcement.

He was asked why they were monetizing this "testing tool" and he said last years combat testing was unplanned so they were counting on Apoc to help recover the unexpected expenditure.

I even recall the canny reviewer asking about the "reported" 30M in core funding plus the $4K plus in crowdfunding and why it couldn't cover any shortfalls for now.

Can't recall the exact reply only that Steve-o masterfully evaded but I did come away thinking perhaps they really didn't have the funding previously stated.

Of course back then he also claimed no MMORPG resources were diverted to deliver APOC and the MMO was still likely to deliver by end of 2019 or shortly after.

Yeah, right.

Those who live under the bridge no longer believe anything Steve-o promises,  proven to be a liar like most of the rest 

>:) 
    Folmen

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AngreeegamerAngreeegamer Member UncommonPosts: 59

Kyleran said:

Arterius said:

boris20 said:

jgDuffay said:

Literally a cash grab xD

My thoughts exactly. 

They said it was for testing combat. They never have come out and said it  was just for the cash. 

Late last year I read a transcription of an interview / Q &A session of Steve-o right after the Apocalypse announcement.

He was asked why they were monetizing this "testing tool" and he said last years combat testing was unplanned so they were counting on Apoc to help recover the unexpected expenditure.

I even recall the canny reviewer asking about the "reported" 30M in core funding plus the $4K plus in crowdfunding and why it couldn't cover any shortfalls for now.

Can't recall the exact reply only that Steve-o masterfully evaded but I did come away thinking perhaps they really didn't have the funding previously stated.

Of course back then he also claimed no MMORPG resources were diverted to deliver APOC and the MMO was still likely to deliver by end of 2019 or shortly after.

Yeah, right.

Those who live under the bridge no longer believe anything Steve-o promises,  proven to be a liar like most of the rest 

Got a source on any of that?

I really doubt Steve ever said combat testing isn't planned when looking at their expected budget. Public 24/7 servers available for millions to download for free? That absolutely was never promised in the original budget plan and would become a huge drain on the MMO resources if it was completely free with no microtransactions.

24/7 was originally only supposed to be available after Alpha 2 to backers who paid $150+ for packs that would cover the server costs for the few months they'd be getting 24/7 servers. That original plan would have them only having to financially support servers for a few thousand and would be in the large MMO build where people would likely not test what the developers want them to test.

It makes sense to have some separate monetization plan for the public demo of their combat while the backers get the full MMO (the thing everyone is here for) to test exclusively when it's more polished and ready.
    bcbullySlapshot1188
  • AngreeegamerAngreeegamer Member UncommonPosts: 59

Arterius said:

Kyleran said:

Arterius said:

boris20 said:

jgDuffay said:

Literally a cash grab xD

My thoughts exactly. 

Yeah, right.

I really doubt Steve ever said combat testing isn't planned when looking at their expected budget. Public 24/7 servers available for millions to download for free? That absolutely was never promised in the original budget plan and would become a huge drain on the MMO resources if it was completely free with no microtransactions.

24/7 was originally only supposed to be available after Alpha 2 to backers who paid $150+ for packs that would cover the server costs for the few months they'd be getting 24/7 servers. That original plan would have them only having to financially support servers for a few thousand and would be in the large MMO build where people would likely not test what the developers want them to test.

It makes sense to have some separate monetization plan for the public demo of their combat while the backers get the full MMO (the thing everyone is here for) to test exclusively when it's more polished and ready.

Man you really white knight this game. I will say this and this alone a battle royal is a terrible way to test PVP combat in a MMO. They are too completely different genres. Not only that but its not like they are doing large scale battles either, which is what they should be doing. I know that large scale battles are supposed to be coming and I don't doubt that they will.

What I doubt is that if this is a success they won't take it and run with it. If they start making money off the BR what says that they have to finish the MMO. It happend with Fortnite with Save the World. If the BR is a success then they will start putting more and more resources into that mode and 2 years from now the MMO will be dead

It's a good game and one of the more promising MMO's on the horizon, why wouldn't I support it?

I'm an ooold alpha tester of a lot of games. I've seen it all, from having devs drop us in a grey box and kill each other, to having us all run to one spot to try and lag the server out. Notice anything with those two examples? The developers often try to herd players into one spot to test the servers, and the developers often try to force players to just focus on killing each other.

Both those tests generate data on balancing skills for pvp, and pushing server technical limits for larger scale battles. Both of those requirements are what a BR does instinctively as a game mode.

As for thinking the combat is vastly different, the MMO is going to be a hybrid with action and tab. We've never really seen that done before, maybe revelations online? All the skills in the BR are action skills just outside of their class kits. We've seen footage of them taking those br skills already and playing with them as tab alternatives, or giving them to specific builds for balancing.

Your last issue with the game is literally baseless conjecture. Assuming that because one person did something, these people will do the same. I suggest people just focus on what's in front of them as actual facts instead of spinning down the "what if" rabbit holes.
    [Deleted User]bcbullySlapshot1188
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509

Kyleran said:

Arterius said:

boris20 said:

jgDuffay said:

Literally a cash grab xD

My thoughts exactly. 

Yeah, right.

Unfortunately I dont have a link,  but I recall the additional funds were needed for the unplanned testing (whatever it was called) they did in the summer of 2018 which was supposed to have been requested by the playerbase.

Those who live under the bridge well remember how events happened even when purged from the gaming community's collective memory.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    Arterius said:
    kripplin said:
     The newer wave of gamers have the most absurd thoughts and the thinnest skin. Thanks Intrepid for trying to break outside the mold / rut the gaming industry has had since WoW themeparked everything into garbage.
    This is a funny part of your comment to me because a lot of people on this site talk about how they have articles of clothing older then me and I am 29. Sometimes we can just smell B.S.
    Maybe he should've used the argument that we are all old and stuck in our ways, that would've come off as slightly more legit.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Kyleran said:

Kyleran said:

Arterius said:

boris20 said:

jgDuffay said:

Literally a cash grab xD

My thoughts exactly. 

Yeah, right.

Unfortunately I dont have a link,  but I recall the additional funds were needed for the unplanned testing (whatever it was called) they did in the summer of 2018 which was supposed to have been requested by the playerbase.

Those who live under the bridge well remember how events happened even when purged from the gaming community's collective memory.

Ok Unk this under the bridge stuff is getting weird...
    KyleranTiller[Deleted User]
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    edited September 2019
    bcbully said:
    Kyleran said:

Kyleran said:

Arterius said:

boris20 said:

jgDuffay said:

Literally a cash grab xD

My thoughts exactly. 

Yeah, right.

Ok Unk this under the bridge stuff is getting weird...

2nd that
    Kyleran
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    For those that played the last test and this one.. Any noticable changes?

I do not agree with the BR mode.. I would have rather them I testing or EA on the earliest game. Just think how much time was lost on this mode.. I'm sure this will make it into the main game but just have seeing time lost toward the big picture.