Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do You Consider Yourself A "Gamer?"

124»

Comments

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    edited September 2019
    ET3D said:

The thing that weirds me out is when people start acting like there is a gaming culture. Like people that wear Mario 1 shirts and don't wash properly. Yeah, those people exist, but they are only the most obnoxious people that game, not the representative ones.
    I'm not sure how 'don't wash properly' comes into this. There's gaming culture, whether it's in the form of gaming cosplay, figure collection or t-shirts. These people aren't necessarily obnoxious, unless you in general dislike people who are very dedicated to a hobby (which I admit can be annoying for any hobby).
    I don't view cosplay, figure collecting and t-shirts wearing as representing "gaming" culture. It represents kid culture at best where everyone is trying to be a part of something. The stereotype of gamers is what I'm addressing. It reminds me of the same stereotypes that programmers used to get. The point I'm making is that gamers are varied and different and that "gaming" culture (the cosplay, figure collecting, t-shirts) is child culture (that adults still buy into), not gaming culture.
    Post edited by BeansnBread on
    AlBQuirky
  • LinifLinif Member UncommonPosts: 338
    I'd say a gamer is defined by how long and often they play games. I myself play games for extended periods of time per day, or I did. Since I started my career, I dropped from playing games 8+hours a day to maybe an hour during the weekdays and 8+ on the weekends.

Hard to say, I still consider myself a gamer. Without my career, I'd certainly be playing games for extended periods of time as it is my main source of entertainment.

Or perhaps, what makes a gamer could be the persons tendency to pick playing a game over anything else?

On both accounts, I'd say I'm a gamer.
    AlBQuirkyScot
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited September 2019
    I am a son
    I am a husband
    I am a friend
    I am a brother
    I am a father
    I am a coach
    I am a supporter
    I am a citizen
    I am a musician
    I am a house owner
    I am a stock holder
    I am a man
    I am a gamer
    etc.
    etc.

We are many labels, and the unique combination of those makes us who we are. I am a gamer, its one of the many things that make me me, one of my many labels. 

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    AlBQuirky[Deleted User]
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    lahnmir said:
    I am a son
    I am a husband
    I am a friend
    I am a brother
    I am a father
    I am a coach
    I am a supporter
    I am a citizen
    I am a musician
    I am a house owner
    I am a stock holder
    I am a man
    I am a gamer
    etc.
    etc.

We are many labels, and the unique combination of those makes us who we are. I am a gamer, its one of the many things that make me me, one of my many labels. 

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Great response. Many are taking my question as ONLY a gamer, instead of just... a gamer.

ET3D brought in the interesting "culture aspect", and I'm wondering how much that weighs with people's answers here :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited September 2019
    lahnmir said:
    I am a son
    I am a husband
    I am a friend
    I am a brother
    I am a father
    I am a coach
    I am a supporter
    I am a citizen
    I am a musician
    I am a house owner
    I am a stock holder
    I am a man
    I am a gamer
    etc.
    etc.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Yeah bitch, yeah bitch, call me Steve-o

I am a wild boy

Those living under the bridge are EST. for life.

>:) 
    AlBQuirky

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ET3DET3D Member UncommonPosts: 325
    I don't view cosplay, figure collecting and t-shirts wearing as representing "gaming" culture. It represents kid culture at best where everyone is trying to be a part of something.
    Culture, in this context, does have to do with people trying to be part of something. It's not a "kid thing". Moshing is part of metal culture, for example. It's not something that everyone listening to metal will do or even be aware of, but it's still a thing. I'd say that of anything that's done as a hobby, there's only a small subset of people who are really into the 'culture' of the thing. But still, that doesn't mean that it should be discounted.
    AlBQuirky
    edited September 2019
    lahnmir said:
    We are many labels, but some of these labels are factual, and some are much more loosely defined. Gamer isn't a simple description, which is why a thread like this exists. There would be no question whether you're a son, father, home or stock owner. For things like coach and musician, there may be some grey area. For 'gamer', it's a lot bigger.

Taking the definition that comes when I google 'gamer definition' -- "a person who plays video games or participates in role-playing games" -- a very large chunk of the population are gamers. But certainly not all of us agree with this definition.

You chose to label yourself a gamer. That doesn't really say much, except that in your internal definition you are a gamer. Without saying what this means to you, this label doesn't have much meaning to others.

Post edited by ET3D on
    AlBQuirkyPhaserlight
    edited September 2019
    ET3D said:
    I don't view cosplay, figure collecting and t-shirts wearing as representing "gaming" culture. It represents kid culture at best where everyone is trying to be a part of something.
    Culture, in this context, does have to do with people trying to be part of something. It's not a "kid thing". Moshing is part of metal culture, for example. It's not something that everyone listening to metal will do or even be aware of, but it's still a thing. I'd say that of anything that's done as a hobby, there's only a small subset of people who are really into the 'culture' of the thing. But still, that doesn't mean that it should be discounted.
    I view gamers like tv watchers. They are spread so thin and are so varied that saying there is tv culture would be asinine. You would need to describe a culture set more broadly and then ascribe gaming to a more specific, more defined culture (for instance, young women in the middle east wearing burqas play games as well as Indonesian grandfathers). The only place that "gaming culture" exists is at the cons which I would consider gaming con culture. And that is a corporate representation of it built purely to sell products.
    AlBQuirkyPhaserlight
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    What are the qualifications for this 'gamer' thing? How many games and for how long each day must I play? I think I might qualify but am shaky on the details.
    Chamber of Chains
    I view gamers like tv watchers.
    And as is obvious from this thread, not everyone agrees with your definition. Certainly if you define gamers as being anyone who plays games (which is the analogy to TV watchers), then it's indeed impossible to further describe it. But that's not what 'gamer' usually means.
    AlBQuirky
    ET3D said:
    And as is obvious from this thread, not everyone agrees with your definition. Certainly if you define gamers as being anyone who plays games (which is the analogy to TV watchers), then it's indeed impossible to further describe it. But that's not what 'gamer' usually means.
    And according to you, gamer means wearing gaming t-shirts, cosplay and figure collecting.

You said mosh pits were part of metal culture. But metal is a specific type of music in the same way a game type is a specific type of game. We don't say "music" culture. We say metal culture. In the same way we might say con culture or WoW culture.
    AlBQuirky
    edited September 2019
    And according to you, gamer means wearing gaming t-shirts, cosplay and figure collecting.
    Not at all. You can read around this thread to get some more ideas.

We don't say "music" culture.
    But we certainly can. It's a valid description, especially since moshing isn't specific to metal and didn't start from it.

Figure collection or gaming t-shirt isn't necessarily linked to a specific sub-culture of gaming. It would appeal to any gamers. And yes, that's certainly prevalent with kids, but it won't be unexpected to see an adult who's really into gaming (plays a lot, follows games) have some gaming memorabilia. People who back games on Kickstarter, for example, many of them do appreciate physical stuff.

(When I went with my son to a gaming con, I did wear my Underworld Ascendant t-shirt.)
    AlBQuirky
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    ET3D said:

You said mosh pits were part of metal culture. But metal is a specific type of music in the same way a game type is a specific type of game. We don't say "music" culture. We say metal culture. In the same way we might say con culture or WoW culture.
    Those who live under the bridge say "Metalheads" and scoff at your oxymoron.  Metal "culture" indeed.

>:) 
    BeansnBreadAlBQuirky

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DwaaawffulDwaaawfful Member UncommonPosts: 65
    AlBQuirkyPhaserlight
    Stumpiness & Unbridled Misery Masquerading as VIRTUE

Need an AI-Free Elf Names Generator to bring your next elven character to life? Why ... course you do, you darn fool!
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Kyleran said:
    ET3D said:

Those who live under the bridge say "Metalheads" and scoff at your oxymoron.  Metal "culture" indeed.

>:) Meathead always needed a haircut and had early balding Archie had him pegged.

AlBQuirky
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
    edited September 2019
    ET3D said:

But we certainly can. It's a valid description, especially since moshing isn't specific to metal and didn't start from it.

Figure collection or gaming t-shirt isn't necessarily linked to a specific sub-culture of gaming. It would appeal to any gamers. And yes, that's certainly prevalent with kids, but it won't be unexpected to see an adult who's really into gaming (plays a lot, follows games) have some gaming memorabilia. People who back games on Kickstarter, for example, many of them do appreciate physical stuff.

(When I went with my son to a gaming con, I did wear my Underworld Ascendant t-shirt.)
    The problem is that many gamers, if not most gamers, don't actually care about the things you list. It makes grouping them together useless - in the same way using moshing to help describe music culture is useless. You shouldn't use the phrase music culture because it is far too broad to be useful. Just like gamer is far too broad to be useful.

You are being specific because you are a person that goes to cons and wears gaming t-shirts so you feel that part of a culture. But that's not gamer culture, that's kid culture and con culture. Gamers are more broad than you think they are IMO. I understand why someone like you that goes to cons feels like they are a part of something, but that something is more specific than you realize.

Just to be clearer, you could use the phrase "human culture." But it is useless because it is too broad. 
    AlBQuirky
    cheyane said:
    What are the qualifications for this 'gamer' thing? How many games and for how long each day must I play? I think I might qualify but am shaky on the details.
    I was just curious how folks would respond to a very broad, generalized question. What comes to your mind when you read/hear that word? Does it describe you?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

I was going to "awesome" this post, but then realized "just console controllers."

PC MASTER RACE! :lol:
    Scot[Deleted User]

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

edited September 2019
    ET3D said:

The problem is that many gamers, if not most gamers, don't actually care about the things you list. It makes grouping them together useless - in the same way using moshing to help describe music culture is useless. You shouldn't use the phrase music culture because it is far too broad to be useful. Just like gamer is far too broad to be useful.

You are being specific because you are a person that goes to cons and wears gaming t-shirts so you feel that part of a culture. But that's not gamer culture, that's kid culture and con culture. Gamers are more broad than you think they are IMO. I understand why someone like you that goes to cons feels like they are a part of something, but that something is more specific than you realize.

Just to be clearer, you could use the phrase "human culture." But it is useless because it is too broad. 
    It kind of reminds me of when politicians try to grab a segmented vote, like women voters or black voters. Like those groups have a singular hive mind ;)

ET3D does have a point, but I agree with you that "gamer" is far too broad to fit those "tropes", though those tropes exist for a reason.

PS to all: Just because I mentioned politicians, DO NOT go getting all political here! This is about gamers, not politics :)

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 403
    edited September 2019
    Yes I am a gamer and an addicted one at that. If I dont play anything for a couple of days my mood shows it as I get mad quick. Its same with my other addiction coffee and cigarettes if I dont have them for a day or 2 I go mad as shit. 

Edit: This topic is dumb to be honest, if you're in this forum you are 100% a gamer whoever's says otherwise is delusional.
    AlBQuirky
    DeadSpock said:
    Yes I am a gamer and an addicted one at that. If I dont play anything for a couple of days my mood shows it as I get mad quick. Its same with my other addiction coffee and cigarettes if I dont have them for a day or 2 I go mad as shit. 

Edit: This topic is dumb to be honest, if you're in this forum you are 100% a gamer whoever's says otherwise is delusional.
    Oh, Spock... Remember your Vulcan training! Fight those human feelings/reactions!
    (I know what you mean about coffee and cigarettes!)

It is a silly thread. I just keep seeing the word "gamer" bandied about in so many forms, I wondered if anyone really identified with the term. My curiosity got the better of me ;)

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• DwaaawffulDwaaawfful Member UncommonPosts: 65
    AlBQuirky said:
    I was going to "awesome" this post, but then realized "just console controllers."

PC MASTER RACE! :lol:

PC Master Race indeed. And why so? Because being a GAMER means you frequently GET DISTRACTED from life's eternally miserable toil ... and if all your games are on a console this means you have to use up valuable life energy points SWITCHING IT ON.

If you're working on a PC ... your gateway into a world of unbridled gaming joy is ALREADY ON.

Best part is that it's so easy to connect serious gamepads to your PC using emulators.

Those solidly-built Sony PS2 controllers you see going in most 2nd-user game stores for under a fiver connect in a trice to any PC with a cable from Ebay for maybe £3.

And you can hook up XBox stuff wirelessly also.

But who would want all of that ease and comfort when PC Gaming delivers the brain-enhancing miracle known as KEYBOARD KEYSTROKES?

That's why I can't wait for the next Star Trek movie.

Kirk: Warp Factor 5, Mr Sulu.
    Sulu: Which way we going, Captain? W,A,S or D?
    AlBQuirky
    Stumpiness & Unbridled Misery Masquerading as VIRTUE

Need an AI-Free Elf Names Generator to bring your next elven character to life? Why ... course you do, you darn fool!
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Torval said:
    Some people call me a Space Cowboy
    and some people call me Maurice.
    As a space cowboy, you play your music on the Sun? (or just in the sun, like a regular joker...)
    :)
    AlBQuirky[Deleted User]