Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it just me or is this site becoming less about MMORPG's?

13»

Comments

• lotrlorelotrlore Managing EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 558
    @Amathe- one thing as well, we can use our "Not So MMO" and "The RPG Files" in our headlines as well as add them to the column, the way our system works is it would add that tag twice, which looks bad. So I keep it out of the article headline as it should label it on our "Exclusives" sidebar as well as when you click the article. 

It's just the nature of our CMS, which hopefully will change as we move into our new CMS down the road.
    AmatheAlBQuirky
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Sovrath said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    Sovrath said:
    Dixi01 said:
    You can't blame this and other sites for absence of new and fun to play MMORPG's :-(
    As I understand state of industry, game devs are too greedy and not planning to make interesting and exiting games anymore, they care only about income. I hope situation will change some day, but it seems, not so soon.
    Don't "you" also care about income?
    I'm sure Dixi01 does and so do I. But there is steady 15/month income with great gameplay and longevity or unlimited income via cash shops and lootboxes where gameplay gets butchered from the games into nice little "buy it here" pieces. Besides, the actual developers make the same amount (salary) if a game has 1000 players or 10,000,000. It is "the suits & investors" doing nothing that rake in the excesses, usually.

I can't blame them, as they are businesses after all. I just don't feel the "love and care" and "'Let's try this!' innovation" like we had a couple of decades ago. It's almost all formulaic based on the wrong numbers, money instead mechanics ;)
    erm ...

A developer might make the same income if the game sells 1000 or 10 million but they might not have a job the next day if the game only sells 1000.

And $15 per month is great until the population goes down as all these games eventually experience. They could charge more but that might become a barrier to entry for many. They could charge less and hope that this entices more players to play.

While there are "greedy" publishers, I don't really buy the greedy developer angle. I think they just want to keep a job longer than a few years so that they don't have to relocate across the country to just do it again in another few years.

Even Arenanet, a developer whose whole business model is predicated on "buy to play" had implemented a cash shop to keep their business going. For both games mind you.

I strongly suspect that running a game company takes a lot more money than players can imagine. Now, this is not an excuse for predatory practices that publishers have implemented but there needs to be a way for game companies to make money and keep making money. They just haven't figured out a great way to do that yet. At least for mmorpg's.
    I agree and realize "the reality." My point was that there is profit (enough to run the business) and then there is PROFIT (enough to buy investor's their next mansion). Personally, I don't want "free."

When Guild Wars 1 first released, I recall the "How will they keep afloat?" wonderment. I was worried, myself. But they showed us all how profitable cash shops could be. That's when we the players lost our "power", so to speak.

I pretty much agreed with Klash2Def about things changing. Heck we went from pay by the minute through the phone company, to subscription models, and now we have no cost entry with cash shops and/or lootboxes. Players have also changed. Most no longer have long stretches of multiple hours to play. Too many other entertainment demands on our time. Society has changed over this span of time, too.

And it really bugs when I say stuff like this, because I'm a capitalist pig at the core. I fully believe that businesses should make as much as consumers are willing to pay. But we have no checks and balances on this anymore. We are too populous and money is so prominent that bad practices get rewarded, not beaten into the ground.

Cash shops and lootboxes have given the oversight to those with wads of money to spend on digital goodies. The rest are left with nothing to play, MMORPG-wise. Truthfully, I don't ever believe that I will find an MMORPG in the future where I can live with characters in a relatively immersive world. Those days are long gone ;)
    Mendel

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    edited September 2019
    Sovrath said:
    Hashbrick said:
    I'd be more worried about the recent virus and spam outbreaks than the news coverage.  The code base for this pile of a site, is truly not maintainable.  I can make that assumption for the fact they tried to relaunch twice now with nothing to show for it.

It really is time to just rebrand and relaunch with something modern. Nothing here makes sense it's just an old name that they use as they are afraid to let it go in fear the new brand won't attract enough.

The links here are constantly getting encoded by third party hacks and phising scams.   
    This site has always had virus/spam outbreaks. 

Not sure why we are seeing more now as it's been quiet for a while. Or "seemingly quiet" as maybe they did appear and were removed quickly.

But over the years we've had a lot of that stuff.

As far as "rebranding" that would be the worse thing they could do. They already have the gamespace site so there is no reason to give up on a well know name. It is very possible that mmorpg's will become a complete indy venture and they will obviously be able to capitalize on that.

If for some reason there isn't enough traffic to this site they will most likely close it and usher people to gamespace. 

I highly disagree, rebranding is the best thing could possibly do, because it would bring in new blood.  Most non-mmo gamers are not going to go to a site called mmorpg.com for game news.  In reality they don't even know mmorpg.com does regular single player game reviews, news and reviews products.  None of that is implied in mmorpg.com  It's implied it's a site about nothing but MMOs hence the name mmorpg.com.  Again their failure to not understand this is exactly why this site sits low on the bottom of the totem pole.  Zero marketing skills or knowledge.  Any agency would tell them imminently, you need to change your name.  You have to own your brand, you have to love your brand and you have to live your brand.  You can't do that under the shadow of mmorpg.com

If gamespace is a thing, go the brand, convert all content over there and let's go.  Let the mmorpg.com brand die with dignity while it's still intact.  Right now all that is being done is putting lipstick on an old old pig.
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Hashbrick said:
    Sovrath said:
    Hashbrick said:
    I'd be more worried about the recent virus and spam outbreaks than the news coverage.  The code base for this pile of a site, is truly not maintainable.  I can make that assumption for the fact they tried to relaunch twice now with nothing to show for it.

It really is time to just rebrand and relaunch with something modern. Nothing here makes sense it's just an old name that they use as they are afraid to let it go in fear the new brand won't attract enough.

The links here are constantly getting encoded by third party hacks and phising scams.   

Not sure why we are seeing more now as it's been quiet for a while. Or "seemingly quiet" as maybe they did appear and were removed quickly.

As far as "rebranding" that would be the worse thing they could do. They already have the gamespace site so there is no reason to give up on a well know name. It is very possible that mmorpg's will become a complete indy venture and they will obviously be able to capitalize on that.

If for some reason there isn't enough traffic to this site they will most likely close it and usher people to gamespace. 

I highly disagree, rebranding is the best thing could possibly do, because it would bring in new blood.  Most non-mmo gamers are not going to go to a site called mmorpg.com for game news.  In reality they don't even know mmorpg.com does regular single player game reviews, news and reviews products.  None of that is implied in mmorpg.com  It's implied it's a site about nothing but MMOs hence the name mmorpg.com.  Again their failure to not understand this is exactly why this site sits low on the bottom of the totem pole.  Zero marketing skills or knowledge.  Any agency would tell them imminently, you need to change your name.  You have to own your brand, you have to love your brand and you have to live your brand.  You can't do that under the shadow of mmorpg.com

If gamespace is a thing, go the brand, convert all content over there and let's go.  Let the mmorpg.com brand die with dignity while it's still intact.  Right now all that is being done is putting lipstick on an old old pig.
    gamespace is a thing and it's their "video game" site for all things video games.

mmorpg.com is about mmorpg's. Now, if I'm a person who wants to find out what's going on in mmorpg's, even if it's just what the indys are doing or what the existing mmorpg's are doing I'm going to want to go to such a site.

No one is telling Massively to "rebrand." They are about mmorpg's with some rpg and other types of multiplayer games represented.

The issue is not rebranding but making sure the content here is interesting and compelling for those searching for "this type of experience."

Even if that experience is what is happening with Everquest or Ryzom or World of Warcraft or Black Desert.
    bcbully
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Sovrath said:
    Hashbrick said:
    Sovrath said:
    Hashbrick said:

gamespace is a thing and it's their "video game" site for all things video games.

mmorpg.com is about mmorpg's. Now, if I'm a person who wants to find out what's going on in mmorpg's, even if it's just what the indys are doing or what the existing mmorpg's are doing I'm going to want to go to such a site.

No one is telling Massively to "rebrand." They are about mmorpg's with some rpg and other types of multiplayer games represented.

The issue is not rebranding but making sure the content here is interesting and compelling for those searching for "this type of experience."

Even if that experience is what is happening with Everquest or Ryzom or World of Warcraft or Black Desert.
    Agreed, I think the point argued previously was different than now.  I'm saying rebrand or change focus on the content that is being offered on the site.  The site could still remain mmorpg.com with mmorpg content if desired.  Put everything else on gamespace and focus gamespace as the main brand let mmorpg be a sister site.  I guess that's my point, maybe not a rebrand cause they already have a brand but the content is on the wrong site.
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
    Hashbrick said:
    Sovrath said:
    Hashbrick said:
    Sovrath said:
    Hashbrick said:

Agreed, I think the point argued previously was different than now.  I'm saying rebrand or change focus on the content that is being offered on the site.  The site could still remain mmorpg.com with mmorpg content if desired.  Put everything else on gamespace and focus gamespace as the main brand let mmorpg be a sister site.  I guess that's my point, maybe not a rebrand cause they already have a brand but the content is on the wrong site.
    Yeah but even Massively has non mmorpg game information and articles.

As I mentioned, it has more news. I think Massively is probably a better news site but this site is a better social site for discussing that news.
    AmathePhaserlightKyleran

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I still stand by my original equation. 

More clicks = more money . . . hence, casting a wider net, gets you more clicks and hence more money to . . . you know . . . pay staff and bills. Hell, this website is free, that's awesome, they have to make money somehow. 

But yes, there are better websites for news, but if i'm interested in something, I know how to delve to look into it more. 
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
    Sovrath said:
    Hashbrick said:
    Sovrath said:
    Hashbrick said:
    Sovrath said:
    Hashbrick said:

Yeah but even Massively has non mmorpg game information and articles.

As I mentioned, it has more news. I think Massively is probably a better news site but this site is a better social site for discussing that news.
    Right but massively is a better brand to include all sorts of stuff, it doesn't have a true identity, is it implied only massive games, not really.

I'd agree the forums here is really why this site is still running.
    Kyleran
  • WarEnsembleWarEnsemble Member UncommonPosts: 252
    It's just like MTV isn't about music.
    AlBQuirky
  • lotrlorelotrlore Managing EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 558
    It's just like MTV isn't about music.
    The minute we start doing "Teen Mom's of Tamriel" you'll know we've phoned it in. :smiley:
    [Deleted User][Deleted User][Deleted User]klash2defKyleranAlBQuirkyXarko
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    What I want to know is, what is up with all the bot spam lately and how can it be fought? It's getting pretty bad.
    Mendel
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Just one point of clarification: GameSpace and MMORPG.com are completely separate entities now. :)
    [Deleted User]KyleranAlBQuirky

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

SBFord said:
    Just one point of clarification: GameSpace and MMORPG.com are completely separate entities now. :)
    Same owners or different owners?
    AlBQuirky

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551
    as long as this site continues to talk about video games, I'm ALL in!
    SovrathAlBQuirkySBFord

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited September 2019
    Tiller said:
    What I want to know is, what is up with all the bot spam lately and how can it be fought? It's getting pretty bad.
    Stop sitting on your hands, take 30 seconds and click on the posters Flag link, type in 'Spam advertising' or 'Bot spam' and press Enter.  Do something about it yourself.
    AlBQuirky
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
    Grunty said:
    Tiller said:
    Stop sitting on your hands, take 30 seconds and click on the posters Flag link, type in 'Spam advertising' or 'Bot spam' and press Enter.  Do something about it yourself.
    I'm finding this tougher to do. I've seen many posts with actual words, even on topic, before they throw some strange link in. I'm never positive it is spam, as I'm not clicking on random links by unknown posters with sub 10 post counts...

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Sovrath said:
    SBFord said:
    Different owners. :)
    AlBQuirky

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited September 2019
    AlBQuirky said:
    Grunty said:
    Tiller said:
    I'm finding this tougher to do. I've seen many posts with actual words, even on topic, before they throw some strange link in. I'm never positive it is spam, as I'm not clicking on random links by unknown posters with sub 10 post counts...
    Those are bots.  They usually spam multiple threads with the same link.  Report them.  You only need to report them once.  More proof?  Take a quick look at their profile and see that all of their comments have the same or similar link regardless of the topic.  
    AlBQuirky[Deleted User]
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Sovrath said:
    They've been talking about single player rpg's and "other types" of lobby games for quite some time.

This isn't new.

Reason? Not a lot of mmorpg's out there so they are covering other types of games that have some relation and that players might find interesting.

Otherwise, which of the multiple mmorpg's that are coming down the pike would you like to talk about?
    Started years ago when they were marketing that Christian high fantasy RPG game on the board here. Forgot the name of that game now but some may remember. Was a lot of controversy around it since there was a sticky at the top and banner for the game that wasn't even a MMO, just a high fantasy game like most MMOs are. That's all it had in common. Believe it was a single player console game. 

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited September 2019
    SBFord said:
    Sovrath said:
    SBFord said:
    Did you and Bill buy it or is that a secret? You can tell me... mum's the word. :smile:
    AlBQuirky
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

edited September 2019
    Iselin said:
    SBFord said:
    Sovrath said:
    SBFord said:
    Did you and Bill buy it or is that a secret? You can tell me... mum's the word. :smile:
      Bought with their fat checks from MMORPG.com they've been hoarding for all these years?
    Iselin

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• MachkeznhoMachkeznho Member UncommonPosts: 424
    There is also a lot less mmorpg's coming out and the ones that do tend to fail to hit the mark or fail spectacularly.  Sites gotta do something to stay relevant.
  • ET3DET3D Member UncommonPosts: 325
    At some point the MMORPG staff announced that they're officially opening up to more content. IIRC they were extending to single player RPGs and non-RPG multiplayer games, as well as hardware reviews. I'm too lazy to dig up the announcement, which I'm sure contains the reasons for this move.
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    MMOs are dead so they have to expand.