Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How would you play a MMO like Classic WoW if it had no Character levels(1-60)?

Comments

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    When I hit level 60 in WoW it pretty much ended the game for me....I tried a couple more alts but started to get bored of it....That's why classic WoW has no appeal to me at all and no levels would have even less appeal than that.
    Kyleran
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.  But a rose without its petals would not.

Leveling is as integral to the Classic WoW experience as petals are to a rose.  Because you dislike levels, or petals, does not change that fact.

Now imagine it another way. No character levels in Classic WoW. It would be one large game world with free exploration and all content as meaningful endgame progression. Instead of 3 Endgame Dungeons at max level 60,

you now have ALL DUNGEONS IN THE GAME is endgame dungeons. All of them. All Quest are endgame quest. No quest is low level only anymore. No zone is low level only/high level only. 
    ALL ZONES ARE SAME LEVEL SINCE THERE ARE NO LEVELS.

Something like that would play more like an Elder Scrolls Oblivion/Skyrim/Morrowind sort experience of going your own path doing the quest that interest you and the dungeons that interest you on your own Journey. There is no set path. All the same exact content from level grind would still be in the game but tailored to endgame content since there no need for level grind in a leveless MMO.
    You are quite stubborn.   Classic WoW without levels would be nothing like Classic WoW.  You dislike levels, GREAT.  Go find a game that doesn't have them.   There are a few.

You know what would be great!  Let's take a peanut butter and jelly sandwich... but how about we tweak it a bit! Why don't we modernize that and instead of peanut butter and jelly... let's use Fluff and Nutella.  Those are sooo much better and have tons of flavors without the need for nasty jelly!  Wouldn't that be a better PB&J ?

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Xodic said:
    A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.  But a rose without its petals would not.

Did you play the lottery numbers that were on the back of that?
    No.  But I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• BroomyBroomy Member UncommonPosts: 487
    Just a hypothetical scenario.

But let's say Blizzard released a new Classic WoW simulator game, but in this version, there is no Character levels, as in no 1-60 level grind.
    Everything in the game is endgame content and everything scaled around that. So no more low level zones being out leveled since your character is a max level type of stuff. Everything is the same tier as your character with some content being harder than others just like in the normal version. 

The only difference is
    You still have to unlock your skills by completing objectives in the game and you still have to discover the world as normal.

All gear is meaningful and not level gated since there is no levels. 

How would such a game be played differently from the current iteration of the game?

Just curious what you all think. 
    Your basically describing a SKILL Based MMO, and I would be fine with it.  The "progression" would lie in acquiring and advancing skills which would most likely require you to quest, do dungeons and use the skills until they improve.  Gear could also be based on the level of the skills you attain.  Basically, questing, exploration, dungeons etc would get you "points" that you can then use to build up your skills so instead of saying "I need to get ot lvl 50 in order to wield this" it would be "I need to get to this skill expertise (Novice, Adept, etc) in order to wield that".  I don't see a problem with it.  People would probably mess up their skill leveling totally though.   :D :D :D

Current Games: WOW, EVE Online

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    So no more low level zones being out leveled since your character is a max level type of stuff. Everything is the same tier as your character with some content being harder than others just like in the normal version. 

The only difference is
    You still have to unlock your skills by completing objectives in the game and you still have to discover the world as normal.

The first part has been done in ESO, retail WOW (to some extent), GW2 and others. Some like it and some hate it.

As to the "completing objectives" part, how is that not the same as leveling? Sounds to me like you're just replacing 1-60 with the same skill-up grind minus the numbers.

As far as gear goes, you're underestimating how much players want to get better gear drops/rewards through playing. It's a powerful carrot that motivates players to play the game. Some very successful games games are all about that... like all ARPGs and all the looter shooters. 

And what you're suggesting already exists in WOW retail's heirlooms system. Have you ever leveled a character in WOW fully decked out with heirlooms? If you have then you'd know that a lot of the fun is taken out of the game by never getting any gear upgrades as you level.
    [Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited September 2019
    lahnmir said:
    You would still level through gear.
    You would still level through better skills.
    You would still level through proffessions.
    You just wouldn’t level theough actual levels anymore.

Monster Hunter does this and it works perfectly fine, you just need to balance gear for it, put some more importance on resistances for instance.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    I play EVE where all you say is true,  but they are just another form of gating mechanism like levels which goes against what the OP is seeking.

While its said end game starts at the beginning in EVE that is not entirely true.

Until players acquire the skills, gear, and professions which take a considerable amount of time (or money) they are blocked from certain "end game" content such as Incursions, Wormholes, "Level 5" missions, Capital Ship combat etc.

So call it levels, skills or whatever, the OP wants to be able to access all areas in WOW without having to do any form of progression first.

I think only ESO is even close and I suspect there is content which can't really be accessed or completed without achieving a certain "level" of progression first.

Those living under the bridge can't fathom playing a game just for the "fun" of it.

>:) 

[Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited September 2019

Leveling is as integral to the Classic WoW experience as petals are to a rose.  Because you dislike levels, or petals, does not change that fact.

Now imagine it another way. No character levels in Classic WoW. It would be one large game world with free exploration and all content as meaningful endgame progression. Instead of 3 Endgame Dungeons at max level 60,

you now have ALL DUNGEONS IN THE GAME is endgame dungeons. All of them. All Quest are endgame quest. No quest is low level only anymore. No zone is low level only/high level only. 
    ALL ZONES ARE SAME LEVEL SINCE THERE ARE NO LEVELS.

Something like that would play more like an Elder Scrolls Oblivion/Skyrim/Morrowind sort experience of going your own path doing the quest that interest you and the dungeons that interest you on your own Journey. There is no set path. All the same exact content from level grind would still be in the game but tailored to endgame content since there no need for level grind in a leveless MMO.
    As one of the favorite cartoon villains of those living under the bridge Syndrome might say, 'if all content is meaningful, none of it actually is'

>:) 

[Deleted User]Iselin

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:

I think only ESO is even close and I suspect there is content which can't really be accessed or completed without achieving a certain "level" of progression first.

Close but no cigar. You still have levels in your character sheet - you're just bolstered to the level 50 / CP160 standard the whole game is at when you're below that.

Dungeons still unlock based on your level the same way they do in WOW. Some content does not unlock until you're CP160 so that gating lasts for a good long while. Gear still has levels and needs replacing until you get your permanent stuff after CP160.

Players still accept or don't accept each other in group content based on how many CPs you have and you are nearly useless in high end content if you're not at or near max CP.

The overland zones may all be at the same CP160 level but there is progression and grind just like in any other MMORPG.
    [Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• Jamar870Jamar870 Member UncommonPosts: 570
    edited September 2019
    I'm begining to think OP wants a WoW where ALL the mobs are the same level, same hp and hit for the same damage irrespected of wether there in Dead Mines or Black Rock Spire.
    Kyleran
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Jamar870 said:
    I'm begining to think OP wants a WoW where ALL the mobs are the same level, same hp and hit for the same damage irrespected of wether there in Dead Mines or Black Rock Spire.
    I did say the Whole game was endgame, the whole game. I didn't say make everybody level 60 and remove all non level 60 stuff in the game.

I said a whole game world that has no level grind. It's built all around this concept. Same game world as classic WoW. Same Quest, same zones, same dungeons, etc, 
    But it's all tuned around one base character level. There are just different difficulty for the content in the world. Some dungeons and Raids requiring better gear and certain stats to complete just like Classic WoW currently works for endgame. 

Instead of a few dungeons at endgame, all dungeons in the game are endgame dungeons that can reward better rewards and gear to use for harder dungeons and quest. 

Create your own path. Everything is endgame. It's like an Elder Scrolls game but in MMO form. 

Gain skills by doing task in the world. This could be something tied to the certain quest rewards and dungeon rewards. 

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Jamar870 said:
    I did say the Whole game was endgame, the whole game. I didn't say make everybody level 60 and remove all non level 60 stuff in the game.

I said a whole game world that has no level grind. It's built all around this concept. Same game world as classic WoW. Same Quest, same zones, same dungeons, etc, 
    But it's all tuned around one base character level. There are just different difficulty for the content in the world. Some dungeons and Raids requiring better gear and certain stats to complete just like Classic WoW currently works for endgame. 

Instead of a few dungeons at endgame, all dungeons in the game are endgame dungeons that can reward better rewards and gear to use for harder dungeons and quest. 

Create your own path. Everything is endgame. It's like an Elder Scrolls game but in MMO form. 

Gain skills by doing task in the world. This could be something tied to the certain quest rewards and dungeon rewards. 
    Looks like most folks don't support the concept.  But lucky for you, there are different games for different people.  Hopefully, you find what you seek.  For me... I'm enjoying leveling my Shadow Priest, Druid and Shammy in WoW Classic.

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    bcbully said:
    It wouldn’t be played by me... There would not be enough to do outside of questing. 

How so? Raids are still there. Every quest is still there. Every dungeon is still there. Every Battleground is still there. Everything you did before is still there and actually more to do now that everything would be endgame progression since there is no Character level zone gates. 
    Honesty, you just as well be speaking Chinese. You will not get most to even understand the concept let alone get most to agree.

How gear works would have to be changed.  You may need "difficulty" rating for NPCs as well.  The biggest changes really is no area is gated. The game still plays the same for the most part outside of one shotting NPC some people need to feel powerful.
    Iselin
    edited September 2019
    bcbully said:
    It wouldn’t be played by me... There would not be enough to do outside of questing. 

How so? Raids are still there. Every quest is still there. Every dungeon is still there. Every Battleground is still there. Everything you did before is still there and actually more to do now that everything would be endgame progression since there is no Character level zone gates. 
    Honesty, you just as well be speaking Chinese. You will not get most to even understand the concept let alone get most to agree.

How gear works would have to be changed.  You may need "difficulty" rating for NPCs as well.  The biggest changes really is no area is gated. The game still plays the same for the most part outside of one shotting NPC some people need to feel powerful.
    IDK man. When you think everyone but you is wrong the sane thing to do is take another look at what you're saying.

Here's the key for this thread as well as 99.9% of all other "let's get rid of levels" threads:

"You still have to unlock your skills by completing objectives in the game"

What we get is that this is merely hiding level numbers and changing nothing.

If you're going to propose a system that gets rid of the level numbers you need to also get rid of the things that levels do. If you don't, it's just a cosmetic change.

[Deleted User]Kyleran

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    bcbully said:

IDK man. When you think everyone but you is wrong the sane thing to do is take another look at what you're saying.

Here's the key for this thread as well as 99.9% of all other "let's get rid of levels" threads:

"You still have to unlock your skills by completing objectives in the game"

What we get is that this is merely hiding level numbers and changing nothing.

If you're going to propose a system that gets rid of the level numbers you need to also get rid of the things that levels do. If you don't, it's just a cosmetic change.

If you say a motorcycle had 2 wheels and the complaints about it have to do with it having 4 wheels like a car... you assume they don't understand.

Yes, RPGs are number games.  But claiming that because their is progression it is all the same doesn't mean it is because you say it is.  Gating content behind skill vs. numbers is a big change.  
     Gating content behind skill...  
    You're going to have to explain that one once you point out where in this thread anyone is talking about gating content behind skill.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    You're going to have to explain that one once you point out where in this thread anyone is talking about gating content behind skill.
    Again. If you understand the concept then it's the next logical step.  If you don't have artificial power done by levels you will need another way to differentiate NPCs power.  It doesn't have to happen but it is the logic step.
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    edited September 2019
    Iselin said:
    Again. If you understand the concept then it's the next logical step.  If you don't have artificial power done by levels you will need another way to differentiate NPCs power.  It doesn't have to happen but it is the logic step.
    There's other options. 
    Gating content behind skills is just another way of creating the levels system that locks you out of all of the world content except for you're skill range (as opposed to level range). 

What you'd want, in order to keep the world open, is MOBs that are tougher by a combination of HPs, their own skills, and stats (as they affect things like damage and die rolls). Also magical powers/attacks. 
    This makes some MOBs and their dungeons/locations tougher, but still allows players of all progression to go try them out. 
    Kyleran

Once upon a time....

Iselin said:
    There's other options. 
    Gating content behind skills is just another way of creating the levels system that locks you out of all of the world content except for you're skill range (as opposed to level range). 

What you'd want, in order to keep the world open, is MOBs that are tougher by a combination of HPs, their own skills, and stats (as they affect things like damage and die rolls). Also magical powers/attacks. 
    This makes some MOBs and their dungeons/locations tougher, but still allows players of all progression to go try them out. 
    Some people are already locked out by skill, ability to tolerate tedium/boredom, social skills. But you are right NPC tactics and tendencies are part of difficulty.  NPCs that use teamwork or just NPCs with good powers, stats and script.
  • HazenXIIIHazenXIII Member UncommonPosts: 161
    Kyleran said:
    So, an utterly pointless MMO? No thanks.

Those who live under the bridge thrive on progression, and know gear isn't enough.
    SWG originally didn't have levels, and is still to this day one of the most progression-driven MMOs I've ever played with over 32 different professions (not counting Jedi) to master or mix and match. "Levels" are just a visual aid to help convey progression, not the mechanism to create progression.
    Hatefull
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Just a hypothetical scenario.

But let's say Blizzard released a new Classic WoW simulator game, but in this version, there is no Character levels, as in no 1-60 level grind.
    Everything in the game is endgame content and everything scaled around that. So no more low level zones being out leveled since your character is a max level type of stuff. Everything is the same tier as your character with some content being harder than others just like in the normal version. 

The only difference is

How would such a game be played differently from the current iteration of the game?

Just curious what you all think. 
    i'd guess i'd play it like ESO after reaching the level cap ;)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    edited September 2019
    Iselin said:
    There's other options. 

Some people are already locked out by skill, ability to tolerate tedium/boredom, social skills. But you are right NPC tactics and tendencies are part of difficulty.  NPCs that use teamwork or just NPCs with good powers, stats and script.
    Some day, some game will develop an AI simulation (weighted randomized choices based on battle situations), and that will be yet another level to work with. 

Tedium and boredom, to me, can't be better applied than the typical levelling system in MMO's. Predictable, expected, same for all rinse and repeat. You know, those things that make for an exciting time. lol

Once upon a time....

• AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    edited September 2019
    I probably felt I'm more forced to do things.  In a level system I can play how ever I want.  In an objective system I'm forced to do things.  

Taking away leveling but telling people you need to complete quest which aren't skipable...
    Iselin said:
    NPC power differentiation has always been a thing in RPGs with levels. It adds variety and challenge but that's about it. It has nothing to do with whether you or the NPC has a level number.

Levels are nothing more than an indicator of how far you've progressed in a given RPG system. It's a useful tool for you and for others to know your relative power and what you can and can't handle.

It doesn't have to be called levels. It can be called "champion points" or "paragon points." It can be done with colors or it can be done any other way you want but the whole point of RPGs is advancement and I sure as hell want some sort of system to let me know how far I've progressed and at least a rough estimate of whether I have a chance or no hope in hell of succeeding at something I'm thinking of doing.

I also want to know if a stranger I just met can help me succeed or will just be a passenger.

Let me know how I can know those things without a level system - whether explicitly called levels, renamed or disguised -  and I'm all ears.
    Kyleran

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    I've always dreamed about a game that removed the typical WoW-style questing, but offered progression strictly through dungeons/raids/events/whatever. Perhaps through gear or some other mechanic.

It really would be another form of leveling, but a much less tedious one IMO.
    AAAMEOW said:
    I probably felt I'm more forced to do things.  In a level system I can play how ever I want.  In an objective system I'm forced to do things.  

Taking away leveling but telling people you need to complete quest which aren't skipable...
    In most levelless systems quest would be skippable because you aren't forced to level.  

MMOExposed