Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Red Eats Crow - Epic Exclusivity Re-examined - MMORPG.com

Comments

• elveoneelveone Member RarePosts: 426

elveone said:

Siysrril said:

Who would be happy to visit that local store to get some beef if the quality of the service in the new store is subpar compared to the one they are used to?

It honestly depends on what you find to be subpar. I find EGS to be the superior store just because i'm not bombarded with tons of crap when i try to find anything new on it.

say that again when epic have more then 2 pages on the list of games to sell
    Even then the majority of the games I've bough this year were on Epic and not Steam an I don't regret a single purchase I made.
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    The real competition, and it's totally not where I live anyway, is all of this streaming shit competing with my data caps.

There was a sweet spot during cable's time where the prices were reasonable and the barrier to entry was way lower to be able to enjoy content than what we have today.

A la cart, doesn't end up being cheaper. I could have subs for YouTube, Hulu, Netflix, Prime, Disney, etc... and that shit ads up if you do ad free and HD, which I do, on top of extra users. Always online can be an asspain for lots of peeps & data caps are an expensive issue.

This trickles over to gaming and all the launchers and data caps and exclusivity deals and always online, etc.. as well.

This competition is SUPPOSED to be better for the consumer, but we end up paying extra coming and going, and in the end, we're just left with a bad taste in our mouth and sticking with the lesser of all evils.

It's like sure these companies compete for my business, but they sure as shit all charge me admission tickets whether I want to watch or not!

Gut Out!
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]

What, me worry?

• QQMorePleaseQQMorePlease Member UncommonPosts: 51
    I laugh every time I see someone writing more than a paragraph on this subject.  Its a launcher.  Epic is making it cheaper for devs to build games.  Thanks Epic.  Shame on you for doing this to us.
    elveoneOzmodanRed_Thomasalkarionlog
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Gutlard said:
    The real competition, and it's totally not where I live anyway, is all of this streaming shit competing with my data caps.

There was a sweet spot during cable's time where the prices were reasonable and the barrier to entry was way lower to be able to enjoy content than what we have today.

A la cart, doesn't end up being cheaper. I could have subs for YouTube, Hulu, Netflix, Prime, Disney, etc... and that shit ads up if you do ad free and HD, which I do, on top of extra users. Always online can be an asspain for lots of peeps & data caps are an expensive issue.

This trickles over to gaming and all the launchers and data caps and exclusivity deals and always online, etc.. as well.

This competition is SUPPOSED to be better for the consumer, but we end up paying extra coming and going, and in the end, we're just left with a bad taste in our mouth and sticking with the lesser of all evils.

It's like sure these companies compete for my business, but they sure as shit all charge me admission tickets whether I want to watch or not!

Gut Out!
    And we have to deal with exclusives on that front as well and there are no money saving packages for any of it. I have maybe one series per sub I actually watch. The kicker is they never release this content as anything but streaming so buying a whole BluRay season is out.
    [Deleted User]
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• newbismxnewbismx Member UncommonPosts: 276
    edited September 2019
    idk but I'm 'bout ready to fire up some free motherfucking Batman games.

Epic is winning my support more and more every couple weeks.

I finally installed the launcher and cannot believe how many free games i've gotten from them because I havnt really been paying attention to even what I was getting.
    elveonealkarionlog
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Gutlard said:

Gut Out!
    What country do you live in with data caps? That sounds horrible.
    Red_Thomas
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    lahnmir said:
    lahnmir said:
    mklinic said:
    lahnmir said:
    In other, more fun, news the Epic Store is offering the entire Batman Arkham Trilogy AND Batman Lego Trilogy for absolutely free this week. Don´t be a hater, be a gamer!

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

A real gamer would already have these on Steam! Kidding. Thanks for the head's up. :)
    bcbully said:
    I would if the beef is better
    In this case, the "beef" is a digitally distributed product that would be identical on whichever store front it is distributed on. I'm not sure there is an appreciable difference of quality to speak of there and it would come down to which "local store" provided the better service (beauty being in the eye of the beholder and all that).
    what i'm seeing is epic is the kind who target the hippies and "open minded" people who want to fight the big evil cooporation when defending a bigger state to take care of then, aka don't even know what they are doing

i'm for what is the benefit for me, devs getting a bigger cut don't give me any benefit, waiting for a steam sale who give me 50%+ discount benefit me, with I don't see epic doing anytime soon at least, plus not willing to download another launcher. and the fact epic don't have anything good to sell helps
    I agree wholeheartedly, go for that which has more benefits. Epic gives me one or more games for absolutely free every week, SIX even this week, Steam never does so Epic definitely benefits me more on a weekly basis. I also agree that games like Borderlands 3, Operencia, the new Metro, Ashen etc. aren't good games, they are great. See? We can still agree ;)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    yes I could even do so, since I did that on origin too, but I didn't play anyone of then, and I did get free games from steam too and also don't play then lol, so giving "free" games don't make me play it, and I only played one the the line, and when I finished the game I figure out why it was free lol
    Origins and Steams free games pale in comparison to the quantity and quality of free games handed out by Epic, and I am pretty sure you are fully aware of that. you don't have to like titles like Batman: Arkham Trilogy, Hyperlight Drifter, Axiom Verge, Mutant Year Zero, Alan Wake etc. etc. but that says absolutely nothing about their quality and the Epic store. I also don't get the "" marks when you say free. These games are truly free, contrary to the 'play it for free this weekend only' deals that Steam runs a lot, those games are "free," the Epic ones are just free.

you don't have to like the Epic store, I don't care, just don't come up with BS reasons.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Ok Lahnmir, I beg to disagree.  After fooling with their free games it was not a problem for me to just delete the Epic store, nothing exciting whatsoever.  Not worth the bother in my eye.  I have yet to find an exclusive Epic game that I needed to play.  Not a Steam fan, but at least they have a huge selection.  Not particularly couth of you to call other peoples reasons as BS.  Enjoy your day.
    elveoneAeanderalkarionlog
    Ozmodan said:
    lahnmir said:
    lahnmir said:
    mklinic said:
    lahnmir said:
    In other, more fun, news the Epic Store is offering the entire Batman Arkham Trilogy AND Batman Lego Trilogy for absolutely free this week. Don´t be a hater, be a gamer!

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

A real gamer would already have these on Steam! Kidding. Thanks for the head's up. :)
    bcbully said:
    In this case, the "beef" is a digitally distributed product that would be identical on whichever store front it is distributed on. I'm not sure there is an appreciable difference of quality to speak of there and it would come down to which "local store" provided the better service (beauty being in the eye of the beholder and all that).
    what i'm seeing is epic is the kind who target the hippies and "open minded" people who want to fight the big evil cooporation when defending a bigger state to take care of then, aka don't even know what they are doing

i'm for what is the benefit for me, devs getting a bigger cut don't give me any benefit, waiting for a steam sale who give me 50%+ discount benefit me, with I don't see epic doing anytime soon at least, plus not willing to download another launcher. and the fact epic don't have anything good to sell helps
    I agree wholeheartedly, go for that which has more benefits. Epic gives me one or more games for absolutely free every week, SIX even this week, Steam never does so Epic definitely benefits me more on a weekly basis. I also agree that games like Borderlands 3, Operencia, the new Metro, Ashen etc. aren't good games, they are great. See? We can still agree ;)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    yes I could even do so, since I did that on origin too, but I didn't play anyone of then, and I did get free games from steam too and also don't play then lol, so giving "free" games don't make me play it, and I only played one the the line, and when I finished the game I figure out why it was free lol
    Origins and Steams free games pale in comparison to the quantity and quality of free games handed out by Epic, and I am pretty sure you are fully aware of that. you don't have to like titles like Batman: Arkham Trilogy, Hyperlight Drifter, Axiom Verge, Mutant Year Zero, Alan Wake etc. etc. but that says absolutely nothing about their quality and the Epic store. I also don't get the "" marks when you say free. These games are truly free, contrary to the 'play it for free this weekend only' deals that Steam runs a lot, those games are "free," the Epic ones are just free.

you don't have to like the Epic store, I don't care, just don't come up with BS reasons.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Ok Lahnmir, I beg to disagree.  After fooling with their free games it was not a problem for me to just delete the Epic store, nothing exciting whatsoever.  Not worth the bother in my eye.  I have yet to find an exclusive Epic game that I needed to play.  Not a Steam fan, but at least they have a huge selection.  Not particularly couth of you to call other peoples reasons as BS.  Enjoy your day.
    I believe he was speaking objectively, not on your personal preference. Objectively he's correct, other stores free games are nowhere near as good as Epics. They are also 100% free games, so describing them as "free" is a bit daft.
    elveoneAeanderalkarionlog
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Utinni said:
    Ozmodan said:
    lahnmir said:
    lahnmir said:
    mklinic said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

bcbully said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

I believe he was speaking objectively, not on your personal preference. Objectively he's correct, other stores free games are nowhere near as good as Epics. They are also 100% free games, so describing them as "free" is a bit daft.
    Right. It's fair to criticize the store for the things it currently actually lacks or does poorly, but being such a Steam fanboy that you can't even acknowledge the good things it does (like the absolutely free games it offers on a reliable schedule) is beyond disingenuous. 
    gervaise1elveoneRed_Thomasalkarionlog
    Aeander said:
    Utinni said:
    Ozmodan said:
    lahnmir said:
    lahnmir said:
    mklinic said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

bcbully said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Right. It's fair to criticize the store for the things it currently actually lacks or does poorly, but being such a Steam fanboy that you can't even acknowledge the good things it does (like the absolutely free games it offers on a reliable schedule) is beyond disingenuous. 
    It's very weird when consumers defend companies like Steam. It's like someone who makes minimum wage fighting for tax breaks on the wealthiest 0.1%.
    Aeandergervaise1elveonealkarionlog
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    *Thread is about Epic Store Exclusivity*

"ERHMAGAD YOU WON'T ACKNOWLEDGE THE GOOD EPIC AM ARE DOOING!!"
    "HURR DURR YOU DEFEND STEAM TEY ARE BAD TOO HURR DURR!"

Aeandermklinic
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited September 2019
    I don't think EGS has bigger name games than Origin and Uplay and they coexist with Steam, so no... i don't believe EGS has broken any Steam monopoly. It's just another launcher. It wasn't that long ago i believed Steam had a monopoly, until I stopped buying games on it and didn't miss a thing.
    alkarionlog

• MegaLocksmithMegaLocksmith Member UncommonPosts: 13
    the supermarket analogy makes no sense to me. every time i've seen a new supermarket, it competes by being a better supermarket than the other one.
    elveone
    edited September 2019
    *Thread is about Epic Store Exclusivity*

"ERHMAGAD YOU WON'T ACKNOWLEDGE THE GOOD EPIC AM ARE DOOING!!"
    "HURR DURR YOU DEFEND STEAM TEY ARE BAD TOO HURR DURR!"

This is exactly the type of content I expect from you, and it's why I don't take your arguments seriously. 

You don't just make the strawman. You are the strawman.

Hurrr.... durr.
    Tiller[Deleted User]alkarionlog
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    The passion these threads always generate make me feel like I'm missing something really important. I mean... I get how it's a gamble for companies agreeing to the exclusive release deals: does Epic give them enough guarantees to offset the obviously more limited distribution? That's an interesting question for developers and an interesting fleeting thought for consumers about what this means, if anything, for the future of gaming.

But that's about it for me. My feelings just fail to engage.

And then there's all the extraneous stuff that fills these threads: Is the Epic launcher a piece of shit? Is their security tight enough? Is this part of the strategy of the Chinese bid for world dominance? Interesting tidbits to be sure but also totally irrelevant to the exclusivity discussion.

I just don't get it.
    bcbully
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

edited September 2019
    Iselin said:
    The passion these threads always generate make me feel like I'm missing something really important. I mean... I get how it's a gamble for companies agreeing to the exclusive release deals: does Epic give them enough guarantees to offset the obviously more limited distribution? That's an interesting question for developers and an interesting fleeting thought for consumers about what this means, if anything, for the future of gaming.

And then there's all the extraneous stuff that fills these threads: Is the Epic launcher a piece of shit? Is their security tight enough? Is this part of the strategy of the Chinese bid for world dominance? Interesting tidbits to be sure but also totally irrelevant to the exclusivity discussion.

I just don't get it.
    It's a shit storm over low stakes nonsense because gamers have little empathy for the financial stability of the artists who make their games and view even the slightest inconvenience or change as the end of the world.

Lootboxes make sense to rage over. They actually negatively impact game design and create inferior, but more expensive products. Being exclusive to a free launcher does not.
    Post edited by Aeander on
    elveonealkarionlog
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Ozmodan said:
    lahnmir said:
    lahnmir said:
    mklinic said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

bcbully said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

I was indeed speaking objectively, it is perfectly fine to not like their free selection. Steam has a bigger library but also more crap, asset flips etc. to wade through to get to the good stuff. As for my tone, disingenuous would have been a better word, I am certainly not more rude then my conversation partner though.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    elveonealkarionlog
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Aeander said:
    Iselin said:

I just don't get it.
    It's a shit storm over low stakes nonsense because gamers have little empathy for the financial stability of the artists who make their games and view even the slightest inconvenience or change as the end of the world.

Lootboxes make sense to rage over. They actually negatively impact game design and create inferior, but more expensive products. Being exclusive to a free launcher does not.
    I believe having a sub-par launcher is a reason. Free or not, you buy it using their launcher or wait a year. If they even release it on other platforms that is.
    elveone

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    I like how these ad trolls have found new methods to legitimize their posts by adding praise to their text making one almost believe they aren't bots.
    elveoneTacticalZombehRed_Thomas[Deleted User]alkarionlogkitarad
    Chamber of Chains
  • xybedoutxybedout Member UncommonPosts: 58
    Bah, I do not care for game libraries, achievements, and all that fluff.. I buy game, I play game, I get bored with/finish game, I delete game, I move on to next game. Steam, GoG, EGS, Origin, Beth, Blizz, whomever has it or has it the cheapest.
    elveone
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited September 2019

Hashbrick said:

Everyone in the comment section hating on Epic per usual.

Last game title I bought I purposely purchased from Epic. I'm not going to ignore them as they give me free games every other week. (even if some of them aren't to my taste). They're intentionally trying to get into this market and if they're willing to give me game titles for free, I'm going to support them with my $$$ when I decide it's time to purchase a game.

From the sounds of it the game devs are getting a much better deal from Epic too. I think it's awesome they're giving devs and consumers a sweet deal & it's funny to listen to the same regurgitated non-sense from the haters.

So they give you free games and that's enough to gain their support? Sound. Same regurgitated non-sense from the fan bois.

"Getting things for free", has brought us many staples of good gaming such as F2P and loot boxes. Or so many gamers seem to think. "Getting things for free" is actually a hallmark of substandard products and bad business practise. Either what you are buying is worth it or it is not, have you even played any of the free games?
    elveoneAeander
  • elveoneelveone Member RarePosts: 426
    Scot said:

Hashbrick said:

Everyone in the comment section hating on Epic per usual.

Last game title I bought I purposely purchased from Epic. I'm not going to ignore them as they give me free games every other week. (even if some of them aren't to my taste). They're intentionally trying to get into this market and if they're willing to give me game titles for free, I'm going to support them with my $$$ when I decide it's time to purchase a game.

From the sounds of it the game devs are getting a much better deal from Epic too. I think it's awesome they're giving devs and consumers a sweet deal & it's funny to listen to the same regurgitated non-sense from the haters.

So they give you free games and that's enough to gain their support? Sound. Same regurgitated non-sense from the fan bois.

"Getting things for free", has brought us many staples of good gaming such as F2P and loot boxes. Or so many gamers seem to think. "Getting things for free" is actually a hallmark of substandard products and bad business practise. Either what you are buying is worth it or it is not, have you even played any of the free games?
    You know that the games they are giving for free are actually being sold on other storefronts, right?
  • Red_ThomasRed_Thomas Member RarePosts: 666
    lahnmir said:
    Remember that time when Steam launched and it was the devil itself, single handedly ruining the entire gaming industry, destroying retail? Because I remember, Look at how times have changed, hilarious. We get a article about Epic exclusivity and immediately have people foaming at the mouth because they can bash Evil Incarnate some more completely ignoring the actual topic. Grow up. Gabe feeds on baby souls and your wallet, as does Sweeney, as does CDprojekt as do all others.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Yeah, that's pretty much my point.  I was on the anti-Steam bandwagon myself at the time, but that was also before I got more involved in business and understood economics better.
    elveone
  • Red_ThomasRed_Thomas Member RarePosts: 666
    Epic leaked personal info from my family before through a compromise on their end and caused me...issues. Not convinced they have fixed their security enough for me to trust them. 

Epic = no thanks for me

Nothing wrong with that.   Huge difference between having a personal reason not to do business with a company, and basing the choice on a lot of bad information and false attribution.

There are a number of companies that I personally don't do business with because I've had issues with them in the past or have some other personal objection to them.

elveone
  • mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981
    Of all the various things people have argued about regarding EGS, I'm surprised that the discussion has turned toward criticism/support of the free games they give away every couple weeks. I figured that was the one thing everyone could agree on as a decent thing/not worth arguing about. Now I'm questioning my whole world view  :o 
    Red_Thomaselveone

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence