Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Red Eats Crow - Epic Exclusivity Re-examined - MMORPG.com

Comments

• Red_ThomasRed_Thomas Member RarePosts: 666

i'm assuming because the "devs" already told us so, intervies with the devs saying they would more like to sell on epic because the return would be bigger, they are not willing to lower the price, and make a win-win for tehn and consummers, so pray tell me why I would support this?
    Could you cite that?  I don't remember seeing any devs say they weren't going to lower the price because their returns would be larger...

Even if they did, that doesn't really factor in the potential for more and bigger sales.
    alkarionlog
  • Red_ThomasRed_Thomas Member RarePosts: 666
    Hashbrick said:
    So they give you free games and that's enough to gain their support? Sound. Same regurgitated non-sense from the fan bois.
    Don't know that I'd be tossing around stones there.   Plenty of...  "non-sense," as you put it, to go around.
    alkarionlogGinazHatefull
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    edited September 2019
    Apparently the gaming industry is run by Ferengi.

Rule of Acquisition #1 -Once you have their money... you never give it back
    Rule of Acquisition #2 -The best deal is the one that brings the most profit.
    Rule of Acquisition #16 - A deal is a deal... until a better one comes along.

bcbully[Deleted User]Red_Thomas
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Remember that time when Steam launched and it was the devil itself, single handedly ruining the entire gaming industry, destroying retail? Because I remember, Look at how times have changed, hilarious. We get a article about Epic exclusivity and immediately have people foaming at the mouth because they can bash Evil Incarnate some more completely ignoring the actual topic. Grow up. Gabe feeds on baby souls and your wallet, as does Sweeney, as does CDprojekt as do all others.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    AeandercheyanealkarionlogelveoneHatefullRed_Thomas
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Nope. Epic could have made a good store, worked to get developers on there (even just offering reduced rates of take, and even better a split reduced rate of take that would benefit both developers and consumers), and treated people well. They didn't. It's really that simple. Exclusivity being paid for is the newest lootbox/gacha type thing. If we accept it, it will be everywhere. I, for one, do not wish to see 25 stores all buying different exclusives with no benefit to the consumers, thanks. I'm not really for Steam, just against Epic's choice of how to compete. Quality, good deals, and respect go a long way for me. When I'm not getting that (Steam isn't really great there, but they beat Epic hands down) I'm not really interested in offering my own respect, and far less my fiscal support. Where possible I still buy direct, although such options are far more limited than they used to be. I do like the idea of competition, but this is simply not the competition we need imo. P.S. I don't blame Epic for the choice of the developers or publishers, and I can understand that choice in some cases where the guarantee is really a good thing for those developers. That doesn't mean I cannot dislike the base practice of paying for things not to be available elsewhere, nor the snide remarks, nor the poor choices, nor the lack of completely basic features that a 1 person web store has...
    So you want a business like Epic to bow down to Steam,offer cheaper  rates to compete with a monopoly like Steam and then SHARE the profits with Steam?I think Epic would have to be the dumbest business on the planet if they did that.

Epic did what any smart business would do in competition versus a giant like Valve.They offered a very good rate to developers,that can never be considered a negative,if anything it SHOULD have forced Steam to offer devs the same standards but it shows just how powerful a monopoly Steam created because they did not budge on ANYTHING.Even the return laws are only what Steam is FORCED to do by law,otherwise they would say screw you,they care that little about customers.Just ask for support on any game not made by Valve<<<see the exit door we don't care.

Also as i have mentioned for a VERY long time,exclusive have been going on for MANY years,before games are even made,just pay the licensing fee and you hit a home run in sales.That is why we get all these super garbage HERO games that look like a high school budget made them,it is because all they care about is throwing a super hero like Superman or the Hulk out there and it will sell.Just pay someone like Marvel to get exclusive rights to the copyright and your rolling in money.
    People should quit pointing fingers at Epic,Valve is way more toxic a business than Epic and does not cater to the devs in any fashion,imo their commission is too high.People should also do some homework on all these other online stores like the Greenman gaming,there is some sketchy stuff going on in those stores and how they obtain their game codes.

lahnmircheyanealkarionlogelveone

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    Hashbrick said:
    Everyone in the comment section hating on Epic per usual.

Last game title I bought I purposely purchased from Epic. I'm not going to ignore them as they give me free games every other week. (even if some of them aren't to my taste). They're intentionally trying to get into this market and if they're willing to give me game titles for free, I'm going to support them with my $$$ when I decide it's time to purchase a game.

From the sounds of it the game devs are getting a much better deal from Epic too. I think it's awesome they're giving devs and consumers a sweet deal & it's funny to listen to the same regurgitated non-sense from the haters.
    So they give you free games and that's enough to gain their support? Sound. Same regurgitated non-sense from the fan bois.
    A Valvevangelist is the last person who should be calling someone a fan boi. Most of the steam community is grasping at straws to justify not wanting to split their library, and Steam doesn't even shower you with free weekly games.
    alkarionlog
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    There is also a much bigger picture out there but people jump on these small bandwagons full of tirade...anger.Our government in it's laws actually says no business has to offer any refunds,unless of course they broke some law.So even our own governments don't give two shits about the people.These game devs have all the cards in their hand and nobody seems to care about leveling the playing field.

So to think you want some extra special treatment from Epic and your own government couldn't give a shit about you,people need to wake up.
    Two things run this world,big business and money,YOU are like a needle in a haystack,nobody cares.If you want to see changes,the government is the one you need to ahem...lobby..ahem $$$ to force any hand at change.

Until then,these businesses all operate under the law,as sketchy as it may be at times,it is what it is,Epic is just a small player in a huge world.
    bcbully

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Wizardry said:
    Nope. Epic could have made a good store, worked to get developers on there (even just offering reduced rates of take, and even better a split reduced rate of take that would benefit both developers and consumers), and treated people well. They didn't. It's really that simple. Exclusivity being paid for is the newest lootbox/gacha type thing. If we accept it, it will be everywhere. I, for one, do not wish to see 25 stores all buying different exclusives with no benefit to the consumers, thanks. I'm not really for Steam, just against Epic's choice of how to compete. Quality, good deals, and respect go a long way for me. When I'm not getting that (Steam isn't really great there, but they beat Epic hands down) I'm not really interested in offering my own respect, and far less my fiscal support. Where possible I still buy direct, although such options are far more limited than they used to be. I do like the idea of competition, but this is simply not the competition we need imo. P.S. I don't blame Epic for the choice of the developers or publishers, and I can understand that choice in some cases where the guarantee is really a good thing for those developers. That doesn't mean I cannot dislike the base practice of paying for things not to be available elsewhere, nor the snide remarks, nor the poor choices, nor the lack of completely basic features that a 1 person web store has...
    So you want a business like Epic to bow down to Steam,offer cheaper  rates to compete with a monopoly like Steam and then SHARE the profits with Steam?I think Epic would have to be the dumbest business on the planet if they did that.

Epic did what any smart business would do in competition versus a giant like Valve.They offered a very good rate to developers,that can never be considered a negative,if anything it SHOULD have forced Steam to offer devs the same standards but it shows just how powerful a monopoly Steam created because they did not budge on ANYTHING.Even the return laws are only what Steam is FORCED to do by law,otherwise they would say screw you,they care that little about customers.Just ask for support on any game not made by Valve<<<see the exit door we don't care.

Also as i have mentioned for a VERY long time,exclusive have been going on for MANY years,before games are even made,just pay the licensing fee and you hit a home run in sales.That is why we get all these super garbage HERO games that look like a high school budget made them,it is because all they care about is throwing a super hero like Superman or the Hulk out there and it will sell.Just pay someone like Marvel to get exclusive rights to the copyright and your rolling in money.
    People should quit pointing fingers at Epic,Valve is way more toxic a business than Epic and does not cater to the devs in any fashion,imo their commission is too high.People should also do some homework on all these other online stores like the Greenman gaming,there is some sketchy stuff going on in those stores and how they obtain their game codes.

What a crazy day, I agree with you. What will happen next, aliens invading?

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    elveoneHatefull

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    Aeander said:
    Hashbrick said:

Last game title I bought I purposely purchased from Epic. I'm not going to ignore them as they give me free games every other week. (even if some of them aren't to my taste). They're intentionally trying to get into this market and if they're willing to give me game titles for free, I'm going to support them with my $$$ when I decide it's time to purchase a game.

From the sounds of it the game devs are getting a much better deal from Epic too. I think it's awesome they're giving devs and consumers a sweet deal & it's funny to listen to the same regurgitated non-sense from the haters.
    A Valvevangelist
    Holy shit, quit your day job and become a wordsmith, that one rolls right off the tongue......... yep
    alkarionlogRed_Thomas
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    You know what's funny, people insinuating that Steam was a "monopoly" just because they were there. I could be wrong, I don't recall them buying out their competition or doing anything to skew the industry so they would be the only existing business.

Ironically the definition of monopoly has this gem in it:

the exclusive possession or control of the supply of or trade in a commodity or service.
    "his likely motive was to protect his regional monopoly on furs"

HashbrickalkarionlogGinazTacticalZombeh
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    lahnmir said:
    Wizardry said:

What a crazy day, I agree with you. What will happen next, aliens invading?

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    People ARE invading area 51 after all. Anything's possible.

Hashbrick said:
    Don't know that I'd be tossing around stones there.   Plenty of...  "non-sense," as you put it, to go around.
    I didn't put it LoganDread put it, I just parody it in the other direction.
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400

Hashbrick said:

Someone disagrees with you, must be a fanboi, right? Sound, same regurgitated nonsense from haters.

elveoneHatefullRed_Thomas
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    Hashbrick said:
    Aeander said:
    Hashbrick said:

A Valvevangelist
    Holy shit, quit your day job and become a wordsmith, that one rolls right off the tongue......... yep
    It actually kind of does roll off the tongue.  :p
    elveoneHatefullTacticalZombehRed_Thomas
    In other, more fun, news the Epic Store is offering the entire Batman Arkham Trilogy AND Batman Lego Trilogy for absolutely free this week. Don´t be a hater, be a gamer!

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    AeanderalkarionlogelveoneHatefullTacticalZombeh

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Siysrril said:
    Who would be happy to visit that local store to get some beef if the quality of the service in the new store is subpar compared to the one they are used to?
    I would if the beef is better
    Red_Thomas
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    moshra said:

Hashbrick said:

Someone disagrees with you, must be a fanboi, right? Sound, same regurgitated nonsense from haters.

*whoosh*
    Aeander said:
    Hashbrick said:
    Aeander said:
    Hashbrick said:

A Valvevangelist
    It actually kind of does roll off the tongue.  :p
    I feel like I'm having a stroke just trying to say it aloud.
    Red_Thomas
  • mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981
    lahnmir said:
    In other, more fun, news the Epic Store is offering the entire Batman Arkham Trilogy AND Batman Lego Trilogy for absolutely free this week. Don´t be a hater, be a gamer!

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

A real gamer would already have these on Steam! Kidding. Thanks for the head's up. :)
    bcbully said:
    In this case, the "beef" is a digitally distributed product that would be identical on whichever store front it is distributed on. I'm not sure there is an appreciable difference of quality to speak of there and it would come down to which "local store" provided the better service (beauty being in the eye of the beholder and all that).
    Red_Thomas

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    mklinic said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

A real gamer would already have these on Steam! Kidding. Thanks for the head's up. :)
    bcbully said:
    In this case, the "beef" is a digitally distributed product that would be identical on whichever store front it is distributed on. I'm not sure there is an appreciable difference of quality to speak of there and it would come down to which "local store" provided the better service (beauty being in the eye of the beholder and all that).
    what i'm seeing is epic is the kind who target the hippies and "open minded" people who want to fight the big evil cooporation when defending a bigger state to take care of then, aka don't even know what they are doing

i'm for what is the benefit for me, devs getting a bigger cut don't give me any benefit, waiting for a steam sale who give me 50%+ discount benefit me, with I don't see epic doing anytime soon at least, plus not willing to download another launcher. and the fact epic don't have anything good to sell helps
    mkliniclahnmir
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

mklinic said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

bcbully said:
    what i'm seeing is epic is the kind who target the hippies and "open minded" people who want to fight the big evil cooporation when defending a bigger state to take care of then, aka don't even know what they are doing

i'm for what is the benefit for me, devs getting a bigger cut don't give me any benefit, waiting for a steam sale who give me 50%+ discount benefit me, with I don't see epic doing anytime soon at least, plus not willing to download another launcher. and the fact epic don't have anything good to sell helps
    I agree wholeheartedly, go for that which has more benefits. Epic gives me one or more games for absolutely free every week, SIX even this week, Steam never does so Epic definitely benefits me more on a weekly basis. I also agree that games like Borderlands 3, Operencia, the new Metro, Ashen etc. aren't good games, they are great. See? We can still agree ;)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    elveonegervaise1Red_Thomas

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    lahnmir said:
    mklinic said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

bcbully said:

I agree wholeheartedly, go for that which has more benefits. Epic gives me one or more games for absolutely free every week, SIX even this week, Steam never does so Epic definitely benefits me more on a weekly basis. I also agree that games like Borderlands 3, Operencia, the new Metro, Ashen etc. aren't good games, they are great. See? We can still agree ;)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    yes I could even do so, since I did that on origin too, but I didn't play anyone of then, and I did get free games from steam too and also don't play then lol, so giving "free" games don't make me play it, and I only played one the the line, and when I finished the game I figure out why it was free lol
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    If I was a game developer I would make sure my game was available on as many platforms as possible.  There is no way any exclusive deal on Epic is going to make the same income as one that is available at least on Steam too.  Just a really bad marketing decision.  Exclusivity just limits your audience.   

elveonealkarionlog
    lahnmir said:
    mklinic said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

bcbully said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    yes I could even do so, since I did that on origin too, but I didn't play anyone of then, and I did get free games from steam too and also don't play then lol, so giving "free" games don't make me play it, and I only played one the the line, and when I finished the game I figure out why it was free lol
    Origins and Steams free games pale in comparison to the quantity and quality of free games handed out by Epic, and I am pretty sure you are fully aware of that. you don't have to like titles like Batman: Arkham Trilogy, Hyperlight Drifter, Axiom Verge, Mutant Year Zero, Alan Wake etc. etc. but that says absolutely nothing about their quality and the Epic store. I also don't get the "" marks when you say free. These games are truly free, contrary to the 'play it for free this weekend only' deals that Steam runs a lot, those games are "free," the Epic ones are just free.

you don't have to like the Epic store, I don't care, just don't come up with BS reasons.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

elveonealkarionlog