Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hardcore SotA supporter changes her mind

Comments

• HilltHillt Member UncommonPosts: 72
    edited September 2019
    "but at least I'm important enough to them that they care what I say, so I'll keep playing."

That's only if it's a negative review or you pay enough for them to care. 
    AlleineDragonfyre
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited September 2019
    Hillt said:
    Everyone agreed with your review yet you took it down because of pressure from the developers and you still play their game. 

That's what blows my mind.  Having your eyes wide open to how shady the developers are and yet still being willing to play their game.  Maybe it's an ego thing, as in:  Well, I don't like how they treat other people and me, but at least I'm important enough to them that they care what I say, so I'll keep playing.

Instead of attributing her motivation to some ego stroking issue perhaps it's more a case of she's invested a considerable amount of time and money so far, probably has friends and enjoys several or even many gameplay aspects so she soldiers forward.

Being asked by the developers to take down a damaging review and agreeing to do so is more a case of mutual self interest, at least if she hopes to see some improvement and keep playing long term.

Heck, I'm getting ready to go back to FO76 because, well, its Fallout....and I love the way automatic combat shotguns explode their targets....

>:) 

AlleineDragonfyre

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

I went back to WoW Classic because it was and is a decent game prior to all the expansions that watered it down and broke my enjoyable experiences. 
  • AlleineDragonfyreAlleineDragonfyre Member UncommonPosts: 9
    Kyleran said:
    Instead of attributing her motivation to some ego stroking issue perhaps it's more a case of she's invested a considerable amount of time and money so far, probably has friends and enjoys several or even many gameplay aspects so she soldiers forward.

Being asked by the developers to take down a damaging review and agreeing to do so is more a case of mutual self interest, at least if she hopes to see some improvement and keep playing long term.

This, pretty much. I can't help it that people only have two colors, Black and White, in their crayon box.

Seems complex thought patterns are hard with a lot of people around here.
    KyleranSovrathHillt
    Avatars Radio - Radio of the Avatars!
    Broadcasting in the Metaverse
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Kyleran said:
    Hillt said:
    Everyone agreed with your review yet you took it down because of pressure from the developers and you still play their game. 

That's what blows my mind.  Having your eyes wide open to how shady the developers are and yet still being willing to play their game.  Maybe it's an ego thing, as in:  Well, I don't like how they treat other people and me, but at least I'm important enough to them that they care what I say, so I'll keep playing.

Heck, I'm getting ready to go back to FO76 because, well, its Fallout....and I love the way automatic combat shotguns explode their targets....

Yup, could be.  We'll never know.
    Kyleran
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I would hate to see a discussion of my own inconsistencies when it comes to me quitting and saying a game sucks, then playing it again anyway.

Let this poor young lady change her mind if she is so inclined. 
    KyleranAlleineDragonfyreHillt

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• DogDroppingDanDogDroppingDan Newbie CommonPosts: 18
    All twelve people still playing breathed a sigh of relief.
    KyleranAlleineDragonfyretweedledumb99kenguru23
    Amathe said:
    I would hate to see a discussion of my own inconsistencies when it comes to me quitting and saying a game sucks, then playing it again anyway.

Let this poor young lady change her mind if she is so inclined. 

It wouldn't be an issue if she didn't have a history of laying into people who criticize SotA and calling them trolls regardless of the nature of their criticism.  If you're interested, look into her response history on Massively to SotA critics, assuming the comments haven't been deleted.
    AlleineDragonfyreKyleranHilltEarthgirl
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967

"EVERYBODY CAN CHAAANGE!"  :D

AlleineDragonfyreaRtFuLThinG
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • AlleineDragonfyreAlleineDragonfyre Member UncommonPosts: 9
    All twelve people still playing breathed a sigh of relief.
    Ok that was genuinely funny :blush:
    Kyleran
    Avatars Radio - Radio of the Avatars!
    Broadcasting in the Metaverse
  • BetaTankBetaTank Newbie CommonPosts: 7
    Most of the critical players don't constantly cry about critical players being called trolls because they know that many people are critical without being trollish.

Trolls, however, keep crying about people being called trolls. Because they know in their heart they are the one being called it. And they know it is because they are trolls.

We all know where to find you guys. Keep crying, but the trolls will always be trolls. Critical reasonable people aren't.
    BetaTank said:
    Most of the critical players don't constantly cry about critical players being called trolls because they know that many people are critical without being trollish.

Trolls, however, keep crying about people being called trolls. Because they know in their heart they are the one being called it. And they know it is because they are trolls.

We all know where to find you guys. Keep crying, but the trolls will always be trolls. Critical reasonable people aren't.
    If only the diehard supporters of SotA, and the developers, were able to distinguish between the two.
    Earthgirl
  • LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692
    No one influenced my decision except Portalarium.

You see, right there. That' a fail. If Portalarium told you to remove you review because reasons… Then Portalarium is really what we think they are.  A bunch of dishonnest people with only one objective. MONEY.
    They are ready to do anything for that and at the end of the day you are still not free to post whatever you want ,Or else…...

Rhoklaw said:
    You should come play WoW Classic, there's no drama here!
    Well except for the streamer layering exploits you mean.

[Deleted User]

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:

This, pretty much. I can't help it that people only have two colors, Black and White, in their crayon box.

Here we go with attacking people again. Attack Delete Attack Delete, pattern?
    Kyleran
    Kyleran said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    You should come play WoW Classic, there's no drama here!
    Well except for the streamer layering exploits you mean.

They fixed that and banned those that took advantage of it. 
    edited September 2019
    Hillt said:
    Kyleran said:

Here we go with attacking people again. Attack Delete Attack Delete, pattern?
    As she was originally attacked with accusations of egotism and self importance I'd say her reply was more of a parry and riposte.

You are sort of proving her point though, thx for stepping up.

tweedledumb99Hillt

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I honestly forgot this game was still around
    Hillt
  • SagasaintSagasaint Member UncommonPosts: 466
    edited September 2019

You gave the game a scathing review, then took it down when requested/pressured by the devs, then commented how it left you feeling wrong about of all this. 

Your thought patterns arent "complex". Rather it looks like there are 2 people in your head screaming different things. Might want to work on that. 
    cheebaKylerantweedledumb99
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Well if they want this person as a voice for their community that says enough. Petulant, arrogant, totally unprofessional. You guys can keep this game.
    SensaicheebaKyleran

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• Xee2018Xee2018 Member UncommonPosts: 168
    edited September 2019
    Iselin said:
    Xee2018 said:
    :) Iselin I do agree on release they should have at least done a level wipe and bank everything people had imo, but they didnt which did give a little bit of an unfair as far as levels go.  Some still think housing locations were very important.  perhaps for the first few months, but these days Its all about the player towns for markets for the top sales.   

As to KS games, I think that these games probably would never have existed if it wasn't for the people that backed them.  I think it was the player funding that allowed the people with the idea to make it without requiring a massive budget or to be in bed with a publisher or gaming co.

@Alliene Still remember the day you and Hubby started in Isle of Xee :smile:  Was fun times.
    I get how KS games get funded but some, very few, do show restraint with what the higher tier donors get as thanks for their donations. Camelot Unchained in particular is all about extra copies of the game, extra game time or even lifetime subs at the highest tiers. Other games give you things like NPCs or towns named after you, ability to design a quest, ettc. There are lots of things that can be provided as rewards without them affecting the game start state.

It just boggles my mind that most crowdfunded games do essentially give out P2W advantages seemingly oblivious to the harm that does to their ability to attract new blood post-launch. They then try to sell the fiction that those advantages aren't all that advantageous. Star Citizen and Chronicles of Elyria are two good examples of that horseshit in action. One selling uber ships and the other one kingships, dukedoms, etc.
    There definitely has been absolutely no restraint from Portalarium in their funding. There was talk in the beginning from the entire community (both backers and developers) about MMO investing and that virtual space now has real-life value.

Here's the thing though: Games first and inherent quality is that they are assumed fair to all players. If players feel the game is tipped in other players favor, they're not going to play. Period.

So, in this case you cannot have it all. Either its a game or a virtual homestead and not a game. If that is the case Portalarium should stop calling it a game and call it a virtual home to hang out in and show off your stuff. Because, honestly, that's really all anyone does anyway.

Recently someone told me they spent $17,000 on the game like it was nothing. And people wonder why no one plays it.

---------------------------------------------------------------
    now lets be fair that person that spent $17,000 over lets say 5 years doesnt make it seem any better, but there was also backers that shelled out $32,000 for the top KS backing.

IMO if it was not for the larger backers the game may never have existed.  Some of us donate a lot of money more so because we believe in the end game and wanted to make sure the game becomes everything that most wanted.   Some are still pumping money to fix the issues which is seen every patch. 

I also want to point out that the person that you are talking about is using an approx account value based on total assets including money spent, things donated, and total gain through in game trades and economy. 

Some like CathrineRose and this person who back a tremendous amount are not in the game to make money back but rather to support the community, the game, and to play to have fun.  They want to see the game get off its feet and to be fixed so all can enjoy.   

no different in my mind then supporting a charity :)

Xee2018 said:
    Iselin said:
    Xee2018 said:
    :) Iselin I do agree on release they should have at least done a level wipe and bank everything people had imo, but they didnt which did give a little bit of an unfair as far as levels go.  Some still think housing locations were very important.  perhaps for the first few months, but these days Its all about the player towns for markets for the top sales.   

As to KS games, I think that these games probably would never have existed if it wasn't for the people that backed them.  I think it was the player funding that allowed the people with the idea to make it without requiring a massive budget or to be in bed with a publisher or gaming co.

@Alliene Still remember the day you and Hubby started in Isle of Xee :smile:  Was fun times.
    I get how KS games get funded but some, very few, do show restraint with what the higher tier donors get as thanks for their donations. Camelot Unchained in particular is all about extra copies of the game, extra game time or even lifetime subs at the highest tiers. Other games give you things like NPCs or towns named after you, ability to design a quest, ettc. There are lots of things that can be provided as rewards without them affecting the game start state.

It just boggles my mind that most crowdfunded games do essentially give out P2W advantages seemingly oblivious to the harm that does to their ability to attract new blood post-launch. They then try to sell the fiction that those advantages aren't all that advantageous. Star Citizen and Chronicles of Elyria are two good examples of that horseshit in action. One selling uber ships and the other one kingships, dukedoms, etc.
    There definitely has been absolutely no restraint from Portalarium in their funding. There was talk in the beginning from the entire community (both backers and developers) about MMO investing and that virtual space now has real-life value.

Here's the thing though: Games first and inherent quality is that they are assumed fair to all players. If players feel the game is tipped in other players favor, they're not going to play. Period.

So, in this case you cannot have it all. Either its a game or a virtual homestead and not a game. If that is the case Portalarium should stop calling it a game and call it a virtual home to hang out in and show off your stuff. Because, honestly, that's really all anyone does anyway.

Recently someone told me they spent $17,000 on the game like it was nothing. And people wonder why no one plays it.

now lets be fair that person that spent $17,000 over lets say 5 years doesnt make it seem any better, but there was also backers that shelled out $32,000 for the top KS backing.

IMO if it was not for the larger backers the game may never have existed.  Some of us donate a lot of money more so because we believe in the end game and wanted to make sure the game becomes everything that most wanted.   Some are still pumping money to fix the issues which is seen every patch. 

I also want to point out that the person that you are talking about is using an approx account value based on total assets including money spent, things donated, and total gain through in game trades and economy. 

Some like CathrineRose and this person who back a tremendous amount are not in the game to make money back but rather to support the community, the game, and to play to have fun.  They want to see the game get off its feet and to be fixed so all can enjoy.   

Right.  Give money to SotA.  Give money to Make a Wish.  Basically the same thing.
    edited September 2019
    Xee2018 said:
    Iselin said:
    Xee2018 said:

Right.  Give money to SotA.  Give money to Make a Wish.  Basically the same thing.
    Give money to SotA. Give money to the Church of Scientology, those living under the bridge feel this is a more accurate comparison.

tweedledumb99

• Xee2018Xee2018 Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Kyleran said:
    Xee2018 said:
    Iselin said:
    Xee2018 said:

Give money to SotA. Give money to the Church of Scientology, those living under the bridge feel this is a more accurate comparison.

I guess I should choose my words better lol.  it does sound bad using charity.  Either way its money to support the idea.
    How much longer do you throw good money after bad? The money spent by backers hasn't really transformed into a good investment at all. There are so many bugs in the game that there is no way to fix even a minuscule amount. Yet people keep giving money in hopes that it gets better. 6+ years later there are less and less people playing, there are more issues every month, yet Portalarium keeps saying that if you stop giving money then things won't get fixed. How about ensuring things don't get broke rather then ensuring things will eventually get fixed. 

I just laugh at people when they tell how much they've spent. All you can do is call them "suckers"!