Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft Classic Review - MMORPG.com

124»

Comments

• tomhellboundtomhellbound Member CommonPosts: 6
    are you for real 9 is this a joke
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    *Cool weapons with unique proc effects; check!
    *Quests that require grouping to complete; check!
    *Bosses that push the limit of undergeared levelers, leading to a feeling of accomplishment when downed; check!
    *Community that is willing to group up, and even type in chat to each other; check!
    *Leveling that requires attention so that you don't die; check!

My boxes are ticked so far. Really enjoying it for the foreseeable future [6+ months].

Thanks, Blizzard [and sorry Retail and myself didnt work out since Cataclysm!]!
  • OGDeathRowOGDeathRow Member UncommonPosts: 129
    acidblood said:
    Im sorry, but your wrong. Your gonna come back and say your not. Wanna know why your wrong? Cause each of your points are easily stripped down. Unique instance layouts, rofl, reaching for straws. ESO wants to have a word with you.

I mean your opening about talking about dailies, I never mentioned daily quests, at any point I said daily grind, rep grind,xp grind,material grind, gold grind. So did you even read what I said?

Diffrent mobs and abilities, lol, again most mmo's when it comes to dungeons. Unique maps, mob attacks. And classes by level 20, come on, most mmo's you play the class the same as u do at level 20 towards max cause you have the basic attack line. Some games replace your early spells with better ones, that offer more but it rarely actually changes the class gameplay IE you dont play a mage to level 20 in another game then all of a sudden hes rocking full melee attacks, which means you still attack from ranged. That honestly is the dumbest "pro" to a game. All games classes feel like there classes after several levels, so your outta touch?

Honestly imma just stop there, your arguements are so weak. I tried telling you with my last post, and you came back with the exact same points with little changes to words. You never played vanilla or classic, nice fall back. Sorry my view of what you say is available in alot of other mmos and some even do it better. Again, im glad you enjoy this game, but stop trying to preach it as something its not. Its a minority game, and always will be. Why is that hard to accept?

Oh OK, so you're an expert on all MMOs now? And have extensive experience with Vanilla / Classic WoW? How about FFXIV? Because those are two games I was comparing. If ESO has those features as well, then great, good for it, too bad about the lootboxes.

And look, I know there is no point arguing with you, you don't like WoW, and that's fine, what I do have a problem with is you pretending that you know what you are talking about; it is obvious that you do not.

NB. And if you are going to break any activity in a game down to a 'grind' then :faceplam:

Dont have to be an expert to see something right in front of view. Who said I dont like WoW? I spent many upon many hours enjoying WoW as it grew. Especially since me and my daughter played together, but there ya go, digging up info i never say........
  • evgen88evgen88 Member UncommonPosts: 120
    A 9 seems like a bit much. Sure there are a lot of things people like about the game that are missing in games since then, but that doesn't make up for all problems. Shitty character creator, shitty customization options, shitty group systems, unbalanced PvP, bugs intentionally put in the game XD.
    Metacritic user score: 5.8
    That sounds more like it.
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    only morons buy the same game again,lol.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    Well i have to say my experience so far in classic has taken me by surprise ,and its due to the people in it. one thing classic does well is make people work together ive only reached 18 but have grouped up dozens of times already and everyone has been friendly even when im running around solo people will buff you offer you an item even had my bracers enchanted without asking and yes i know for the cynics out there they get a point in their enchanting for that .im an old timer to these games and over the years i had come to believe that community was toxic everywhere ,i didnt help this situation because seeing some of the chat i never speak to anyone but classic has restored a lot of faith that people can be nice to one and other (if only we had that on here ) and just to add Wow was never my number one game i was an EQ2 player but where as i dont think Wows cartoony graphics age badly at all ,i mean cartoony is cartoony Eq2 does look very dated .this is just MY experience so far and i am on a normal server my cynic side says that when it comes to raiding there maybe some toxicity but now im having a blast .

I've been saying for years old school MMORPG's were about game mechanics that fostered community more than anything else. That is the biggest difference between modern day single player MMO's and old school. For me and many others that trumps gameplay and graphics. It is a social MMORPG with chat (outside of newbie zones) mainly uses to form groups for content.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    edited September 2019
    Scorchien said:
    Really enjoying WoW again , leveling a Hunter/Shaman and Druid .. Having a great time with all 3 ..

Its taking up most of my gaming time ....

I know ... its just Nostalgia we've been told ......................right ...?

lol
    Thats good, but why are you enjoying it? Basic combat? Outdated graphics? Freedom of character builds against meta that under perform at every angle? Oh, but some will say ya, but its MY build, ok awesome, you came up with subpar choices, good on you for not being good? (not trying to be rude) Spending 20 mins travel from quest hub to quest hub? (speaking of which wasnt this forum plagued with posts about quest hub games being trash? but because this is classic its ok?) Everyone hated on the rails questing for the past several years till this was released? Oh, but theres no quest helper aids in game, wanna know a fact, that only got introduced because people made mods, and it was so widely used it was added to the actually game. Just like calendar events for guilds, used to be a add on. People dont want the help, but the stats show different. 

Theres more to be touched on but i dont wanna make a wall of text, but i mean lets be real here, it is nostalgia for a major portion of the population. Theres 2 things people discuss the majority of the time, that is difficulty and community.

Those will not last, the community WILL thin out, and what happens in a month time when you get your quests in a level 28 in zone for kill elite creatures for a quest, and because the hype is gone theres no one around doing the same quest. Oh, ask your guild, but you cant expect everyone to endure the lengthy travel times to help everyone who needs it. Especially since flying has been removed and mounted ground speed has been set back to needing max level to go max speed. Thats why these types of quests were removed, they stop getting done after a few months, so they become wasted data. People just abandon or avoid them. People dont think elitism kicks in for dungeons when people are on there 5th toon going thru scarlet monastary? I mean, come on, Rag was killed. The mindset of people still remains the same. 

As you get used to the "older" style of mechanics when it comes to combat (difficulty) which is only hard cause ur rocking greens/whites/greys, you will get used to the ins and outs of mass pulling eventually. Go into BFA weraing white gears, see how well you do and hard the game is then. Im not kidding, you have a sub, go get some white gear and head to bfa and tell us how it went. People cry retail WoW is easy, yet most lack mythic raid/challenge mode achievements. 

Dont get me wrong, im glad you and many others are having fun, and im not trying to rain on peoples parades. This may not even be you, you might be a exception to these things i said, but for a huge part of its population, yes it is nostalgia.

You wrote a wall of text (after you said you don't want to write a wall of text) telling us why we should/will not continue to enjoy this game then end it with you are not trying to rain on our parade. You sound confused. 

How about this buddy.....you play what you want, leave us to play what we want. No rain, just parades for all. Or would  you like to argue about what my favorite ice cream flavor or pizza toppings should be? I am obviously not capable of knowing what I enjoy. 

smfh.

Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    I actually went ahead and tried it out with friends, except we are running into the exact same problem we had for vanilla, its hard to stay at same levels and quests so you can team up.

I realize why leveling felt so addictive back in the days, you have to work for levels, gear, trade skills and secondary skills so you can get rewards after putting enough time in. In that way it feels more rewarding than getting rewards every 5-10 minutes after completing a simple quests.

Lots of the gameplay is as mindless as I remember it, you learn how to level and you repeat it. There is a tedium to the gameplay, combat feels passive, you run back and forth, it feels really slow.

I'm hitting a point where repeating the same actions is losing its novelty, where gaining items and levels don't make up for the dull gameplay. The conditioning that the game exerts on the player fades quickly nowadays.

Its not the same thing as it was when it got released in 2005 (for europeans), we aren't discussing the game, what we do, what we found because we have already done the whole thing before. In many ways classic WoW falls into the same trap as all the other mmorpg we played after original WoW, same reward cycle under a different skin.....or in this case the same skin.

At its roots its still a well made game which is why it became such a hit back in 2005 and why you still have lots of people still sticking around. For me its just not the same thing anymore.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • OGDeathRowOGDeathRow Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Viper482 said:
    Scorchien said:
    Really enjoying WoW again , leveling a Hunter/Shaman and Druid .. Having a great time with all 3 ..

Its taking up most of my gaming time ....

I know ... its just Nostalgia we've been told ......................right ...?

lol
    Thats good, but why are you enjoying it? Basic combat? Outdated graphics? Freedom of character builds against meta that under perform at every angle? Oh, but some will say ya, but its MY build, ok awesome, you came up with subpar choices, good on you for not being good? (not trying to be rude) Spending 20 mins travel from quest hub to quest hub? (speaking of which wasnt this forum plagued with posts about quest hub games being trash? but because this is classic its ok?) Everyone hated on the rails questing for the past several years till this was released? Oh, but theres no quest helper aids in game, wanna know a fact, that only got introduced because people made mods, and it was so widely used it was added to the actually game. Just like calendar events for guilds, used to be a add on. People dont want the help, but the stats show different. 

Theres more to be touched on but i dont wanna make a wall of text, but i mean lets be real here, it is nostalgia for a major portion of the population. Theres 2 things people discuss the majority of the time, that is difficulty and community.

Those will not last, the community WILL thin out, and what happens in a month time when you get your quests in a level 28 in zone for kill elite creatures for a quest, and because the hype is gone theres no one around doing the same quest. Oh, ask your guild, but you cant expect everyone to endure the lengthy travel times to help everyone who needs it. Especially since flying has been removed and mounted ground speed has been set back to needing max level to go max speed. Thats why these types of quests were removed, they stop getting done after a few months, so they become wasted data. People just abandon or avoid them. People dont think elitism kicks in for dungeons when people are on there 5th toon going thru scarlet monastary? I mean, come on, Rag was killed. The mindset of people still remains the same. 

As you get used to the "older" style of mechanics when it comes to combat (difficulty) which is only hard cause ur rocking greens/whites/greys, you will get used to the ins and outs of mass pulling eventually. Go into BFA weraing white gears, see how well you do and hard the game is then. Im not kidding, you have a sub, go get some white gear and head to bfa and tell us how it went. People cry retail WoW is easy, yet most lack mythic raid/challenge mode achievements. 

Dont get me wrong, im glad you and many others are having fun, and im not trying to rain on peoples parades. This may not even be you, you might be a exception to these things i said, but for a huge part of its population, yes it is nostalgia.

You wrote a wall of text (after you said you don't want to write a wall of text) telling us why we should/will not continue to enjoy this game then end it with you are not trying to rain on our parade. You sound confused. 

How about this buddy.....you play what you want, leave us to play what we want. No rain, just parades for all. Or would  you like to argue about what my favorite ice cream flavor or pizza toppings should be? I am obviously not capable of knowing what I enjoy. 

smfh.

Honestly buddy, im sorry you cant handle truths. Im not arguing with people on what there favorites are, im arguing about classic being a godsend. Keep WTF my posts buddy, your sour for w/e reason. This post of yours is just a attack towards me with no substance. Keep up the solid posts buddy.
    Phry
  • DinastyDinasty Member UncommonPosts: 212
    The nostalgia has pretty much worn off at this point. It's just a huge grind in every single way, to keep you subbed.
    Like Pattytheperfect basically said, 'ESO is better'. Even without paying the sub.
  • MrG8MrG8 Member UncommonPosts: 111
    I love it. Played vanilla and after that on a few private vanilla servers. Lets hope they leave this classic with the vanilla experience and slowly back off and leave it like that.