Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which old MMO would you like to see re-launch as a full-blown VR title?

13»

Comments

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    When I play MMOs, I want to sit in a comfy chair and use keyboard and mouse in an efficient interface, so I can play for hours and even when I get sleepy etc.

But if this would be a chance to get a new Vanguard: Saga of Heroes, I'd gladly tolerate VR.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    One more thing to add: in the comfort of my home I have found I can go for hours in VR but at a VRrcade an experience is better relegated to 10 minutes or less; the depth of the experience has the potential to be entirely different at home versus in public.

If not at first, I was eventually aware of my surroundings, at least on a subconscious level. It's not as safe to dive quite so deeply in a public space.

There are a lot of comments referencing the desired length of an experience in this thread, and I can't help but wonder if private and public virtual reality experiences may be getting conflated.

I've gone for a couple hours or more in Gear VR at home with no comfort problems: at least none which noticeably detracted from the experience.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    I didn't read anything in this thread but the title.

If EVE came out with a new server cluster that didn't include game time for cash, I'd feel like my life is complete.
  • HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    Wizardry said:
    LMAO...So who is going to do the VR mode,i haven't seen one developer come even remotely close to doing anything with VR.

VR SHOULD stand for hands on interactive gameplay,however somewhere along the lines devs and people THINK VR is simply a light show.
    So if i got my fave mmo remade with VR,i would be looking at a waste of money,i just rather play w/o rather than pay again to play the same thing with slanted mirrors and side vision.

I can't even imagine how much work it would be to do a VR game properly with full on interaction.The way it would be done is by simply taking your KB/Mouse binds and sticking them to various VR peripherals,so all we do is move the mechanics from one place to another.

Then if truly done as interactive,just imagine the lag,the speed of the internet would have to be breakneck and the PC's very high end.

Call me back in 2030.
    It never stood for hands on interactive.  It stood for virtual reality, meaning seeing and experiencing something in another reality other than your own.  Current VR does exactly that.

I feel like you just hate on shit without even knowing it.  There is plenty of interactive VR games where you move all over the fuckin place and punch and slash and w/e have you.

Experience it first before you complain about it.  There wouldn't be any lag, it does nothing but allow you to control the camera and motions of the character.  There was one that was in development to be a lite-mmo from an indie studio, there just isn't a major company interested yet to bring it to MMOs.
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    VR gaming is like watching 3d movies....Its a cool novelty for about 30 minutes and then it gets old.
    GaladournOrthelian
    VR gaming is like watching 3d movies....Its a cool novelty for about 30 minutes and then it gets old.
    To me it's been an engaging and compelling paradigm shift in media since 2016, but perhaps this is one of those 'I like cilantro / I don't like cilantro' things...
    OrthelianLokero

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Not too old or MMO but Monster Hunter Online. Just imagine having to run up to these beasts in VR and attack them, terrifying and amazing in equal measures.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Phaserlight
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    lahnmir said:
    Not too old or MMO but Monster Hunter Online. Just imagine having to run up to these beasts in VR and attack them, terrifying and amazing in equal measures.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    I like you. I like your comments. But this seems phoned in.
  • KeushpuppyKeushpuppy Member UncommonPosts: 171
    Vandarix said:
    This is easy.…. Asheron's Call and I'd buy it the second it dropped.

with out a doubt Asherons Call.
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    edited September 2019
    I doubt MMOs could be successful in a VR environment. VR is more suitable for action games really.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    I like you. I like your comments. But this seems phoned in.
    I´m not sure i am following you. I am a huge Monster Hunter fan and I would love to see it in VR. Mind you, VR isn´t at an acceptable stage for me yet, but once it is a MH title might convince me to buy a Oculus/Vive/whatever. And having to get into melee range with a Rahtian, diablos or Bazelgeuse in VR is an intimidating prospect to say the least.

A true MMO however, that seems rather unfit for VR, just think about all those action bars and menu's. We'll see how a title like Zenith turns out but those older MMOs, hell no.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034
    EverQuest, in terms of setting, style, and pacing, would be more than enough.

Of course, any "VR relaunch" would beg for plenty of changes for tying character action to player action, especially a total redesign of combat systems, replacing both tab-target and action-combat styles with something 1:1.

VR melee combat is something seeing a lot of experimentation with how to deal with the lack of resistance. We usually see that multiplayer VR combat is built on aiming and firing, or throwing, or instantly cutting through—but some melee projects' solutions stand out high above the others like Blade & Sorcery.

My main problem with existing VRMMOs like OrbusVR is the uninspiring setting. And I don't mean graphics-wise. You don't need high-detail graphics at all, when you have presence. Being present in a world of cardboard cutouts is better than sitting outside of Black Desert. But those cardboard cutouts still need to be arranged into a world of history, culture, strife, atmosphere...

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • DogDroppingDanDogDroppingDan Newbie CommonPosts: 18
    Dude how the hell can you properly mmo with a headset on?

Like that's almost impossible. Ever wear a set for more than a few hours? Lemme know the last game MADE for vr wasn't anything aside from a app store level depth type of deal.

Point is. Nobody wants this for real. It would mess you up good. MMO's already cater to the secret social butterfly and if VR chat has taught us anything...

You go fucking nuts.
  • Rockinw311Rockinw311 Member UncommonPosts: 147
    TradeWars 2002
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    im skipping the whole VR thing. im waiting till you can plug me into the matrix, then we will talk.
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    edited September 2019
    you guys DO understand that whatever game you want to be VR, won't have propper movement anymore, right? you will teleport around in it, at best.

so the only game i can see comming along with that problem, is most likely dungeon master (and it's clones), which never had fluid movement anyway

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

DrunkWolf said:
    im skipping the whole VR thing. im waiting till you can plug me into the matrix, then we will talk.
    I dont think anyone in this thread will ever see a Holodeck.

A matrix isnt possible in reallife because you cannot disconnect a person from their body sensitivity without actually cutting the nerves.

So VR is all you'll ever get. Sorry.

DrunkWolf said:
    I dont think anyone in this thread will ever see a Holodeck.

A matrix isnt possible in reallife because you cannot disconnect a person from their body sensitivity without actually cutting the nerves.

So VR is all you'll ever get. Sorry.

I wouldn't be surprised if some people in this thread live to see Holdeck technology emerge.

Matrix tech is far future and may be impossible; although there are a lot of ideas being kicked around, I'd hazard Descartes knew as much about what consciousness is as anyone now living: "electrical signals interpreted by your brain" may be only one small part of the picture.

• ElalandElaland Member UncommonPosts: 40
    No one mentioned my old favorite so I'll say the original Guild Wars.  I would love to walk around the Jade Sea in VR, and how cool would the Domain of Anguish areas be?  Imagine Ravenheart Gloom where everything is completely dark by default - talk about immersion!

The games motion mechanics are simple (no jumping, no flying, no mounts), and graphics were certainly less resolution than today's technology.  The game was group based instances outside of cities so I'd think that would make it less complicated to develop it as a fit into VR technology.

I keep hoping someone will do exactly what the OP asked about - create a VR game based on one that was/is already loved; it's one way our beloved genre could get kick started again. 

I wouldn't be surprised if some people in this thread live to see Holdeck technology emerge.

Matrix tech is far future and may be impossible; although there are a lot of ideas being kicked around, I'd hazard Descartes knew as much about what consciousness is as anyone now living: "electrical signals interpreted by your brain" may be only one small part of the picture.
    Likewise a holodeck might be impossible.

Its after all a tightly confined area in which, once activated, a complete world is simulated and you can, for example, run for miles into one direction, assuming the simulation has the necessary size.

• KyarraKyarra Member UncommonPosts: 789
    I love VR, I had a psvr, Oculus Rift and now the Oculus Quest, no wires! Everyone needs to try Vader Immortal, Beat Saber in VR, it is tons of fun. But back on topic, I really miss SWG (maybe it is nostalgia because I can't get into SWG now, but it would be fun in VR, watch out for the giant Rancor! Ahhh!
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    Just wait until you all find out that, while you are conquering a dungeon in VR, in the real world you're robbing a bank for some hacker and getting shot. 

You'll be like "The hacker made me do it" and the judge will be like "Yeah right, buddy, 20 years!" 

Once upon a time....

Just wait until you all find out that, while you are conquering a dungeon in VR, in the real world you're robbing a bank for some hacker and getting shot. 

You'll be like "The hacker made me do it" and the judge will be like "Yeah right, buddy, 20 years!" 

Amaranthar

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    Thane said:
    you guys DO understand that whatever game you want to be VR, won't have propper movement anymore, right? you will teleport around in it, at best.

so the only game i can see comming along with that problem, is most likely dungeon master (and it's clones), which never had fluid movement anyway
    The Echo series (lone echo, echo combat, echo arena) are positively brilliant for zero gravity movement.

Vehicle driving also turns out well in VR.

The Climb (unsurprisingly a climbing game) turned out well as real.  Even if there is some silliness like not using legs.

-----

I think a Space Engineers a like could be really good in VR.

Since walking in OrbusVR pretty much sucked  (Totally agree that most MMOs would be bad.  Auto assault could be funny).  But there are control schemes that work well even in current VR.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."