Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trouble building my computer

2»

Comments

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    im gonn atry to fix it while i'm at work. 

My IT buddies were slammed and couldn't help. So i'll try it later this afternoon and let you know how it goes. 
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
    edited September 2019
    so i started working on it. 

Put the RAM in slots 1 and 3. 

Then i unplugged everything from the power supply and then took PSU out of comp and just plugged it into the outlet and it didn't turn on. So weird. Then i tried just leaving the connection to the motherboard. Weird thing is, it worked initially, oh well, i may have to take it to a computer repair place, i'm too unintelligent to work it through. 

It initially turned on and then shut off. So weird. Any thoughts. 
  • TsumoTsumo Member UncommonPosts: 49
    Had a similar problem on my first build along time ago, except for me it didn't turn on at all. Went through all the components which were all fine in the end. The thing was, I forgot to put in the  damn spacers under the motherboard to keep it raised up from the case itself. It ended up causing a short, luckily I didn't fry anything on the board. Might be help to you.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Crazy, my new build was not turning on via the power button, I reset the bios, it fixed it for a short time, then it started doing it again. Was going to go through the list, test PSU, test MB. Figured out it was just a loose jumper wire on the power header on MB I must have bumped it during a cleaning. when I went to check it it popped off, and yep that was the problem.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722
    Did you do the paperclip thing with the powersupply, when plugging it into the wallsocket?

If you are willing to put more time into it, then it would be best to completely take it apart. Rebuild it on a cardboard box with just the motherboard, CPU, CPU cooler, 1 ram stick, videocard and the power supply. You can put the case next to it to connect the power button wire. 

You make sure all the cables, ram and the videocard are correctly inserted. 

If the fans turn on, but turns off again, then the powersupply at least supplies power. Someone mentioned troubleshooting LEDs on the motherboard. Use your phone to film the LED's while you turn it on to see which one is lit before it shuts off. Hopefully they are colored differently. You can look up what it was trying to communicate with before shutting down. That would be the likely culprit that turns it off.

Now if it does post you can start adding stuff until it either stops working again or until you have added everything. 

Sometimes simply not inserting something correctly can make a small problem seem a lot larger.

Sidenote: the MSI Gaming Edge is one of the worst x570 boards there is though. MSI couldn't be bothered this round to try and make decent boards. A better choice would be the Asus Tuf Wifi, if you need wifi on the board. The non wifi board would be Gigabyte Elite. Don't think the Elite wifi is out yet. The Asus Prime x570-P also performs very well. 
  • bonzoso21bonzoso21 Member UncommonPosts: 380
    so i started working on it. 

Put the RAM in slots 1 and 3. 

Then i unplugged everything from the power supply and then took PSU out of comp and just plugged it into the outlet and it didn't turn on. So weird. Then i tried just leaving the connection to the motherboard. Weird thing is, it worked initially, oh well, i may have to take it to a computer repair place, i'm too unintelligent to work it through. 

It initially turned on and then shut off. So weird. Any thoughts. 
    Did you short out the two pins on the ATX connector (big one with 20 or 24 pins that powers the motherboard) like I mentioned on a previous post? The PSU fan won't spin up just because it's plugged in and the switch is flipped...it needs to believe you pressed the power button on your case. 

Google "ATX pinout" and take a look at the picture...stick each end of a paperclip into the PS-ON pin (4th pin from the lower right, or the green wire if your wires are colored) and one of the common-ground pins adjacent to it (3rd or 5th from the lower right, or black wires if they are colored). THEN flip the PSU switch. No fan spin = dead PSU.

Yeah, i got the psu to work with a paperclip then i took out battery on mb and put it back in to reset coms, plugged shitnm in and didnt work, i think it is shorting somewhere
  • boris20boris20 Member RarePosts: 404
    If it ran for a bit, or atleast tried to power up then quit you are looking at a few possible causes

- CPU over heated and fried due to either no thermal paste or heatsink not functioning
    - Short somewhere
    - (this sounds really dumb) check that the power switch on the PSU is turned on, not off, it could have been bumped and turned to off postition
    - Mobo fried

No sound is not all that uncommon, sometime you need to put in the disk that came with your mobo, to install drivers to get some features to work. 

The RAM in the wrong slots shouldnt have affected anything, it would either work just fine, or not register one of the sticks. 

Double check and make sure the plug the connects the mobo to the computers "on" button is properly seated and still where it needs to be. 
    I hope i didnt fry the motherboard, how does that happen?
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited September 2019
    Too much heat usually which can be caused by a number of things; bad psu, overclocking, bad heatsinks/fans on the board, etc. 

A static charge can sometimes cause it too. Which could be caused by anything from too much static on your hands to a proper power surge caused by a lightning strike nearby (plug adaptors/extensions with surge protection are always a good idea, worth the cost and basically last forever).

It's probably not that. Most mobos have some serious protection against that kind of thing now and yours is very current. Plus, you haven't been overclocking or anything which is the most common cause. But, still an unlikely possibility.

It's also possible that one of your components was bad before you even got it, it happens sometimes.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • bonzoso21bonzoso21 Member UncommonPosts: 380
    edited September 2019
    Mentioned by a few people earlier in the thread, if you screwed the motherboard down directly into the metal case chassis without having the little threaded standoffs installed first. There should have been 9 little hex standoffs with threaded holes in the middle that came with your case...many mid/high end cases have them pre-installed, but some case manufacturers just throw them in the bag with all the included screws and it's up to the builder to attach the standoffs.

With these installed correctly, your motherboard floats about 1/4 inch off of the metal case. The back of your board is covered in solder points...if they're all in direct contact with the metal interior of your case, everything will be shorted out when power is applied and your board will mostly likely become a paperweight.
    Post edited by bonzoso21 on
    Ridelynn
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Also possible that it was just bad from the factory. Do make sure the stand offs are installed properly and there’s nothing stuck underneath (stray screw or something).

just on a whim, will it turn on with just the CPU and one stick of RAM (no Hard drives, no video card, nothing else). I know you won’t. Be able to see anything, but it eliminates the video card as your short.

If that doesn’t work pull the CPU out and make sure none of the pins on the ZIF socket got bent - they are very very easy to misalign and it can totally screw things up
    I capitulated, took it to a local comp store, they said MB wasnt working. 

Hopefully, i get it refunded, ordered another one to arrive in 2 days.
    boris20Ozmodan
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    I capitulated, took it to a local comp store, they said MB wasnt working. 

Hopefully, i get it refunded, ordered another one to arrive in 2 days.
    Hey, at least now you know the drill.   Good luck with the replacement.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.