Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The rebirth of Archeage

VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
Honestly, everything is looking so good right now for AAU, from the GFX update, to the revenue model, to the attitude of the publisher.

It is possible for this game to find it's true audience after all this time?

Well, not sure. But, all I know is that I am in.
mgilbrtsnmcrippinsalkarionlog

Comments

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,056
    Fool me once....
    KyleranHatefullAshluraalkarionlog
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Viper482 said:
    Fool me once....
    Different company in charge, different revenue model and, tbh, a very different game from when i played before. I am willing to give it a chance.
    alkarionlog
    Vesavius said:
    Viper482 said:
    Fool me once....
    Different company in charge, different revenue model and, tbh, a very different game from when i played before. I am willing to give it a chance.

I paid for it already, like $150. Bait and switched me. Tell me why I should be charged again for the same game...
    [Deleted User]KilrainHatefullalkarionlog
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547
    edited September 2019
    Isn't AAU a PVP game? or is it care bear friendly?  

Also, is AAU on steam?

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451
    edited September 2019
    It will be available on steam.

There are instanced PvE content. Some zones that are always in peace and some that have a peace/war cycle. As well as some zones that are always contested. At its core it is a PvPvE game.
    Tokken
  • ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 758
    Tokken said:
    Isn't AAU a PVP game? or is it care bear friendly?  

Also, is AAU on steam?
    Unless the fundimental design of the game has changed, each continent is massive and as long as you stay on your own you can completely avoid PvP if you want. I played the game for a year, spending my time farming, trading and only getting involved in a couple of minor one on one skirmishes in that time that I myself initiated.
    BruceYeeTokken
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I forget quickly,what is the revenue model,i find it hard to believe there is a good one out there...anymore.
    NorseGod

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Viper482 said:
    Vesavius said:
    Viper482 said:
    Fool me once....

I paid for it already, like $150. Bait and switched me. Tell me why I should be charged again for the same game...
    Yeah that is not right,all businesses should honor old contracts.If some business took over a studio,they would incur old debts,however there is likely many ways around that as well now,like changing the name and making claims of not being the same game when in reality it is 99% the same.
    There are a lot of sketchy business operations going on,loads of good lawyers able to bend the laws and rules but of course never in your favor.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Wizardry said:
    Viper482 said:
    Vesavius said:
    Viper482 said:
    Fool me once....

Yeah that is not right,all businesses should honor old contracts.If some business took over a studio,they would incur old debts,however there is likely many ways around that as well now,like changing the name and making claims of not being the same game when in reality it is 99% the same.
    There are a lot of sketchy business operations going on,loads of good lawyers able to bend the laws and rules but of course never in your favor.

The game that he paid for still exists, is fully supported, and he is free to play it. The contract is being upheld. The set up is fully transparent and open. There is nothing shadeygoing on, unless you are the type to invent windmills to tilt at.

TBH, he could not buy a patron for a couple or months, more or less, because he won't need to in AAU, and cover the entry cost.

alkarionlog
    Wizardry said:
    I forget quickly,what is the revenue model,i find it hard to believe there is a good one out there...anymore.
    Buy to play, cosmetic shop, no patron.
    alkarionlog
    DMKano said:
    Buyer beware - one word Gamigo.

Do research on how they monetize all of their games.

yep, I am aware of them, but IDC really. All I care about is the revenue model for this game and the prospect of having at least a couple of months of fun for just over £20. If it goes tits up after that, so be it, nothing lost. If it carries on being as well serviced and monetised as AAU will be after that, fantastic.. I have a new long term home.

alkarionlog
    DMKano said:

Do research on what they have done to companies they acquired - aeria games, trion and wild tangent (hint - gutted them).

Gamigo is all about $$$ - why aren't they letting $150 players in for free if they care so much?

Oh because they are just looking for more suckers whoese wallets they want to drain.

Look for the cash shop to get more and more P2W post launch - dont be surprised.

See....we don't always disagree!
    TokkenHatefull
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited September 2019
    Vesavius said:
    Viper482 said:
    Fool me once....
    Don't kid yourself, same company, XLGames is in charge, and it won't be nearly as different as you think.

Gamers make it just too easy for companies to fleece them over and over.

>:) 
    Hatefullalkarionlog

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited September 2019
    Setting up a new server
    Viper482 said:
    DMKano said:

Do research on what they have done to companies they acquired - aeria games, trion and wild tangent (hint - gutted them).

Gamigo is all about $$$ - why aren't they letting $150 players in for free if they care so much?

Oh because they are just looking for more suckers whoese wallets they want to drain.

Look for the cash shop to get more and more P2W post launch - dont be surprised.

Not giving the new version to founders of the original is hardly a reason to say that this as a game won't be worth playing.

The new revenue model for AAU looks extremely fair to my eyes. I will let grudges towards AA as a brand go and judge them on that.
    alkarionlog
    edited September 2019
    Vesavius said:
    Setting up a new server
    Viper482 said:
    DMKano said:

yep, we sure don't. In fact, from what i remember, we usually don't, We just have very different attitudes towards the hobby.

Not giving the new version to founders of the original is hardly a reason to say that this as a game won't be worth playing.

The new revenue model for AAU looks extremely fair to my eyes. I will let grudges towards AA as a brand go and judge them on that.

I was replying to DMKano, but I see you edit your post.
    Viper482 said:

I was replying to DMKano ;)

Aye, I had seen and had already edited :)

alkarionlog
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    They have a real chance. Lets just hope they dont screw it up this time. 
    Vesaviusalkarionlog
    edited September 2019
    It seems like DM is just chasing AAU threads around the site forums in order to trash everything about this rerelease, rather than objectively recognisingwhat they are doing well at this point.

This is sad for a couple of reasons.

It shows devs that good behaviour on their part won't be recognised or rewarded, because people will just carry on trashing them whatever

It also just creates, or sustains,  a forum culture of entrenched inflexible emotionally driven negativity where people cannot just be excited and enjoy what they are seeing.

I mean, this is even without outright calling people that want to give the new model a go 'stupid' and whatever.

Surely we can do better?
    mcrippinsalkarionlog
    Kyleran said:
    Vesavius said:
    Viper482 said:
    Fool me once....
    Don't kid yourself, same company, XLGames is in charge, and it won't be nearly as different as you think.

It will be as different as what I am seeing, not what I think.

If that changes in a couple of months, then what it is now will be worth the entry fee of just over £20.

I honestly do not consider 20 odd quid for that amount, at least, of gameplay, as being 'fleeced'.
    alkarionlog
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Vesavius said:
    Kyleran said:
    Vesavius said:
    Viper482 said:
    Fool me once....

It will be as different as what I am seeing, not what I think.

If that changes in a couple of months, then what it is now will be worth the entry fee of just over £20.

I honestly do not consider 20 odd quid for that amount, at least, of gameplay, as being 'fleeced'.
    I've said the same thing before. Some people value their gaming $$$'s waaaay too high. If I got 20 hours out if it, the cost of gameplay per hour is really low. More likely I'll get at least 100 and in terms of entertainment value that's money very well spent.
    Sovrathalkarionlog
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451
    I view it similarly.

The game is costing me $25. Archeage as a game (not counting the server issues and garbage payment model it had) is one of the best mmos on the market currently, more or less a better version of BDO (not counting the graphics).

If AA was a mediocre game I would say hell no without question. But it is a solid AAA game that was screwed over by greed on the part of the devs and publisher.

So if they end up screwing us all over in 1-2 months. I lose less then an hour of my salary for that time spent.
    Tokkenalkarionlog
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    The rebuying of Archeage
    alkarionlog

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• PurplePepePurplePepe Member UncommonPosts: 122
    $26 is worth the gamble really. Gamigo has some major hurdles to overcome.

Gamigo's current choice of server provider could very well be their undoing. It's a non-issue if they can get them running perfectly by the 30th but that's a big if. Current servers have had constant log-in failures and you still can't log in to their main forums.

[Deleted User]
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited September 2019
    Xatsh said:
    I view it similarly.

The game is costing me $25. Archeage as a game (not counting the server issues and garbage payment model it had) is one of the best mmos on the market currently, more or less a better version of BDO (not counting the graphics).

If AA was a mediocre game I would say hell no without question. But it is a solid AAA game that was screwed over by greed on the part of the devs and publisher.

So if they end up screwing us all over in 1-2 months. I lose less then an hour of my salary for that time spent.
    And with these sorts of attitudes its means we'll never have nice things.....

Gamers will accept being tromped on because its "only $25."

The time they waste is so much more valuable.... well I guess not to some.

Back under the bridge....

Phryalkarionlog

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Viper482alkarionlog