Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Celebrate 10 Years of Free to Play

NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
- 10th Anniversary of Free to Play Launch Bundle (buy in store)
- Veteran Status III Week (create a new character starting at lvl 10)  *starts the 13th goes til the 18th.
- Free Adventure Pack (coupon code to The Path of Inspiration pack (lvl 18 pack))  *adventure pack code will come out on the 19th

https://www.ddo.com/en/anniversary

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited September 2019
    Celebrate F2P by purchasing something in the cash shop? No irony there, eh?

Speaking of which, there is a crap ton of expensive packs to purchase in their store.

A lot like POE, where I never paid so much so quickly unlike most any sub game.

Just added it up, $175 spent in the first 6 months....for extra inventory space, one outfit and a couple special effects.

Oh yeah, let's all celebrate the coming of F2P.

>:)  

https://store.standingstonegames.com/store?Action=list&Locale=en_US&SiteID=ssg&ThemeID=4823088000&categoryID=58516100

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    edited September 2019
    1 out of the 3 costs money, after all it is a business.  And according to those that have broke down what you get vs how much they'd cost separate, it's a good deal.  

To put your expensive store comment in the proper reference,  you linked the web store which is generally more expensive than the in game store and doesn't seem to ever have sale's and yes there are pricey packs in the in game store but, you should note that there are smaller less expensive packs also.

And I'd have to say that looking at what you bought, none of it was required so it was your choice to buy those 3 items.
    alkarionlog

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    I believe it's two-fold. On one side it really was a milestone not just for DDO but in a sense for the whole genre (for the better or worse, that's up to debate) and it's a nice number for celebration. And the rewards are nice, the one week Vet, and the free Adventure Pack.

However, Kyleran's also right with the irony factor...
    "For this occasion we announce the 10th Anniversary of Free to Play Launch Bundle, with shared bank etc., special one-time chance, just once per account,
    oh, yeah for $40, we forgot to mention that? Silly us, yeah, so it's for $40."

(Plus the free AP is a 10 years old one. But maybe it will start a new trend and maybe at LotRO's 10th f2p anniversary next year they will give away, I don't know, Forochel :D )
    Kyleran
    edited September 2019
    What I've noticed; not only with gamers, but society in general, is this thing with not expecting to get free stuff, but when they do get free stuff ..... they complain.  I mean really?  Did you expect to get anything?  NO?  Then why complain about it?  Do you complain when the free weekly store item isn't something you want or need?

Yes the bundle costs money, and if it was the ONLY thing they did for the anniversary (like AoC did the one year with a P2P pack), then I think the outrage would be more justified.  As it is price-wise it seems a good deal if you're into that sort of thing.

But it's not the only thing.  Make a lvl 10 for a week.  Well I don't care about that one myself, but for those that want to save time leveling sure why not.

And a free Adventure pack.  OK it's old, so what.  Blizzard gives out old expansions too, (well not give of course since you have to buy the latest so let's just say at a deeply discounted cost).  A lot of people might have it, but not everyone so again, it's a nice gesture.

You got something free people, the polite thing to do is to take it, nod smile, say thanks if you want to.
    alkarionlog

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Just being a business is not quite the same as being a DECEPTIVE business.
    F2P is it's truest form would mean you can play the game AS INTENDED without spending a dime in the cash shop.
    Such a cash shop that might exist would sell things like game figurines or peripherals you can cherish outside of the game but NEVER....EVER should a cash shop influence the IN GAME world.

Once you operate cash shop within the game world,it is no longer f2p that would be FALSE advertising,that would be a "micro transaction" game and not f2p.

I used to laugh at Kings Isle when it claimed W101 was f2p,one of the worst deceptive game studios i have ever seen.Free to enter a lobby map,the commons is not the same thing as free to play.

100% of a game needs to be FULLY accessible if you are advertising your game as free to play otherwise,quit the false advertising.
    alkarionlog

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Psst... it ain't free. Here's the biggest clue:

"10th Anniversary of Free to Play Launch Bundle (buy in store)"

:smile:
    Kyleran
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    I still recall playing this in beta and being quite pleasantly surprised by the puzzles and thinking it was a good game. I still think it has managed albeit clumsily in some part done the basic rules of Dungeons and Dragons. Of course don't quote me on that as I only have a vague idea on what they are. The strict character stat and the calculation was what I am referring to.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    kitarad said:
    I still recall playing this in beta and being quite pleasantly surprised by the puzzles and thinking it was a good game. I still think it has managed albeit clumsily in some part done the basic rules of Dungeons and Dragons. Of course don't quote me on that as I only have a vague idea on what they are. The strict character stat and the calculation was what I am referring to.
    thing is the rules are D&D 3.5 and some modification, like the mana pool, but the basic rules yes, problem is it started to get in a way, since they can't make better stories and they are stuck on the MMO grind
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
    Nebless said:
    What I've noticed; not only with gamers, but society in general, is this thing with not expecting to get free stuff, but when they do get free stuff ..... they complain.  I mean really?
    Actually I've said the rewards are nice... and regardless of that I can understand the other camp's opinion as well, since (like it or not) the irony is there.
    AoC was a good example, they had the same fiasco? miscommunication? with Vanaheim.

Iselin, store ain't a clue at all, that's the standard procedure in most games. When the free AP will arrive at the third week, you will get that through the store too. I guess some players just weren't expecting a price tag on the bundle - especially not 4k.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    It's been a couple years, but last time I tried the f2p in this I kept running into dead ends on my quests where it would not let me enter the dungeon as a f2p.
    Po_gg said:
    Nebless said:
    What I've noticed; not only with gamers, but society in general, is this thing with not expecting to get free stuff, but when they do get free stuff ..... they complain.  I mean really?
    Actually I've said the rewards are nice... 
    Wasn't directed at you, just a general comment stemming from the complaints over on the official & Steam forums on this subject.

It's been a couple years, but last time I tried the f2p in this I kept running into dead ends on my quests where it would not let me enter the dungeon as a f2p.
    This is one of those things where you need to really use the mini-map and large map to find the yellow chalice (cup) symbols marking the F2p dungeons that you can go into.

Making use of a free dungeon guide like this one:

https://ddowiki.com/page/Category:Free_to_Play_quests

is good too.

All in all there's 74 free level 1 to 10 dungeons and another 25 free level 11 to 20 dungeons, plus the extra 5 you can get via the code they'll put out next week.

Nebless said:

You got something free people, the polite thing to do is to take it, nod smile, say thanks if you want to.
    So what you are saying is we all should be like this guy here....

Yeah, no thanks.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Nebless said:

That's a bit too much, they aren't bully you into buying the packs :)

If you really want to illustrate it with a video, the aforementioned Vanaheim in AoC would be a more fitting pick: https://youtu.be/TU8g3s76oa4
    edited September 2019
    Po_gg said:
    Kyleran said:
    Nebless said:

That's a bit too much, they aren't bully you into buying the packs :)

If you really want to illustrate it with a video, the aforementioned Vanaheim in AoC would be a more fitting pick: https://youtu.be/TU8g3s76oa4
    I rarely watch long linked videos but that one was flipping great, thanks for sharing.

Those living under the bridge give it 5 stars