Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wow Classic - 4.5 million players stated

Comments

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    blamo2000 said:
    I really wish you guys were far more correct about falling numbers.  There are way too many players.  I tried to do the blasted land quests today where you turn in all the animal parts for those buff things (like the roids, and the candy corn icon thing).  The basalik brains almost broke me.  I was filled with so much hate for other players also looking for basalik brains I was almost ready to swear allegiance to a any terrorist organization that would swear me vengeance on every player who tagged a basalik on my quest for their brains.  

Every layer was overflowing with players searching for basalik brains.  I couldn't get away from them.  

I now truly wish you guys are correct but your wish is just going to happen later than expected.  I hope 90% of people playing just stop.  And I'm on a lower pop server.  I feel really bad for most of the people since most servers show full when I try and log in, but mine is always medium.  

You naysayers and good game haters have a new cheerleader in me.  I truly hope everyone enjoying themselves in Classic stops playing and goes back to all the modern shitty MMO non-rpgs you guys cherish and love.  There is just too many people in a game with limited spawns that have low drop chances.  

And your constant claims of, "you think you do, but you don't," is actually correct.  Except you were referring the game and gameplay.  I thought I wanted classic to be popular, but I don't.  At least not this popular.  Some of these later quests are worse than the starting zones when it first released.  In every zone I am fighting mobs of dickhead players trying to do the same quests I am, taking all my mobs, trying to group and talk and be social.  I just want my own zones when I am questing.  Other people are only useful for dungeons and raids and pvp.  
    The blood elf camp is BL is also for a raid buff. There will be people there farming it for the next year.
    blamo2000
  • MachkeznhoMachkeznho Member UncommonPosts: 424
    edited September 2019
    Tells you everything you need to know about how we feel about Activisions influence on World Of Warcraft, No one wants that artificial time gated fluff and just because it has "more options" and more "player choice" doesn't mean its a good game.
  • AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    blamo2000 said:
      I just want my own zones when I am questing.  Other people are only useful for dungeons and raids and pvp.  

Isn't that what retail is for?

Player interactions, whether good or bad, is what is missing from modern MMORPG's. Can't tag mobs or do quests? Make a group or join a guild and have them help. If you don't want to play with others in the open world, then you're playing the wrong version of the game.
    [Deleted User]Kyleran
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    Viper482 said:
    Kyleran said:
    Viper482 said:
    Clearly a failure of epic proportions....we know not what we really want, of course (nostalgia blah blah blah blah). rofl.

I gave up on my original server choice because it is still full during primetime every freaking day.  
    Nice strawman there.

>:) 

What are you talking about? I am literally mocking actual comments made on this very forum by people. Strawman is to change the premise of one's argument....to say I am straw-manning you would have to know exactly whose argument I am addressing, and show how I changed the premise of it. Try again.
    Made my point, you are arguing against points made in other threads in this forum, but almost no one has stated Classic has or will fail IN THIS THREAD, hence a strawman.

Even @DMKano stated Classic is a 100% success....but is arguing we can expect to see a fairly rapid falloff. 

I haven't seen any attempt from you to debate this point, or the OPs assertion that there are in fact 4.5M active players, but you have hit "WTF" without comment on almost any post which is contrary.

Your forum PVP skills could use a bit of honing. 

You speak of DMKano, as if he's someone of importance.
    He's someone whose opinion I respect,  no value judgements on his importance.

While I don't agree with all, I respect everyone opinion!

That being said, you don't need to have a..crystal ball to understand that a MMO will not have the same active players after the first 1..2 ..6 months.

I mean, beside WoW ( not Classic ), how many MMO's are there who actually gained players for .. years? None. WoW is the only MMO who grew up year after year after year ( until a point of course ). Now, based on the history of MMOs , chances for Classic to keep growing month after month or  year after year is close to none.

So, DMKano coming and saying to us all how Classic will lose players is not ..News, for me at least. The "problem" is that he keeps ..pushing and pushing his ..ideology to a point where is not necessary at all.

That's my..take on DMKano :)

BruceYeekertincheeba

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• agentsi1511agentsi1511 Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Jesus christ, this Op is a fucking moron. By his logic, and by the other websites that do this for retail, retail is sitting at like 20 million players. Fucking idiotic.
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    IceAge said:
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    Viper482 said:
    Kyleran said:
    Viper482 said:
    Clearly a failure of epic proportions....we know not what we really want, of course (nostalgia blah blah blah blah). rofl.

I gave up on my original server choice because it is still full during primetime every freaking day.  
    Nice strawman there.

What are you talking about? I am literally mocking actual comments made on this very forum by people. Strawman is to change the premise of one's argument....to say I am straw-manning you would have to know exactly whose argument I am addressing, and show how I changed the premise of it. Try again.
    Made my point, you are arguing against points made in other threads in this forum, but almost no one has stated Classic has or will fail IN THIS THREAD, hence a strawman.

Even @DMKano stated Classic is a 100% success....but is arguing we can expect to see a fairly rapid falloff. 

I haven't seen any attempt from you to debate this point, or the OPs assertion that there are in fact 4.5M active players, but you have hit "WTF" without comment on almost any post which is contrary.

That being said, you don't need to have a..crystal ball to understand that a MMO will not have the same active players after the first 1..2 ..6 months.

I mean, beside WoW ( not Classic ), how many MMO's are there who actually gained players for .. years? None. WoW is the only MMO who grew up year after year after year ( until a point of course ). Now, based on the history of MMOs , chances for Classic to keep growing month after month or  year after year is close to none.

So, DMKano coming and saying to us all how Classic will lose players is not ..News, for me at least. The "problem" is that he keeps ..pushing and pushing his ..ideology to a point where is not necessary at all.

Yeah, it is really weird how he wants to point it out over and over again. Duh, classic will lose players. I've noticed this since the Trion days. He's apparently given up on them, but bashing Blizzard has always been a part of his point of view (valid or not).
    IceAge
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    DMKano said:
    IceAge said:
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    Viper482 said:
    Kyleran said:
    Viper482 said:

Nice strawman there.

Eve online grew years post launch,  so WoW is not the only one to pull off growth several years post launch.

There are a few others as well.

I have no ideology to push at all - just stating things based on different data points.

What ideology is there to push here? 

I mean this is a video game forum.

Ok, I forgot about Eve, even so, he very slowly gained players ( more like dual, tripple boxes ).

But there are few others as well. Which?

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    IceAge said:
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    Viper482 said:
    Kyleran said:
    Viper482 said:

Nice strawman there.

Yeah, it is really weird how he wants to point it out over and over again. Duh, classic will lose players. I've noticed this since the Trion days. He's apparently given up on them, but bashing Blizzard has always been a part of his point of view (valid or not).
    Having the highest post count in every WoW classic thread repeating the same common knowledge things over and over. Almost every WoW classic thread since launch and before has turned into a thread about Kano with what he "predicts" will happen even if he's dead wrong or in this thread now he is the victim with people supposedly on a "crusade" against him in his own words. He is the most effective paid troll I've ever seen being able to completely shift a threads focus til it dies and some fools here are actually promoting a lack of discussion on a discussion board by supporting his behavior. Don't believe me? find me a current live game he paints in a positive light and I'll show you a financial opportunity just like how he mentioned Diablo Immortal in this thread. Right about now is when the paid promotions for Diablo Immortal will be starting, hrmm...how convenient.

He couldn't prevent WoW classic from being a success but at least he can prevent every single mmorpg.com thread about WoW classic from ever focusing on anything other than him. Well done Mr. Kano, well done. I expect no less from you when AA unchained comes out later this month cause Gamigo probably refused your services.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    I'm back baby from vacation and will make a Troll priest and may be a Human one too, depends on how much time I have. Mainly holy spec with some disc and 5 points in spirit tap to not go insane while grinding some quests out.
    [Deleted User]laserit
    Chamber of Chains
  • vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Kano has been like that for a while now. I remember once I enjoyed his posts, but now he's just doom and gloom and rejoicing about the supposed failure of games. I barely read his posts anymore, they are predictable and boring (and borderline trolling, too, wtf are you doing on the WoW forum if you don't like WoW).
    You can say the same about about he majority of people on this forum.  You only calling him out because you don't agree with him and that's the environment that we live in these days.
  • alyndalealyndale Member UncommonPosts: 936
    I agree Jean-Luc

-and truthfully who really cares one way or the other. Just move on-

All I want is the truth
    Just gimme some truth
    John Lennon

Kano has been like that for a while now. I remember once I enjoyed his posts, but now he's just doom and gloom and rejoicing about the supposed failure of games. I barely read his posts anymore, they are predictable and boring (and borderline trolling, too, wtf are you doing on the WoW forum if you don't like WoW).
    You can say the same about about he majority of people on this forum.  You only calling him out because you don't agree with him and that's the environment that we live in these days.
    There are people I often disagree with that I'm enjoying reading because they often surprise me. He's not. He's just posting the same stuff over and over again. Not to mention the bullshit "proofs" he's using like Twitch numbers.
    Why is it BS?  Any more BS than what the OP was posting?
    There are people I often disagree with that I'm enjoying reading because they often surprise me. He's not. He's just posting the same stuff over and over again. Not to mention the bullshit "proofs" he's using like Twitch numbers.
    Why is it BS?  Any more BS than what the OP was posting?
    Same kind. That's why I previously said that we have two clowns in the thread now.
    2 clowns is an understatement. :)
    [Deleted User]
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    I could give a crap how many people are playing.

I'm having a great time and so far the community on my server has been totally awesome.

[Deleted User]ManWithNoTanIceAge

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• OGDeathRowOGDeathRow Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Well, in all fairness his "proofs" aka twitch numbers are in fact proof of the decline of peoples interest in the game. Does it talk about players, no, but popularity, yes. Generally you can use twitch numbers to prove a games hype. Its not evidence of playerbase, but overall interest. This thread however is just complete BS.

Now, I will agree its obvious that interest level drops for ANY game after a few weeks, we dont need twitch numbers to prove it, and id say most readers here know this as well. But you have the same people coming here posting nonsense like this thread trying to make WoW classic seem like the greatest thing in 15 years. And thats great, good for them, im enjoying so many games right now too, i couldnt be happier. But when im told constantly that im wrong (what I consider a good game) cause classic is what a real mmo is suppose to be. Like Kano, I will try and state otherwise.

All I hear is the great community, how many of you actually go on classic forums? Theres just as much trash talk about the community there as most games. I just read 1 about a rogue who got mad cause he was kicked from the group because he wouldnt let his party roll on a locked chest. Then another 1 about being kicked cause he wasnt a mage, and another about not being able to raid cause hes a rogue and with little AoE, another about how they need to do more about the zone chats and how toxic they are and that they should be moderated.......and goes on and on. So maybe even the community isnt the "best" as proclaimed by most fans? I see smack talk about eso toxic community, I can count the amount of toxic moments on 1 hand i exp, im level 50 cp 368 

People are enjoying it, yes, will it become niche, most likely, so maybe when people stop hyping the classic train to unrealastic goals, posts like kanos wont be posted.
  • PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    edited September 2019
    I think the important take away here is that some people enjoy challenging content that strongly encourages group play and cooperation.  There is a financial case to be made to develop new content and games with that in mind.  Population decline or not, the game in its 'classic' variation is doing well and there's a demand for it.

And bringing up Twitch viewership seems like a pretty odd and erroneous thing to do to compare population numbers.  Twitch isn't WoW.  All Twitch does is show interest from VIEWERS in watching STREAMERS.  Most people that watch Twitch watch it for interest in the game to see it being played (hence why e-sports is so popular) and to see the personalities of the people streaming.  WoW Classic has a lot of grind to it.  I don't think that would be particularly that interesting.  On top of that many of the WoW streamers (one I can think of in particular) is pretty repulsive, so there's that too.

You'll know that WoW Classic population is in a big decline with some obvious examples.  Twitch numbers isn't it.
    ManWithNoTan
  • mmoloummolou Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Well, in all fairness his "proofs" aka twitch numbers are in fact proof of the decline of peoples interest in the game.
    Actually, it is nothing more than proof that peoples interest in watching streamers play WoW, not interest in the game itself, has declined.
    PottedPlant22ManWithNoTanIceAge
    It is a funny world we live in.
    We had Empires run by Emperors, we had Kingdoms run by Kings, now we have Countries...
  • Gyva02Gyva02 Member RarePosts: 499
    DMKano said:
    IceAge said:
    DMKano said:
    Vrika said:
    DMKano said:
    Viper482 said:

Some servers will remain very popular while others will not. 

5 EU servers are showing declining population:

meanwhile US realms while declining are more populated than EU realms:

You have to remember that players initially play same game far more hours/day than they'd play long term. Assuming that those numbers are about players connecting to the server, then NA must have gained active players to keep the population stable as that initial rush passes.

I do believe the population will drop, but honestly I'm at the moment surprised it's not dropping faster.

It is dropping fast though - after the 1st month, how many stay subbed?

Also WoW classic has a major issue with lacking content at end game - so as more players level up - more will leave as they hit endgame.

So the rate of players leaving is likely to increase.
    Is dropping fast? 3 servers on EU going from high to medium and medium to low = dropping fast? Is your math that bad?

Anyway , reason why in the first week we saw higher que's is because every person and their mother, pushed their normal play time higher then usual and/or took days off from work, etc. to play Classic. 

Sure, numbers will go down , in-time ( read that well ), but saying it is dropping fast as we speak and giving us twitch numbers as proof ( lol ) , makes you no better then the one giving us 4.5 mil active subs based on chars created. At least that guy with 4.5 mil takes info from in-game and is a bit more trustful then you and your ..twitch numbers ( lol again ).

You read again - I am not claiming that twitch numbers show player numbers.

I clearly said that WoW is rapidly losing popularity on twitch and that usually reflects waning interest in game.

Also I said that WoW classic is not growing anymore as they stopped adding half a dozen servers every week.

Again please read what I am saying carefully before coming up with this bullshit conclusion where I am equating twitch views with subscription numbers - I have never said this- please go read again.

The whole twisting of what I am actually saying into something I never claimed is laughable. 

Here so that there is no mistaking what I have actually said - made it easy for you - highlighted:

Ok clearly I am talking about twitch popularity, hello?
    I watched twitch every night for 2 weeks leading up to launch. Once the game launched I was too busy playing the game to be watching the streams anymore. This could account for a lot of the down trending numbers you're showing. 
    mmolou said:
    Well, in all fairness his "proofs" aka twitch numbers are in fact proof of the decline of peoples interest in the game.
    Actually, it is nothing more than proof that peoples interest in watching streamers play WoW, not interest in the game itself, has declined.
    You are right, it does show interest in watching, but that adds to overall popularity, even tho it wasnt brought up in this thread, but when it first launched, there was tons of people talking about how great WoW classic is, and would refference twitch numbers since it was being viewed more then Fortnight. We had people making jokes that they were only that high cause people couldnt get into the game. 

So when it was a +in the classic column for being good, it is accepted. But when used against it, all of a sudden its garbage? Im not saying all forum goers were doing this, but enough were flaunting those twitch numbers as "proof", I feel what Kano is doing isnt that bad, like salt in the wound of those who did run there mouths about views when they favored wow.

https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/483341/wow-classic-hits-over-1-1-million-viewers-on-twitch-mmorpg-com/p1

Look at the first response. It seemed twitch numbers mattered then to a few...
  • DafAtRandomDafAtRandom Member UncommonPosts: 124
    Torval said:
    gervaise1 said:
    Torval said:
    DMKano said:
    IceAge said:
    DMKano said:
    Vrika said:
    DMKano said:
    Viper482 said:

Some servers will remain very popular while others will not. 

5 EU servers are showing declining population:

meanwhile US realms while declining are more populated than EU realms:

You have to remember that players initially play same game far more hours/day than they'd play long term. Assuming that those numbers are about players connecting to the server, then NA must have gained active players to keep the population stable as that initial rush passes.

I do believe the population will drop, but honestly I'm at the moment surprised it's not dropping faster.

It is dropping fast though - after the 1st month, how many stay subbed?

Also WoW classic has a major issue with lacking content at end game - so as more players level up - more will leave as they hit endgame.

So the rate of players leaving is likely to increase.
    Is dropping fast? 3 servers on EU going from high to medium and medium to low = dropping fast? Is your math that bad?

Anyway , reason why in the first week we saw higher que's is because every person and their mother, pushed their normal play time higher then usual and/or took days off from work, etc. to play Classic. 

Sure, numbers will go down , in-time ( read that well ), but saying it is dropping fast as we speak and giving us twitch numbers as proof ( lol ) , makes you no better then the one giving us 4.5 mil active subs based on chars created. At least that guy with 4.5 mil takes info from in-game and is a bit more trustful then you and your ..twitch numbers ( lol again ).

You read again - I am not claiming that twitch numbers show player numbers.

I clearly said that WoW is rapidly losing popularity on twitch and that usually reflects waning interest in game.

Also I said that WoW classic is not growing anymore as they stopped adding half a dozen servers every week.

Again please read what I am saying carefully before coming up with this bullshit conclusion where I am equating twitch views with subscription numbers - I have never said this- please go read again.

The whole twisting of what I am actually saying into something I never claimed is laughable. 

Here so that there is no mistaking what I have actually said - made it easy for you - highlighted:

Ok clearly I am talking about twitch popularity, hello?
    It seems reasonable that overall interest follows the trend on Twitch.

Questions I want answers to - How will Blizzard direct the entire WoW franchise going forward? What will the perceived demographic cross section look like? What aspects of the industry could this impact and what would those look like?

How many players remain and what their make up looks like will likely determine how Blizzard proceeds and what sort of impact, if any, there is on the rest of the MMO/GaaS corner of the industry. Short term I can see a lot of others trying to bandwagon on this. Long term, less clear.
    Good questions.

Blizzard will - we can be sure - be looking at the total number of subscribers.

It seems reasonable to assume that vanilla has some new players and that some previous players have resubbed.  Its also reasonable to assume that people on "current" WoW are now playing on vanilla. (There was even a suggestion in this thread that current's numbers are very low).

Blizzard will want answers to e.g. the population of vanilla long term; whether people who have moved from current to vanilla will return to current or - maybe - after a fling on vanilla leave and also the longer term impact on current WoW. Other games that have taken this path of relaunching an old version have seen subsequent declines on both their "current" and their "relaunched" versions.

---------

@Iselin above suggested that WoW might be the exception to the "population declines"after launch. However Blizzard pretty much told us that WoW wasn't an exception though: 100M accounts in 10 years means that:
    a) it gained - on average - 10M accounts a year. Exceptional!
    b) it lost - on average - 10M accounts a year. So no different from other mmos. 

This doesn't tell us whether people started leaving after 1 month or 2 months or - whatever - but it does tell us that WoW lost population. 

The drop was masked by new sales though. Partly by WoW launching in new regions - Europe 6 months after US; China 6 months later and also - as @Iselin alluded to - attaining "mass popularity". So this time around unless WoW keeps attracting new players we should expect it to decline. Which is what Blizzard expect.
    Good observations.

Only Blizzard knows if Live numbers have dropped. The poster throwing that out was just making stuff up out of the blue. I seriously doubt there is an exodus from Live to Classic. More likely is that people playing on Live probably rolled a character (or 'toons' to the wow players lol) and maybe hop on it between raids. Hardcore raiders might raid both though.

The end of winter or beginning of spring 2020 should tell a lot more. I think they will spin up a full progression server at some point after experimenting with Classic. Just based on casual observation I'd say there are as many people interested in BC and WotLK as Classic so Blizz could retool and milk this for quite some time if they're smart about it.

If it impacts the industry at all it will make them look at rebooting old franchises. Many others have given half-hearted attempts so far, but none have done such a meticulous job at recreating vanilla rulesets. EQ2 does some neat things, but LotRO, AoC, and a few others have been very modest at what they delivered (and that's being nice).
    EQ2 screwed everything up with the laziest itemization job ever recorded in recent memory.
  • mmoloummolou Member UncommonPosts: 256
    mmolou said:
    You are right, it does show interest in watching, but that adds to overall popularity, even tho it wasnt brought up in this thread, but when it first launched, there was tons of people talking about how great WoW classic is, and would refference twitch numbers since it was being viewed more then Fortnight. We had people making jokes that they were only that high cause people couldnt get into the game. 

So when it was a +in the classic column for being good, it is accepted. But when used against it, all of a sudden its garbage? Im not saying all forum goers were doing this, but enough were flaunting those twitch numbers as "proof", I feel what Kano is doing isnt that bad, like salt in the wound of those who did run there mouths about views when they favored wow.

https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/483341/wow-classic-hits-over-1-1-million-viewers-on-twitch-mmorpg-com/p1

Look at the first response. It seemed twitch numbers mattered then to a few...
    Glancing at that thread, all it really show's is that a couple of streamers garnered a huge amount of viewers while playing Classic.
    If anything, that show's how popular those streamers are/were, more than how popular Classic is/was.
    Could be interesting to see what they are streaming now, and how many viewers they have while doing so.

The only thing that really matters to me about how popular Classic is, is the population of the server I am currently playing on, and so far, the lowest I have seen that server go, is high.
    It is a funny world we live in.
    We had Empires run by Emperors, we had Kingdoms run by Kings, now we have Countries...
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    edited September 2019
    Maybe the twitch numbers are down because the people who were watching it are now playing it.

just saying 
    PhryBruceYee

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Did someone say “forum PvP”?
    [Deleted User]
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    laserit said:
    Maybe the twitch numbers are down because the people who were watching it are now playing it.

just saying 
    Most likely lol

But for real tho, can classic keeps it doors open? A company generally only exists to make money. Is classic gonna make enough to keep the doors open? You have tech staff, support staff, janitors to clean there workspace, office space for them, actual hardware maintenance, the list goes on for money that classic has to bring in to just maintain it. Im not into the gaming industry, but it must take more then a skeleton crew to run these things or alot of games wouldnt flop. I mean, a sub for 1 month for 1 person, will pay for 1 hour of work for 1 tech support, that adds up.  If classic goes niche, and only pays its bill with a little fluff in there pockets, but that office space/staff can be used elsewhere for more money, who wins? Would blizzard be wrong for cutting the project if that becomes a situation?

But thats months away, and since we will never see official numbers, we have to use all information to come up with a possible outcomes. Popularity is a way (not the best way) to track a games population to a very minimal degree, but when using other factors it all shows theres a decline (which was to be expected) Does it spell doom, no. 

I want classic to be a success cause I want people to be happy, but again, just cause i want or love something doesnt mean im going to overlook statistics, even tho its not concrete evidence, it still holds merit. 

I play league of legends, I also watch Pro league as well. I however only watch pro league when I am doing something like eating/dishes/general house chores etc. So I would be a "viewer" at some point during the day. Now, if I didnt play league, there is a very good chance I wouldnt watch it. I watch league for top picks/bans, casters are generally fun to listen to but have solid intel as well. It helps me better my game and I enjoy it at the same time, so its win win. Before watching Pro games, hard stuck bronze, after, sitting in gold. Now I know gold isnt great, but because I watched it, how it was suppose to be played, I got better. 

So ya, if i quit league, i quit watching. I know I cant be the only person like that, so yes, it does have merit to a minimal degree, and should be considered when discussing popularity/population. Is it the final statement to win a arguement, hell no lol.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    laserit said:

just saying 
    Most likely lol

But for real tho, can classic keeps it doors open? A company generally only exists to make money. Is classic gonna make enough to keep the doors open? You have tech staff, support staff, janitors to clean there workspace, office space for them, actual hardware maintenance, the list goes on for money that classic has to bring in to just maintain it. Im not into the gaming industry, but it must take more then a skeleton crew to run these things or alot of games wouldnt flop. I mean, a sub for 1 month for 1 person, will pay for 1 hour of work for 1 tech support, that adds up.  If classic goes niche, and only pays its bill with a little fluff in there pockets, but that office space/staff can be used elsewhere for more money, who wins? Would blizzard be wrong for cutting the project if that becomes a situation?

Of course it can because they were smart enough to have it as just one of the two games you can play with a WOW sub without a need for any extra B2P cost. If they had gone separate sub for Classic you'd have a point but the way they did it Classic players have a ready made other game just sitting there playable with their remaining sub time if they want it, and some will want it and do just that.

And then there are the players currently happy with retail and not currently interested in Classic that may just stick around a few extra months over on the Classic servers when they get bored with current WOW.

I doubt Blizzard gives much of a crap about which of the two you're playing as long as you're subbed and subs just got a huge boost with the Classic release.

If they're smart they'll keep going with the idea and do a BC classic and WotLK Classic and give you the option to transfer or stay with the version you like and start fresh in the other versions when you get bored with the one you're in.

gervaise1
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED