Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Philips Hue Play Light Bar Review: Upping My Lighting Game - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited August 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imagePhilips Hue Play Light Bar Review: Upping My Lighting Game - MMORPG.com

At the MMORPG offices, I’m known as the RGB guy. I love it. When I saw that Philips had a brand new set of Hue products aimed at gamers, I knew I had to take a look. This is our review of the Philips Hue Play Light Bars and how I integrated it into my setup to take my lighting to the next level.

Read the full story here

Comments

• 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    > Expensive

~320$. You should ask for a raise.
    Ozmodan

Thank you for your time!

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    I love Hue. I have a good bit of it around my house.

I would love to integrate it as a backlight with my computer, and have tried a few times. A lot of programs use a microphone or camera on a tablet or phone and tie in, but they have a good deal of lag and it requires third party software and a third party device - not exactly ideal.

But no to Razor. not a big fan there. If they get to something that's hardware agnostic I may consider it.
    laxie
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited August 2019
    The first flat screen i ever bought was back in 2004. It was a Phillips Plasma that had this same technology ie light bars that simulated the environment you were watching built right into the back of the TV.

I remember the Demo at Best Buy blew me away. The greens filled up the back wall when watching a jungle scene, Explosions ROARED RED and movies like top gun were a brilliant flash of whites and blues. I think i paid, and i shit you not like 4 grand back then, It was brand new t3ch , flat screen Plasma that is and it had the light show built in.

Literally within a month i didn't even notice the light show anymore and i think I ended up deactivating it manually
    Mikeha
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269
    edited August 2019
    We were considering getting the Hue for our movie room. We would like to set up our 4 recessed lights as well as the back of the TV, which is big (85"). We aren't sure how to back light the TV. They have strips but they don't look like they will bend around the corners very well. the bars look too small.

Also, does the color changing of the lights keep up well with the screen while a movie is playing?
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited September 2019
    Like @Ridelynn I have a lot of Hue and it: works; the colours are very good; it system gets security upgrades; and, via a Hue Hub, voice control with Alexa is "good" and Alexa is getting better at instantly detecting new stuff.

One thing not mentioned in some reviews is that Hue - as do some other systems - uses Zigbee. It is what the Hue Hub is basically. Beware systems that are simply "wireless", they will swamp your wireless hub, use a lot more power. (Zigbee is ultra low power.).
    Post edited by gervaise1 on
    Ridelynn
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    We were considering getting the Hue for our movie room. We would like to set up our 4 recessed lights as well as the back of the TV, which is big (85"). We aren't sure how to back light the TV. They have strips but they don't look like they will bend around the corners very well. the bars look too small.

Also, does the color changing of the lights keep up well with the screen while a movie is playing?
    I Can only tell you my experience based of the Phillips Plasma which was back in 05 but yes, they do keep up VERY WELL  with the screen . For instance when a scene goes from say Jungle to a explosion the transition from Green to red & oranges was without delay or lag. 

Honestly though the thing with this is after a few weeks you don't really notice it anymore. You would be suprised your eyes & brain for some reason just focus on the TV and the backround colors didn't really create the immersive experience i thought they would.
    ultimateduck
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

edited September 2019

I can't comment about how well the lights keep up with a movie however as far as getting a "strip" to bend:

As, I think, you surmise if you simply "bend" a strip you won't get a perfect 90 degree angle. It would go around the "edge" but you would have some curvature. If - as I suspect - you want it on the back of your then you want to use the "corner connectors". Basically a wire with "terminals" at either end. The wire of the connector would bend easily.

Whether the sizing of the strips etc would match up with the size of your TV etc. - maybe download a leaflet from their website? (I assume there is one). I didn't need to go into the instructions about cutting - it can be cut every couple of inches at set places - and whether a connector can be plugged into a cut strip. I think it would but I just plugged a 1m into a 2m so didn't need to investigate further.

Oh and they are backed with 3M tape adhesive tape as well.
    So in summary: worth checking. It may well work.
    ultimateduck

The first flat screen i ever bought was back in 2004. It was a Phillips Plasma that had this same technology ie light bars that simulated the environment you were watching built right into the back of the TV.

I remember the Demo at Best Buy blew me away. The greens filled up the back wall when watching a jungle scene, Explosions ROARED RED and movies like top gun were a brilliant flash of whites and blues. I think i paid, and i shit you not like 4 grand back then, It was brand new t3ch , flat screen Plasma that is and it had the light show built in.

Literally within a month i didn't even notice the light show anymore and i think I ended up deactivating it manually

Mid-2005. Great TV.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Buy a cheap lamp at home depot and you get light. Then if want colors, put in colored bulbs.

Yeah.... But i do not want to keep a box with 250 different bulbs nor do i care to physically switch them every time.

Your suggestion is cheaper but about as functional as suggesting that people just lace on a pair of shoes for their next vacation trip abroad.

This have been a good conversation

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Wait, don't most "real" gamers just sit down in the basement in the dark with just the PC monitor or TV screen for lighting?

;)
    Ridelynn

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited September 2019
    gervaise1 said:

I can't comment about how well the lights keep up with a movie however as far as getting a "strip" to bend:

As, I think, you surmise if you simply "bend" a strip you won't get a perfect 90 degree angle. It would go around the "edge" but you would have some curvature. If - as I suspect - you want it on the back of your then you want to use the "corner connectors". Basically a wire with "terminals" at either end. The wire of the connector would bend easily.

Whether the sizing of the strips etc would match up with the size of your TV etc. - maybe download a leaflet from their website? (I assume there is one). I didn't need to go into the instructions about cutting - it can be cut every couple of inches at set places - and whether a connector can be plugged into a cut strip. I think it would but I just plugged a 1m into a 2m so didn't need to investigate further.

Oh and they are backed with 3M tape adhesive tape as well.
    So in summary: worth checking. It may well work.
    I have a hue light strip - yes, it has marks where you can cut it, I can't recall how far apart they are. It is 3M adhesive on the back - the strips I put up in my kitchen have no problem with it, just make sure the surface is pristine clean before you tack it up.

The cuts also preserve a spot to plug in an extender. There are 90' extenders to do sharp bends (I think it comes with 1 in the box). Also straights so you can combine multiple strips into one long strip. There is also a bendable short 3" connector for doing bends at any angle you want

You can curve it ok.... it doesn't bend well though, because the curve has to go against the thickest part of the strip. I did manage to get it to bend across a 20' bend in my cabinets, but it doesn't look pretty (thankfully it's up under a trim line), and the adhesive can't make contact through the bend. The short bendable connector would have been better had I thought to use it there.

Most monitor/TV backlighting that I have seen though, usually just do 1 strip about 1/3 from the top horizontally and it illuminates the backside pretty well.

To be honest about the Hue lightstrip - it works very well, but there are much, much cheaper ones out there that are as bright, install the same, and can change to as many different colors. It's just that they don't work with the Hue ecosystem. 
    ultimateduckgervaise1

tawess said:

Buy a cheap lamp at home depot and you get light. Then if want colors, put in colored bulbs.

Yeah.... But i do not want to keep a box with 250 different bulbs nor do i care to physically switch them every time.

Your suggestion is cheaper but about as functional as suggesting that people just lace on a pair of shoes for their next vacation trip abroad.

I think I misunderstood @Baalzharon 's comment!

What I thought he meant was buy a lamp or ceiling light and put a e.g. Philips Hue bulb in it. This will give you all the shades you want, can be dimmed and also voice controlled.
    Also

An alternative to voice control for these bulbs is a wireless switch - there is a Hue version! The way the bulbs work (not just Hue ones) is that they - essentially - are either "on" or in "sleep" mode. And you "switch" them on by sending the command to the hub.

What this means is that you can - if you wish - you can add extra lights to anywhere on e.g. a lighting ring main without the need to fit a "traditional" light switch ... with all the added wiring / channels / decorating that that would entail. Just fit the light and use voice or your phone or PC or if you want a switch get a wireless one.

• KylockKylock Member UncommonPosts: 8
    In my half century on this planet , I've always found Philips products to do what it says on the box.
    Whilst everyone is banging away at marketing, etc they just quietly release products, oft overlooked because they're not INYOURFACE all the time.
    Very under estimated products.
    gervaise1