Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wow Classic - 4.5 million players stated

blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
Someone on the classic forum made post that stated classic now has 4.5 million active players.

Thread is here - https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/4-5-million-and-rising-fast/298970

He explains where he got the info from in the thread.  I hope the idiotic, "You think you do, but you don't" people learn to keep their idiot mouths shut.  

Some other interesting info is that only 27k people are level 60 out of those 4.5 million captured.  
Viper482KyleranJeffSpicoli[Deleted User][Deleted User]Golelorn

Comments

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    edited September 2019
    Clearly a failure of epic proportions....we know not what we really want, of course (nostalgia blah blah blah blah). rofl.

I gave up on my original server choice because it is still full during primetime every freaking day.  
    blamo2000
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • vtravivtravi Member UncommonPosts: 398
    I think that is characters created. It is probally more like 750k which is still great. I am absoultely loving it. The most fun I have had in a MMO since Lotro Mines of Moria. I never played wow much before (lotro was always my main game before it got ruined) so it isnt nostaglia, its is just a well made game. 
    blamo2000Viper482Kyleran[Deleted User]Azaron_Nightblade
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    edited September 2019
    vtravi said:
    I think that is characters created. It is probally more like 750k which is still great. I am absoultely loving it. The most fun I have had in a MMO since Lotro Mines of Moria. I never played wow much before (lotro was always my main game before it got ruined) so it isnt nostaglia, its is just a well made game. 
    I don't think so.  The addon takes a snapshot of people logged into a character.  The site he linked to states - "Currently we have 6,187,475 characters in the database."  So the amount of characters that the addon logged is far different from the numbers of people playing.  \

Which makes sense since people aren't really going to log into characters they created just for name holders.  I have no active alts.  I doubt many people are actively leveling alts at this time, so the characters logged versus active logins seems to make sense on its face.  

Edit - here is a link to the site and the breakdown.  Feel free to pick it apart and post any obvious info I missed.  Only characters greater than level 5 were captured (according to the charts).  
  • dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615
    These are recorded characters (above level 5) not necessarily active players, unless there isn't a single alt above level 5 in there (which is highly unlikely). Given the time investment of leveling a character it's probably safe to assume anything above level 30 will have a really low alt dilution though currently.

Anything below 20 is also at quite a large risk of having quit already realizing the old game is not for them which is where the majority of the playerbase can be found atm.
    Kyleran
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    edited September 2019
    If Blizzard didn't publish the number,  its "fake news" and should be considered suspect.

>:) 

[Deleted User]DrunkWolfSlapshot1188WaanXarkomgilbrtsnSandmanjw

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

dlld said:
    These are recorded characters (above level 5) not necessarily active players, unless there isn't a single alt above level 5 in there (which is highly unlikely). Given the time investment of leveling a character it's probably safe to assume anything above level 30 will have a really low alt dilution though currently.

Anything below 20 is also at quite a large risk of having quit already realizing the old game is not for them which is where the majority of the playerbase can be found atm.
    There recorded total number of characters (over level five) is well over 6 mil, far different than the 4.5 million number of players claimed.  I posted this above.

Either I am missing something, or you guys are.  But again, let me stress - the total captured characters over level five is well over 6 million.  The claim of the number of actual players over level 5 is over 4 million.
    edited September 2019
    Kyleran said:
    If Blizzard didn't publish the number,  its "fake news" and should be considered suspect.

It may be hard for them due to PR.  In a different thread someone said only 375k were recorded playing retail.  If that is true I'd be very interested to see how this is spun.  

Edit - I can't find the thread and I could be off.  It was 3X5.  It could be 325 or 395.  All three sound right.  But the important part is that it was reported as a small fraction of active classic players. 
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited September 2019

Related image
    YukmarcMyrdynnWaan
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,848
    edited September 2019
    This is characters created from a add on.

This is a big fat nothing.

When there are REAL numbers from Blizzard then you can make jokes about "You think you do, but you don't"
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    edited September 2019
    DMKano said:
    blamo2000 said:
    dlld said:

There recorded total number of characters (over level five) is well over 6 mil, far different than the 4.5 million number of players claimed.  I posted this above.

Either I am missing something, or you guys are.  But again, let me stress - the total captured characters over level five is well over 6 million.  The claim of the number of actual players over level 5 is over 4 million.

How many are actively playing after 3 weeks? That's the real question.
    Define "actively playing."  In my view it means 2+ hours a day, 4 or 5 days a week, with little time devoted to other games.

45 minutes twice a week doesn't rate.

We'll see how the numbers look when the 30 day sub renewal mark hits.

Oh wait, Blizzard stopped publishing sub numbers.... but if Classic really has 4M+ subs I expect them to shout it from the rooftops....but I bet we won't see it.

[Deleted User]MikehaSandmanjw

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    While I'm loving classic WoW I don't see any way it would be even close to 4mil accounts. I'd say more likely 700k?
    kertinKyleran
  • dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615
    blamo2000 said:
    dlld said:

Yes, and I assume when said post was made it was 4.5mil, I see no evidence of anyone getting to the 4.5mil any other way. I know exactly how the addon works that collects said information since I've used it and the webpage sourced just takes reports from said addon and combines them together.
  • BladeburaibaBladeburaiba Member UncommonPosts: 132
    Ahem.  You think you do, but you really don't.
    [Deleted User]
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• gunklackergunklacker Member UncommonPosts: 247
    DMKano said:
    Umm character created is not accounts - also WoW Classic is 3 weeks in - and it's losing popularity fast on Twitch:

Look at the last week - been brutal in terms of loss of twitch interest - hours watched down by 36%, averge viewers down by 32% - channels down by 32%

Here's the trend since launch - steady decline:

Is WoW classic a success - YES 100%.

3 weeks in - are the new servers being added and is it growing? No.

Is it declining - yes, and it will continue to do so for weeks before it stabilizes at core players in about 3-6 months. 

Top twitch players were classic wow
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    DMKano said:
    Umm character created is not accounts - also WoW Classic is 3 weeks in - and it's losing popularity fast on Twitch:

Look at the last week - been brutal in terms of loss of twitch interest - hours watched down by 36%, averge viewers down by 32% - channels down by 32%

Here's the trend since launch - steady decline:

Is WoW classic a success - YES 100%.

Is it declining - yes, and it will continue to do so for weeks before it stabilizes at core players in about 3-6 months. 

WoW would be losing popularity on Twitch even if it were gaining players. The streamers and viewers jumped in to the new game for the newness -factor, but once that is past then WoW is very much about different grinds, and long-term those grinds aren't that fun to watch.

KyleranManWithNoTan

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    DMKano said:
    Viper482 said:
    Clearly a failure of epic proportions....we know not what we really want, of course (nostalgia blah blah blah blah). rofl.

I gave up on my original server choice because it is still full during primetime every freaking day.  

Some servers will remain very popular while others will not. 

5 EU servers are showing declining population:

meanwhile US realms while declining are more populated than EU realms:

You have to remember that players initially play same game far more hours/day than they'd play long term. Assuming that those numbers are about players connecting to the server, then NA must have gained active players to keep the population stable as that initial rush passes.

I do believe the population will drop, but honestly I'm at the moment surprised it's not dropping faster.

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Those server lists also seem like they were taken during NA peak hours while EU was sleeping.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Well Blizzard got what it wanted, which was quick fix income.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]PhryMendel
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    DMKano said:
    Vrika said:
    DMKano said:
    Viper482 said:

Some servers will remain very popular while others will not. 

5 EU servers are showing declining population:

meanwhile US realms while declining are more populated than EU realms:

You have to remember that players initially play same game far more hours/day than they'd play long term. Assuming that those numbers are about players connecting to the server, then NA must have gained active players to keep the population stable as that initial rush passes.

I do believe the population will drop, but honestly I'm at the moment surprised it's not dropping faster.

It is dropping fast though - after the 1st month, how many stay subbed?

Also WoW classic has a major issue with lacking content at end game - so as more players level up - more will leave as they hit endgame.

So the rate of players leaving is likely to increase.
    I get what you're saying but the drop applies to almost every single MMO ever released with the possible exception of, ironically, WOW the first time around just because it kind of became a pop culture phenomenon back in those pre-FB, Pre-twitter days. Popular TV shows at the time like Stargate even featured it prominently in their dialogue. That kind of cross promotion was pretty damn rare back then and only happened because its existence was known in mainstream pop culture circles that had not clue about any other game with the possible exception of Pong.

And you're wrong. The drop will happen at the two month mark not 1 month because it's really hard to find 1 month WOW game time cards and the 2 month ones are everywhere :)

I think you're also underestimating just how many are playing it for the first time. If you spend any time at all reading the topics and replies in the Classic Reddit it becomes pretty obvious that there is a lot more happening here than just old timers on a nostalgia trip. Tons of new players playing it.
    [Deleted User]Viper482[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    All i will say on this matter , Is it has  exceeded expectations , corporate is pleased, ideas are being thrown around for retention ..

Which all is good news for Classic players
    Viper482Phrylaserit
    edited September 2019
    DMKano said:
    Scorchien said:
    All i will say on this matter , Is it has  exceeded expectations , corporate is pleased, ideas are being thrown around for retention ..

And .. nice uptick ,which is good news but also reflects ATVI as a whole , my comment was relative to Blizz .. And holds true ..

And im fully aware i get that daily , as im invested in Blizz since 05 :)
    Phry
    edited September 2019
    DMKano said:
    Scorchien said:
    DMKano said:
    Scorchien said:

And .. nice uptick ,which is good news but also reflects ATVI as a whole , my comment was relative to Blizz .. And holds true ..

And im fully aware i get that daily , as im invested in Blizz since 05 :)

I know you are an investor- that's why I posted it as a reminder.

Because I remember your post where you predicted how awesome the stock is going to be doing in the 2nd half of 2019.

Doesnt seem to be happening yet.
    Your memory serves you right , when all the doom and gloom and ATVI piling on went on here last Nov/Dec ... I said come revisit this in 9/19( as you see growth thru that period) .. Now that is about what i expected at this point and with Holiday coming , I see ATVI continued rebound thru 19 ..

There is also some good things on the slate for 20 with announcements and releases for ATVI and Blizz

And nowhere did i ever say awesome , I did say it would bounce back the 2nd half of 19 .. That trend has just begun
    Viper482PottedPlant22
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    I'm going to renew my sub for a 2nd month.  I am enjoying myself.  I am a little worried that it is more addicting than fun.. . I will likely start to lose interest around level 40 or so again and start with an alt.  
    Viper482

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

DMKano said:

New servers are being added.  And the Twitch numbers going down makes me hopeful.  The last thing I want is to play games with retarded kids more interested in watching videos of other people play games than just playing the fucking game like a sane person.

And the amount of characters over level 5 created versus logged players was discussed.  The numbers are vastly different. 

I'm with you in I believe numbers will go down and stabilize in 3-6 months.  I can tell a lot of the people in my guild don't like it but are playing because it is the new hot thing for all the hipsters that just have to be part of the new hot thing.  I, personally, can't wait for all these people to leave.  They just whine incessantly on the forums trying to turn classic into retail.

I want all the twitch kids and the bandwagon jumpers gone asap so the millions and millions of us left can get on with enjoying the game and its future.
    Phry[Deleted User]