Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Somewhat recenty fantasy MMO where death is feared?

2»

Comments

• cmorris975cmorris975 Member UncommonPosts: 207
    I think the popularity of games like Ark and Dark Souls demonstrates that modern players can handle death consequences.  Anyways, I need it in order to add meaning and challenge, so I will seek it out wherever I can get it.  

Neither view is wrong or better than the other - I just do whatever is the most fun for me. 
  • milyenmilyen Member UncommonPosts: 39
    Back in the day I remember playing a druid Woodelf in EQ. I went exploring from Greater Faydark via the boat to Freeport. I died in Commonlands outside and it took me nearly an hour to run back as it was dark and I couldn't see much at night and I forgot to bind myself in Freeport.

A few months later decided to join a raid entering Plane of Fear. OMG I died on entry as did most of the raiding party back in those days. Took me 4 days to recover my corpse and I swore I would never ever go back to Plane of Fear. Ever. Well I did go back but it was well over a year later when I was significantly stronger. The problem then was the gear drops were more for novelty as I had better gear from newer content.

But EQ was harsh. Death = loss of xp and loss of equipment. You started to get hungry and thirsty and night time was a nightmare as you had no light source to illuminate your vision / path when running around.

I really wish they would bring in some penalties for death. Nowadays it is just a minor inconvenience if that.

Sovrathcmorris975
  • cmorris975cmorris975 Member UncommonPosts: 207
    Yep, I totally agree Milyen!  I remember the intensity of early EQ1 when you went far into a dungeon.  I let a corpse of my level 47 SK rot deep in Lower Guk back before Kunark was even released.  I'm sure my guild would have helped me if I had of asked, but I think at the time I had been camping for some kind of haste belt and just had burned myself out and did not play for awhile after I died.

Progression in games is fun, and I think that's what people don't want anything to get in the way of.  And sure, getting guildies to come help you retrieve a corpse can be a pain.  To me it is worth it because of the danger and immersion that comes along with it.  There will always be more progression to chase in these games it seems, so I want a deeper experience while I chase it.

Again, neither style of play is wrong and if you do not like harsh death penalties then I can totally understand that.

Time to load up DDO.  Aria's isometric viewpoint...  I wish I could get past it but I just couldn't.  Too bad, because it seems like a decent game.
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    Legend of Aria.   No one is playing it

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• WoeToTheVanquishedWoeToTheVanquished Member UncommonPosts: 276
    or you could play an ARPG on hardcore.
    cmorris975Kyleran
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Its not recent but in DDO if you die you in a dungeon you have to start all over again and the whole dungeon was a huge waste of time (if you are solo).  The whole setup makes death something that is very, very painful and you really try to avoid more than in other games.
    cmorris975