Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anthem Now A Part of EA and Origin Access - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited September 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageAnthem Now A Part of EA and Origin Access - MMORPG.com

Bioware's looter shooter, Anthem, has navigated its way onto EA and Origin Access, Electronic Arts announced yesterday, marking another point on its journey.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Spriggen1337Spriggen1337 Member UncommonPosts: 276
    edited September 2019

This move wont save the game!

Tbh i think this game is done now it sounds like its in full maintenance mode

EA better not F up the command and conquer remakes because if they do i will never buy EA stuff again CnC red alert 1 and 2 /yuris revenge one of my all time faves
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    It wasn't already? I thought that was how most played it.
    JeffSpicoliPsym0n[Deleted User]Octagon7711Nyghthowlerinfomatz
  • jgDuffayjgDuffay Member UncommonPosts: 237
    Fitting, its worth playing just for the view. Nothing more. Really would be a good game with some game design in it though
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    It was part of Premier Access before, the more expensive one.
    QuicksandIselinTacticalZombehGorweinfomatz
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    So new games at EA all start outside their subscription plan and then are eventually phased in? This makes sense unless they are multiplayer which more and more games are now. Not sure this is a wise system going forward.
  • Jaguaratron1Jaguaratron1 Member UncommonPosts: 298
    The only thing Anthem had going for it was being pretty, thats it, its linear, formulaic and is nothing but a cash shop. Everything about the game has been a disaster.
    JeroKaneinfomatzRellz
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849

Aeander said:

Yeah I'v been playing Madden 20 for the past month or so with the orgin pass and i remember seeing it available for download back then.
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• KeladorKelador Member UncommonPosts: 119
    edited September 2019
    I'm expecting to see EA/Bioware drop support for Anthem within the next few months or at least before next year. The game requires massive overhauls of big chunks of the game which they dont have the team for or money coming in to justify.
    Phryinfomatz
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    There will probably still be a few people playing the game, but i seriously doubt there are all that many, its probably only a matter of time before the game has its ME:Andromeda 'moment' where they give up fixing the game and just maintain what remains, probably maintaining the game in its current state is the best that can be hoped for. :/
    Octagon7711
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited September 2019
    Scot said:
    So new games at EA all start outside their subscription plan and then are eventually phased in? This makes sense unless they are multiplayer which more and more games are now. Not sure this is a wise system going forward.
    EA Basic is very cheap at $30 / year and Premier is $100. Premier gives you access to some but not all games at launch - Anthem was one of them - and Basic has mostly older games available... more than 100 games. Basic also gives you 10 hour trials of full new games as it did with Anthem. That's what I did with it and based on that decided not to buy it.

"Older" is relative though and you can gauge how well or badly a game did on retail by how quickly it gets to Basic. ME: Andromeda and now Anthem got there in record time :) 
    [Deleted User]ScotOctagon7711[Deleted User]Gobstopper3Dinfomatz
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 805
    Rest in peace Anthem. You tried and I enjoyed the game for roughly 25-30 hours.
    gunklacker
    I like to complain about games.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    not coming back until they add some "meat" and buff storm ...
  • halfmystichalfmystic Member RarePosts: 535
    Uh..

It has been, I thought?
  • DarthDowtyDarthDowty Member UncommonPosts: 35
    edited September 2019

Aeander said:

I think it means it's going to the standard sub . If was available with origin access Premier (the premium sub) before.
  • SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

EA better not F up the command and conquer remakes because if they do i will never buy EA stuff again CnC red alert 1 and 2 /yuris revenge one of my all time faves

Didn't they already mess up C&C 4 (Tiberium Twilight)? The game went the way of trying to copy Supreme Commander 2 or something. SC1 was greatish....SC2 was under received (though was still fun). That dev team going to making Planetary Annihilation and bombing hard on that one was....it wasn't that great.

------[Then again, they only went back to making an SC-like because their LoL-like -Demigod- failed so very hard due to a piss poor network system and little to no post-launch development support. Don't get me wrong, the game's mechanics were absolutely fun and I miss it so very much. But the networking was utter garbage.]

Oh...so ya, it's EA. Plus have you seen their library lately? The only good thing to come out of them is APEX Legends; which was by one of their subsidiaries as a 'grown up Fortnite' knockoff.

• GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815

Wait is there a CnC reboot happening? Thats fucking amazing!
  • evolgrinzevolgrinz Member UncommonPosts: 151
    When a struggling game goes to EA, it usually means end of the journey.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Just go f2p already before dying off completely. Maybe it'll have a better turn around.
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    You can literally buy the game for 5 - 10 bucks now. Retail stores are just dumping their stock now for this game and practically giving it away nearly free, just to get rid of it.
    Octagon7711infomatz
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    All they really need to do is make the game more solo friendly, which gives players the option to solo or group content, by improving the gear and weapons, the game would pickup a lot of players, imo.
    Cazriel[Deleted User]

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    All they really need to do is make the game more solo friendly, which gives players the option to solo or group content, by improving the gear and weapons, the game would pickup a lot of players, imo.
    You mean like abandoning their "Game$ a$ a $ervice" multiplayer horseshit that all of us allegedly wanted and make it a single player game like all the games Bioware is best known for? What kind of heresy is this? 
    CazrielGorwe[Deleted User]infomatz
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Just FYI - I never bought Anthem and played it on release because it was part of the Origin access subscription, so this has been true from the very start.

Also, I have a fire stick and in prime I can download Netflix, hulu. and hbo, but I still need to manage my account with them separate outside of prime and login to them seperate from prime, etc.  

I remember seeing a little complaining when people had to get SWtOR through Origin, but I never saw one person complain about getting wow or wow games through blizzard and that app.  I've barely seen any complaining over the years until the Epic store.

This just means I am others like me will now complain about games being steam exclusives in games that only release on steam (which is the vast majority of them).  This complaining goes both ways I hope the Epic haters realize.  

Also, GoG has or is working on a platform that supposedly will consolidate all the platforms.  GoG shoots itself in the foot for its own platform by not accepting a lot of games that are quality and try to get on GoG (in my opinion).

In an ideal world people would just stop complaining about platforms and exclusives and just be happy people are trying to take steam down as an evil monopoly that is too powerful, controlling, and anti-free speech.   
    Maddog666
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    OG_Zorvan said:

So, how exactly does Steam impede the First Amendment of the Constitution? Or are you another who has absolutely no clue what "free speech" is?
    A company can be outside the US and value free speech.  A private company, unfettered from the restrictions of the constitution can value free speech.

The fact that you cannot distinguish between these two makes me think arguing with you will be useless.  I value companies that value my ability to provide feedback.  Every single time I tried that on the steam feedback forums my post is locked for no reason, or a blatantly false reason.  

If that isn't a big deal to you - great.  It is to me.  I don't give my money to authoritarians who are anti-free speech.  

Please explain to me when Epic demanded anyone be exclusive to their store.  They haven't.  They offered lucrative deals for market penetration that devs accepted or didn't, or accepted with an time limited exclusivity stipulation.  

Do you get but hurt and cry when Star Trek was a CBS All Access exclusive?  Or when Prime has an exclusive show, or HBO, or Netflix, or Hulu?  Of course not.  

How old are you?  How familiar are you with anti-monopoly laws?  How much market share have most companies broken up have since Teddy?  I am willing to bet you have no idea, and no idea what the other stipulations are.  Do you think the last major case with time warner was a good call?  I bet you do.

I really don't want to argue with kids about this.  Kids love steam and hate Epic because they love steam.  I hate steam for tons of great reasons and want the other platforms to have a much bigger market share.  I also hate google, apple, etc, and other evil mega-corps.  Most people don't.  That doesn't make those companies any less evil mega-corps.  

kenguru23
    edited September 2019
    Torval said:
    It's the kind of game that would add value to a subscription service to me. To be honest though, I'd rather they offered this through Steam or Amazon some how as a channel rather than having to install Origin itself. I don't have Origin installed now because I'm not playing any of their games.

Screwing around with a ton of launchers and store fronts is so last decade. When I want to watch Acorn, Britbox, or Boombox I add those channels to Prime Video. I don't go to each service, make an account, add the app to my set top box, and manage them all separately. I add them to Prime and manage them through a single web page.

On PC there are a few major store fronts - Steam, Microsoft, Epic, Amazon, and maybe GoG, if we're being kind. These publishers should make channel deals with them like they do with Hulu and Prime.
    I wouldn't put Epic in the major list just yet. There's only about 100 games on there. It's still in it's infant stage. Origin, UPlay and GoG have way more.

Does Amazon have a store front other than just selling official keys for the other launchers? I don't think we have that in the UK.
    Torval said:
    Torval said:
    It's the kind of game that would add value to a subscription service to me. To be honest though, I'd rather they offered this through Steam or Amazon some how as a channel rather than having to install Origin itself. I don't have Origin installed now because I'm not playing any of their games.

Screwing around with a ton of launchers and store fronts is so last decade. When I want to watch Acorn, Britbox, or Boombox I add those channels to Prime Video. I don't go to each service, make an account, add the app to my set top box, and manage them all separately. I add them to Prime and manage them through a single web page.

On PC there are a few major store fronts - Steam, Microsoft, Epic, Amazon, and maybe GoG, if we're being kind. These publishers should make channel deals with them like they do with Hulu and Prime.
    I wouldn't put Epic in the major list just yet. There's only about 100 games on there. It's still in it's infant stage. Origin, UPlay and GoG have way more.

Does Amazon have a store front other than just selling official keys for the other launchers? I don't think we have that in the UK.
    It's not about the4 number of games, but about market presence and scope. Epic is huge and backed by the number one global publisher. Itch.io probably has more titals than Epic, but it's scope and reach are small. The same is truer with Origin and Uplay as well and GoG doesn't have a single ongoing mega revenue earner.

Amazon does have a service through the Twitch desktop client. I'm not sure why they're sitting on it, but it's there. They give away free games to their Prime members too. I probably have more free games through Twitch Prime than Epic sells on its store.

I included Amazon and GoG because they both have name recognition. Cyberpunk 2077 could be the revenue machine they're looking for. Amazon just has to get off its ass and do something and quit waffling around.

The list wasn't intended to be definitive, rather just some ideas of established store fronts that could be forging these channel deals. I agree Epic doesn't have the time in but they have the money to keep going and growing.
    Ah yes, Twitch. Completely forgot about it haha.