Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Obligation to play trash.

For me if a MMORPG is good I usually will have some interest in it.  At least the short term of trying it out and enjoying it for it's worth.  For example themepark MMORPG I realized are just short term investments because the long term isn't something I am interested in.

When I play MMORPG that are bad I am not going to have much interest regardless of type of game.  For example a game like Mortal Online if done well would have interested me.  Unfortunately it was just bad to me. 

But I always see if you want games like MO you must play it.  I don't want games like MO because I found it bad and being the right type of game doesn't matter. 
alkarionlogPhaserlight

Comments

  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 5,732
    I don't think you have to carry the market on your shoulders.  Just play what you like. 
    ScotSovrathJeffSpicoliKyleranAlBQuirkyPhaserlightGorweAdamantine

    EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 11,753
    edited September 13
    You have no obligation to play trash, however we all have an obligation to take it out. Speak up if you think a MMO needs to be in the dustbin. We won't always agree on what MMOs need to go in the bin, but disagreeing is healthy for the mind so out with the rubbish. :)
    KyleranMendelAlBQuirky

     25 Agrees

    You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

  • moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 308
    Scot said:
    You have no obligation to play trash, however we all have an obligation to take it out. Speak up if you think a MMO needs to be in the dustbin. We won't always agree on what MMOs need to go in the bin, but disagreeing is healthy for the mind so out with the rubbish. :)
    I wholeheartedly disagree.
    ScotKyleranVermillion_RaventhalAlBQuirky
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 27,047
    Amathe said:
    I don't think you have to carry the market on your shoulders.  Just play what you like. 
    Yeah, pretty much "this."

    Only thing is that he does have a point. If people don't play things then it doesn't show that there is a want for those things.

    And then someone decides to get some money together and make their own game. But they don't have enough money or enough experience and the game either never releases or it releases in a horrible state.

    You THEN have other people pointing out how there is no market for it because that particular game didn't do well. But did it not do well because of what it was or because it just wasn't made well?


    KyleranScotAlBQuirky



  • DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 21,174
    But I always see if you want games like MO you must play it. 

    Hmm not really.

    The most important thing you can do to support the MMOs you love is to support it financially. 

    That is the only thing that counts in the end.

    Games shut down because they are not making enough money in the end.
    AlBQuirky
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 33,936
    edited September 13
    Sovrath said:
    Amathe said:
    I don't think you have to carry the market on your shoulders.  Just play what you like. 
    Yeah, pretty much "this."

    Only thing is that he does have a point. If people don't play things then it doesn't show that there is a want for those things.

    And then someone decides to get some money together and make their own game. But they don't have enough money or enough experience and the game either never releases or it releases in a horrible state.

    You THEN have other people pointing out how there is no market for it because that particular game didn't do well. But did it not do well because of what it was or because it just wasn't made well?


    Agreed, one doesn't have to support a particular game, but if they never support any similar title because of "reasons" (however valid) then very likely the type of game they are hoping for likely will never be created.
    SovrathAlBQuirky

    "See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member RarePosts: 2,767
    Kyleran said:
    Sovrath said:
    Amathe said:
    I don't think you have to carry the market on your shoulders.  Just play what you like. 
    Yeah, pretty much "this."

    Only thing is that he does have a point. If people don't play things then it doesn't show that there is a want for those things.

    And then someone decides to get some money together and make their own game. But they don't have enough money or enough experience and the game either never releases or it releases in a horrible state.

    You THEN have other people pointing out how there is no market for it because that particular game didn't do well. But did it not do well because of what it was or because it just wasn't made well?


    Agreed, one doesn't have to support a particular game, but if they never support any similar title because of "reasons" (however valid) then very likely the type of game they are hoping for likely will never be created.
    but its not what we want? theys top making crap and start to work on something good? I said before and will say it again, they will not make a good game and spend on making it if a crap game give return, when crap games start failing on day one then maybe we will see progress
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 33,936
    Kyleran said:
    Sovrath said:
    Amathe said:
    I don't think you have to carry the market on your shoulders.  Just play what you like. 
    Yeah, pretty much "this."

    Only thing is that he does have a point. If people don't play things then it doesn't show that there is a want for those things.

    And then someone decides to get some money together and make their own game. But they don't have enough money or enough experience and the game either never releases or it releases in a horrible state.

    You THEN have other people pointing out how there is no market for it because that particular game didn't do well. But did it not do well because of what it was or because it just wasn't made well?


    Agreed, one doesn't have to support a particular game, but if they never support any similar title because of "reasons" (however valid) then very likely the type of game they are hoping for likely will never be created.
    but its not what we want? theys top making crap and start to work on something good? I said before and will say it again, they will not make a good game and spend on making it if a crap game give return, when crap games start failing on day one then maybe we will see progress
    What comes first, the chicken or the egg?

    :)

    "See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 16,452
    I think OP is saying that we have to support the bad games that have a better idea just to keep those dev teams in play and hopefully one of them makes a quality game.

    I support only games i want to play,i am not doing anything for these businesses,they are all cut throat operations only in it for themselves,so don't worry none about them.

    There is only one way you get the game you want,someone with a like mind set comes along AND has the team and budget to pull it off AND are not pushed or influenced by investors,a tall order to fill.
    SO what we are more likely to see are games with a business idea behind them way more than a game design idea behind them.Example THIS idea might work with a cash shop and it has community ideas,sounds good,let's make a game.OK our game seems to be accepted as generally a decent game,let's not wait,the faster we push this out the sooner we start making money...sigh.

    I bet there are all kinds of dumbass decisions being made inside of all game studios,money curbs the brain in awkward ways.

    I am way more than confident that if i had the time and money,i could build a game i would actually think is worthy and not just some business idea.Sadly i am not the type of person running these businesses,these are former ceo's,execs from other big businesses,people highly trained in relevant skills that now think they can make a game etc etc,basically not real gamer minds but business minds.
    alkarionlog

    Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

  • ArteriusArterius Member EpicPosts: 1,859
    I feel obligated to play trash. Not MMO's mind you but if I buy a video game for $60 I force myself to play at least 20-30 hours of it or beat it whichever comes first. 
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 5,732
    There are many reasons why a game may not be financially successful. For example, the company may be mismanaged. They may not market the game well. They may be paying too much overhead. They may have technical issues (Vanguard). I could go on and on.

    Sure, if nobody plays it, it's likely to fail (unless it's Star Citizen). But you, individually, buying the game isn't going to save it. There would have to be lots and lots of you. And if the game sucks, there won't be.  You will just be Kevin Bacon in Animal House saying "All is well!" when it isn't.


    Kyleran

    EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member RarePosts: 806
    Sovrath said:

    If people don't play things then it doesn't show that there is a want for those things.



    If people don't play things to the extent they aren't economically viable, they don't want them.
    Kyleran
  • MendelMendel Member EpicPosts: 3,277
    And here I was thinking this was going to be a rant against endless hoards of trash mobs in most game's raid designs.  Thanks for not going down that particular road.

    If I think a game is trash, it simply doesn't get played.  I'm incredibly loyal to some older games (the Microprose version of Colonization, Caesar 3, and Hearts of Iron 3).  There's too much good options for me to force myself to play games I don't like.  Yes, it hurts to pay money for an inferior game; that's part of why I'm not an "early adopter" anymore.



    Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 33,936
    Mendel said:
    And here I was thinking this was going to be a rant against endless hoards of trash mobs in most game's raid designs.  Thanks for not going down that particular road.

    If I think a game is trash, it simply doesn't get played.  I'm incredibly loyal to some older games (the Microprose version of Colonization, Caesar 3, and Hearts of Iron 3).  There's too much good options for me to force myself to play games I don't like.  Yes, it hurts to pay money for an inferior game; that's part of why I'm not an "early adopter" anymore.



    I dunno, there's quite a few games that I think are utter trash, yet millions still play them anyways.

    Weird.

    ;)
    AmatheMendelOG_Zorvan

    "See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 5,732
    Arterius said:
    I feel obligated to play trash. Not MMO's mind you but if I buy a video game for $60 I force myself to play at least 20-30 hours of it or beat it whichever comes first. 
    I usually look to see if I can find a spot somewhere in the garage to toss it where my wife won't see. 
    Arterius

    EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 3,934
    I mean in theory if a game like Mortal Online got WoW money it hire enough programmers to make a good game in time or a sequel or rebirth.  

    I just hate when some comes along and say see you don't even support the genre or game type.  Do popular game types give players more leeway to be picky? Unpopular ones we got to support any crap thrown our way.  

  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 5,732

    I just hate when some comes along and say see you don't even support the genre or game type.   

    I think what you need to work on is telling people to F Off. 

    Watch.

    Opinionated Person:  You don't even support the genre or game type.   

    You: F Off! 

    See how easy?


    Kyleran

    EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 27,047
    Sovrath said:

    If people don't play things then it doesn't show that there is a want for those things.



    If people don't play things to the extent they aren't economically viable, they don't want them.


    If I love something but the only thing available for that thing is "bad" then I won't patronize it.

    Doesn't mean I don't want it. It means I don't want a bad version of it.

    I'm not the only one who thinks this way. Now, if you will patronize something, even if its bad, then that's great.




  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,748
    edited September 13
    If you're obsessed with a mechanic you probably should have lower expectations and go with what's around. 

    For instance Arc started out a complete disaster of a mess, and still is in many ways.  However since players stuck with it it caused a boom in the survival genre (Arc's predecessors are even worse).  There are even non indy games in the genre now.

    The same could be said about PUBG,  it's pretty much a mess and players pretty much exploit the hell out of it.  But after players proved there was a demand Epic decided to troll us and make their own version...  And now we're stuck with every publisher demanding a BattleRoyale game. 

    ____

    On the other hand if you're just a normal player that wants to have fun.  You'll have tons of fun playing whatever comes out and proves to be fun.  Then move on to the next game.

    Quite simply put there are so many games coming out that if you just want to have fun, it'll never stop.

    Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

    "At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

  • Jamar870Jamar870 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    Wizardry said:


    There is only one way you get the game you want,someone with a like mind set comes along AND has the team and budget to pull it off AND are not pushed or influenced by investors,a tall order to fill.

    Well you have something like that with SC

  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 5,415
    In this day of F2P MMO games, not all of the old rules apply quite the same. If enough didn't like a specific game in days of yore, it eventually shut down since subs alone couldn't keep it afloat. But if a few "whales" like a cash shop game, they, as a small group, will keep it running and possibly inspire more games like it. "Vote with your wallet" is no longer a viable option to show one's displeasure with a game. One rule still applies and that is, as DMKano alluded to, money talks. Supporting a game by "just logging in and playing" carries much less weight with developers than buying cash shop items regularly.

    F2P has taken the power out of the "masses" hands and placed it into the hands of the "too much disposable income." You certainly don't have to suffer through trash games by playing them :)

    - Al

    Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR


    (And now Burger King has MEATLESS burgers!)

  • lahnmirlahnmir Member EpicPosts: 2,830
    AlBQuirky said:
    In this day of F2P MMO games, not all of the old rules apply quite the same. If enough didn't like a specific game in days of yore, it eventually shut down since subs alone couldn't keep it afloat. But if a few "whales" like a cash shop game, they, as a small group, will keep it running and possibly inspire more games like it. "Vote with your wallet" is no longer a viable option to show one's displeasure with a game. One rule still applies and that is, as DMKano alluded to, money talks. Supporting a game by "just logging in and playing" carries much less weight with developers than buying cash shop items regularly.

    F2P has taken the power out of the "masses" hands and placed it into the hands of the "too much disposable income." You certainly don't have to suffer through trash games by playing them :)
    The masses are never in control. One person with a million dollars has more to say in the industry then 100.000 people with only one dollar.

    /Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    AlBQuirky
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

    Kyleran on yours sincerely 


    But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.

    Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 5,415
    lahnmir said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    In this day of F2P MMO games, not all of the old rules apply quite the same. If enough didn't like a specific game in days of yore, it eventually shut down since subs alone couldn't keep it afloat. But if a few "whales" like a cash shop game, they, as a small group, will keep it running and possibly inspire more games like it. "Vote with your wallet" is no longer a viable option to show one's displeasure with a game. One rule still applies and that is, as DMKano alluded to, money talks. Supporting a game by "just logging in and playing" carries much less weight with developers than buying cash shop items regularly.

    F2P has taken the power out of the "masses" hands and placed it into the hands of the "too much disposable income." You certainly don't have to suffer through trash games by playing them :)
    The masses are never in control. One person with a million dollars has more to say in the industry then 100.000 people with only one dollar.

    /Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Back in the subscription pay model days, 1 person could only spend $15/month, though they could pay for multiple accounts. Then, maybe a 10 to 1 ratio would be tops. Cash shops opened the "contribution" to unlimited spending by players.

    Usually, I agree 100% that rich people control things, but in old MMORPG subscription days, there was an "equalizer" in place that limited spending ;)
    lahnmir

    - Al

    Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR


    (And now Burger King has MEATLESS burgers!)

  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 4,276
    I'm not willing to spend money on stuff that I dont want, and I'm surprised to learn that some people feel "obliged" to spent their money in this rather riddiculous way.
    Please set a sig so I can read your posting even if somebody "agreed" etc with it. Thanks.
Sign In or Register to comment.