Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's OK to destroy your enemies, just don't tell them in advance

2»

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Amathe said:
    I don't know what the heck this game is or what the heck this post is about but i think i need this Online MMO drama in my boring life. What game is this ?

It's not a game yet. It's one allegedly being made that is mostly off the rails. But that won't stop them from selling you things in it.
    True, not a game yet, but oh the drama is near priceless.
    AnOldFartbcbullyanemoScotXarkotweedledumb99kenguru23

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Torval said:
    Iselin said:
    Torval said:
    Iselin said:
    Caspien's just too cheap to hire grief counselors for these people that got pre-emptively destroyed.
    You probably just gave him an idea for something else he can sell right now before there's a game.
    He should have sold $7 refrigerators like Bethesda. Word is those are big with the hapless fleecees (or is that feces). Have you ever noticed how some of the biggest critics of some games are also the biggest knob gobblers and shills for others?

Not speaking of you specifically, but seeing your comment here reminded of the virtue signalling in the Bethesda  thread. I've seen the flip-flop a lot lately in various threads. It's funny.
    Well my conscience is clear: I hate all of this shit equally. Although I have to say I do give the small studios with honest F2P games a bit of a pass because I get it's do or die for them.

Big studios like Bethesda with B2P + MTX can suck it. And so can the vast majority of KS MMO projects like this one that have absolutely no integrity about the game they may eventually put out or they're too stupid to get the harm that tiered perks does to the starting state of their game which ALWAYS should start with as even a playing field as possible.

It's why I've never backed any of them. I could afford some of their upper tiers and set myself up to start with special status or advantage but what's the fucking point? That in and of itself is shit game design.

To paraphrase Groucho, I'd never play a game that would have me as a Count :) 
    Haha, a groucho quote. Well done and a good post imo. I agree. Like I said, not speaking to you specifically. It was the comment that made me think, huh he should have sold refrigerators because white knights came out in droves to smooth to signal that this was a non-pay-to-win exception. It reminded me that PR and perception are 90% of the battle.

Once upon a time when I was more open minded about "indie" operation I would have agreed. What I have taken away from my experiences however is that ethical and unethical people exist in all entities big and small. Indies who are willing to do unethical things as a small studio will do them even more so when they have money and their IPs are valued. I think Bethesda is a good example of that, but they're not alone in that.

While it is about being milked and oversold games, it's also about how a game feels. A game world completely free from the pollution of a cash shop, dlc bonus bundles, and extra digital exclusives. I think the point was, at some time in the distant past, that the industry could offer inclusive payment models and ways to develop games that weren't strangled by big money corporate development.

Unfortunately, people are just people, and this goes back to what I said above, the industry took the low road. They have done so consistently now for quite a while with recurring fees, F2P, cash shops, RMT, triple-dipping, and finally crowd-funding. All of those could have been consumer friendly but instead the industry made them as hostile and predatory as possible. So, it doesn't matter to me anymore if a studio or publisher is big or small. I'm holding them to the same standard.

Instead of getting all up in it though I usually just skip all the games that do this sort of stuff. It's fun to talk about on the forums, but I don't have gaming time to waste on this stuff. I barely have gaming time to waste on the good stuff. :lol:
    Yeah I miss the all-inclusive days too. But they're not dead and gone. A handful of studios I think do see the damage to the core game that piecemeal monetisation does.

And one of the more remarkable but rarely mentioned things about the WOW Classic phenomenon playing out right now is that it's a sub game and players are flocking to it in droves. Sure it remains to be seen how long those subs last but hey who would have thought players were still willing to do it in 2019?
    [Deleted User]KyleranScottweedledumb99
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Jamar870Jamar870 Member UncommonPosts: 570
    The game, development all sound like a clusterf**k  to me and a reminder to stay away from crowd funded games.
    [Deleted User]
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    so what? the game have a mud or something like that so there is a game they are playing, or this is all drama created by people who have nothing else to do because there is no game to play?
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    Amathe said:
    "But we do have out-of-game mechanics to deal with those problems, and the moderators and admins can use them if necessary to protect the safety and well-being of our players."

What an odd statement. 

If a prospective player's safety is at risk (as in physical harm), the remedy for that is law enforcement (assuming you can get them to take the threat seriously).  But I don't think anyone is claiming that something that serious has happened. So, once again, this game creates dramatic mountains out of pitiful little mole hills. 

Well being? Some mod is going to use out of game mechanics to enforce "well being"? This has a decidedly Barney Fife ring to it. 

I'm sorry but I think your instantly dismissing this.

You count immediate harm as physical but actual online bullying and online mental abuse accounts for alot more deaths than physical abuse following online contact.

And for that there is tools, someone being bullied should feel ok to report it knowing the Devs will deal with it in a swift and decisive action.
    tweedledumb99
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited September 2019
    This is what happens when you pretend to play a game that doesn't exist.

You watch.... The delusion associated with this title is only going to escalate from here.
    Slapshot1188
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    SBS are clearly trying to protect their revenue stream at all costs, lol

Threats that would be commonplace in any RP forum are totally unacceptable while people are spending money on the game ? :smiley:
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Iselin said:
    Torval said:
    Iselin said:
    Caspien's just too cheap to hire grief counselors for these people that got pre-emptively destroyed.
    You probably just gave him an idea for something else he can sell right now before there's a game.
    He should have sold $7 refrigerators like Bethesda. Word is those are big with the hapless fleecees (or is that feces). Have you ever noticed how some of the biggest critics of some games are also the biggest knob gobblers and shills for others?

Not speaking of you specifically, but seeing your comment here reminded of the virtue signalling in the Bethesda  thread. I've seen the flip-flop a lot lately in various threads. It's funny.
    Well my conscience is clear: I hate all of this shit equally. Although I have to say I do give the small studios with honest F2P games a bit of a pass because I get it's do or die for them.

Big studios like Bethesda with B2P + MTX can suck it. And so can the vast majority of KS MMO projects like this one that have absolutely no integrity about the game they may eventually put out or they're too stupid to get the harm that tiered perks does to the starting state of their game which ALWAYS should start with as even a playing field as possible.

It's why I've never backed any of them. I could afford some of their upper tiers and set myself up to start with special status or advantage but what's the fucking point? That in and of itself is shit game design.

Well... we’re not really sure if it is a problem because none have came out *ducks*
    [Deleted User]
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    edited September 2019
    AnOldFart said:

You count immediate harm as physical but actual online bullying and online mental abuse accounts for alot more deaths than physical abuse following online contact.

And for that there is tools, someone being bullied should feel ok to report it knowing the Devs will deal with it in a swift and decisive action.
    I don't mean to trivialize online bullying or the pain of its victims. You are right that those harms can go beyond physical injuries.

And I don't fault CoE for trying to combat bullying that may occur in their game. I use "game" charitably to include whatever it is they are working on that they call a game, that looks more to me like a neverending cash shop grab.

I do mean to scoff a little at the hubris required for CoE to think it can control out of game behaviors that may involve CoE players. If I have a real life friend who plays CoE, and assuming I also play it, and I want to tell my friend his mama is fat, well, CoE can get stuffed. If on the other hand I make mama jokes in game, then I guess I am subject to their ToS.  

I guess I am trying to imagine receiving a disciplinary CoE e-mail along the lines of: "You have been determined to have stated to another CoE player who was a guest in the living room of your house that you met his mama at the Macy's day parade, and she was wearing ropes." 
    [Deleted User]

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    bcbully said:
    Iselin said:
    Torval said:
    Iselin said:

Well... we’re not really sure if it is a problem because none have came out *ducks*
    SotA has and yes, it's a problem.
    [Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    edited September 2019
    Amathe said:
    AnOldFart said:

I don't mean to trivialize online bullying or the pain of its victims. You are right that those harms can go beyond physical injuries.

And I don't fault CoE for trying to combat bullying that may occur in their game. I use "game" charitably to include whatever it is they are working on that they call a game, that looks more to me like a neverending cash shop grab.

I do mean to scoff a little at the hubris required for CoE to think it can control out of game behaviors that may involve CoE players. If I have a real life friend who plays CoE, and assuming I also play it, and I want to tell my friend his mama is fat, well, CoE can get stuffed. If on the other hand I make mama jokes in game, then I guess I am subject to their ToS.  

I guess I am trying to imagine receiving a disciplinary CoE e-mail along the lines of: "You have been determined to have stated to another CoE player who was a guest in the living room of your house that you met his mama at the Macy's day parade, and she was wearing ropes." 
    Again... the company literally USED an example of Counts who posted on a Forum that on Day 1 they were overthrowing their "king"(and thereby ruining the game of anyone that supported him) as PR they sent to gaming sites (including this one).  To then object to some other Counts (or Dukes or whatever fancy title they bought) say they will attack other people on day 1 is utterly hypocritical. 
    Post edited by Slapshot1188 on
    Kyleran[Deleted User]AnOldFart

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    Amathe said:
    AnOldFart said:

Again... the company literally USED an example of Counts who posted on a Forum that on Day 1 they were overthrowing their "king"(and thereby ruining the game of anyone that supported him) as PR they sent to gaming sites (including this one).  To then object to some other Counts (or Dukes or whatever fancy title they bought) say they will attack other people on day 1 is utterly hypocritical. 

That was a King that stopped spending though. 

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

anemo said:
    Amathe said:
    AnOldFart said:

Irrelevant. They used outside of game communication (forum) to threaten other players (the "king" and his loyal subjects). Is there some posted rule that says "Caspien's post does not apply if you have not spent X additional money"?

What you have described as a reason (well they ONLY spent $10k and stopped spending more money on a game that is years from release so they should, therefore, lose the $10k worth of stuff they already bought and so should anyone loyal to him) is, IMHO a very twisted perspective. Is this game called Wallets of Elyria?

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Mendel said:

The whole "buy your way to the top" thing that COE uses is completely baffling to me.  What happened to "earn your way"?  But, SBS is committed to the purchase route.

Really, how different would this game be for all players to start at the same level, say an unlanded knight,  with titles and lands to be conquered along the way once you depose the NPC owner.

How would they get funding then? It be one thing if they were an massive company that didn't need crowd funding to survive. Seeing they do, what could they offer that doesn't give people an in game advantage? 

Terrible leaders won't last long anyway, they never do in any kind of pvp games. Hell games in general, the bad leaders are outed quickly. It's more going to be funny watching all these wallet warriors lose their minds when they get removed.
    AnOldFart
  • TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    anemo said:
    Amathe said:
    AnOldFart said:

Irrelevant. They used outside of game communication (forum) to threaten other players (the "king" and his loyal subjects). Is there some posted rule that says "Caspien's post does not apply if you have not spent X additional money"?

What you have described as a reason (well they ONLY spent $10k and stopped spending more money on a game that is years from release so they should, therefore, lose the $10k worth of stuff they already bought and so should anyone loyal to him) is, IMHO a very twisted perspective. Is this game called Wallets of Elyria?

I think your second paragraph was the point?
    anemo
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Caspian is selectively picking games to make it seem like what they are now doing is the natural position. If I were to use any world domination board game in a live setting you get all the deals, threats and shouting imaginable.

But we talked about this before, the team seem clueless about what it means to run a game like this. We figured this out when they got all emotional over a backer taking the piss out of someone else when naming their lord. They don't have a clue about what happens when you put players into a competitive environment with limited resources and far more ability to effect the game world than most MMOs give you.

Finally, perhaps someone has addressed on here what happens if you text someone a threat in game? What happens if I roleplay my lord telling you I am going to raise your forts to the ground, grind your bones to dust and use your skull as a goblet?

I do not agree with this sort of behaviour, roleplaying is often used as an excuse..."I am playing a really nasty bastard so of course his behaviour is nasty." But it seems the team have not realised this is what is going to happen and that I think will be a hallmark of CoE, a failure to realise the consequences of the games design.
    SpottyGekko[Deleted User]tweedledumb99
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited September 2019
    Jamar870 said:
    The game, development all sound like a clusterf**k  to me and a reminder to stay away from crowd funded games.
    It is not the crowd funding that created their financial model or their approach to design and issues arising in the game, that's down to the studio. Having said that I don't put into CF games myself.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    They had to anticipate that in any situation where some human beings have loftier titles/power than other human beings, there is going to be conflict. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT4_Fefew78
    Slapshot1188

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Scot said:

Finally, perhaps someone has addressed on here what happens if you text someone a threat in game? What happens if I roleplay my lord telling you I am going to raise your forts to the ground, grind your bones to dust and use your skull as a goblet?

I do not agree with this sort of behaviour, roleplaying is often used as an excuse..."I am playing a really nasty bastard so of course his behaviour is nasty." But it seems the team have not realised this is what is going to happen and that I think will be a hallmark of CoE, a failure to realise the consequences of the games design.
    Funny you should mention this.  One of the more (in)famous role playing PVP guilds the Undead Lords has taken an interest in this game (NA West it seems) and on the surface appears to be the nasty sort of gankers you're describing. 

My guess is if and when this game launched they've not going to be fun to have  as nearby neighbors.
    ScotbcbullySlapshot1188

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Scot said:

Funny you should mention this.  One of the more (in)famous role playing PVP guilds the Undead Lords has taken an interest in this game (NA West it seems) and on the surface appears to be the nasty sort of gankers you're describing. 

My guess is if and when this game launched they've not going to be fun to have  as nearby neighbors.
    They are a bunch of idiots who try to defend taking an IP and twisting it makes them original...
    edited September 2019
    AnOldFart said:
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:

They are a bunch of idiots who try to defend taking an IP and twisting it makes them original...
    Maybe, but I recommend most people place their claims far from these folks as possible,  (another server preferably) as their history is one of helping to bring PVP centric game worlds to near ruin. (Unless you enjoy this sort of thing of course)

Soon as they realize there's no one left to fight they quickly move elsewhere to continue their scorched earth behaviors.

Next on their list is ArcheAge Unchained....
    Scot

Kyleran said:
    Snip
    Maybe, but I recommend most people place their claims far from these folks as possible,  (another server preferably) as their history is one of helping to bring PVP centric game worlds to near ruin. (Unless you enjoy this sort of thing of course)

Soon as they realize there's no one left to fight they quickly move elsewhere to continue their scorched earth behaviors.

Next on their list is ArcheAge Unchained....
    More than likely, I'm on a totally different server so...

Still got the offer for anyone that if the game launches they can come to my "hamlet", I'll give them a section of a parcel with a profession kit (up to my EP limit), and eventually they can try to become mayor through elections.

Remember I stand down at the first vote
    I told Detherus that if some miracle cane to pass and this got to release that I would roam the countryside of his Kingdom in my Harbinger robe. 

I do have a second free account though.  Not sure it will work well to connect to an EU server.

Your more than welcome