Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Red's Read on Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited September 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageRed's Read on Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey - MMORPG.com

Panned by journalists and loved by gamers, Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey is an unapologetically difficult game on many levels, yet it’s also one of those rare games that is educational while also being entertaining. Red Thomas swings in with his thoughts on the subject, along with some advice for players.

Read the full story here

Comments

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    This game looks painfully boring, Maybe its just those screenshots but jeez. Iv seen more exciting visuals on evolution in a 10th grade science book from the 80s. I don't see this game being a huge success.
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• bobbymcswansonbobbymcswanson Member UncommonPosts: 204
    edited September 2019
    Epic gave it out for free a bit ago.... I'll have to load it up and try it....sounds neato
    JeffSpicoli
  • KiwiHypeKiwiHype Member UncommonPosts: 233

Epic gave it out for free a bit ago.... I'll have to load it up and try it....sounds neato

You might be thinking of Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden that has animals also.
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,789

Pretty sure you are thinking of the wrong game. Ancestors is a NEW game just released.
    Agent_Joseph

Let's party like it is 1863!

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    May I suggest that game articles please disclose in the title whether the game is a mmorpg, mmo, moba, single player - whatever? Or, just say "not so mmo" as Suzie had been doing, if that applies. Or maybe, at least say in the intro?

That information seems to be hiding here. Look at the first paragraph:

"Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey is an awkward title for an awkward game. It makes me think the developers were intentionally trolling members of the media because it’s one of those names that are really difficult to work with when it comes to writing articles. We usually try to make sure the entire name of the game is in the title of the article, and then attempt to repeat the name a hand-full of times through out the length of the article."

No idea from that if this is a multiplayer game.

Second paragraph:

"This game is now known as Ancestors hence forth, and that’s because I gave it a shot and really liked it a whole lot. Today I’m going to be talking a bit about why the game’s been panned a bit in the media and why I happen to like it. I’ll also be expanding on what I like about the game with some tips for new players."

Still nothing on whether this is a multiplayer game.

And so on.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    edited September 2019

Amathe said:

May I suggest that game articles please disclose in the title whether the game is a mmorpg, mmo, moba, single player - whatever? Or, just say "not so mmo" as Suzie had been doing, if that applies. Or maybe, at least say in the intro?

"Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey is an awkward title for an awkward game. It makes me think the developers were intentionally trolling members of the media because it’s one of those names that are really difficult to work with when it comes to writing articles. We usually try to make sure the entire name of the game is in the title of the article, and then attempt to repeat the name a hand-full of times through out the length of the article."

Second paragraph:

"This game is now known as Ancestors hence forth, and that’s because I gave it a shot and really liked it a whole lot. Today I’m going to be talking a bit about why the game’s been panned a bit in the media and why I happen to like it. I’ll also be expanding on what I like about the game with some tips for new players."

And so on.

No basically it's not a multiplayer game, it's single player survival games, you start as a monkey, then tech up become humans, that's the premise of the game. there sum the whole article for you ;)
    Amathe
  • Red_ThomasRed_Thomas Member RarePosts: 666
    Amathe said:

Second paragraph:

And so on.
    ...well... the article was about the things I like about the game and why I think it's been a little misunderstood by several reviewers.    Not sure there's been any misunderstanding on whether it's not multiplayer or not.   Also, not sure why you'd pick a random thing I didn't mention and then scour the rest of the article looking for a mention of that thing that wasn't relevant to what I was talking about?

I also didn't mention whether or not the game was DRM free, available on Steam, or anyone one of several other things not related to why I like the game and think it's been misunderstood.   I mean, the title is "Red's Read..."  As in, my take on the game and what I like about it.
    Hatefull
    Torval said:
    Huh, never heard of it until now. I'm really out of whatever loop. :lol:

It looks pretty, but way too edgy and hardcore for me. Gritty realism sims aren't really my jam. The overall evolutionary concept, especially skill acquisition, sounds interesting though.
    It can be boring for some folks.  Just depends on the sort of game you like.  I personally really dig it a lot.  It's a little slower in pacing than a lot of modern survival-type games, but I think that gives way to this tribe concept that they built into the game and the dopamine mechanic that really makes being too ambitious too fast difficult.

I think it's a super smart and very well designed game, but I would definitely encourage you to watch some vids or something before deciding.
    [Deleted User]Hatefull
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,495
    "If you’re worried about spoilers, you might stop here and skip to the last section of the article. I mean, it’s not like you don’t know the basic plot of the game, so I’m not spoiling that. "

The only thing I know about this game is from this article so... unless I'm missing something, I don't know the basic plot of the game. I'll go somewhere else to find out about that, I guess.
  • NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861
    Amathe said:

Second paragraph:

And so on.
    ...well... the article was about the things I like about the game and why I think it's been a little misunderstood by several reviewers.    Not sure there's been any misunderstanding on whether it's not multiplayer or not.   Also, not sure why you'd pick a random thing I didn't mention and then scour the rest of the article looking for a mention of that thing that wasn't relevant to what I was talking about?

I also didn't mention whether or not the game was DRM free, available on Steam, or anyone one of several other things not related to why I like the game and think it's been misunderstood.   I mean, the title is "Red's Read..."  As in, my take on the game and what I like about it.
    In Amathe's defense I would say it matters because this site is theoretically dedicated to MMO games.  I mean, it's even in the name of the site.  So if you are reviewing a game that's not an MMO it would make sense to mention that bit of information.  It's kinda automatically relevant considering the site you are doing the review for.
    AmatheJeffSpicolionelesslightEggonomicon
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Amathe said:

Second paragraph:

And so on.

It's Red's read. Red can comment on whatever he wishes. No argument there. Since you ask, I kept reading your article hoping to discover whether the game is multiplayer (because if it is, that interests me, and if it isn't, it doesn't). If you mentioned it, I didn't make it that far.

So don't worry. It's cool. I thought you might want some reader feedback, but it seems you don't. So I won't waste your time with any more. And I will skip over your articles. 
    AlomaronelesslightHatefullSandmanjw

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• seldinseldin Member UncommonPosts: 196

Amathe said:

Amathe said:

Second paragraph:

And so on.

It's Red's read. Red can comment on whatever he wishes. No argument there. Since you ask, I kept reading your article hoping to discover whether the game is multiplayer (because if it is, that interests me, and if it isn't, it doesn't). If you mentioned it, I didn't make it that far.

So don't worry. It's cool. I thought you might want some reader feedback, but it seems you don't. So I won't waste your time with any more. And I will skip over your articles. 

I agree with Amathe. I read the article as well looking for just some basic info about the game since it is not one I had heard of and was intrigued. I would think that some basic background information about a game that you are discussing would help readers especially new/niche games that readers may have missed. It is not like it is a game that most every reader should know about such as WoW, EQ, etc...
    AmatheEggonomicon
  • EggonomiconEggonomicon Member UncommonPosts: 33
    I agree, it is Mmorpg.com so be nice to clearly state mmo or not. Frankly I dont care about non mmo games, and I really dont care about single player games.

But that is my preference.
    Amathe
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Wow...he gave you the name of the game and his review...google the game and discern any information you feel you need. Had Red titled his piece: The comprehensive Review of Ancestors answering every question you may have...you might have a leg to stand on, but it's not, it an opinion piece on what HE likes or dislikes about the game. Stop playing the victim, and pretending you are helpless. go get your own answers.

Having said that, the game looks very interesting and worth a look. In my opinion.
    Agent_JosephSandmanjw

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• EhliyaEhliya Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Once you discover how to use bone tools, you should be rewarded with a cutscene where you throw the jawbone spinning into the air and it turns into a revolving space station.
    GroqstrongHatefullAgent_JosephIselinRed_Thomas
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455

This game looks painfully boring, Maybe its just those screenshots but jeez. Iv seen more exciting visuals on evolution in a 10th grade science book from the 80s. I don't see this game being a huge success.

You're not wrong. I've watched some videos of people playing this and it looks both boring and tedious. Hard pass.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

In Amathe's defense I would say it matters because this site is theoretically dedicated to MMO games.  I mean, it's even in the name of the site.  So if you are reviewing a game that's not an MMO it would make sense to mention that bit of information.  It's kinda automatically relevant considering the site you are doing the review for.
    Fair point, but it's MMO...RPG.    There are a fair number of RPGs, which I think this sort of qualifies as.

Though... maybe I shouldn't have written about it.   It's fair to point out that it's not exactly an RPG and it's definitely not an MMO.

Yeah, I'll take that shot.   Mea Culpa.
    Amathe said:

No, you were right to call me out.  As @N@Neanderthal pointed out, it's MMORPG and it's fair to expect MMOs and RPGs, and since it's only kind of the one, you might expect the other.   I shouldn't have gone weapons-hot on the comment, and I apologize.

That wasn't really the purpose to writing the article, though.  I'm not trying to describe it or try to get you to buy it.  It's not a review or an ad.   It's a commentary on the specific topic of what I think has been missed by several folks reviewing the game.... who now that I think about it, I don't think mentioned whether it was SP or MP either...   Actually, I'm not sure I've ever made it a point to mention that in any article unless it was tangentially relevant to some specific point I was making.

I'm going to have to think about that a little, because I don't think I've ever had anyone ask that before and I definitely have never made it a point to discuss it.
  • SandmanjwSandmanjw Member RarePosts: 526

Hatefull said:

Wow...he gave you the name of the game and his review...google the game and discern any information you feel you need. Had Red titled his piece: The comprehensive Review of Ancestors answering every question you may have...you might have a leg to stand on, but it's not, it an opinion piece on what HE likes or dislikes about the game. Stop playing the victim, and pretending you are helpless. go get your own answers.

Having said that, the game looks very interesting and worth a look. In my opinion.

Umm google a game after reading an article about a game to find out about a game....

Do not care what type article we read here...but if you have to turn around and google the freaking game, the writer has failed so bad at BEING a writer they should never try again.

Now i am not saying that about Red, but about this quoted post...just wow..

As to this article...both Red and those that are wanting articles to list in some way what type the game is in a general sense are worth doing.

I really enjoy red's take on all type of games so not saying what is MMo, RPG, Single player, and such really does not bother me. Others would like to know form the start if they would be interested in reading an article. Both valid.

Red has some good takes on many types of games IMO, so taking some feedback and making people that frequent this place on adding some brief category in title or first paragraph can only help make both sides happier.

On this game it does not sound like i would enjoy it. I would get frustrated rather than enjoy having to find i had overlooked different aspects that would make things work. Too much like a puzzle game i guess. Hate em:)

Red_Thomas
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    I'd play the heck out of similar game if it was about Homo Sapiens during Neolithic period. Those people conquered the whole planet having only stone tools and sticks.

Thank you for your time!

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Would it have killed them to make it slightly more "gamy" by auto-saving every few minutes and having a disastrous outcome set you back just slightly instead of immensely?

The fun in this game is in discovering new advancements. And that part of it is grindy enough without adding the frustration of what essentially amounts to forced permadeath.

I give them an A for originality and subject matter as this type of game would definitely appeal to me but I'm not willing to go through the frustration of re-starting from scratch after every fail even if it's just from a game glitch (many examples in other reviews of such glitches wiping out your whole troop while you watch helplessly.) I also absolutely hate QTEs in games and that's all you can do against predators here. So it sounds very much like an F for gaming to me.

[Deleted User]kenguru23
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Ehliya said:
    Once you discover how to use bone tools, you should be rewarded with a cutscene where you throw the jawbone spinning into the air and it turns into a revolving space station.
    No kidding...  I was REALLY hoping to see that.
    Iselin said:
    Would it have killed them to make it slightly more "gamy" by auto-saving every few minutes and having a disastrous outcome set you back just slightly instead of immensely?

The fun in this game is in discovering new advancements. And that part of it is grindy enough without adding the frustration of what essentially amounts to forced permadeath.

I give them an A for originality and subject matter as this type of game would definitely appeal to me but I'm not willing to go through the frustration of re-starting from scratch after every fail even if it's just from a game glitch (many examples in other reviews of such glitches wiping out your whole troop while you watch helplessly.) I also absolutely hate QTEs in games and that's all you can do against predators here. So it sounds very much like an F for gaming to me.

Actually, it saves anytime you lay down and access your.... whatever the menu is called.   The one with the neurons you connect to unlock new skills/bonuses.   You don't have to actually change anything, just open the menu and exit.  You'll see the saving notation in the....  top left corner, I think it is.   Auto-saves at other points too, but hopefully that helps out.
  • eunotiaeunotia Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Thank you for reviewing Ancestors. It sounds awesome in that it combines learning with challenges in different ways.
    Red_Thomas