Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HTC Announces Full Details on Vive Cosmos VR Headset - MMORPG.com News

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited September 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageHTC Announces Full Details on Vive Cosmos VR Headset - MMORPG.com News

Big news from HTC this morning. The company has officially taken the veil off their upcoming VR headset and entered the pre-order phase. It's a wholesale improvement over the original HTC Vive, offering improved resolution with less screen door effect, inside-out tracking, and a modular design. Pre-orders will also receive a one-year subscription to HTC's Viveport free-game service, providing a huge amount of content right out of the gate.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,267
    No pricing? HTCs problem has always been the cost of their headsets.
  • sschruppsschrupp Member UncommonPosts: 682

Looks like $699.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Flip up screen sounds like a solid plus though.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• sschruppsschrupp Member UncommonPosts: 682
    Wife and I want to get VR, but we're waiting until there's something good enough to replace our 4k TVs for movies and gaming. Looks like we're getting closer.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071
    Anyone averse to buying a Facebook/Oculus product, I hope you're paying attention.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 786

sschrupp said:

Looks like $699.

100% my bad. I failed to hit save after adding that this morning. It's releasing on October 3rd for $699.
    PhaserlightKyleran
  • GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 786
    The Viveport subscription is a solid deal on this one. Every VR headset I've purchased always has follow-up game purchases to see the best of what it has to offer. With this one, you'll essentially have access to a massive library right out of the gate (assuming you pre-order).

sschrupp said:

Looks like $699.

100% my bad. I failed to hit save after adding that this morning. It's releasing on October 3rd for $699.
    Will this be all in one like the Quest or will it require a muscular PC?

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar

• fcweddfcwedd Member UncommonPosts: 196
    VR will never take off with hefty price tags like that. I know a lot of research, development, and materials have gone into this, but it's all for nothing if they can't get that price down.

If a quality VR setup was $199, it would boom. Rift-S is getting closer with their $399 price tag.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041

sschrupp said:

Looks like $699.

Will this be all in one like the Quest or will it require a muscular PC?
    Since it is compatible with the Vive wireless adapter its pretty safe to assume it is wired out of the box. Disappointing to say the least, it might be more powerful with a nifty flipping mechanic but its not the future (for me).

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Phaserlight
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665
    This is a vast improvement on the original, well done. I had alot of fun with the vive, this one looks to change the game again.
    Phaserlight
    "Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
  • ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665
    edited September 2019

fcwedd said:

VR will never take off with hefty price tags like that. I know a lot of research, development, and materials have gone into this, but it's all for nothing if they can't get that price down.

If a quality VR setup was $199, it would boom. Rift-S is getting closer with their $399 price tag.

As they are, stand alone headsets are still too weak to take off. Thier game. Libraries are minuscule by comparison, and it's already been confirmed many hot vr titles on the way won't be ported to the weaker hardware. DOA in my opinion.
    "Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
    ianicus said:

fcwedd said:

As they are, stand alone headsets are still too weak to take off. Thier game. Libraries are minuscule by comparison, and it's already been confirmed many hot vr titles on the way won't be ported to the weaker hardware. DOA in my opinion.
    Hardly.  Out of anything now on the market, I'd be most likely to buy a Go: partly because of the price tag, partly because it natively runs my favorite MMORPG.