Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Start in new or classic with wife

cichy1012cichy1012 Member UncommonPosts: 345
Ok so I started classic by myself  going back to the glory days. Been having lots of fun, when my wife says to me, "I want to play".... Huh????
To make a long story short I started over with her on classic. My question is, should I start new wow in hopes of her sticking with it or old wow with the chance of a grindy game that may turn her off. 
Amathe

Comments

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    If she's a goal oriented person she will be fine in classic. Just make sure you stay away from PvP servers.
    Phry
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    My friend's wife went back to WOW a few months ago and loves the QOL changes the newer version offers and wasn't at all interested in a return to Classic despite playing from 2004 to 2010.

That said, your wife has nothing to compare it with so not really an issue. 

I'd say stick with Classic as both versions have their "grinds" and in either case what are you and your wife grinding towards?

End game PVP,  Raiding or something else? The current version offers a lot more sidebar activities which is one big reason my friend's wife is staying put.
    Sandmanjw

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    stick with classic and if you get bored and want to change to the normal version you can get to the same level as your classic toons in like a day. then progress in the new content.
  • KickaxeKickaxe Member UncommonPosts: 167
    At the risk of being trite, I'll suggest that if she wants a game go current retail, but if she wants a virtual world go Classic.

Also, QoL has been far too conflated with convenience.
  • KrimzinKrimzin Member UncommonPosts: 687
    Steer her toward a Hunter. Great for new players

Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station 
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    My wife was horribly addicted to Vanilla when she tried it.  NO worries there likely.  Also, you can try both with the same sub. . win win.  My wife would be bored with the current game.  She liked how the world seemed large.  The newer version she thought is too much like a "video game".  She has an addictive personality though.  She was obsessive.  I have found myself enjoying classic a lot but I am worried that I "always" want to play.  I haven't felt that since the first time I played it (I skipped everquest after the beta).

Get her to level a class to 10 on both :)

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Arterius said:
    I would say new WoW. I was anticipating WoW Classic and I love a lot about it but some of those QoL changes they made were for the better. I ended up quitting after LVl 22 and going back to retail. Sure retail has its many problems. To many QoL being one thing but at the end of the day I find it to be a much more enjoyable experience over all
    It was the QOL updates that ultimately turned me away. Each one eroding away at the community little by little until all that was left was global chat which was considered the bottom of the barrel in community for vanilla. Not to mention the homogonizing of the classes and gutting of the talent system. I cannot recommended retail to anyone. I would say stick with classic if you want to build friends and accomplish things with a group of like minded individuals.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited September 2019
    Things happen too fast in regular WoW to play as a Duo.....Go with Classic... much better to play together.

Other things to take into account:  
    -Leveling slower is better for playing together. You don't out level the other so much if one one doesn't play for a few days.
    -A new person starting at level one in regular is not as good, it's made for speed leveling and rushing.  The enjoyment factor is not their. 
    -Dungeons in regular will make a new persons head spin, because they run to fast.
    -Friends can be made in Classic.  No one cares in regular.
    -Play DPS, not Healer or Tank.... That way the pressure is off in demanding groups. 
    KyleranScot
  • SandmanjwSandmanjw Member RarePosts: 526
    Why one or the other? There are always times when schedules do not meet. Have her play with you when they do and run another character on new wow when she is solo.

Problem solved and she can determine for herself down the road which she prefers or maybe she will like them both?
    Kyleran
  • AxxarAxxar Member UncommonPosts: 104
    I would say Classic for new players as the game starts getting interesting very early on instead of only at max level. Also a lot less confusing to get into without a ton of expansion baggage.
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,122
    cichy1012 said:
    Ok so I started classic by myself  going back to the glory days. Been having lots of fun, when my wife says to me, "I want to play".... Huh????
    To make a long story short I started over with her on classic. My question is, should I start new wow in hopes of her sticking with it or old wow with the chance of a grindy game that may turn her off. 
    Describe the two options to her, and ask which she'd rather do. Alternatively, instead of just asking you could alternate between both for awhile so that she could express her desire on some personal experience.

Including her in the process will work out far better than just making that decision on your own, I expect. She will be much more invested in the choice finally made.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,818
    edited September 2019
    I do love it when we give advice that can effect marriages to random people on the internet. :)

Was the missis a gamer before? If not she is only playing because you are playing and she won't care what version of the game you are playing. Speed of levelling might matter to you it won't to her.

If you used to be in a guild I would recommend re-joining especially if the guild was a social one.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Rhoklaw said:
    Let's see if I understand this correctly. You were playing WoW Classic when your wife told you that she wants to play. How does this lead to a decision between Classic or Retail? Obviously she asked while you were playing Classic right? lol.
    Good question and good catch....... not sure if anyone noticed that :)
  • davchadavcha Member UncommonPosts: 130
    I can't stop wondering if wife is actually trying to find a way to spend more time with husband.... And will ultimately make his gaming experience bad.
    Scot
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I'd say both so she can feel it out. If one of you is busy then there's something for the other to do etc. Its not like you have to pay extra anyway unless your wife wants to play bfa, then she'll have to buy that.