Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Damage Meters - Yah or Nay?

AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
I came across this YouTube discussion of whether damage meters would be good or bad in Pantheon:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PantheonMMO/comments/cg7f0h/damage_meters_in_pantheon/

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Comments

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Wow.. the game is not even live yet, and people are already trying to see how a big an asshat they plan to be.

This game is Looking better and better..
    jimmywolf
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Don't kill the messenger. I'm just sharing stuff I found.
    Ungood

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    I think it's just going to alienate class that are not dps. Look you are a tank you are useless, look you are a healer you are useless, look you are a crowd control you are also useless. but in all fairness people will probably create their own parsing to measure their dps anyway.
    jimmywolf
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    I think it's just going to alienate class that are not dps. Look you are a tank you are useless, look you are a healer you are useless, look you are a crowd control you are also useless. but in all fairness people will probably create their own parsing to measure their dps anyway.
    I'm not sure you understand what type of game this is.
  • vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    Utinni said:
    I'm not sure you understand what type of game this is.
     I'm talking about damage meter. 

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,848
    Damage meters are just a tool, what you do with it is entirely up to you and the community.

You can read a book and learn from it or you can hit someone in the head with it.

And if the Pantheon community use damage meters to harass and demean then the community is just bad and will find some other way to harass and demean without damage meters.
    jimmywolfRueTheWhirl
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited August 2019
    Meters dont have a real place in a heavily role based game. They can be useful to track certain things but ultimately, general people cant use them as they are intended, thus will result in ppl QQ'ing about a class that is built specifically for CC/Buffing/etc doesn't do as much damage. FFXIV is honestly having this problem atm with DNC (honestly had this problem since 2.0 with bard). People can't understand that the job's damage is lower than most other DPS because it gives another DPS 10%ish increase to damage. NIN has this problem too I suppose because its currently doing comparable damage to DNC and does have a dmg increase debuff but its melee so the damage will only be comparable to DNC if it can keep 100% uptime. All-in-all, general people can't accept that certain classes are just not meant for certain things, which is a common point of contention for people that recount their 'bad' experiences with a game like FFXI.
    Hatefull
  • svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    edited August 2019
    Damage meters are sometimes useful not just for measuring personal performance and which combination is stronger, but also for measuring whether the abilities are working as intended or not.  Broken abilities have been discovered using parsers, then reported and fixed.  Not allowing us to see the actual damage of our abilities is a very bad idea.

As to the fear that people will be asshats - the solution is to stop grouping with asshats.  You arent going to make them different by taking their parser away.
    Post edited by svann on
    jimmywolf
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    I am all good with meters for people to see how they are doing for themselves.  I don't like them when they are used to berate someone who is still learning or has actual physical disabilities an doesn't hit that high dps number.  Personal would like being able to see other peoples numbers removed from all games.  You should be able to see how you do so you know if you are putting out decent dps, but you don't need to know what everyone in a group is doing to be honest.  The only people that look at them constantly are the elitist that think they are the best when they are usually the worst to play with.
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    When raid leaders ask if everyone has their damage meter add-ons installed. I lie and say yes.

Hatefull
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • TwoTubesTwoTubes Member UncommonPosts: 328
    edited August 2019
    I'm sure you can all go dig up the infamous thread on the Pantheon forums about dps meters from a few years back that ended up getting closed down.  It was quite long and devolved into bickering in the end but, there is at least some good discussion there.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Damage meters are a great tool to tweak your own rotation.

The problems come in when they peep other people's damage and when they have a built in ability to broadcast that in chat. In ESO they blocked the peeping into other's damage in their Addon API although you can still see the global damage and yours as a percentage of that.

Not a perfect solution but it put a stop to most of the PUG asshattery. 
    gunklackersvannEronakisOGDeathRowKyleran
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    I fail to see the point of damage meters.

I dont want my interface to display more numbers than absolutely necessary.

This is after all a fantasy world - and I dont want it to look like a plane cockpit instead, thank you very much.

Sovrathbcbullyjimmywolf
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Iselin said:

Maybe part the problem is actually having a "rotation." How deadly dull. 
    anemoGeekyKyleranjimmywolfRueTheWhirlcheeba
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Sovrath said:
    Iselin said:

I understand that some people don't care about playing their characters optimally. They're there for the sights and sounds and socializing. That seems dull to me, but whatever floats your boat.

I want to play difficult content and pull my weight in groups whether I'm healing, tanking or doing damage. Anyone who does that kind of content - and there are many of us - cares about rotations.
    moshra
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

edited September 2019
    Iselin said:
    Sovrath said:
    Iselin said:

I understand that some people don't care about playing their characters optimally. They're there for the sights and sounds and socializing. That seems dull to me, but whatever floats your boat.

I want to play difficult content and pull my weight in groups whether I'm healing, tanking or doing damage. Anyone who does that kind of content - and there are many of us - cares about rotations.
    But there shouldn't be rotations. "if one does x, y and z then they are optimal." 

Combat should have surprises. A player should have to gauge the battle, make decisions in the moment.

I would think that any good combat system would make it so that if a person had a rotation then the ai would take advantage of that. 

But sure, if people want to plug in some rotation and rinse and repeat then great. Whatever floats their boat. But I think it's a problem with game design.

However, to play devil's advocate on that point, I wonder if having it makes the game more accessible to those who aren't capable of quick decisions, thinking in the moment?

bcbullyAdamantinecheeba

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    There were some SWTOR web parsers that even measured and took into account how fast you move from one button to the next. This stuff is crazy these days.

Sovrath said:
    Iselin said:
    Sovrath said:
    Iselin said:

But there shouldn't be rotations. "if one does x, y and z then they are optimal." 

Combat should have surprises. A player should have to gauge the battle, make decisions in the moment.

I would think that any good combat system would make it so that if a person had a rotation then the ai would take advantage of that. 

But sure, if people want to plug in some rotation and rinse and repeat then great. Whatever floats their boat. But I think it's a problem with game design.

However, to play devil's advocate on that point, I wonder if having it makes the game more accessible to those who aren't capable of quick decisions, thinking in the moment?

That's nonsense. Games with good battle systems have complex rotations with a lot of situational if/then alternatives. I think the problem is your misunderstanding that rotations imply brain dead simplicity. They don't. There are simple ones in simple games and more complex ones in complex games as well.

And there are always better and worse ways of reacting to situations and sequencing your response. Good rotations are an intelligent optimal response to game stimulus as opposed to just throwing shit out there and hoping something works.
    OGDeathRowHatefullXarkosvannbcbullyjimmywolf

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    100% for damage/healing meters. The amount of people who basically afk in raids in oldschool mmos is insane. 
    LackingMMOXarkojimmywolf
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I like the idea of being able to see your total damage, but I don't like the idea of seeing everyones damage. It brings forth the toxic players who want everyone to play the game optimally, and kick people who aren't doing very well or at least make a stink that the player isn't doing good. Ideally that player could look at it, and maybe after tell the other player what they did wrong but that would never work. 
    edited September 2019
    Iselin said:

Well,  maybe that's why I do better with "action combat" or any combat that is more reflex/aim driven.

Though I'll add, it still seems pretty brain dead. This situation? Do this ad nauseum. It changes? do this ad nauseum.

But again, I guess I just don't get it.

• OGDeathRowOGDeathRow Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Iselin said:
    Sovrath said:
    Iselin said:
    Sovrath said:
    Iselin said:

That's nonsense. Games with good battle systems have complex rotations with a lot of situational if/then alternatives. I think the problem is your misunderstanding that rotations imply brain dead simplicity. They don't. There are simple ones in simple games and more complex ones in complex games as well.

And there are always better and worse ways of reacting to situations and sequencing your response. Good rotations are an intelligent optimal response to game stimulus as opposed to just throwing shit out there and hoping something works.
    +1 for this person

I can play sub optimal and have fun, but sometimes you gotta bring out the big guns to benifit the rest of the people you are raiding/grouping with.
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Yes, for me is a big yes, especially in WoW. 

Last night, in a group of irl friends we were doing a dungeon, and normally, I was top dps. However, this run, I saw that one of my friends was out damaging me in almost every fight. This situation then lead to a funny ..DPS race for the entire dungeon. 

Point is, Damage Meter is very good to see how well you are doing in a dungeon compared to others and if you are struggling, then there is good reason that you are doing something wrong, which will lead you to search the internet and get to know your class/spec/etc better. 

Another exemple is, I was doing a SM Lib run with randoms and there was this warlock which I ( as a tank ) would out damage him in almost every fight. This lead to several wipes because we lacked damage by lot. 

Normally, the ones who are against damage meters are the ones who goes by "is a game, relax". Yes, it is a game, but do your job well , or else go play with friends or solo and don't ruin other's run by not wanting to actually play your class as it should be. Wanna play it on your own peace? Again, go solo! Nothing wrong to do that, but .. messing dungeon run's with other people, is just bad. 

Is nothing "elitism" in here. Is like playing Counter Strike, LoL, etc and you just go in without a strategy, and .."suicide" yourself because.."is just a game and you are playing it for fun". 
    OGDeathRowShaighHatefulljimmywolf

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    matters little if people like or don't, the ones who want to use will make a mod for such, just get used to it
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451
    I am not a fan of damage meters because it ends up turning the game into a contest to see who does the most damage.

Who is the best tank, well the one who does the most dmg.
    Who is the best healer, well the one who does the most dmg.
    Who is the best support/CC, well the one who does the most dmg.

Aka this above is pure stupidity but it is how the community in general works when parsers are involved.

In a game like pantheon hopefully it is more of a game where Maximizing dps 100% of the time is not the best way to go. More like the FFXI or Older model where a dps going full out 100% of the time is literally just going to pull agro and die a horrible death. I am a not a fan of the current model of Tanks pull unlimited threat. Aka FFXIV where tanks generate around 10xs the threat of a dps, auto attacks can almost hold threat in that game.......
    alkarionlogacidbloodjimmywolf