Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest II Prelude Event Live, Leads Into Upcoming Expansion - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited September 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageEverQuest II Prelude Event Live, Leads Into Upcoming Expansion - MMORPG.com

EverQuest II's unannounced, yet upcoming expansion is getting a prelude event, one that will have players taking part in new quests and adventures in the historic MMO.

Read the full story here

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Although Wow and EQ2 are like brother and sister,i always enjoyed EQ2 a lot more because there was always some level of intrigue ,rather than straight forward,there is your marker go kill mobs.
    Like the time i was lost,no idea what to do,not realizing my quest took me underground through a well,i never figured having to jump into the well.
    Once there no real escape,fight some vampires for an awesome cloak.

However what all these clones share is a problem of TOO many zones.Each zone has way too many quests because each was part of an individual expansion,hence why i can't stand questing for xp and doesn't even make sense.
    XP should be a indication of your SKILL,not as a quester.

This event might be a bit of fun but i am not logging in to try and remember how to get to Kylong plains then to find the event.

I honestly don't think i could ever play a questing game again,the design does not make sense,i have to have xp come from using your skills in combat.Besides that,i am not interested in a new expansion that will lead me to a raid battle that i cannot achieve,so would be a waste of money.
    HluillRennisa

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209

Wizardry said:

Although Wow and EQ2 are like brother and sister,i always enjoyed EQ2 a lot more because there was always some level of intrigue ,rather than straight forward,there is your marker go kill mobs.

Like the time i was lost,no idea what to do,not realizing my quest took me underground through a well,i never figured having to jump into the well.

However what all these clones share is a problem of TOO many zones.Each zone has way too many quests because each was part of an individual expansion,hence why i can't stand questing for xp and doesn't even make sense.

This event might be a bit of fun but i am not logging in to try and remember how to get to Kylong plains then to find the event.

I honestly don't think i could ever play a questing game again,the design does not make sense,i have to have xp come from using your skills in combat.Besides that,i am not interested in a new expansion that will lead me to a raid battle that i cannot achieve,so would be a waste of money.

wow didnt have go to your marker quests when it launched bb.
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    edited September 2019

Utinni said:

Wizardry said:

wow didnt have go to your marker quests when it launched bb.

IIRC it wasn't until WotLK that an addon came out with quest location markers; so 2 expansions in and even then it wasn't official. By that point though WoW kind of needed it as it's questing had devolved to point of go to hub > get 10 quests > kill 100 things > hand it all in > repeat at next hub... I'm kind of surprised at how few quests there are in Classic, and how rewarding most of them are (especially compared to the utterly pointless busy work that is 'questing' in most modern MMOs).

As for EQ2, I could never get into it... it just felt clunky and needlessly complicated (it also looked ugly and ran badly, at least on the PC I had back in the day).
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    definitely your pc, looked great and ran fine on mine BUT back in the day you had to have a pretty beefy pc to run good.

I always have a place for eq2 but I don't know if I could go back and see what has happened to it since I left. I kind of want my memories to be of how it was.. not how it is now. I tried a few times and couldn't stay with it. Every now and then I will load it up just to see my characters and the house I had lol. Maybe this'll be the expansion to bring me back but like Wizardry said, trying to figure out where everything is again and trying to remember which skills do what, figure the builds.. we will see.
    HluillTiller
  • RennisaRennisa Member UncommonPosts: 49

definitely your pc, looked great and ran fine on mine BUT back in the day you had to have a pretty beefy pc to run good.

I always have a place for eq2 but I don't know if I could go back and see what has happened to it since I left. I kind of want my memories to be of how it was.. not how it is now. I tried a few times and couldn't stay with it. Every now and then I will load it up just to see my characters and the house I had lol. Maybe this'll be the expansion to bring me back but like Wizardry said, trying to figure out where everything is again and trying to remember which skills do what, figure the builds.. we will see.

They also misjudged the market for hardware development. The engine originally was designed to be more CPU intensive as they seemed to assume that CPU would keep advancing at a faster pace than graphics cards.

Played at launch and again a few times over the years. Loved EQ back in the day and I felt EQ2 delivered a proper sequel at least in the look and feel of the classes, races and environments. Which was enough for me.
  • elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Ugh....so tempted.  But everytime I play I enjoy for a day or 2 and then one of 2 things happens.  I either a. start a new character and get bored with the LONG road to cap while maintaining AA points, mostly because it's all solo or 2.  I play a boosted or level cap character and cant kill a mob due to my gear being severely outdated and my skills barely touching regular overworld mobs.  

This game needs a combat overhaul and a better way to get one into endgame content or even just the endgame leveling content better so it's not overly frustrating to new folk or long time returners.
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,853

elocke said:

Ugh....so tempted.  But everytime I play I enjoy for a day or 2 and then one of 2 things happens.  I either a. start a new character and get bored with the LONG road to cap while maintaining AA points, mostly because it's all solo or 2.  I play a boosted or level cap character and cant kill a mob due to my gear being severely outdated and my skills barely touching regular overworld mobs.  

This game needs a combat overhaul and a better way to get one into endgame content or even just the endgame leveling content better so it's not overly frustrating to new folk or long time returners.

Yeah, Ive tried about every other expansion to return to EQ2 and just cant. Dont think I will ever play it again at this point.

EQ2 needs a serious ....everything overhaul.

This absolute mess of a game is what happens when you just keep adding more more more without any thought put in.
    elocke
  • itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    This is also spawning a new EQ1 progression server by the way.

Starts in HoT and toons start off level 85.
    [Deleted User]

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    So, I went back into it anyway, lol because I'm bored with WoW classic and found a cool guild on Halls of Fate, rolled a defiler to start over and I plan to just level normally till it gets difficult, not sure what level range that is, and then at that point I'll dive in harder with more crafting and zone clearing, etc.  to hopefully overcome these odd potency, fervor and resolve stats that apparently hinder new players at endgame.  Normal content mind u, not even just the heroic and raid content.  We'll see how long this lasts.  Hopefully the new expack coming will address some of it.