Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Upgraded from a 1080 to a 2080 and now BSOD

MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
edited September 2019 in Hardware
I recently got a sweet deal on a 2080 and have installed it.  The card is the following:

My system now BSOD, only when I play games (have not been able to duplicate it yet with synthetic benchmarks).  I have a g-sync high refresh rate monitor but I understand that those issues have been resolved. I tried multiple times reinstalling the drivers, from scratch.  I have verified the issue does not persist if I put my old 1080 back in.  The issues usually takes hours to manifest of straight gaming. 

Here is the BSOD (3 times) info: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Driver: ntoskrnl.exe
Crash address: ntoskrnl.exe+93ca0
Address in stack: ntoskrnl.exe+a20e9

Bug Check Code: 0x0000003b
Parameter 1: 00000000`c0000017
Parameter 2: fffff800`03abe58c
Parameter 3: fffff880`0cc45fd0

I also had the following error one time.  PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Driver: ntoskrnl.exe
Crash address: ntoskrnl.exe+93ca0
Address in stack: ntoskrnl.exe+16d7b2

Bug Check Code: 0x00000050
Parameter 1: ffffffff`ffffffe8
Parameter 2: 00000000`00000000
Parameter 3: fffff800`02f52c89

I am not real familiar with windows dump files so if there is some specific piece of information that I should be presenting let me know. 

I still have both cards, but I am looking at returning the 2080 this weekend.  I want to make sure I have exhausted all options though.  Has anyone come across this issue, and what if anything did they do to solve it. 

Currently I am still using Windows 7.  I have a multi-monitor setup, but only one is high refresh with G-sync.  I have not disabled g-sync or the high high refresh, because it that is the solution I am taking the card back so I see no real value in doing that.

I might try only using my 60hz monitor that is not g-sync and see if I still have the issue.  I would take some effort and am I not sure it would tell me anything other than the card has to go back. 

EDIT NOTE:
The card was an open box item from Microcenter.  They may be willing to do a replacement with a new card.  The store is about an hour from me though and I don't want to drive there and back if the issue is not resolvable with a new card.  If this card is just bad, I don't mind.  So what I am really trying to determine is if the card is bad or if their is a compatibility issue that I am not willing to work around. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

Post edited by MMOman101 on

Comments

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    If you are dropping when you just start gaming it's two possible things.  Your PSU doesn't have the power or rail to support the power draw it is doing, you missed a plug or plugged in two slots into the same rail.  If this card (not sure, forget and not looking) has two slots you need to use two different rails or the power draw is off one rail which doesn't work.  The last would be heat, but my guess would be the PSU since you BSOD instead of just shutoff.
    JeffSpicoliOzmodan[Deleted User]
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
    Hashbrick said:
    If you are dropping when you just start gaming it's two possible things.  Your PSU doesn't have the power or rail to support the power draw it is doing, you missed a plug or plugged in two slots into the same rail.  If this card (not sure, forget and not looking) has two slots you need to use two different rails or the power draw is off one rail which doesn't work.  The last would be heat, but my guess would be the PSU since you BSOD instead of just shutoff.
    I am pretty sure it is not heat or power.  I ran synthetic tests where I OC the card and pushed it for well over 30 minutes and brought the card to the highest temp I had.  There were no issues.  I would assume that test would have duplicated the issue.

My working hypothesis right now is there is some bad GDDR on the card and when it gets addressed/read a failure happens and I get the BSOD.  I did have it Blue screen one time as soon as I started a game also. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

DMKano said:
    "Currently I am still using windows7"

Found your issue.

Seriously- ntoskernel handles driver interactions - I bet you this is a combination of 2080 and win7 driver issue.

Are 2080s even win7 certified?

--John Ruskin

DMKano said:
    MMOman101 said:
    DMKano said:

Found your issue.

Seriously- ntoskernel handles driver interactions - I bet you this is a combination of 2080 and win7 driver issue.

Only win 64bit I see.

Do you have a spare drive where you could run win10 and see if the issue happens on win10 as well?
    My OS is on an NVMe now so it would not be apples to apples.  I could probably one that test, but I really don't want to go to Windows 10. 

--John Ruskin

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    I agree with DM Kano, a most probable Windows 7 issue.   Why are you still running Win 7 when it is not going to be supported much longer?  Windows 10 is so much better and has a lot less driver issues.
    [Deleted User]
  • bentrimbentrim Member UncommonPosts: 299
    edited September 2019
    I would check memory, could very well be a bottleneck issue. Even with win7 alone, and games today take a lot of mem. to operate. I would say a min. of 32mb...DDR3 to operate effectively.
    bentrim said:
    I would check memory, could very well be a bottleneck issue. Even with win7 alone, and games today take a lot of mem. to operate. I would say a min. of 32mb...DDR3 to operate effectively.
    Have to disagree, anything over 16gb is overkill unless you have a very specialized need for it.  I don't think his problem is a memory issue either.
    TheDarkrayne
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    It really is time for people to ditch Win7 so you might as well start with that, as suggested. Even if it isn't what's causing the problem, it's what needs to be done anyway.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • SandmanjwSandmanjw Member RarePosts: 526
    Would try to return. Never a good idea to buy an expensive vid card like that with open box. 

Most likely has been returned for issues before.  Places that do open box will often just put them back out for sale without a thorough check to make sure they work.  

Most often issues with vid cards are drivers, power, or heat. 

For BSOD though...i would agree with Kano...sounds like a win 7 issues, try to find a friend with a decent computer and try the card in their system before you bother going the win-10 route if you really do not want to go yet.

Ozmodan
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited September 2019
    If you changed nothing else other than just swapped out a 1080 for a 2080 I would suspect the card first.

The power requirements are actually pretty similar for both cards (the 2080 does draw a bit more but not a lot more) and it's the same 2 X 8 pin connections for both cards. And you can of course ignore people dissing Win7: it ran your 1080 so of course your 2080 will be just fine as well. It would make as much sense to blame your mouse as Win7 in this case.

I'd take the card back and swap it and see how that goes.

OzmodanSandmanjw
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    To me, that sounds like a slightly unstable overclock.  That's always a risk when you have a big factory overclock like that.  As Sandman said, it's possible that the previous person returned it for the same reason, and that's why it was open box.

Power probably isn't the problem, as that would tend to manifest itself faster.  But just to be sure, what power supply do you have?

I wouldn't suspect Windows 7 as being the underlying problem.  Not yet, at least.  Nvidia knows that there are still a lot of gamers using Windows 7, and that they need to support it in drivers.  Windows 7 should be fine...

...for another four months.  After that, it goes off support.  I wouldn't expect that to cause driver problems, but it could easily cause malware problems.  Once Windows 7 goes off support, security holes that are found won't still be patched.  At that point, rather than racing to exploit zero-day security issues before they get patched, malware writers can take their sweet time, knowing that the patch is never coming.
    alkarionlog
  • skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,179
    edited September 2019
    MMOman101 said:
    DMKano said:

Found your issue.

Supported products on that page don't include the RTX series. This link does: https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/150580/en-us

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

Quizzical said:
    To me, that sounds like a slightly unstable overclock.  That's always a risk when you have a big factory overclock like that.  As Sandman said, it's possible that the previous person returned it for the same reason, and that's why it was open box.

Power probably isn't the problem, as that would tend to manifest itself faster.  But just to be sure, what power supply do you have?

I wouldn't suspect Windows 7 as being the underlying problem.  Not yet, at least.  Nvidia knows that there are still a lot of gamers using Windows 7, and that they need to support it in drivers.  Windows 7 should be fine...

...for another four months.  After that, it goes off support.  I wouldn't expect that to cause driver problems, but it could easily cause malware problems.  Once Windows 7 goes off support, security holes that are found won't still be patched.  At that point, rather than racing to exploit zero-day security issues before they get patched, malware writers can take their sweet time, knowing that the patch is never coming.
    I have a seasonic 660 Plat, and I also picked up a seasonic 750 Gold.  Both seem to have the same issue. 

--John Ruskin

Iselin said:
    If you changed nothing else other than just swapped out a 1080 for a 2080 I would suspect the card first.

The power requirements are actually pretty similar for both cards (the 2080 does draw a bit more but not a lot more) and it's the same 2 X 8 pin connections for both cards. And you can of course ignore people dissing Win7: it ran your 1080 so of course your 2080 will be just fine as well. It would make as much sense to blame your mouse as Win7 in this case.

I called Microcenter and asked if they could tell me why the other person returned the card.  They told me they would call me back.  They did not.  I will call back tomorrow.  They told me they keep return data, so I will see if I can get some info from that. 

--John Ruskin

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,118
    MMOman101 said:
    Iselin said:

I called Microcenter and asked if they could tell me why the other person returned the card.  They told me they would call me back.  They did not.  I will call back tomorrow.  They told me they keep return data, so I will see if I can get some info from that. 
    While you are waiting to make the call tomorrow, try installing a fresh Windows on a newly made partition. 

I think it might be some "leftovers" from the previous 1080 driver which somehow, interacts with the new one.

Changing components and keeping the same OS, there are times when you get things.."messed up", and a fresh install of Windows is kinda necessary!
    Ozmodan

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,179
    IceAge said:
    MMOman101 said:
    Iselin said:

While you are waiting to make the call tomorrow, try installing a fresh Windows on a newly made partition. 

I think it might be some "leftovers" from the previous 1080 driver which somehow, interacts with the new one.

Changing components and keeping the same OS, there are times when you get things.."messed up", and a fresh install of Windows is kinda necessary!
    You can just uninstall the driver in safe mode. No need for a full re-install. More importantly it looks like OP is installing the wrong drivers based on the link they provided.
    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

skeaser said:
    IceAge said:
    MMOman101 said:
    Iselin said:

You can just uninstall the driver in safe mode. No need for a full re-install. More importantly it looks like OP is installing the wrong drivers based on the link they provided.
    I didn't use the link provided.  I used geforce experience, the NVDIA tool for detecting OS and getting the most up to date driver.  I only did one manual install it was of the  436.15 driver.  I just grabbed the first link on off google so that we could move past the windows 7 driver comparability. 

--John Ruskin

Still seem to be ignoring the big gorilla in the picture, time to dump Win 7.  
    Iselinalkarionlog
    It is the card.  I talked to Microcenter and they told me they have had multiple returns (more than 3 before me) of this card.  I find that kind of aggravating.  I have never worked retail, so I am not sure if that is common practice.  It seems like very bad practice though.  I would think at some point you have to stop selling the hardware.  I think 3 returns would be enough.  Maybe they need 5. 
    Ridelynn

--John Ruskin

• vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    edited September 2019
    Ozmodan said:
    Yeah I have to agree win 7 is the bottleneck since it is no longer supported by microsoft, he won't get any update for compatibility with the newer hardware.  and the 2080 rtx ray tracing only supported by windows 10 and needed build 1809 at least. if he plug it to windows 7 it probably won't work. people want to see ray tracing at work with rtx 2080, without win 10 all you get is higher fps the graphic itself is no different than a 1080
    alkarionlog
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Ozmodan said:
    Why do you think then that his 1080 worked just fine if Win7 is such a problem?

He has a new card and a new driver. That's where you start troubleshooting not the freaking OS, fffs. Troubleshooting 101.
    OzmodanSandmanjw
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited September 2019
    MMOman101 said:
    It is the card.  I talked to Microcenter and they told me they have had multiple returns (more than 3 before me) of this card.  I find that kind of aggravating.  I have never worked retail, so I am not sure if that is common practice.  It seems like very bad practice though.  I would think at some point you have to stop selling the hardware.  I think 3 returns would be enough.  Maybe they need 5. 
    3 returns for the actual gpu you got? It's definitely not common practice but you did say it takes hours for it to BSOD. They probably weren't able to replicate it so determined it fit for resale.

Chances are the built in overclocking is pushing too far over time and/or pushing your own overclock even further if you used one. I've had a card that did that before and the only way to stop it from doing it was to underclock it back to stock settings to stop the dynamic overclocking.
    IselinIceAge[Deleted User]
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
    MMOman101 said:
    3 returns for the actual gpu you got? It's definitely not common practice but you did say it takes hours for it to BSOD. They probably weren't able to replicate it so determined it fit for resale.

Chances are the built in overclocking is pushing too far over time and/or pushing your own overclock even further if you used one. I've had a card that did that before and the only way to stop it from doing it was to underclock it back to stock settings to stop the dynamic overclocking.
    The multiple returns and the fact I got a  PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA means it is most likely a RAM issue on the card.

They told me it has actually been sold at multiple stores and been to the distribution center multiple times, so I am assuming this card has been sold a minimum of 4 times.  I have no clue what their process is so maybe every return goes to the distribution center. 

I am going to try to get a new in box replacement.  I am not sure they will do that as the card I bought was priced at $515, ~$265 off new pricing.  I had a feeling that price was too good to be true, and it was.

--John Ruskin

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,118
    MMOman101 said:

Exactly this! Card is good. Either the overclocking, or as I said, drivers are messing up, is the reason for the BSOD. 

Several hours to actually get a BSOD means the card is in good condition. Normally, if a GPU is .."broken", you would of see a BSOD within minutes of playing a game. 
    alkarionlog

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    edited September 2019
    MMOman101 said:
    MMOman101 said:

The multiple returns and the fact I got a  PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA means it is most likely a RAM issue on the card.

They told me it has actually been sold at multiple stores and been to the distribution center multiple times, so I am assuming this card has been sold a minimum of 4 times.  I have no clue what their process is so maybe every return goes to the distribution center. 

I am going to try to get a new in box replacement.  I am not sure they will do that as the card I bought was priced at $515, ~$265 off new pricing.  I had a feeling that price was too good to be true, and it was.
    risks of open box hardware, or used goods.

just return and get another, then we can start.

worse case, a full format and reinstall everything from zero, if it was a driver conflict, but then blue screen hardly would happen, and windows saying he recover from a driver problem would happen more often

people cursing win 7 as problem, and saying the microsoft support going down would change anything...

I have computers running on win xp, the sucher never give me problem, now the win 10, fucking hell

at home I'm using win 10 now because I was kinda forced, full new hardware, if I used win 7 they would complain the new cpu is too new for win 7, funny enough that kind of msg only start to happen after a certain update, on win 7, and the computer still run normally, with I belive was a forced issue microsft did to force people to buy win 10 (wouldn't be the first time anyway), but using a i9-9900kf I sure wasn't willing to bet on microsoft not limiting on purpose so I took the hit, for now it works
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.