Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft Classic Review - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited September 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageWorld of Warcraft Classic Review - MMORPG.com

Two weeks ago, Blizzard launched World of Warcraft Classic to the eagerly waiting hordes. With hours long queue times, tweaks to the original launch states of classes and more, players have a beautiful recreation of Vanilla WoW to explore. The result of mashing the old with the new in just the right way is a game which is both frustrating and fun to play.

Read the full story here

Comments

• TehaniTehani Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Good review.

WoW Classic is a great gaming experience.

You find yourself wanting to play every day and when you do you lose track of time.

Loving every minute of it.
    Viper482ScorchienSeelinnikoiOzmodanIceAgelaseritalkarionlogFolmenPanzerbeorne39oriya9and 3 others.
  • zarawerzarawer Member UncommonPosts: 31
    They should change the name form "Classic" to "the loneliness of the long distance runner"
    Viper482DeadSpockSeelinnikoiFolmenNephethSlapshot1188ArleeDrDreamPhryKrematoryand 2 others.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    edited September 2019
    Enjoying the experience, seriously feels like a real MMORPG. Even the simplest quest can be challenging. Frustrating at times, but in a good way. Doesn't feel like nostalgia, but rather a step back in time.
    SeelinnikoiOzmodanacidbloodFolmenNephethDrDreamThupli
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Really enjoying WoW again , leveling a Hunter/Shaman and Druid .. Having a great time with all 3 ..

Its taking up most of my gaming time ....

I know ... its just Nostalgia we've been told ......................right ...?

lol
    SeelinnikoiThupli
  • some-clueless-guysome-clueless-guy Member UncommonPosts: 227
    That guy who said "You think you do but you don't", does he still have a job at Blizzard?
    WhiteLanternSeelinnikoiRemyVorenderFolmenPhryJeroKaneThupli
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    I'm really enjoying my time with classic. I think it has the right amount of frustration that your own skill, mistakes, and choices matter.
    SeelinnikoiScorchienacidbloodFolmen

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    That guy who said "You think you do but you don't", does he still have a job at Blizzard?
    I think eventually he'll still be proven correct after the honeymoon is over.
    vandal5627SeelinnikoipwnasaurusAalamrFolmenJeroKaneBodeanGretiredmjCelcius

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 403
    I keep seeing some talking about honeymoon phase or whatever, I think they miss the main thing this is not just a games classic this is what made mmorpg genre popular and everyone in game I've talk to have long term plans not play just to try/nostalgia.
    By the way to me all it matters is having fun and classic is more fun I ever had and still having since last decade.
    Seelinnikoi
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Kyleran said:
    The population is slightly going down as it normally would have, as people aren't jumping to get on every possible second. I still think there will be a big population playing after the honeymoon phase. The content takes long enough and they will be adding the raids and battlegrounds in over time. Hell, even the world first Ragnaros kill was done by a guild who had been playing classic servers for years. But again, who knows. Maybe for some reason every person who came back to play classic will leave. 
    Seelinnikoi
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited September 2019

DeadSpock said:

I keep seeing some talking about honeymoon phase or whatever, I think they miss the main thing this is not just a games classic this is what made mmorpg genre popular and everyone in game I've talk to have long term plans not play just to try/nostalgia.
    By the way to me all it matters is having fun and classic is more fun I ever had and still having since last decade.

You will run out of things to do though, no matter how much you're enjoying it. There are no content updates. You have to hit a wall eventually.

Sure, there will be a niche group of players that just stick around to amass gold and max every class they can but it won't be anything like the numbers it's got now.

New raid wings are only going to go on for so long.. and, you know, they only appeal to like 5% of the audience anyway.
    SeelinnikoiKyleran
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
    Been playing since day 3 of release Hunter 32 Priest 12 Warrior 9 hmmm and I've been off from work playing non stop, I think it will take me years to get all classes to raiding and all craftings to 300. Also I love competing every quest and getting rep to exalted. 
    I'm an adventurer too I enjoy the journey more than the destination but I do end game eventually. Im.part of a guild close to 600 members maybe 5% of the guild are rushing to get cap and they are around level 40-50 the rest all enjoy the journey more so running out of things to do sounds more like the new games where you hit cap 1st day. You have to be a no life player to hit 60 very fast and run out of things to do.
    Seelinnikoi
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Hard to believe people are actually still enjoying old Wow.  It might have been great 15 years ago, but really people?  It has not aged well at all.  So many better MMO's out there now, even the Asian ones are MUCH better.
    snoockyNephethjohn25301AethaerynBalianWolfiePhrydcindrickretiredmj13lakemmolou
    Ozmodan said:
    Hard to believe people are actually still enjoying old Wow.  It might have been great 15 years ago, but really people?  It has not aged well at all.  So many better MMO's out there now, even the Asian ones are MUCH better.
    It feels like a mmorpg and takes effort compared to new games where you 1 shot everything. 
    OzmodanBalianWolfiePhrymcd6993Thupli
  • snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724
    For only the long travel times I will pass..I enjoyed Classic in the days though...
    OzmodanBodeanG

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

• OGDeathRowOGDeathRow Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Scorchien said:
    Really enjoying WoW again , leveling a Hunter/Shaman and Druid .. Having a great time with all 3 ..

lol
    Thats good, but why are you enjoying it? Basic combat? Outdated graphics? Freedom of character builds against meta that under perform at every angle? Oh, but some will say ya, but its MY build, ok awesome, you came up with subpar choices, good on you for not being good? (not trying to be rude) Spending 20 mins travel from quest hub to quest hub? (speaking of which wasnt this forum plagued with posts about quest hub games being trash? but because this is classic its ok?) Everyone hated on the rails questing for the past several years till this was released? Oh, but theres no quest helper aids in game, wanna know a fact, that only got introduced because people made mods, and it was so widely used it was added to the actually game. Just like calendar events for guilds, used to be a add on. People dont want the help, but the stats show different. 

Theres more to be touched on but i dont wanna make a wall of text, but i mean lets be real here, it is nostalgia for a major portion of the population. Theres 2 things people discuss the majority of the time, that is difficulty and community.

Those will not last, the community WILL thin out, and what happens in a month time when you get your quests in a level 28 in zone for kill elite creatures for a quest, and because the hype is gone theres no one around doing the same quest. Oh, ask your guild, but you cant expect everyone to endure the lengthy travel times to help everyone who needs it. Especially since flying has been removed and mounted ground speed has been set back to needing max level to go max speed. Thats why these types of quests were removed, they stop getting done after a few months, so they become wasted data. People just abandon or avoid them. People dont think elitism kicks in for dungeons when people are on there 5th toon going thru scarlet monastary? I mean, come on, Rag was killed. The mindset of people still remains the same. 

As you get used to the "older" style of mechanics when it comes to combat (difficulty) which is only hard cause ur rocking greens/whites/greys, you will get used to the ins and outs of mass pulling eventually. Go into BFA weraing white gears, see how well you do and hard the game is then. Im not kidding, you have a sub, go get some white gear and head to bfa and tell us how it went. People cry retail WoW is easy, yet most lack mythic raid/challenge mode achievements. 

Dont get me wrong, im glad you and many others are having fun, and im not trying to rain on peoples parades. This may not even be you, you might be a exception to these things i said, but for a huge part of its population, yes it is nostalgia.
    BalianWolfieCoorsliteBodeanGretiredmjViper482Dinasty
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited September 2019
    DeadSpock said:
    Ozmodan said:
    It feels like a mmorpg and takes effort compared to new games where you 1 shot everything. 
    WoW Classic is certainly more challenging than current day WoW.. but out of the other main MMOs popular in the west right now? ESO, GW2, FFXIV? You do not run around 1 shotting everything in any of them and have to be constantly on the move in ESO and GW2 whilst using skills all the time.

I mean, WoW Classic challenge comes down to this... Pull too many mobs, you're dead. Don't pull too many mobs, do your rotation and win.
    OGDeathRowFreelancerND
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Pher0ciousPher0cious Member RarePosts: 487
    edited September 2019

DeadSpock said:

Ozmodan said:

I mean, WoW Classic challenge comes down to this... Pull too many mobs, you're dead. Don't pull too many mobs, do your rotation and win.

Actually, if you're clever and good, frost mages in WoW has been mass pulling and blizzard-ing for fast leveling/farming since 2005.
    Coorslite
    ('''\( ',.:.,' )/''')
  • p4ttythep3rf3ctp4ttythep3rf3ct Member UncommonPosts: 194

Give it time. Every US server this morning (2 hours before downtime) was Low population, a farcry from a week ago.

And to the reviewer who installed an add-on: you are the 'problem'. Add-ons are what started getting added into the game as retai features. Damage Meter in groups ruined WoW community way before LFD/LFR.

Now, honestly, add anything you want, I don't care. But don't clamor about how much everyone wants to be returned to Vanilla when the evidence is clearly supporting that, no, nobody wants Vanilla. They want retail WoW with removed.

As for me, I bought into the hype and subbed. It's ok. It's a basic, kind of relaxing, MMO to play. But I also unsubbed right after I played ESO for a minute. Classic WoW is old, outdated, and kind of clunky compared to PvE appeal and environment of ESO. THAT said, I may sub back to Classic WoW, it is relaxing, after all. /shrug
    HengistPalebane[Deleted User]FreelancerNDretiredmjDinasty

That's just, like, my opinion, man.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    edited September 2019
    I don’t believe the hype. FOMO crowd probably having a blast with it right now though.
    OGDeathRowhalfmystic

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    I'm having a great time with the game. It was fun back in 2004/2005 and it's still fun now.

Personally I enjoy the pace
    acidbloodLazarus71Viper482

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Stop! You're making me homesick.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    edited September 2019

Kyleran said:

How long is 'eventually' though? No game lasts forever and if Blizzard don't update Classic (beyond the all too well known raids) then of course people will start to drift away.

As for "you think you do but you don't", yes, I really, really, do!

It's great having an MMO where:
    - Progression feels like it matters, and milestones feel like a genuine achievement.
    - Good gear drops / rewards can last for 10+ levels.
    - Every instance run is different due to the players and classes involved.
    - I can chose what I want to do when I login instead of having a list of 'daily' chores.
    - It feels like I am playing my class at level 20 instead of only after hitting level cap.
    - The world presents enough danger and inconvenience that people actually help and talk to each other.
    - The world is actually a WORLD and not just a linear series of zones.
    Psym0nCoorsliteretiredmjThupli
  • halfmystichalfmystic Member RarePosts: 535

And to the reviewer who installed an add-on: you are the 'problem'. Add-ons are what started getting added into the game as retai features. Damage Meter in groups ruined WoW community way before LFD/LFR.

This is ignorant. To say addons are the problem are akin to saying growth is the problem. Damage meters simply added a number to already known DPS gates and LFD/LFR missing in MMOs now a days is a joke. To say it builds a community having to spam "LF tank for x dungeon" in LFG channel for 30 minutes is also akin to saying that you're actually going to have a lasting friendship with these randos. The only difference is people feel committed to going in a dungeon after getting it from LFG channel rather than the UI, and sometimes that's not a good thing.

People seem to conveniently forget the shit that came along with finding people in the LFG channel - the WoW community was always toxic and BS. The absence of a LFD/LFR doesn't build a community, you're just forced to type to one another ( usually just "LFM for dungeon" ) and it makes it SEEM like it's more community driven. Nope, just people doing what they need to do in order to get more gear with the same amount of toxicity.

Aalamr
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Scorchien said:

lol
    Thats good, but why are you enjoying it? Basic combat? Outdated graphics? Freedom of character builds against meta that under perform at every angle? Oh, but some will say ya, but its MY build, ok awesome, you came up with subpar choices, good on you for not being good? (not trying to be rude) Spending 20 mins travel from quest hub to quest hub? (speaking of which wasnt this forum plagued with posts about quest hub games being trash? but because this is classic its ok?) Everyone hated on the rails questing for the past several years till this was released? Oh, but theres no quest helper aids in game, wanna know a fact, that only got introduced because people made mods, and it was so widely used it was added to the actually game. Just like calendar events for guilds, used to be a add on. People dont want the help, but the stats show different. 

Theres more to be touched on but i dont wanna make a wall of text, but i mean lets be real here, it is nostalgia for a major portion of the population. Theres 2 things people discuss the majority of the time, that is difficulty and community.

Those will not last, the community WILL thin out, and what happens in a month time when you get your quests in a level 28 in zone for kill elite creatures for a quest, and because the hype is gone theres no one around doing the same quest. Oh, ask your guild, but you cant expect everyone to endure the lengthy travel times to help everyone who needs it. Especially since flying has been removed and mounted ground speed has been set back to needing max level to go max speed. Thats why these types of quests were removed, they stop getting done after a few months, so they become wasted data. People just abandon or avoid them. People dont think elitism kicks in for dungeons when people are on there 5th toon going thru scarlet monastary? I mean, come on, Rag was killed. The mindset of people still remains the same. 

As you get used to the "older" style of mechanics when it comes to combat (difficulty) which is only hard cause ur rocking greens/whites/greys, you will get used to the ins and outs of mass pulling eventually. Go into BFA weraing white gears, see how well you do and hard the game is then. Im not kidding, you have a sub, go get some white gear and head to bfa and tell us how it went. People cry retail WoW is easy, yet most lack mythic raid/challenge mode achievements. 

Dont get me wrong, im glad you and many others are having fun, and im not trying to rain on peoples parades. This may not even be you, you might be a exception to these things i said, but for a huge part of its population, yes it is nostalgia.
    The major difference between current WoW and this is more than just wearing whites and pulling mobs. You say most lack mythic raid / challenge mode achievments, but there's a massive difference between 1 aspect of the game being difficult and the whole game being a lot more unforgiving in choices / playstyles.

Why would anyone go through BFA in whites? The game literally hands you greens almost every NPC kill. I had 50k gold from questing on two characters. Nothing until endgame is even a slight difficulty. It's all just mindless pull as many mobs as you can and go on. They made every single class in BFA feel the same with similar CC's. 

Going on difficulty for a second, lets take hunter. The arguably easiest class to level in classic and compare it to BFA hunters. Classic hunters had to be a specific range to shoot, have to feed their pet or it will do less damage, have to carry around their level specific ammo which is carried in a bag slot, and have to still pull one or two mobs at a time otherwise they can get overwhelmed. I play hunter in BFA and I can tell you right now, I can't die to questing mobs. Literally no way to die. I have no minimum range, I have a pet that can pull agro no matter what, I have insane damage off of my 6 skills I use (compared to the massive amount of skills available in classic), I have a constant flood of new gear at higher levels, I have no issues pulling two huge groups of enemies and just plowing through them, I have a healing skill that can heal a large chunk of my HP. It's just a major difference in game. 

Quest hub / travel time is definitely a point that can be argued that is worse off being classic but I like it still. Traveling from zone to zone made you see what each zone was like. Getting every flight path and making portals to every major city meant you literally never got out to 85% of the world because there was no reason to. You could just sit in a major city, teleport where you needed to go and queue up for a dungeon in the dungeon finder while semi-AFK in town. 

There are definitely players playing for nostalgia, but playing for nostalgia doesn't mean they will leave. I know plenty of people who quit WoW when they started adding in the quality of life things, and removing almost all social aspects of the game. Those people are back, and are playing because of nostalgia. But those people are also not going to quit because they loved the game back when they remembered it. Just because someone is playing for that reason doesn't mean they will quit for that reason. 

You are right, the population will thin out in Classic, but I don't think it will be as big as you think. 
    Borluc[Deleted User]Coorslite
  • tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Disagree with ESO comment. I play mainly single player content. I went from retail WOW to ESO and loved ESO. It has the best single player content of any MMO. However, I loved WOW when it came out and decided to try Classic - and love it again. I do not know why really. WOW is prettier by far but ESO crafting TOWERS over WOW. I hate the walking but with all that said I am spending just an hour a day on ESO and 7 hours on WOW classic. [It helps to be retired :]