Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Complete Newb Questions

dreamer05dreamer05 Member UncommonPosts: 679
I gave this game a try way back when it first launched, and not much of a try at that.  My boyfriend just recently started playing it however, and we were looking at playing together.  How does that work in this game? I know it's very story based, but what if I want to play a Sith and he wants to play a Jedi, can we still play together?  If not, do different classes have different stories? For example, if he wants to play Jedi Knight and I want to play Consular, do we have the same story? Or do we have different stories but can group together and help each other's story along?  Thanks!

"God, please help us sinful children of Ivalice.."

Comments

• BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675
    Can't answer most of your questions, I have always soloed in this game as it is super solo focused.  But I am pretty darn sure you won't be able to play together if you roll on different factions.  Make sure you are either both republic or both empire.  Each class has their own story quest, but there is also a main story quest line on each planet (there are also side quests that are usually skipped these days).  I THINK you can go into each others stories if you are grouped up (but I think you also need to not be the same class).

I know this isn't all that helpful, I just wanted to reply before you rolled on separate factions.  Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can help with the rest.
  • RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    If you choose different factions you won't be able to play together. Outside of that you can group up for almost every single other activity in the game. The different classes each have their own story line missions but you can be grouped for those as well, you just dont get to take part in the cut scene dialog. 

Overall SWTOR is very grouping friendly and it has the best group conversation mechanics in any mmo out there IMHO,

• dreamer05dreamer05 Member UncommonPosts: 679
    Ok great. Thanks guys!

• dreamer05dreamer05 Member UncommonPosts: 679
    One more. If he levels higher than me on the main story quests, can he still come back and help me? Or do we have to stay together?

• brihtwulfbrihtwulf Member UncommonPosts: 975
    He can help you, regardless of level.  And on the "flashpoints", which are essentially dungeons, the levels equalize anyway.  It's a bit easier if you're close in level so the missions don't have to be repeated by one of you, but it's not necessary.  As long as you're the same faction (light/dark side), there's little you can't do together.
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    edited January 2016
    You could only PvP each other with characters on different factions, might be useful to settle domestic disputes ;) Otherwise each class does have a separate story, but the class story progression is for the most part in the same areas. You can level only doing class stories (with a sub anyway, not sure about F2P) One drawback is that if you do your class stories together it will be super easy all the time. Especially if you use your companions.
  • mmorobommorobo Member UncommonPosts: 126
    Also there is a different story line for each class.  You can see (be in) the other persons story, you just can't see what response choices that they made.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    edited January 2016
    dreamer05 said:
    One more. If he levels higher than me on the main story quests, can he still come back and help me? Or do we have to stay together?
    These days everyone scales down to the maximum level of the planet they are on if they've already out-leveled that area. So he'll always be able to come back to help you, without nerfing your XP gain.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• FlintsteenFlintsteen Member UncommonPosts: 282
    The classic stories you can do as a group. The classic story is 8 different stories for the 8 different classes. (4 stories pr. faction) You can enter your friends instanced area and help him complete the story and watch it too.

When you get to Makeb,  there's just 2 stories.  1 story pr. faction. You can still enter instanced areas with friends, but only one of you will complete the quest,  so you need to do it twice,  one time for each of you. Also you need to check a box of "can enter same class quests" in interface somewhere.  (Wording may be different)

In SoR it's basicly the same as Makeb,  only the story for each faction is pretty much the same.

In KotFE it get a little tricky from what i hear.  (dont subscribe so i haven't played it)  You cant enter the instance with your friends by just walking in,  you need to "teleport to player"  It's still as in Makeb and SoR though,  only one of you will complete quests aslong as it's inside instanced areas.

The amount of instanced story on Makeb isn't bad,  it doesn't hinder playing in a group too much.

It's a little worse in SoR if i recall correctly,  but not too bad.  The FP's that are part of the story can be done as a group and both of you will complete,  so that's a good thing.

From what i hear KotFE is pretty bad in that regard.  Most of it is instanced so that doesn't realy promote group play.

The best stories are generelly considered to be the classic stories. Levelling in crazy fast,  so you could skip some story,  but imo dont skip chapter 1-3 classic story. If you want to skip something let it be sidemissions on the planets.. 

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
    If you are the same faction you can both just play each others class stories and get the group xp plus a bit of the planet stuff. The nice thing will be if you roll toons that start on the same planet and go through together.  You will be able to see all of the stories in half the time. 

I think the stories are worth playing.  The general grouping in the game is garbage and so is end game.  Better to play as a single player game or coop game. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528
    There is also another solution.  If one person plays a lot more than another, that person has two characters.  One that is played solo and another character that you group with.  That way you can experience the content together. 
  • LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 542
    Sorry for posting there (but hey, these are wanna-be new questions too).
    Intro: thinking about playing SWTOR f2p. Yes, f2p only. Now up to questions:
    1) How is free gameplay in this game? I mean, in some games you get no access to chat, others limit your levels severely (Istaria...lvl.15), others lock some races/classes.Swtor limits gold, then allows only lvl.50 and something other. How does real feel in real gameplay?
    2) Class: which one is closest to Lotro's Beorning (very good melee) or Minstrel (superior ranged nukes, good self heals)?
    3) What about story-wise things, which class has the best story?
    4) Yes, I know, you make decisions so that light Sith or evil Jedi are an option. Question: are there decisions made on battlefield, like "Kill this NPC in combat and you are more evil", "Destroy this building and you are more good"?
    5) Preferred players (ones who paid for smth) - do they have lvl.50 cap or...?
    6) Housing, Guilds: can I have housing as f2p? What about f2p guilds in real life, they worth something or...?
    So far end of questions. If there are more, I'm afraid I may spam more.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited September 2019
    1) Since you know LotRO, compared to that it's a mixed bag. Overall much more restricted, but in its defense you can play the base content for free (no quest packs like in LotRO after Lone-lands).
    That's the only positive though... restricted gameplay in almost every aspect, and the option of unlocking those restrictions (like the Deeds -> Points in LotRO) is really limited. You can get CCs for free, but only in a measly amount.

In a nutshell, "Yes, f2p only." ain't a good approach to SWTOR, except for a short testrun. If you plan to spend some time in the game, it is strongly suggested to get Preferred. Preferably (pun intended) through a 1 month subscription, just like in LotRO's suggested 1 month sub route.
    SWTOR gives you the older expansions if you sub, and you keep them unlocked after the month is over.

2) Beorning is a versatile and pretty unique class, I can't name any close enough in SWTOR... for melee your pick is mostly reduced to lightsabers, Marauder or Sentinel if you want dps, or their more tanky counterparts if your bear is traited towards Hide (blue).
    Mini, or at least the current, post-Orion mini with god-like ranged dps as a healer, is easier: Commando. (or maybe Merc on the Dark Side, but I like Troopers... fun companions)

3) that's a topic of long debates and discussions. For me, Agent, Trooper and SI are the best, the rest is good, Knight is lacklusting.

4) not directly, decisions are always story decisions. But indirectly, sure. If you decide to kill a character, after that you might have to do it "manually" :)

5) cap is tied to the expansions, not the status. That's why I said above to sub for a month, that unlocks the older expansions to you, whilst going Preferred by spending some money will leave you at 50 since you can't access the expansions.

6) you can have housing as f2p, but only the basics I believe. The money cap locks you out of the best ones...  (can't comment on guilds, sadly)
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Scot
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited September 2019
    He said sorry at the beginning, and I believe it's better for the server too if you don't clog it with hundreds of threads about the same :)
    Imo, in this case it was a valid necro.

(ed: cool gif though)
    Scot
  • NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    1) How is free gameplay in this game? I mean, in some games you get no access to chat, others limit your levels severely (Istaria...lvl.15), others lock some races/classes.Swtor limits gold, then allows only lvl.50 and something other. How does real feel in real gameplay?

-  I'm been totally F2p since it came out.  I can chat, I've leveled over 50 and really haven't noticed it holding me back in any way, shape or form.  Yes the amount of credits you could have in your bank was limited and has now been raised, but I've found very little to spend it on outside of equipment repair and selling the junk you get pays for that.  I very quickly topped out my credit limit and have a ton more in my escrow account with nothing to spend it on.

2) Class: which one is closest to Lotro's Beorning (very good melee) 

-  Very good melee would be Commando or Bounty Hunter.

3) What about story-wise things, which class has the best story?

-  I've really enjoyed the Bounty Hunter story.

Since you can make enough characters to try every single class / story, I think your question should be more of 'which story should I try first'.

4) Yes, I know, you make decisions so that light Sith or evil Jedi are an option. Question: are there decisions made on battlefield, like "Kill this NPC in combat and you are more evil", "Destroy this building and you are more good"?

-  No.  Before combat and after combat is where the choices come into play, during the cut scene dialogues.

5) Preferred players (ones who paid for smth) - do they have lvl.50 cap or...?

-  No, although like I've said as a F2p I don't even seem to have a level cap.

6) Housing: can I have housing as f2p? they worth something or...?

_  Yes it's their main money sink.  Never seen or heard of any decorating contests or visiting different homes so beyond the money sink maybe not.

Last I saw they had made the first 2 expansion's free to all, but I can't find anything about that.  I do know twice now they've done a code that lets you get those 2 for free and I've seen in game emails where the expansions have been F2p more than once.

Seems to be one of those games where things change depending on the weather.  It's possible F2p accounts are more restrictive now than before, I just don't know beyond my F2p hasn't held me back from anything I've ever wanted to do.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter