Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW under DDOS attack

Jamar870Jamar870 Member UncommonPosts: 570
Well looks like there are some unhappy soul(s) out there that feel the need to DDOS WoW.  Classic is being affect. Don't know about retail. So far the longest I managed to stay connected was probably around a minute.

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    retail is down too.  This is why we can not have nice things

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Horusra said:

So they are using the same IP's for both versions?You know how hard it is for a team of people to track down the IP's and bombard them,VERY hard.Or simply the same few for login servers but then why would legit users have any problem after getting in?

Unless people think Blizzard doesn't spend a LOT of money on security,you can bet they do and have the DDOS covered already from the past.

My hunch ,they CHEATED,instead of buying new servers they restructured and are overloading their servers.Then my hunch is they are using some software to move players around to empty spaces but when some older machines fail there could be problems in connections and how the software works.No coincidence when it is a Saturday,likely the busiest day to overload server machines.

There is no way anyone should believe Blizzard in 2019/20 does not have DDOS protection.The software would monitor the incoming connections and after realizing non legit,they would disallow access.I would think any competent business has it setup to auto block and already realized Ip's.SO then i have to wonder if these connects are not getting through,how would affect IN GAME problems,well it wouldn't hence why i do not believe them one bit.

Kyleran

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited September 2019
    Wizardry said:
    Horusra said:

So they are using the same IP's for both versions?You know how hard it is for a team of people to track down the IP's and bombard them,VERY hard.Or simply the same few for login servers but then why would legit users have any problem after getting in?

Unless people think Blizzard doesn't spend a LOT of money on security,you can bet they do and have the DDOS covered already from the past.

My hunch ,they CHEATED,instead of buying new servers they restructured and are overloading their servers.Then my hunch is they are using some software to move players around to empty spaces but when some older machines fail there could be problems in connections and how the software works.No coincidence when it is a Saturday,likely the busiest day to overload server machines.

There is no way anyone should believe Blizzard in 2019/20 does not have DDOS protection.The software would monitor the incoming connections and after realizing non legit,they would disallow access.I would think any competent business has it setup to auto block and already realized Ip's.SO then i have to wonder if these connects are not getting through,how would affect IN GAME problems,well it wouldn't hence why i do not believe them one bit.

You should give this a read because you talk as if you're an expert on DDOS attacks and cyber security.. but you really aren't.

https://www.cloudflare.com/en-gb/learning/ddos/what-is-a-ddos-attack/

The main thing to take from the info is that the stronger the defences against DDOS attacks are, the more it will affect normal traffic. They will have the protocols in place to prevent DDOS attacks but they can't just leave them on all the time. 
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    edited September 2019
    don't worry guys, one of these days one of these kids will become president...... can't wait to see what happens then.... 
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    don't worry guys, one of these days one of these kids will become president...... can't wait to see what happens then.... 
    ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
     As an ATVI shareholder , i will take great pleasure in watching our Legal team get this idiot thrown in to jail , its nothing 10 months in the GP wont fix ..
    Scorchien said:
     As an ATVI shareholder , i will take great pleasure in watching our Legal team get this idiot thrown in to jail , its nothing 10 months in the GP wont fix ..
    This will be handled by the FBI, the legal team will just give them the info.
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Utinni said:
    Scorchien said:
    And, likely, nothing will happen regardless since it wasn't some "idiot" doing it, but a paid service based in some other country.
  • zeroscloudzeroscloud Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Hopefully the cops break his door down and beat the fuck outta him. 

Lokero said:
    Utinni said:
    Scorchien said:
    And, likely, nothing will happen regardless since it wasn't some "idiot" doing it, but a paid service based in some other country.
    Last time WoW got DDoS the FBI extradited the person responsible from Romania. 
    edited September 2019
    Utinni said:
    Scorchien said:
    The FBI only investigates , they do not prosecute , its actually the exact opposite .. They will povide there findings to ATVI and authority/defense if in place
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Scorchien said:
    Utinni said:
    Scorchien said:
    The FBI only investigates , they do not prosecute , its actually the exact opposite .. They will povide there findings to ATVI and authority/defense if in place
    These are the folks who prosecuted the Romanian. 

"The case was prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney Khaldoun Shobaki of the Cyber & Intellectual Property Crimes Section."

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Scorchien said:
    Utinni said:
    Scorchien said:
    These are the folks who prosecuted the Romanian. 

"The case was prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney Khaldoun Shobaki of the Cyber & Intellectual Property Crimes Section."
    Annd , thats exactly as i put it , FBI only ivestigates , they will turn over there report to Authority(Prosecuter) and Defense attorney , and to ATVI .. ATVI legal team will give damage assesment to all parties involved... and the process begins Khaldoun may be the Authority to handle this , or may not .. depneds ..
    DMKano said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    Want to know why this stuff keeps happening? Because the Justice system is a joke. We've gone back to slapping people on the wrist for intentional and malicious crimes.

Its pretty hard to track down the actual attacker though.

Most use botnets that are beyond the jurisdiction of the 14 eyes which US belongs to as far cyber crimes intel exchange

So you would have to get non-14 eye countries to hand over IP log information (like china and russia) and that is not going to happen.

And this is why 99.9% of ddos attacks go unpunished.

To stop ddos attacks ISPs all around the globe would have to get involved - this is the only way
    This guy is particularly dumb , they already know who he is
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    DMKano said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    Want to know why this stuff keeps happening? Because the Justice system is a joke. We've gone back to slapping people on the wrist for intentional and malicious crimes.

Its pretty hard to track down the actual attacker though.

Most use botnets that are beyond the jurisdiction of the 14 eyes which US belongs to as far cyber crimes intel exchange

So you would have to get non-14 eye countries to hand over IP log information (like china and russia) and that is not going to happen.

And this is why 99.9% of ddos attacks go unpunished.

To stop ddos attacks ISPs all around the globe would have to get involved - this is the only way
    All depends on the industry. Both China and Russia are extremely cooperative within the financial community in helping track down any sort of criminal activity.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    So you're saying that the stability is just like it was when Vanilla WoW was the only version of WoW?  But this time, you think it's because of a DDOS?
  • ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Quizzical said:
    So you're saying that the stability is just like it was when Vanilla WoW was the only version of WoW?  But this time, you think it's because of a DDOS?
    Haha, but yeah, it's a confirmed DDoS attack.
  • bonzoso21bonzoso21 Member UncommonPosts: 380
    I was actually quite relieved when I heard all the disconnect issues were due to a DDoS attack. I had just finished installing on my new PC build that had only been running for a couple hours or so, and I was still in the process of tinkering with various hardware settings. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what I could be doing that would affect my connection!