Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronicles of Elyria - prelyria Internal playtest footage 09 05 2019

DerryFHDerryFH Member UncommonPosts: 57
A new video has been uploaded to official CoE YT channel - [ LINK ]

Comments

• AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    In fairness to SBS they have stated this is the development engine to save them having to wait on more developed models.

You gotta read the warning that it is pre alpha.

But alongside this and vox elyria you have to ask how much time has been wasted that could have been used on other models.

I just hope that they have been working on the better looking assets at the same time

ScotKyleranSlapshot1188
  • DerryFHDerryFH Member UncommonPosts: 57
    And not to mention that after ~3y of development we have some guy running around, entering a house or two, some light area effects, swimming with torch underwater and clunky combat.

Wish they just did the mine parkour demo and added dungeon exploration deep down below and released as early access.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823
    Is that guy with the torch searching for a new King? Look out for a sword in a stone. :)
  • Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152
    Well one would think after ~3y of development they would have some actual models to use instead of so called place holder models.

Not really seeing much here that couldn't / is not possible with UE4 + MMOKit and about a week of work.

I wander why they couldn't get some of that demo / example stuff they have used in the past to work? I mean that was the point of that stuff to show off what they want to do, yet we end up with this, something that is nothing like the past stuff.

Oh well I guess it is better then nothing... ...
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited September 2019
    AnOldFart said:
    In fairness to SBS they have stated this is the development engine to save them having to wait on more developed models.

But alongside this and vox elyria you have to ask how much time has been wasted that could have been used on other models.

I just hope that they have been working on the better looking assets at the same time

Well, it looks as if the layoffs done in early 2018 (1/3 of the staff) were mostly in the graphic arts dept, it's good to see something, anything really that some sort of game world exists.

I can forgive the graphics as I understand what they did and why, but theres still miles to go to complete the many complex systems they've described but so far have not shown any signs towards completion.  (Certainly not in this tech demo)

At least 3 and easily up to 5 more years of development assuming they maintain the present funding levels.
    AnOldFart

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    AnOldFart said:

Problem is that you don't need to wait more than one day for any skilled animator to improve an animation 200%.

I hate the always ALPHA excuse,i know what can be done and in how much time and i want to see work done by quality people.
    What am i to think.....Oh this modeler decided this is only Alpha,i should only make a crummy half assed model?Then what multiple testing phases,every time the models change?No man they can get it right the very first time,unless they sit around drinking coffee all day.

What i could accept is non skinned models,that might make sense.

Now what do i see in this video,well it is looking a lot more like Crowfall or worse,like way worse than first advertised.If this is their engine and using some cheap free modelling program then this will never end up a good seller.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• OrangeBoyOrangeBoy Member UncommonPosts: 213
    What's to stop SBS from making these graphics the official graphics? They've already made it clear they reserve the right to make changes on a grand scale and have shown bad faith in promises.

Not trying to bash them, but if SBS made the graphics as is for the final product, I wonder what the reaction would be.
    OrangeBoy said:
    What's to stop SBS from making these graphics the official graphics? They've already made it clear they reserve the right to make changes on a grand scale and have shown bad faith in promises.

Not trying to bash them, but if SBS made the graphics as is for the final product, I wonder what the reaction would be.
    A number of fans have said they would fine with the game releasing with these low poly models and being upgraded in the future.
    AnOldFart

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    Kyleran said:
    OrangeBoy said:

A number of fans have said they would fine with the game releasing with these low poly models and being upgraded in the future.
    I'm fine playing Screeps and MUDs.  Since I'm not a backer I can get in knowing what I'm buying. 

If they release with custom AI I'll probably even go in with two accounts.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    I’ll take it. Now get it done!
    Slapshot1188Iselin
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    bcbully said:
    I’ll take it. Now get it done!
    I dunno, I think in their focus on realism the mechanics will be unnecessarily tedious.

Take the video and the torch having to be carried at all times, realistic, yes, but also stupid in a game.

I mean the character goes swimming with it, holding it in the air while one handing across the lake with a 25 pound shield strapped on its back.

Then the character goes into battle, equips the shield and weapon....and is now attacking in almost pitch darkness.

Realistic? Maybe, but also why most battles in the pre electric age waited until dawn unless the moon was out to provide enough light to actually fight.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    Scot said:
    Is that guy with the torch searching for a new King? Look out for a sword in a stone. :)
    He's searching for friends whose names he can pronounce in voice chat, but upon finding none goes insane and starts attacking everyone.
    KyleranFangrim

• AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    Kyleran said:
    OrangeBoy said:

I will take them, graphics are not the main reason I play a game and in all actuality I am out of by hyper realism in graphics.

Vrika said:
    Scot said:
    He's searching for friends whose names he can pronounce in voice chat, but upon finding none goes insane and starts attacking everyone.

So true those names were so f**king awful
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    The reason why the pre-alpha excuse doesn't work for this one is that even if you forgive the art models they never show anything important on a game that they already worked three years on. The game is still vaporware.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    edited September 2019
    These graphics are not the same with what they pitch for kickstarter, these are way worse. Feels like they con their backers.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    edited September 2019
    Kyleran said:
    OrangeBoy said:

I am one who said they should scrap the old graphics and go with what is more achievable.  Upgrade later with a free “expansion” or something.  That said, they would need to let players know NOW.  Not a year from now.

Beyond that, I think the chat/interaction system is horrible.  I believe this is related to the game being built around gamepad support(as discussed in the other thread). It seems overly cumbersome.  I know this can and likely will change, but given their history it seems likely that they will make it even more cumbersome than streamlined.

I can live with the graphics, but the trade off should be great animations, great performance, and a tight UI. 

Right now that combat is painful to watch.

AnOldFartkenguru23

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018