Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Chat With Derek Brinkmann Of Citadel Studios - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited September 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageA Chat With Derek Brinkmann Of Citadel Studios - MMORPG.com

Last night on Gaming the Industry, Managing Editor Joseph Bradford and Associate Editor Shank were able to sit down and talk with Legends of Aria Project Lead Derek Brinkmann. The more than hour-long conversation covered a wide gamut of topics, from his MMO, LoA, as well as issues facing the industry as a whole.

Read the full story here

Comments

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    "So we made a hard decision to shrink the open PvP area to allow people to PvP without being ganked because gankers were driving people away.[...] We made this decision, and it was a difficult one, but we said "We need this game to survive so we can make more games and keep working on LoA and make it better. LoA's not even done, we still have quite a bit of work to do to finish it to the point where it's something people can live in for years. So in order to do that it needed to have a sustainable population, which required us to remove ganking from the majority of the content.""

We who played in the Alpha and were on the forums were telling the developers this. Yet you had people who called us Carebears because we didnt want to play a full OWPVP game with full looting. Now people like me left and are never coming back. If players wanted UO Pre Tram they could have gone on the many Pre T2A servers out there and see they might have 1000 people online at most and makes the world feel dead.
    FacelessSavioritchmonKyleran
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Pvp of any kind to me is a fail waiting to happen.This has been proven game after game after game for so long now i would have hoped dev teams would get it by now.

If one must have pvp it needs to happen in a non essential part of a map/game so that it would not ruin the game for any player not caring about pvp.I personally see no need for pvp whatsoever,we played FFXI and enjoyed the hell out of it for 15 years,i think someone mentioned pvp twice in 15 years just for fun to test a build.

I don't need pvp for any reason,i only care about the world design,the systems,my character,the mobs and their AI/systems.What am i going to do ,pvp someone then what say YAY i win? pfft idc about pvp period.

I do see some good things in this game,imo get rid of pvp altogether and focus on the game otherwise the characters will be limited for pvp reasons,i don't like dev teams ruining the potential of a game to make sure pvp works.
    CazrielTokken[Deleted User][Deleted User]itchmoncheeba

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Good job on some original content in the form of interviews. Keep stuff like this coming!
    [Deleted User]Existentialist

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• CazrielCazriel Member RarePosts: 419
    Having come out strongly as an open world, full-loot PvP title, it really has a long way to go to get players interested in it again.
  • lotrlorelotrlore Managing EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 555

Amathe said:

Good job on some original content in the form of interviews. Keep stuff like this coming!

Hey, Thanks for this. Definitely enjoying writing stuff like this up. Let us know what else you'd like to see via Discord or email ([email protected]).
    [Deleted User]
  • AndurinAndurin Member UncommonPosts: 125
    Sadly, in pvp games now you need some sort of safe zone. Back when the original UO launched there were very severe penalties for killiing other players. The grind back then was severe so I am talking about setting your character back months after sitting logged in as a ghost for ages. I'll never forgot red vs blue though, one of the best times in gaming I've ever had. There are some free shards that are doing some very innovative things to keep both parties happy. Meaning the pvp crowd and the pve.
    FacelessSavior
  • ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269

danwest58 said:

"So we made a hard decision to shrink the open PvP area to allow people to PvP without being ganked because gankers were driving people away.[...] We made this decision, and it was a difficult one, but we said "We need this game to survive so we can make more games and keep working on LoA and make it better. LoA's not even done, we still have quite a bit of work to do to finish it to the point where it's something people can live in for years. So in order to do that it needed to have a sustainable population, which required us to remove ganking from the majority of the content.""

We who played in the Alpha and were on the forums were telling the developers this. Yet you had people who called us Carebears because we didnt want to play a full OWPVP game with full looting. Now people like me left and are never coming back. If players wanted UO Pre Tram they could have gone on the many Pre T2A servers out there and see they might have 1000 people online at most and makes the world feel dead.

So you are going to deprive yourself from playing a game you seemed to enjoy because they made the changes you wanted them to make?
    FacelessSaviorKyleran
  • itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

Wizardry said:

Pvp of any kind to me is a fail waiting to happen.This has been proven game after game after game for so long now i would have hoped dev teams would get it by now.

If one must have pvp it needs to happen in a non essential part of a map/game so that it would not ruin the game for any player not caring about pvp.I personally see no need for pvp whatsoever,we played FFXI and enjoyed the hell out of it for 15 years,i think someone mentioned pvp twice in 15 years just for fun to test a build.

I don't need pvp for any reason,i only care about the world design,the systems,my character,the mobs and their AI/systems.What am i going to do ,pvp someone then what say YAY i win? pfft idc about pvp period.

I do see some good things in this game,imo get rid of pvp altogether and focus on the game otherwise the characters will be limited for pvp reasons,i don't like dev teams ruining the potential of a game to make sure pvp works.

Ever hear of Eve? It's a PVP game where PVP happens in the most essential areas of the game and it's been running since 2003.

It keeps running because it strikes a balance between being too safe and being a gankbox.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

danwest58 said:

So you are going to deprive yourself from playing a game you seemed to enjoy because they made the changes you wanted them to make?

Nope I am having a lot of fun in Classic now. I am not going back to a game where developers even told me to get better at the game because I didnt like getting ganked by players. Now they realized its a failure which is good for them but they already pushed me away. I am also going to play games like Ashes and and CU.

Wizardry said:

PVP is not the problem. Its how they implement PVP. Take SWG for example. You never have to PVP if you dont want to. If you do you just flag up. It was also not a full loot PVP game. You dont need looting in PVP at all. If there is an object that requires you to loot it like a tower thats one thing, looting players no its a bad IDEA.
    Kyleran
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    The "problem" with games today is just what this game is doing.

They say they are going to be a thing to build interest. In this case, an openPvP game ala UO...then, they change to get more players. This ruins games. Either be a thing or dont. When you make major changes to appease a different player type, you ruin your game.

I despise open pvp games. I despise them even if a portion of the game has it. Why? because I hate forced PvP 100% of the time and if a game has even 5% of forced PvP it means there is only 95% of the game I will play and thus will not waste my time with it and I know I am not in the MINORITY in this.

People who like PvP either like forced PvP or they dont. Even some of them do not want a forced PvP environment and they may or may not choose to play such a game while those that WANT forced PvP will NOT play a non-PvP game. Players gravitate to what they like. Its that simple.

So either make the game around open-PvP or dont have it in any way other than an open-PvP server. Pick your market. Stop trying to be everything. It does not work, ever. Never has. MMO quality has dropped massively because of too many games trying to do it all and that is why there are FEW subscription based games today...they are not worth paying for.
    cheeba

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

Don't let let devs bs pr talk fool you,their vision like dev teams is a marketing decision not a game decision.
    Whenever you see two things an APOC theme or an empty world pvp theme,it is because the dev team is too small,they cannot afford to do it any other way.This sadly means yo uare NOT getting their best effort,not even getting a great game,you are just getting what they can afford to give you.

Lord British thought he could do the same thing,just make an aged game and sell it using his name or in this case,marketing as a UO successor<<<BS.UO was never that good anyhow,it was great for that era but for 2019..it would be lol bad.

Dev teams need to quit making so many half assed games,either go AAA or make some game i na genre that takes a shoe string budget but not a mmorpg.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

pvp not the problem..it's how they implement it?

Well yeah of course but if we know how game design works,how the gamer's react,there is literally NO WAY to make pvp work without handcuffing pve..like NO WAY.

This is why i prefer the best pve experience possible and tell pvp to get out.On top of handcuffing pve,pvp will NEVER work anyhow,it fails in every game over and over.There really is some SIMPLE math at work here.....2 players one wins one loses,anytime you have scenarios where players are just losing you have to dissect,is the idea healthy for the game,WHY does one player win over another>>>balance.

Balance=math,it is that simple.There are ways to circumvent math with abilities but even those then rely on timers,again math.Then how do you balance ranged and melee and debilitating abilities?It is a never ending circle that can never be balanced unless again MATH,you take all the numbers and make them 100% identical for each player which ends up a real joke design.