Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What does an MMO mean to YOU?

BaalzharonBaalzharon Member RarePosts: 514
edited September 2019 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
For me an MMO can be anything with a big open world that gets updated for multiple years many games like witcher 3 skyrim fallout etc they get a few updates and after a year or so the game never updates again an MMO updates for decades so its rare for a game to be an MMO likewise there are many MMOs that stop being MMOs once they become abandoned with no more updates but a game like no mans sky has gotten updates for years or minecraft is still getting updates there is of course WoW which is #1 and #2 MMO which is the #1 and #2 MMOs in the world minecraft was #2 MMO for a while once it beat fortnite but I don't see fortnite as an MMO because tiny maps and not persistent which isnt what an MMO means to me which is a big open world with many updates for years and years eso and ffxiv are the other top mmos but sadly gw2 has fallen off the top mmos so cant recommend it anymore since no more expansions being made for the next year or so which is really sad because gw2 was a lot of fun but some people call mmos and the world is tiny with no updates and to me that isnt an mmo but many people see mmo differently than someone else which is fine which leads back to thread title what does an MMO mean to YOU and of course everyone has their own view on what an mmo is or is not so please respect other peoples views of mmos because like many things in todays world that definitions are fluid and ever changing one can be anything or anyone they want to be and like gaming and mmos many people have their own view on what an mmo is or is not and what it means to be an mmo or not an mmo and old definitions of mmos are no longer proper in todays world

Comments

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    You dropped these. And these are only the ones I found. 
    gervaise1QuizzicalSovrathPhaserlight[Deleted User]

Once upon a time....

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    MMO means Monthly Menstruation & Ovulation.

WarEnsembleanemo
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    For me it is simple.  I just go by what MMO means.  I randomly assigned a number to the first M (massively) since there isn't an actual number assigned to it every person will fight about that one part.  For me that number is 1000.  If a 1000 people can play together then it fits the first part.  They don't all have to be in the exact same spot but in one world.  Don't really consider lobby games, shooters, etc... true MMO's.  The second an third parts speak for themselves.  Multiplayer, more than 1 person, an online means online. 

My first MMO per say was Ultima Online, it didn't fit everything I have listed but the technology to do that first thing wasn't really there yet, but that  is where it started for me.  Then I moved on to WoW which for me was the first true MMO I played.  I skipped Everquest, because I didn't really have great internet that didn't cost an arm an leg until around the time WoW came out.  WoW checked all the boxes for MMO for me.  It was a seemless world when it came out.  It took time to actually cross the world, there were 100's of people all in one area, 1000's spread across the world.  It was an evolving thing that was added to over time.

Now if you had said RPGMMO that is an entirely different can of worms.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    1.   Giant persistent world.

2.   Thousands of people simultaneously online at any given time on the same game server.

3.    Creating and advancing a character.  

4.    Monsters to fight.

5.     Other players to fight.

6.     Questing.

7.     Treasure to win.
    Phaserlight

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Massively Multiplayer Online

thats it...

Now if you and the RPG there’s a lot more to talk about.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Massively Multiplayer Online

Online, meaning the game can only be played over the internet.

Multiplayer, meaning 2 or more people must be able to interact with one another within the same virtual environment.

Massively, an adjective that applies to the next word (multiplayer), meaning the number of people who can interact with one another within the same virtual environment must be massively bigger than the average. I consider the minimum number to be 250, but I'm really looking for 500+.

Thats it. It's the proper meaning of the english words. It matches what some of the pioneers of the genre said. It works when applied to most games that are considered MMOs, and also highlights the issue with more modern games that aren't MMOs (because they're just regular multiplayer, not massively multiplayer).
    mmolou
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    nah MMORPG means

Multiple Mens Online Role Playing as Girls

everyone knows that
    AmatheCryomatrix
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Persistent online world that is not a match.