Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Level to 60 in Classic apparently gets you Battle Of Azeroth free + a level 110 boost

IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
This apparently has only appeared in the Brazilian WOW official FB page but several places have reported it. Smart cross promotion if true:

https://classic.wowhead.com/news=294852/free-level-110-boost-and-bfa-expansion-for-level-60-players-in-classic

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
― CD PROJEKT RED

NorseGodOctagon7711gervaise1[Deleted User]

Comments

• AxxarAxxar Member UncommonPosts: 104
    If anyone really wants to play BfA, I would advise them to just play BfA instead. Getting to level 110 in BfA is a lot faster than getting to 60 in Classic. But I suppose it’s a nice bonus for anyone wanting to play both games, although I am not sure who has that kind of time on their hands.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    I wonder if it will stay in Brazil or if it will go out to other regions as well. 

It is pretty smart on their end. Quite a few people I know who are going into classic as their main game haven't been playing wow for years. If they hit 60 and get burnt out, and Blizzard gives them a free 110 / expansion, they might be more willing to play it. Gets new subs again. 
    [Deleted User]
  • LukeCage1821LukeCage1821 Newbie CommonPosts: 5
    I'd rather get something like a unique tabard or pet. I mean you can buy this from the store already. It just seems like they're desperate for people to go back to bfa this way. 
    I like pie
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Arterius said:
    I mean thats pretty cool. After playing Classic for a while I went back to BFA
    I've been playing a bit of both but I don't have BFA so this is a good deal for me... provided I ever get to 60 :)
    [Deleted User]Octagon7711
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    edited September 2019
    Iselin said:
    Arterius said:
    I mean thats pretty cool. After playing Classic for a while I went back to BFA
    I've been playing a bit of both but I don't have BFA so this is a good deal for me... provided I ever get to 60 :)
    Piece o' cake, I leveled five characters to 60 during my 18 months of sub time during Vanilla.

All while working the day job, raising a family, raiding up to Twin Emps .....

You'd be surprised on how little sleep you can really live on.

;)
    IselinAbimoranemo

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396
    That is a bonus i am not interested at all, didn't play WoW since 2009 (WotLK) and i miss nothing, WoW classic it's my thing
  • MachkeznhoMachkeznho Member UncommonPosts: 424
    edited September 2019
    Pretty much how I saw it as well as blizzard devs needed some sort of reassurance they haven't driven the game to where its at because I can guarantee you the numbers in classic vs retail are probably eye opening for them.  Feels like they have been blindfolded to how we all feel about WoW for years and classic has just unceremoniously ripped them off to expose the cold truth.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    DMKano said:
    Pretty clear what Blizzards intentions are for  classic - just a gateway to retail. 

Are there any bonuses in classic that you get for reaching mac level in retail?
    i have no doubt that Blizzard are hoping that people will try the retail version after playing Classic, and if the retail version was in better shape it might even be worth it, no doubt a few might try it regardless, but i think in end most will end up playing Classic, there is a very good reason why BfA is just the latest failure after all and Blizzard has a herculean task ahead of them if they want to make 'retail' WoW popular again, because in the Retail vs Classic contest, the retail version is losing badly. :/
    Its kind of amusing the situation that Blizzard finds itself in, on the one hand they have a massively popular game in WoW Classic, but on the other hand, they are probably having to downplay it to a degree because of the negative effect it has on WoW Retail  ;)
  • MachkeznhoMachkeznho Member UncommonPosts: 424
    Also not sure how I managed to double quote myself in a post, might be time for coffee.
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    I wonder if it will stay in Brazil or if it will go out to other regions as well. 

It is pretty smart on their end. Quite a few people I know who are going into classic as their main game haven't been playing wow for years. If they hit 60 and get burnt out, and Blizzard gives them a free 110 / expansion, they might be more willing to play it. Gets new subs again. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnztw_zkCF8

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Drackus01 said:
    I'd rather get something like a unique tabard or pet. <snip>
    Be careful what you wish for - there is an all to obvious way Blizzard can offer such stuff to you. 
    DMKano said:
    Phry said:
    DMKano said:
    Pretty clear what Blizzards intentions are for  classic - just a gateway to retail. 

i have no doubt that Blizzard are hoping that people will try the retail version after playing Classic, and if the retail version was in better shape it might even be worth it, no doubt a few might try it regardless, but i think in end most will end up playing Classic, there is a very good reason why BfA is just the latest failure after all and Blizzard has a herculean task ahead of them if they want to make 'retail' WoW popular again, because in the Retail vs Classic contest, the retail version is losing badly. :/
    Its kind of amusing the situation that Blizzard finds itself in, on the one hand they have a massively popular game in WoW Classic, but on the other hand, they are probably having to downplay it to a degree because of the negative effect it has on WoW Retail  ;)

The thing is - we are assuming that WoW classic is more popular than retail longterm.

But is it though?
    Haven't seen any confirmation from Blizzard saying so, or that Classic is more popular currently.
    [Deleted User]

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    DMKano said:
    Phry said:
    DMKano said:

The thing is - we are assuming that WoW classic is more popular than retail longterm.

But is it though?
    Haven't seen any confirmation from Blizzard saying so, or that Classic is more popular currently.
    Pretty sure Blizzard won't say that either. 

I do expect them, in / at their quarterly investor reporting, that "vanilla WoW exceeded their expectations". Of course that would be true is they expected 100k and got 250k, or expected 2M and got 4M. And maybe something along the lines of "demonstrating the enduring appeal of a beloved franchise" - which again won't mean anything concrete!
    Kyleran
    edited September 2019
    DMKano said:
    Phry said:
    DMKano said:

But is it though?

And are Blizzard "bothered" about popularity? Their real interest will be overall profitability.

If they simply end up with "more or less" the same number of subs but with the possibility of lower expansion sales and added cost of two versions ...... that may well go down in the fail column. 

Or maybe classic pretty much returns to what it was and vanilla becomes, for a year or more ahead, a revenue generator that they can run with a very small team.

No suggestion of vanilla becoming a full fledged progression server advancing through the versions but - maybe - someone will (or already has) suggested: 2019 - vanilla; 2020 - classic expansion; 2021 - BC (in addition to vanilla); 2022 - classic expansion; 2023 - WotLK. This would give them more and more WoW versions but once the roll out of "updates" on vanilla are complete it will be frozen in time. 

WoW has been (very) profitable by having one version. Profit has declined though as numbers have declined. Clearly they concluded that vanilla might slow the decline, maybe even reverse it short term. If subsequently they conclude that TBC, WotLK etc. might do that then I would expect to see those versions as well.
    Post edited by gervaise1 on
  • KalafaxKalafax Member UncommonPosts: 591
    I mean thats cool and all, but the majority of people left BfA to play classic, because retail just doesn't have what classic WoW had, and for those who just joined WoW during classic, getting a free Xpac into BfA may or may not mean anything, might even turn them off from WoW, as its almost a completely different game then classic. It shows the direction WoW has gone over the years and its not a good picture.

Mess with the best, Die like the rest

Torval said:
    Kyleran said:
    DMKano said:
    Phry said:
    DMKano said:

But is it though?
    That was my thought as well. The only indicator we have that Classic is more popular than Live is some third party add-on a few people have installed. Like I trust that.

No one is also talking about the crossover. How many established players on Live also hop onto Classic for something different? I can imagine guilds with raids on farm might.
    While I am a person who plays only one game at a time most players can easily transition between two or more titles and my guess is Blizzard is hoping to interest returning Classic players to give retail a try.

Some will likely stay, paying the sub while splitting their time between both versions.

gervaise1OGDeathRow

• OGDeathRowOGDeathRow Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Kyleran said:

While I am a person who plays only one game at a time most players can easily transition between two or more titles and my guess is Blizzard is hoping to interest returning Classic players to give retail a try.

Some will likely stay, paying the sub while splitting their time between both versions.

That last line id say hits it spot on. Classic and retail are vastly different. So its like subbing for 2 games at once.  
    Iselin