Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do You Consider Yourself A "Gamer?"

Comments

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I am a gamer in the sense that gaming is one of my hobbies.

I am not a gamer in the sense of being particularly good at playing games.
    MendelAlBQuirkyKyleran

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Iselin said:
    Sovrath said:
    No, I consider myself a player. Gamer to me is not a great word.
    Lol. It's the opposite for me. When I hear player I think of a real life version of Leisure Suit Larry.
    In truth I thought pretty much the same thing when I wrote that. I imagined myself with big lapels, lotions, shag carpeting, plastic on the furniture ...

I like Phaserlight's explanation. I have a gigantic movie collection as well as a huge music collection. Certainly more of those than games.

But when people hear "gamer" it conjures all sorts of negative images. 
    IselinAlBQuirkyKyleran
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KrimzinKrimzin Member UncommonPosts: 687
    edited September 2019
    Im a gamer. Life takes priority but that doesn't mean I won't play every chance I get. My other hobby is Cars/Jeeps so gotta work to pay for expensive hobbies.

Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station 
  • Noobmaster_95Noobmaster_95 Member UncommonPosts: 93
    well yes but actually no
    AlBQuirkyPhaserlightimmoralthang
  • bonzoso21bonzoso21 Member UncommonPosts: 380
    Wow, people get really weird about labels. I regularly spend some of my free time playing video games, to varying degrees depending on how busy I am with other stuff. I own current-gen consoles and a gaming pc. I am a gamer. I also have a game room with a poker table and a tabletop game collection. I watch TV and movies. I am always in the middle of a book, and sometimes read comics. I also have a recording studio in the basement and play strings, drums, and keys. I also just played basketball yesterday and had a live fantasy football draft on Saturday with a bunch of friends.  

People are not one thing. 
    Cryomatrix
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    edited September 2019
    bonzoso21 said:
    Wow, people get really weird about labels. I regularly spend some of my free time playing video games, to varying degrees depending on how busy I am with other stuff. I own current-gen consoles and a gaming pc. I am a gamer. I also have a game room with a poker table and a tabletop game collection. I watch TV and movies. I am always in the middle of a book, and sometimes read comics. I also have a recording studio in the basement and play strings, drums, and keys. I also just played basketball yesterday and had a live fantasy football draft on Saturday with a bunch of friends.  

People are not one thing. 
    I noticed that. I feel like a sanitarium attendant trying to get the patients into a straight jacket. They just wiggle and wriggle and make it so hard ;)

One sees an ad:
    "A video game! Made BY Gamers! FOR Gamers!"

Does that mean anything to anyone? Does that game get extra hype or more consideration or more leeway?

PS: I never asked if anyone was only a gamer.
    Mendel

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• sunnyortegosunnyortego Member UncommonPosts: 30
    I've been playing since I was 6. Now 40. I'd guess that I've played above 30k hours worth. I'd say I am a gamer.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    I've always played Tennis and we are called Tennis players. Video Game player is too long so i guess gamer is the short way of saying it? Gambler is also someone who plays gambling machines. Semantics.

I think context is more important than the particular word being used. Otherwise slangs would probably not exist.

PhaserlightAlBQuirky

edited September 2019
    I've always played Tennis and we are called Tennis players. Video Game player is too long so i guess gamer is the short way of saying it? Gambler is also someone who plays gambling machines. Semantics.

I think context is more important than the particular word being used. Otherwise slangs would probably not exist.

That's a really good point, "context."

Overall, it seems are some proud to be a gamer while others aren't so quick to identify with the label. I admit that I don't consider myself one because the term brings forth images to an extreme, like players who live and die for video games.

Maybe "Rampant Gamers" is a more accurate term I should use?
    Sovrath

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    AlBQuirky said:

That's a really good point, "context."

Overall, it seems are some proud to be a gamer while others aren't so quick to identify with the label. I admit that I don't consider myself one because the term brings forth images to an extreme, like players who live and die for video games.

Maybe "Rampant Gamers" is a more accurate term I should use?
    Exactly this.
    AlBQuirky
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I consider myself a gamer because it is my main hobby and i have put a lot of time into it.

I also consider myself a sci fi reader cuz i read a lot of sci fi, doesnt mean it is an exclusive title.

If i stopped gaming, i wouldnt call myself a gamer.
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    I look at it like this.  If you own consoles an play at least a few times a week, you are a gamer.  If you have a PC an you have games installed an you play a few times a week, you are a gamer.   If you are a numbnut walking around looking down at your phone while you play a game, you are not a gamer you are a nuisance to everyone around you.
    AlBQuirky
  • SandmanjwSandmanjw Member RarePosts: 527
    Of course i am a gamer. As well as a reader, a husband, son...so on and so on.

Too many people look at a title and think you end there.  Simple answer is if you pick the titles then fine, but do not let, or even care, what others call you.

You be you. If you are happy, with or without a title, you are good.

Just got to say though...whole lot of people here on a MMORPG forum that talk about gaming that "claim" they are not gamer's.... >:) Not a sin folks...geeks are cool now right?? Least that's what i am gonna keep thinking  B)
    AlBQuirky
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Hmm...I consider myself a former and wannabe gamer. Former because I used to game a lot when there were games I cared about and wannabe because I still would like to find a game to really throw myself into.

I thought Crowfall was going to be it, and while a good game that will get better, the changes they are making are turning me away. I still play PS2 but that is more out of habit than any real attraction to the game.

So, yeah, I will be a gamer again...I hope...maybe...?
    AlBQuirky

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    So OP, what do you reckon? Is the well poisoned enough, or it needs more of the stuff?
    AlBQuirky
    Xasapis said:
    So OP, what do you reckon? Is the well poisoned enough, or it needs more of the stuff?
    I think there is still hope for good water down this well ;)
    Hatefull

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• immoralthangimmoralthang Member RarePosts: 300
    edited September 2019
    I used to be a huge gamer in college but I would say no now. Besides real life changes, I have grown extremely cynical about the state of the industry and significantly reduced my playing as a result of that. Cyberpunk is the only game I look forward to diving into in the future.
    AlBQuirky
  • HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    Ever since gamer gate most don't want to be identified as a gamer.  Because the label during that and still this time is one of a negative context.  It's exactly what geek/nerd went through, until gaming was mainstream.  Would I consider myself one?  I think if you are someone that is interested in the industry (reads about games, watches videos, trailers, etc.) you are making yourself a part of that community.
    AlBQuirky
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
    I used to be a huge gamer in college but I would say no now. Besides real life changes, I have grown extremely cynical about the state of the industry and significantly reduced my playing as a result of that. Cyberpunk is the only game I look forward to diving into in the future.
    That's an interesting distinction between old games and newer ones. Most of the games I play are older ones, as I feel as you do about newer games. CRPGs and turn based strategic combat have started to come back into "fashion" now, though ;)
    Hatefull

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    YOU BET YOUR ASS I AM 

I thought I was a gamer.
    AlBQuirkyPhry
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    OG_Zorvan said:
    Interesting article and fun read. Unfortunately, people "identify" with whatever they wish to. An internet author doesn't get to decide for anyone but themselves ;)
    [Deleted User]Phry

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• ChicagoCubChicagoCub Member UncommonPosts: 381
    I'd like to consider myself a gamer but unfortunately my parents' house has no basement.
    AlBQuirkySovrathPhry
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    I'd like to consider myself a gamer but unfortunately my parents' house has no basement.
    Start then a rebellious new gamer movement, the attic-dwellers. On the flags:
    "Down with the basement dwellers - literally"
    :D
    AlBQuirky
  • AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Probably in the 80's but nowadays i only play MMORPG's and most recently nothing at all. So no.
    AlBQuirky
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    edited September 2019