Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Community !... Is why it will last longer than expected.

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

First you have World of Warcraft and all the frills that come with it.  But lets put the game aside for the point I'm making. 

Much more importantly you have people talking, planning, grouping, trading….. This is huge for longevity.  

Each time you set out on the same path in Darkshore You could potentially run into different players that could change your plans for the adventure.  This subtle change in routine may seem small but its powerful….. Much like real life, how would you feel if daily conversations were the same day in and day out.  SINCE THEIR NOT, this brings diversity in how your day unravels.  This is your motivation for getting up in the morning….. So why not in an mmorpg. 

The need for others is what sets first and second generation mmorpgs apart from modern carrot on a stick games. 

Sure a person can play 1-60 without any human contact.  It's not a terribly hard game.   That’s part of the awesomeness.  It can be for everyone and every style of player or a slide bar of everything in between. 

This also leads to replay ability…. Sick of the same old people at level 45 ?   Start a "new class" and find a different adventure playing with new people.  Yes, on the same server !

Short story:

I've been playing Vanilla World of Warcraft continually on and off since 2005.  

Always by myself I venture to Alterac Mountains, and never came close to having the same experience twice, not even close.  The PEOPLE THERE MAKE THE DIFFERENCE ! 

This in one in a thousand examples I could give :)

Axxar

Comments

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    I have to agree.

Playing FFXIV (a 'modern' MMO) for the past 4 years and I've barely said more than 'hi', 'gg', and 'inv pls' to anyone for the past 2 (as it's steadily being made more and more ‘casual friendly’). Just log in, do chores, get 'loot', log out.

Playing Classic WoW for the past week I have joined / started over a dozen spontaneous groups, a few of which lasted several hours and all of which were highly social. Even in dungeons people talk, because A. you have to, and B. there is time for it. The worst dungeon runs I’ve had so far are ones where people try to treat it like retail and just rush through (which usually results in at least one wipe and a generally bad time for all).

In short, it is not the players that have changed (though some have) it is the games, and Classic WoW proves it.
    Axxar
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    edited September 2019
    DMKano said:

How about giving WoW classic more than 1 week before jumping to conclusions 

That could be said for you as well.  

However, that being said, we all know that the honeymoon period must end before any real judgements can be made.

Remember, we're talking a gaming community that downed Rag in less than a week with less than a full raid, in poor gear, with NO fire resist.

Classic is going to be different than both retail and vanilla.  I don't think the bulk of the players will play it for that long, but it will have it's niche.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]Gdemami
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    btdt said:
    DMKano said:

That could be said for you as well.  

However, that being said, we all know that the honeymoon period must end before any real judgements can be made.

Remember, we're talking a gaming community that downed Rag in less than a week with less than a full raid, in poor gear, with NO fire resist.

Classic is going to be different than both retail and vanilla.  I don't think the bulk of the players will play it for that long, but it will have it's niche.
    Personally I wouldn't classify the folks who downed Rag so quickly as at all typical of the bulk of the player base.

It is true though, many playing are very familar with the game mechanics and the ride will likely go smoother with far less learning necessary. 
    acidblood

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    DMKano said:
    acidblood said:

In short, it is not the players that have changed (though some have) it is the games, and Classic WoW proves it.
    I disagree. 

Players have changed and games have changed as well - both have changed.

The reason why WoW retail has changed into what it is today has a lot to do with majority player preferences. 

What % of overall mmo playerbase does WoW classic represent?

Remember that WoW retail has survived for 15 years

WoW classic has been out for a week.....

While it's true that it is still early days, it's just amazing to see how quickly players (in general) have reverted to being helpful and social in an MMO that encourages it... and while I'm still not sure how long Classic WoW will last (as good as it is, many have undertaken the journey before and its destination is known) it does prove that the style of the game has a significant effect of the behaviour of its players (though to some degree that will be self-selection).

Sovrathdelete5230AxxarKyleran
  • BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724
    The real watch is going to be the main peloton that flows through. Pay attention to what happens when the bulk hits 60s.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    acidblood said:
    DMKano said:
    acidblood said:

I disagree. 

Players have changed and games have changed as well - both have changed.

The reason why WoW retail has changed into what it is today has a lot to do with majority player preferences. 

What % of overall mmo playerbase does WoW classic represent?

Remember that WoW retail has survived for 15 years

WoW classic has been out for a week.....

While it's true that it is still early days, it's just amazing to see how quickly players (in general) have reverted to being helpful and social in an MMO that encourages it... and while I'm still not sure how long Classic WoW will last (as good as it is, many have undertaken the journey before and its destination is known) it does prove that the style of the game has a significant effect of the behaviour of its players (though to some degree that will be self-selection).

Very insightful :)