Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen & SQ4 Roadmap (updated April 8th)

Comments

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Freelancer rinse and repeat.  Endless development. Difficulty setting long and short term goals.  Hoped he had learned from that.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Freelancer rinse and repeat.  Endless development. Difficulty setting long and short term goals.  Hoped he had learned from that.  
    Why would he learn when you have people throwing money at him and chanting take as long as you want? He’s not held accountable by anyone so he has no reason to release the game. Just keep developing new features, rack up the technical debt and sell new jpeg spaceships that have no use in game because the mechanics and gameplay loops haven’t been developed yet
    Kyleran
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    Roberts was always like this.  His productions were always late, sometimes by years.  He blew through the money allocated to Freelancer, and it was only finished because Microsoft threw more money and three years of development at it.   

I suspect that Warren Spector gets co-production credit for WC because he was brought in to get the thing out the door.  I'll ask him the next time I see him.

The big hope for SC is that the introduction of real investors has lit a fire under Roberts' sluggardly ass, or otherwise pushes him out of his micromanaging control mode.   Then the Roadmap may have a better relationship to reality.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

Roberts was always like this.  His productions were always late, sometimes by years.  He blew through the money allocated to Freelancer, and it was only finished because Microsoft threw more money and three years of development at it.   

I suspect that Warren Spector gets co-production credit for WC because he was brought in to get the thing out the door.  I'll ask him the next time I see him.

The big hope for SC is that the introduction of real investors has lit a fire under Roberts' sluggardly ass, or otherwise pushes him out of his micromanaging control mode.   Then the Roadmap may have a better relationship to reality.
    Unlikely about the investors. Roberts has already said an mvp and given the company’s history of walking back promises of push comes to shove by the investors they will just say this is the new mvp so enjoy!

I wouldn’t be surprised if Roberts has courted the next gen consoles though to try and squeeze more money out of an untapped market but given the requirements to pass certification I’m sure he was laughed out of both meetings
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited September 2019
    Kefo said:
    Unlikely about the investors. Roberts has already said an mvp and given the company’s history of walking back promises of push comes to shove by the investors they will just say this is the new mvp so enjoy!

I wouldn’t be surprised if Roberts has courted the next gen consoles though to try and squeeze more money out of an untapped market but given the requirements to pass certification I’m sure he was laughed out of both meetings
    You throw away the MVP word like you have any idea of what is the scope of the release of the game here. Aside, investors deff consider what you don't, SC is set as MMO after the main release, meaning live service and development continues, what actually fits well with a mvp. The profitability of this product for investors lie on the profitability after its release, profitability that does not exist right now as financials show.

On the console talk saying he'd be laughed off on those reasons is so delusional. A game like SQ42 first SP campaign shiny type of game that performs well on it, second, the current-gen is good on hardware and porting titles has been much easier than before, third, the engine would already natively support it if they pursue it. And last, I'd bet the investors that did the large recently investment stated wanted on SQ42 already have that covered, what investor in their right mind would not bring such an obvious thing to the table when putting in dozens of millions...

"requirements to pass certification" does not compute with console releases like NMS. :p  
    Post edited by MaxBacon on
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:

You throw away the MVP word like you have any idea of what is the scope of the release of the game here. Aside, investors deff consider what you don't, SC is set as MMO after the main release, meaning live service and development continues, what actually fits well with a mvp. The profitability of this product for investors lie on the profitability after its release, profitability that does not exist right now as financials show.

On the console talk saying he'd be laughed off on those reasons is so delusional. A game like SQ42 first SP campaign shiny type of game that performs well on it, second, the current-gen is good on hardware and porting titles has been much easier than before, third, the engine would already natively support it if they pursue it. And last, I'd bet the investors that did the large recently investment stated wanted on SQ42 already have that covered, what investor in their right mind would not bring such an obvious thing to the table when putting in dozens of millions...

"requirements to pass certification" does not compute with console releases like NMS. :p  
    MVP means what ever Roberts needs it to mean in order for the fanboys to rabidly attack anyone who dares be critical of the game. MVP could mean 1 completed star system, could mean 10, could be it is considered done in the next hour and Roberts can walk away and let the fans attack. So please don’t come at me like you have any better idea of what mvp means.

Why would it be delusional for Roberts to be laughed out of the meetings? Certification requirements generally require to not brick the console and actually work. Seeing as SQ42 right now is just a figment of backers imaginations outside of what Roberts has decided to show I don’t think it’s much of a stretch for MS or Sony to tell him to get the hell out but in much nicer terms.

But that’s besides the point. I thought this game was going to save computer gaming and not be for the *disgusted tone* console player base and that Roberts wouldn’t have to be held accountable to investors. Seems when the chips are on the table and money is tight he has no problem turning to investors who I’m sure have conditions that Roberts now has to follow 
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    Since Star Citizen is already the best space sim game in the market I'm sure that the MVP will do just fine. :)
    newbismx
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    edited September 2019
    Kefo said:
    ***snip*** I thought this game was going to save computer gaming and not be for the *disgusted tone* console player base ***snip***

Well, that is what YOU thought.

The dev team certainly never claimed to "save computer gaming".

And the console PLAYERS are very welcome. They just need a PC. Because the consoles available at the time the game was announced (and even the newer currently available consoles) were/are not sufficiently fast to run Star Citizen at the recommended settings. And these specs will not be reduced so SC can run on these consoles. If future consoles are powerful enough to run Star Citizen at the recommended level ... i personally do not think that anyone would object to (later) adapt SC to consoles.

What Roberts really said was:

"Roberts has been quite vocal about targeting Star Citizen as a PC exclusive, for one simple reason: the PC is the only platform that he considers powerful and versatile enough to give the kind of experience he wants. "What I was showing you can’t do on a current generation console," Roberts said of Star Citizen's initial proof of concept video. "You can do most of it on a next generation console, but I can promise you a top-end PC now is already more powerful than what a next generation console is going to be."

Roberts added that he hopes Star Citizen proves that a high-end PC is good for more than warmed-over ports of games made for the consoles. "I have a high-end gaming rig, but I’ve also got all the consoles, and if someone is making a game for a console first, and it’s being ported to the PC, I’m always buying it for the console. I don’t want a buggy port of a console game on my PC that doesn’t really show my PC off."

"I have an iPhone and I can watch The Dark Knight Rises on it, but I don’t want to watch The Dark Knight Rises on my iPhone—I want to see it in IMAX on a big screen, and I’m willing to spend $18 to see it on the big screen in IMAX versus downloading it for a couple of dollars on my iPhone. I definitely think there’s a PC gaming audience like that.”"

And 233 crowdfunded millions of dollars later indicate that he was correct in the assessment that there is an audience for that.

Chris Roberts also denied any of the "PC master race" hyperbole.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/20/chris-roberts-on-life-after-crowdfunding-games-vs-film/

"....It’s not so much about, “I’m part of the PC master race and you’re a puny console person.” It’s more a matter of whether you’re open or you’re closed. It’s why you’ve got League of Legends and all those. They’re on the PC because it’s open. It’s not an issue for them to distribute. But the business drives me nuts, because everybody in the trade obsesses about, “PC’s dead! Console is the new master race!” “Console is dead! Social games are the new master race!” Now mobile or tablet’s the new master race.

And you know what? There are people playing all these things. There are valid markets everywhere. Everywhere there’s proof of that. You can sell 29 million units of Call of Duty on a console. You can have tens of millions of people playing things like League of Legends and World of Tanks on PC. You can have tens of millions of people playing Clash of Clans on the mobile side. There’s not one ring to rule ‘em all, so to speak. There are different areas. It’s a matter of where you want to play. For me, Star Citizen works the best on the PC and online. ...."

So ...  YOU may claim that you "thought it will save computer gaming" .... but it was not the dev team that said that. They said SC will work best on the PC and will not work well on the current generation consoles.

Have fun
    edited September 2019
    About the MVP ....

"A minimum viable product (MVP) is a development technique in which a new product or website is developed with sufficient features to satisfy early adopters. The final, complete set of features is only designed and developed after considering feedback from the product's initial users."

"A minimum viable product (MVP) is the the most pared down version of a product that can still be released. An MVP has three key characteristics:

• It has enough value that people are willing to use it or buy it initially.
    • It demonstrates enough future benefit to retain early adopters.
    • It provides a feedback loop to guide future development.
    The catch to this development technique is that it assumes that early adopters can see the vision or promise of the final product and provide the valuable feedback needed to guide developers forward."

That MVP can be anything - even the game with all promised features. Its all a matter of definition what you consider "sufficient" to "satisfy the early adopters".

By the definition of this webpage even the current Alpha would already be an MVP
    • It has enough value that people are willing to use it or buy it initially. -- check
    • It demonstrates enough future benefit to retain early adopters.  --check (retained most early adopters, gained hundredthousands more)
    • It provides a feedback loop to guide future development. -- check (ongoing testing)
    "that early adopters can see the vision or promise of the final product and provide the valuable feedback needed to guide developers forward." -- check (see the huge amount of feedback from the community to the developers). The crowdfunding backers are the very definition of people that can see the vision and support it.

Have fun

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited September 2019
    Kefo said:
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:

MVP means what ever Roberts needs it to mean in order for the fanboys to rabidly attack anyone who dares be critical of the game. MVP could mean 1 completed star system, could mean 10, could be it is considered done in the next hour and Roberts can walk away and let the fans attack. So please don’t come at me like you have any better idea of what mvp means.

Why would it be delusional for Roberts to be laughed out of the meetings? Certification requirements generally require to not brick the console and actually work. Seeing as SQ42 right now is just a figment of backers imaginations outside of what Roberts has decided to show I don’t think it’s much of a stretch for MS or Sony to tell him to get the hell out but in much nicer terms.

But that’s besides the point. I thought this game was going to save computer gaming and not be for the *disgusted tone* console player base and that Roberts wouldn’t have to be held accountable to investors. Seems when the chips are on the table and money is tight he has no problem turning to investors who I’m sure have conditions that Roberts now has to follow 
    I don't, that's why I don't come around with the mvp argument like it's a good or a bad thing, the game can very well stand its own merits within such a release and due to the mmo-like development continues with mmo-like releases as the live service stands, all depends on the path taken. 

Games get set to release on console years before they are ready to release, only until the very late dev stages of the focused bug-fixing, optimization and overall polish the game will run within the intended specs, so no certification validation reviewing the software of that type could realistically have happened before a game is stable or optimized to not brick the console, that has to happen when its closer to its release.

Erillion said:
    Kefo said:
    ***snip*** I thought this game was going to save computer gaming and not be for the *disgusted tone* console player base ***snip***

Well, that is what YOU thought.

The dev team certainly never claimed to "save computer gaming".

And the console PLAYERS are very welcome. They just need a PC. Because the consoles available at the time the game was announced (and even the newer currently available consoles) were/are not sufficiently fast to run Star Citizen at the recommended settings. And these specs will not be reduced so SC can run on these consoles. If future consoles are powerful enough to run Star Citizen at the recommended level ... i personally do not think that anyone would object to (later) adapt SC to consoles.

What Roberts really said was:

"Roberts has been quite vocal about targeting Star Citizen as a PC exclusive, for one simple reason: the PC is the only platform that he considers powerful and versatile enough to give the kind of experience he wants. "What I was showing you can’t do on a current generation console," Roberts said of Star Citizen's initial proof of concept video. "You can do most of it on a next generation console, but I can promise you a top-end PC now is already more powerful than what a next generation console is going to be."

Roberts added that he hopes Star Citizen proves that a high-end PC is good for more than warmed-over ports of games made for the consoles. "I have a high-end gaming rig, but I’ve also got all the consoles, and if someone is making a game for a console first, and it’s being ported to the PC, I’m always buying it for the console. I don’t want a buggy port of a console game on my PC that doesn’t really show my PC off."

"I have an iPhone and I can watch The Dark Knight Rises on it, but I don’t want to watch The Dark Knight Rises on my iPhone—I want to see it in IMAX on a big screen, and I’m willing to spend $18 to see it on the big screen in IMAX versus downloading it for a couple of dollars on my iPhone. I definitely think there’s a PC gaming audience like that.”"

And 233 crowdfunded millions of dollars later indicate that he was correct in the assessment that there is an audience for that.

Chris Roberts also denied any of the "PC master race" hyperbole.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/20/chris-roberts-on-life-after-crowdfunding-games-vs-film/

"....It’s not so much about, “I’m part of the PC master race and you’re a puny console person.” It’s more a matter of whether you’re open or you’re closed. It’s why you’ve got League of Legends and all those. They’re on the PC because it’s open. It’s not an issue for them to distribute. But the business drives me nuts, because everybody in the trade obsesses about, “PC’s dead! Console is the new master race!” “Console is dead! Social games are the new master race!” Now mobile or tablet’s the new master race.

And you know what? There are people playing all these things. There are valid markets everywhere. Everywhere there’s proof of that. You can sell 29 million units of Call of Duty on a console. You can have tens of millions of people playing things like League of Legends and World of Tanks on PC. You can have tens of millions of people playing Clash of Clans on the mobile side. There’s not one ring to rule ‘em all, so to speak. There are different areas. It’s a matter of where you want to play. For me, Star Citizen works the best on the PC and online. ...."

So ...  YOU may claim that you "thought it will save computer gaming" .... but it was not the dev team that said that. They said SC will work best on the PC and will not work well on the current generation consoles.

Have fun
    TLDR 

seems I hit a sore spot with you to post that massive wall of text. And no I don’t think it will save anything but the white knights sure scream about it enough to make everyone think it will be the next coming of Christ for pc.
    Erillion
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:

I don't, that's why I don't come around with the mvp argument like it's a good or a bad thing, the game can very well stand its own merits within such a release and due to the mmo-like development continues with mmo-like releases as the live service stands, all depends on the path taken. 

Games get set to release on console years before they are ready to release, only until the very late dev stages of the focused bug-fixing, optimization and overall polish the game will run within the intended specs, so no certification validation reviewing the software of that type could realistically have happened before a game is stable or optimized to not brick the console, that has to happen when its closer to its release.

My bad was reading a outdated article about Sony’s approval process which I think has now changed.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Star Citizen has started publishing roadmap roundup to give us more details about the roadmap stuff:
      https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/spectrum-dispatch/17226-Roadmap-Roundup-September-6th-2019

Salvage is delayed again, this time from patch 3.8 to 4.0. Security Systems were also delayed from 3.8 to 4.0, and some expanded multicrew roles were delayed to 4.0.

The roadmap roundup had a lot of teasing us about stuff that's not in the roadmap yet, and no info about what is going on with SQ 42 chapters that they were supposed to do in Q2 not progressing at all.

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    LMAO so now they just dont delay it they give a bunch of nonsense as to WHY it was delayed. Basically giving the fanboys 'official' statements to cite when critics start laughing at delays continually piling up.

But eventually this too will all come back to bite them in the ass as the reasoning behind why they delayed something gets exposed. Most likely when they blame a delay on trying to coordinate it with something else. So then if the thing they coordinated it to also gets delayed then they can have a piggy back delay. So if they dont have armor for X class done because they want to release it with that class. So they 'delay' it. Then when X class also gets delayed the armor gets another delay. Then I suspect at some point they will reverse that and say they have to delay X class because during the delays the armor didnt get done. Or some technical issues due to the 'update' that caused the delay in the first place now the armor and the class have conflicts so one or the other or both will be delayed again.

Basically a shell game.
    bartoni33
    Basically a game in development that is progressing and is well supported by its crowdfunding backers. The number of supporters is still growing. The progress of Star Citizen is well covered by the gaming press. 

Have fun 

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    edited September 2019
    Jumping in to post something interesting.

I get regular Emails from RSI as a low level backer ( have to be specific, don't want to seem to be too stupid). I get one today with the title "Squadron 42 Update". I usually just Trash all emails about this game but I thought it would be interesting to see how they spin another delay.

After some LARPing about "Operatives around the world collected the intel needed to provide you with this progress report" and "The information contained in this communication is extremely sensitive and it is of paramount importance that it does not fall into the wrong hands. Purge all records after reading" it gets to the actual Dev processes.

After reading a wall of text I was amazed that nowhere in the Email did it say anything about a delay. Nothing. It was all the sweet smell of roses and unicorn farts. The ONE THING anyone cares about was not mentioned at all.

Take this as you will. Spin it as you see fit. I know what I got out of it. :/

EDIT: Oh yeah their is this little tidbit at the bottom of the "Briefing" under the heading "Covert Intel": An' I'm only doing good when I'm havin' fun. :o

Mayhaps I've stumbled onto something? Conspiracy minds want to know!

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

bartoni33 said:

I get regular Emails from RSI as a low level backer ( have to be specific, don't want to seem to be too stupid). I get one today with the title "Squadron 42 Update". I usually just Trash all emails about this game but I thought it would be interesting to see how they spin another delay.

After some LARPing about "Operatives around the world collected the intel needed to provide you with this progress report" and "The information contained in this communication is extremely sensitive and it is of paramount importance that it does not fall into the wrong hands. Purge all records after reading" it gets to the actual Dev processes.

After reading a wall of text I was amazed that nowhere in the Email did it say anything about a delay. Nothing. It was all the sweet smell of roses and unicorn farts. The ONE THING anyone cares about was not mentioned at all.

Interesting. I did not get such a mail. You are privileged. Or a Bothan ;-)

Have fun

edited September 2019
    Erillion said:
    bartoni33 said:

Have fun

I got it Sept 6 at 5PM local time. Cloudimperiumgames.com to be exact. Got them for years.

Any comment on my previous edit? :)

EDIT: Tried to paste a SS of the email but this sites still fucked up when it comes to images.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited September 2019
    Erillion said:
    About the MVP ....

"A minimum viable product (MVP) is a development technique in which a new product or website is developed with sufficient features to satisfy early adopters. The final, complete set of features is only designed and developed after considering feedback from the product's initial users."

"A minimum viable product (MVP) is the the most pared down version of a product that can still be released. An MVP has three key characteristics:

• It has enough value that people are willing to use it or buy it initially.
    • It demonstrates enough future benefit to retain early adopters.
    • It provides a feedback loop to guide future development.
    The catch to this development technique is that it assumes that early adopters can see the vision or promise of the final product and provide the valuable feedback needed to guide developers forward."

That MVP can be anything - even the game with all promised features. Its all a matter of definition what you consider "sufficient" to "satisfy the early adopters".

By the definition of this webpage even the current Alpha would already be an MVP
    • It has enough value that people are willing to use it or buy it initially. -- check
    • It demonstrates enough future benefit to retain early adopters.  --check (retained most early adopters, gained hundredthousands more)
    • It provides a feedback loop to guide future development. -- check (ongoing testing)
    "that early adopters can see the vision or promise of the final product and provide the valuable feedback needed to guide developers forward." -- check (see the huge amount of feedback from the community to the developers). The crowdfunding backers are the very definition of people that can see the vision and support it.

Have fun

How did you manage to find such muddled definitions? Let me help you.

The Minimum Viable Product and the Minimum Marketable Product

Summary

"The minimum viable product (MVP) is a powerful concept that allows you to test your ideas. It is not to be confused with the minimal marketable product (MMP), the product with the smallest feature set that still addresses the user needs and creates the right user experience. The MVP helps you acquire the relevant knowledge and address key risks; the MMP reduces time-to-market and enables you to launch your product faster. This post discusses both concepts, and it shows how you can use the minimum viable product to create a minimal marketable one"

https://dzone.com/articles/minimum-viable-product-and

Feel free to share with Chris as I'm not sure his team is clear on the difference either.

B)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited September 2019
    bartoni33 said:
    Erillion said:
    bartoni33 said:

Have fun

I got it Sept 6 at 5PM local time. Cloudimperiumgames.com to be exact. Got them for years.

EDIT: Tried to paste a SS of the email but this sites still fucked up when it comes to images.

I would love to see that part of the mail. Please screenshot and post it ! :-D 

*** wanders off to find a white cat for the perfect Blofeld vibe ***

Have fun 
    edited September 2019
    Erillion said:
    bartoni33 said:
    Erillion said:
    bartoni33 said:

Have fun

I would love to see that part of the mail. Please screenshot and post it ! :-D 

Have fun 

Sorry - I only see a „Covert Intel“ Logo and your signature

Have fun 
    Erillion said:

Have fun 
    Yeah as I said I have had issues for a few years not trying to post images here. I"ve tried straight copy/paste but when I hit "post comment" it does nothing. Maybe to big a wall of text. I'm not kidding, it's big.

Ahh I see. "Body is 15729 characters too long". Just saw that error pop up. Anyway just under the logo it just says " An' I'm only doing good when I'm havin' fun". I just thought it was funny because... you know!

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Erillion said:
    You can already find it through google:

https://mailchi.mp/cloudimperiumgames/squadron-42-update-141817
    bartoni33Erillion

edited September 2019
    Vrika said:
    Erillion said:
    You can already find it through google:

https://mailchi.mp/cloudimperiumgames/squadron-42-update-141817
    Yep that be the one.

So as I said complete wall of useless text signifying nothing. No mention of any actual information, like how it's being delayed again.