Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 Reveals Newest Living World Chapter, “The Icebrood Saga

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited August 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageGuild Wars 2 Reveals Newest Living World Chapter, “The Icebrood Saga

Announced via press release, Guild Wars 2 is set to receive the newest collection of episodic content, dubbed The Icebrood Saga.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    Nice! I like gw2. Still need updating to old skills, but a solid game with great content.
    Unbino
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    edited August 2019
    My boner disappeared before it even appeared.

No expansion.
    No Cantha.
    No elite specs.
    More PvP-locked cosmetics.

At least they didn't have the nerve to announce a fucking mobile spinoff.
    Nepheth
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    I was wondering about"expansion features".

Not sure why they are doubling down on 10 man content...
  • NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 473
    edited August 2019
    And they actually decided to make an announcement event for this... I mean really? I didn't have high expectations but I still got hugely disappointed. I'm seriously worried and curious about what's wrong with anet... This was really embarrassing to watch.

I still can't believe he started the event with saying how much content they added to the game since PoF released and how great that they added 500 cooking as the last example of these content releases. Why did they think it was a good decision to hype the community for a disappointing announcement like this?

Reddit and official forum are furious rn. If you didn't have anything to announce just make a damn trailer, like you always do, for the new season and get over with. What is the purpose of this event!?
    ShaihubyCaboSoulScellowLokeroJilyna
  • OhnoozeOhnooze Member UncommonPosts: 33
    Hows this game doing these days? Population and potential for it's future I mean....
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Ohnooze said:
    Hows this game doing these days? Population and potential for it's future I mean....
    Plenty of people still playing it.
    Arenanet is still producing content for it and looks like it will continue to do so for quite sometime.

However today's announcement was quite disappointing for the hype.
    OhnoozeUnbinoDakeru

..Cake..

• SequriemSequriem Member UncommonPosts: 24
    They shouldn't have hyped this stream
    ThupliDakeru
  • TruvidiennTruvidienn Member UncommonPosts: 320
    Lame.
  • micropimicropi Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    It was nice and all, but didn't deserve the live event at all
  • APThugAPThug Member RarePosts: 543
    I'm looking forward to the new stuff they announced, but I really don't think they needed to do this so called "big event" countdown for it.

If people are really disappointed with what they said, I understand. But they did say many times, this is a living story update. Which is exactly what it was, with some extra added updates like build templates and strikes etc.

Most people are upset mainly over no announcements of new fratcals, raids, spvp updates, and WvW updates. However, its been confirmed that swiss pvp is coming as well as spvp events, continued WvW events similar to the events they had before with no down state and getting skills of other classes after you defeat them.

There is a large portion of the community that want hardcore/ more endgame. But gw2 doesn't cater that much to those groups of people. Its mainly casuals. And thats why you'll continue to see more vets being dis-grunted or angry. But then again, what else is new? This whole casual vs hardcore can be found in almost all games outside of single player games.

• GreatnessGreatness Member UncommonPosts: 2,180
    Looks like fun, new content is new content although agree making it as expansions are more intriguing.
    Thupli

~Greatness~

Currently Playing:
    Nothing

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Nepheth said:
    And they actually decided to make an announcement event for this... I mean really? I didn't have high expectations but I still got hugely disappointed. I'm seriously worried and curious about what's wrong with anet... This was really embarrassing to watch.

I still can't believe he started the event with saying how much content they added to the game since PoF released and how great that they added 500 cooking as the last example of these content releases. Why did they think it was a good decision to hype the community for a disappointing announcement like this?

Reddit and official forum are furious rn. If you didn't have anything to announce just make a damn trailer, like you always do, for the new season and get over with. What is the purpose of this event!?
    The problem is that there is currently a LOT of people teetering on the edge.  A lot of recent ex-players were looking for something new to bring them back.  A lot of current players are starting to get tired of the same bland updates over and over.
    This hyped announcement was something akin to spitting in people's faces, but ANet is too dumb to even realize that they probably just chased more people away than they excited.

The game won't fall over dead anytime soon, but it's definitely at that turning point where decline is setting in.  The players are concerned over the game's future, and they had a big opportunity to - at the very least - just say something convincing even if they didn't have anything to show.
    Instead, they did the exact opposite.  Hyped up an event that literally delivered nothing but "keeping the status quo".

I was thinking about updating the game and checking back in, since it's around the time of year for birthday gifts/holidays(soon), but it's clear that they are just spinning their tires still.
    One of the things I hate most about the game is the LS focus.  They waste all their time on those stupid LS instances and gem shop equipment to the detriment of supporting real development of an actual game world.

And what's up with their stupid merchandise partnerships?  If they spent as much effort on their own product as they do trying to secure random, hard-to-comprehend merchandise partnerships, they could have a solid roadmap.
    At this point, it does feel like they are just basically milking the last few drops as the milkcow dries up.
    Thupli
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    edited August 2019
    The best part of the announcement was in the first 5 mins or so when they announced that PoF now gives you HoT free of charge.

Basically they no longer sell HoT as it included with PoF.

Which allowed my to buy PoF, from DLgamer who is an official retailer, for 20$ and it gave me HoT too when I applied the serial code.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    The "meh" is overwhelming.
  • gelraengelraen Member UncommonPosts: 316
    My take on all of this announcement is that, a couple of months back there was a huge wave of whining on the forums and reddit. They decided to stack two of the "festivals" together, which is pretty well filler content between their big living story map releases, and the word going around was that there was not going to be an expansion, based on Arenanets comments, but instead, the game would head straight into a new Living World season.

I imagine all of this community discontent created a little panic internally, and they rushed together a big "announcement" event, trying to appease fans. Inevitably, this backfired, because they really didn't have enough content in the pipeline to fill out such an event. It felt like the team was pushed out in front of the cameras.

It's tough to say where the game is really going. As a long time player, I think some of the new content ideas announced (strike teams for example) sound interesting. However, it does seem like the company is really just holding it together after the big layoffs earlier in the year. I've worked at game companies for over a decade and a half, and I know this kind of thing is a big hit to morale. Kudos for them for actually pushing out something in the near future at all.

To answer the above questions, there is a healthy amount of people in-game, but I personally feel it is in a very uncertain spot right now. If the new content pushes out of the regular formula, the game will probably keep going and gain some population back. If it is just more of the same living world stuff we usually get between expacs, then I think there will be a slow decline.
    I guess I have to accept that I'll never get to an experience a modern take on Cantha - the best region they've ever created.

The last few years have felt like a waste for me. I always felt like Elona and the Maguuma Jungle were the worst parts of their world.
  • fatpandafatpanda Member UncommonPosts: 116

Aeander said:

No expansion.
    No Cantha.
    No elite specs.

It's free to play. STFU. Entitled ass people.
    Aeander
    edited September 2019
    fatpanda said:

Aeander said:

No expansion.
    No Cantha.
    No elite specs.

It's free to play. STFU. Entitled ass people.
    Buy to play with a free trial, and I've monetarily supported the devs more than most. 

Even my "entitlement" is wanting a reason to support them again. Not that you are capable of understanding that.

Post edited by Aeander on