Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Eorzea Prospect - Final Fantasy XIV - The Dark Side Of The Community - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited September 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageThe Eorzea Prospect - Final Fantasy XIV - The Dark Side Of The Community - MMORPG.com

A few weeks ago, an article was written that talked about how friendly and helpful the FFXIV community is. While I don’t necessarily disagree with those statements, the community also has a seriously deep issue with toxicity and impatience for new players.

Read the full story here

Comments

• XeliphXeliph Member UncommonPosts: 8
    The shitters should join an appropriate party.

If they don't want do look up a guide/watch a video, they should join or create a fully blind party. Can't fill it this late in the tier? Tough shit, either keep trying or adapt to what the other parties want. There is no reason to waste 7 other people's time because you want to go in blind in a practice party thats already halfway through the fight, or god forbid, a clear party. That is outright incredibly selfish, and you deserve to be flamed for blatantly ignoring the PF description.

In your first picture "will replace if too many mistakes" is perfectly fair. Are you really saying the other 7 people should just sit there and wait as someone fucks up multiple times in a row, instead of just kicking them and getting someone better? In the SAME exact screenshot there are FOUR practice parties for that same fight. If someone is not confident in their ability to not fuck up, they need more practice, of which there is clearly plenty, as you can see.

The world does not revolve around any one singular person, they need to consider what the other 7 people want out of the PF, and teaching someone shit they should know is not what they want.

TL;DR: practice more
    it's not your parties job to carry your ass because you're too lazy/unwilling to look up a guide, and don't want to join one of the many practice parties before trying to leech off of a clear party
    pantaroMcOdenbartoni33mallettjtWhiskeydustCanyen109SoulsemmeranemoSequriemSignexand 15 others.
  • XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451
    edited September 2019
    I honestly see nothing wrong with the EDEN recruitment. I personally would do the same thing and have many many times.

There are always 3 kinds of party finders put up.

1) New player learning groups. This is for those who are new to the fight to learn the mechanics. Mistakes are common here and it is expected that people are getting the basics. In upper endgame these are expected to NOT clear the content.

2) Learning groups to a spot. Example "Eden ES1 Learning groups, Know up to Fragor Maximus". This is a spot where they are working on a clear and are at a certain point and only want ppl at that point or further to prevent wasting alot of time reteaching ppl earlier mechanics.

3) Clear/Farming groups. These are for those who have already spent hours/days working on it that want the clear without huge amounts of time wasted on new people learning.

If you are in a learning party no one should ever rip others apart because the point is to learn the fight and no one should ever rip someone apart for anything through Duty Finder because that content is scaled for the new players and those who just want to enjoy the story.

But if you are in a clear groups and you mess up alot.... you should expect to be removed or warned that you will be removed if you do not step it up. The three strike rule is honestly fair. You cause a raid wipe 3 times in a clear group you are out.

Especially in things such as Savage Eden. If you have a group with multiple new people in it that know nothing of the fight it could take several HOURS to DAYS to clear depending on the tier. The difficulty of these fights is why alot of people expect those to watch videos when joining parties. Because 1 mistake from a single player will cause a raid wipe. If a known strategy is out there it is expected you at least sorta know what is going on.

The only thing I would ever do in a learning party is replace someone who is just grossly underperfoming. Aka people who never even learned the basics of their Job. This happens alot with people who used Trust the whole time and never partied and used Skip Potions before that. At endgame you are expected to know your job. In Savage Eden you are expected to have a near mastery of it. Learning it at endgame content is a big no.

For people who skipped and such please
    1) do the tutorials they give you.
    2) Watch Videos of people who know the job about rotations.
    3) USE THE DUMMIES AT EULMORE. These test your rotation and dps for each endgame fight. If you are unable to clear the dummy your not playing or not geared enough to clear the content you are going into. AKA If you are only getting it to 30% when the timer runs out... you are not good enough for the fight yet.
    bartoni33mallettjtwingoodmomintim
  • TenohiraTenohira Member UncommonPosts: 14
    As a longtime FFXIV player, this is comes to no surprise as it is prevalent in all MMOs. As End-game usually attract some terrible people, do not lets that deter you from experience the content because there actually great people who are willing and patient help you learn and complete it.
    pantaroWhiskeydustWhiteshade92onelesslightFolmenwingoodAshikuroTacticalZombeh
  • pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515

Tenohira said:

As a longtime FFXIV player, this is comes to no surprise as it is prevalent in all MMOs. As End-game usually attract some terrible people, do not lets that deter you from experience the content because there actually great people who are willing and patient help you learn and complete it.

i find it is just the way things are in the "POPULAR" MMO's. the larger the player base the more bad apples your gonna find. After seeing the FF14 communities reaction to anyone who doesnt fawn over shadowbringers i'm really not surprised at all.

luckily for those people who this game appeals to there are players like you who focus on what matters most embracing new people!
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

pantaro said:

Tenohira said:

i find it is just the way things are in the "POPULAR" MMO's. the larger the player base the more bad apples your gonna find. After seeing the FF14 communities reaction to anyone who doesnt fawn over shadowbringers i'm really not surprised at all.

luckily for those people who this game appeals to there are players like you who focus on what matters most embracing new people!

nah its there in all MMO, when you want a fast run and not mistakes because you have other dungeons to run, even worse if you already have gear a lot stronger then need to finish said dungeon, no one will wait for you, I normally don't even join low gear groups, because when I was lower no one would let me so why bother? or you get a friends group or get ready for the LFG random peeps
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited September 2019
    Lol this article is pretty silly. EVERY GAME has good and bad people in it. People like to use umbrella terms to make themselves feel better because that's how society works. When you see the news/media throw out polls and junk numbers like that, those are sample populations (aka an unrealistically low amount of data points usually within the hundreds/thousands, used to represent millions....because humans need categories to function).

THE REALITY is some people have worse luck than others running into dicks. This doesn't help that FFXIV's "raiding" group participation size is usually smaller (8 players), so pressure increases as well as the pool of people getting tighter. Its just like why wow was 'known to have the most toxic community' in mmorpg gaming simply because it was the highest player game coupled with one of the highest activity participation vacancies (40 man raiding, the chances of all 39 other people being dicks is low....). Lets not forget that most people want to just join randoms because its most convenient for them, in a world where you more than likely not going to meet the same person twice in a hour unless you want to, so this further increases the chance of people being dicks.

At the end of the day, unless you make friends, you're going to have a higher chance of running into dicks and even then, those friends might be dicks to others, so go make friends you nerds and stop being selfish thinking you should be able to solo queue the world. 'Convenience' will always have consequences.

P.S.: Some people just need to be told they suck when they are doing something they just arent meant to be doing and take that as the community is 'toxic.' The world has become so soft lately and not everyone gives/receives bad news the same way. If you're making the same mistake 10 times in a fight, you can't blame other people for not wanting to waste their time waiting for you to 'eventually' get it right. Everyone has their own breaking point which is further altered by how much time they have and how they currently feel, so if you're offended by that.....grow up.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    Well based on some of the replies to this article it would seem the author's point was proven. People take raiding in FFXIV too serious. Most games I have PUG'd in over the years people rarely speak, even if someone is messing up. We just finish it, or don't and move on with our lives.
    pantaroWarzodmallettjtAsch126onelesslighttirwen[Deleted User]wingoodhallucigenocideScottJeslisand 2 others.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• mallettjtmallettjt Member UncommonPosts: 102

Xeliph said:

The shitters should join an appropriate party.

If they don't want do look up a guide/watch a video, they should join or create a fully blind party. Can't fill it this late in the tier? Tough shit, either keep trying or adapt to what the other parties want. There is no reason to waste 7 other people's time because you want to go in blind in a practice party thats already halfway through the fight, or god forbid, a clear party. That is outright incredibly selfish, and you deserve to be flamed for blatantly ignoring the PF description.

In your first picture "will replace if too many mistakes" is perfectly fair. Are you really saying the other 7 people should just sit there and wait as someone fucks up multiple times in a row, instead of just kicking them and getting someone better? In the SAME exact screenshot there are FOUR practice parties for that same fight. If someone is not confident in their ability to not fuck up, they need more practice, of which there is clearly plenty, as you can see.

The world does not revolve around any one singular person, they need to consider what the other 7 people want out of the PF, and teaching someone shit they should know is not what they want.

TL;DR: practice more

it's not your parties job to carry your ass because you're too lazy/unwilling to look up a guide, and don't want to join one of the many practice parties before trying to leech off of a clear party

Well said. If your joining a permafrost group you need to follow their rules. You can’t just go in and expect them to cater to you. That’s extremely rude and selfish. Also savage is optional. If your going into very hard content like that many people are going to be competitive. Expecting to go into savage blind and not get yelled at is dillusional and unrealistic. After the first 48 hours everyone expects you to have watched a guide.
  • mallettjtmallettjt Member UncommonPosts: 102

Tiller said:

Well based on some of the replies to this article it would seem the author's point was proven. People take raiding in FFXIV too serious. Most games I have PUG'd in over the years people rarely speak, even if someone is messing up. We just finish it, or don't and move on with our lives.

Yea you don’t really put savage unless it’s the last one or two people so that point is moot. Savage is hyper competitive end game it’s not something you jump into blind. And refuting an argument doesnt prove it that is a child’s logic.
    momintim
  • ScellowScellow Member RarePosts: 398
    no place for casuals in competitive environment, if you can't deal with that, you choosed the wrong hobby/job
    onelesslightBrimstonelovViper482wingoodScottJeslis
  • DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 403
    It's not the players fault its the game design same goes for Destiny and Destiny 2 all 3 games have in common endgame that has wipe mechanics which in most cases require all party members to know every single move what to do if 1 dosent all wipe, and then it's the DPS race if you dont have BiS most likely wipe cause it took to long. That is way I like older games better, in FF11 we did end game with friends that were not level cap yet all it mattered was what they brought to the table ex. RDM did refresh his level didnt matter.
    Viper482tirwen
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    Join a guild, let them teach you the ropes, enjoy the game more.
    SignexwingoodLhumierreTacticalZombeh
  • Asch126Asch126 Member RarePosts: 543
    Imagine being so sensitive that you cry like a baby on your husband's shoulder because some random people on FFXIV got mad at your mistake.
    Viper482ZephyrjinxwingoodAshikuro
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364
    edited September 2019

Asch126 said:

Imagine being so sensitive that you cry like a baby on your husband's shoulder because some random people on FFXIV got mad at your mistake.

yeah the new generations are soft as cotton ....but is no wonder the actual society trys to dont hurt "feelings" nor say bad things at any1....not even when kids make mistakes.
    Viper482wingood
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I will say this outright...

When i played FFXI for umm around up to 7-8 years everything was friendly as heck.Then all of a sudden some new players would arrive and start this whole SPEED RACE RACE,everything was a race to finish everything as fast as possible.

This is why when you often hear say things like 99% of mmorpg gamer's are NOT there for a RPG experience,they belong more in a WOW atmosphere,show off,brag,run your instances 24/7,look at yourself on leader boards...world firsts yada yada the whole ME ME syndrome.

Now with FFXIV i was there in the beginning,it didn't seem too bad but mostly because people were running in blind.Here is the funny part,ALL of those early players that did not have a clue,no video to watch had to rely on each other having PATIENCE.They had to work together to figure things out.
    Now fast forward,all those people seem to forget their past,now all of a sudden they are self proclaimed elitists with some big rush to get nowhere fast.

Bottom line,tons and tons of idiots out there,they join a MMO that is about working together yet ALWAYS think of ME ME first.I don't want this noob because it slows ME down,i don't want to help a noob because i am an elitist now watch ME roar.

I feel sorry for all those having to endure gaming now a days,you missed some real fun times in the early years of FFXI,nothing was a rush,wander around and explore,people were willing to try anything because ...why not,it's just a game.
    onelesslighttirwenwingoodTacticalZombeh

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    The biggest problem with mmorpg's and why there is such a problem with communities is one of my biggest peeves>>>Instances.Go get the best loot,learn a few sequences get best loot.

If that is the best developers can do for content,then to me they are amateur hour designers.Hey we have 150 instances,we have 50 raids...hey good for you...i don't care,it is lazy rubbish content.
    Nhisso13Ashikuro

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• iamspamicusiamspamicus Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Was like this in the first ff online. People wanted you to know how to do dungeons or you got kicked. Was frustrating trying to find a group that was patient and was willing to help you learn it. Walkthroughs for dungeons on youtube werent really a thing back then either.
  • Changeling_KuChangeling_Ku Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    "Must have watched the video" is the same kinda people that buy 'strategy guides with their video games. Theres 2 kind of people. The kind that are too lazy or impatient to try and figure it out on their own. And the type that like to experience it as it happens and enjoy the surprise and mystery. Not that the 1st is a bad thing. Just enjoy the game you pay for the way you want to enjoy it.
    pantarowingood
  • SignexSignex Member UncommonPosts: 318
    In my 2000+ hours of playtime as a new player i only got called retard once. But i do avoid savage cause it will be too challenging for me.

It's way worse in WoW, so i'm glad that they've added LFR so i can follow the story and defeat the main boss in raids.
    Lhumierre
    AMD Ryzen 5800X3D - Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3080 10G Master - 16GB RAM
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    The Story mechanics aren't too bad in the game.   You can honestly go in only remembering previous story bosses and do fine, since a new boss will only introduce one or two mechanics at worst.   Likewise the game has some really good indicators for what you're supposed to do (Group to share, split up, avoid areas in this pattern, break chains, and similar).   Likewise the game also gives rewards to the whole party for first time play throughs, along with story missions being ridiculously forgiving.

End game content.  I think both sides are being silly.   Either the "expert" that's trying to PUG their way through endgame, or the newbie who expects to go in not knowing what's coming.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• zeroscloudzeroscloud Member UncommonPosts: 53
    There will always be those types who want an easy farm or to destroy top current content. If you are new you shouldn't be rolling with them. Try a casual linkshell/guild, learn the ropes and decide if you want to be around those types of people. I've seen a few of these types around simple choice is to avoid them, they honestly dont go out of their way to mess with people.
  • MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689
    as someone who has been playing mmos since their dawn this is not shocking at all. Honestly i don't play ffxiv anymore due to the community being very poor.
    [Deleted User]wingood

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• Nhisso13Nhisso13 Member UncommonPosts: 74
    Been playing since release. Never once had someone freak out on a new player or someone unfamliliar with mechanics. And i play with randoms all the time. I do run in to moron tanks and healers who dont listen and then they get made fun of aftet that. Ffxiv is the least toxic community ive ever seen.
    FOH with this b s article
    momintim

as someone who has been playing mmos since their dawn this is not shocking at all. Honestly i don't play ffxiv anymore due to the community being very poor.

Wow. Lol.
    Tenohira

Wizardry said:

The biggest problem with mmorpg's and why there is such a problem with communities is one of my biggest peeves>>>Instances.Go get the best loot,learn a few sequences get best loot.

If that is the best developers can do for content,then to me they are amateur hour designers.Hey we have 150 instances,we have 50 raids...hey good for you...i don't care,it is lazy rubbish content.

Mmos arent for you.
    Lhumierre