Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Control: A Ray Tracing Masterpiece And Triumph Of Unrelenting PC Power - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited September 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageControl: A Ray Tracing Masterpiece And Triumph Of Unrelenting PC Power - MMORPG.com

Remedy's Control is unquestionably the best looking game I've ever seen. Control on PC is nothing short of a technical masterpiece. Join us for this deep dive into the new standard bearer for ray tracing.

Read the full story here

Ozmodan

Comments

• renstarensta Member RarePosts: 728
    Eh.. still just minor fluff, i guess nothing game changing for at least ten more years.
    FolmenOzmodanKyleranPhry

Basically clicking away text windows ruins every MMO, try to have fun instead of rushing things. Without story and lore all there is left is a bunch of mechanics.
    Add Multi-Quote

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I watched a bunch of videos going through the various tech and nothing at all impressed me and was barely noticeable.They had to tell me what i was looking for because i wouldn't have noticed anything.

So what is more important than lighting effects>>>game play.The game play looks bland...boring,some say nothing more than an Alan Wake sequel.
    So idk who this is suppose to entice...impress,the people with very high end machines drooling over anything to crank their settings?To me this is not a game i would purchase no matter what type of PC i owned.
    FolmenKhorraxLackingMMO

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209

Wizardry said:

I watched a bunch of videos going through the various tech and nothing at all impressed me and was barely noticeable.They had to tell me what i was looking for because i wouldn't have noticed anything.

So what is more important than lighting effects>>>game play.The game play looks bland...boring,some say nothing more than an Alan Wake sequel.

So idk who this is suppose to entice...impress,the people with very high end machines drooling over anything to crank their settings?To me this is not a game i would purchase no matter what type of PC i owned.

Nothing more than an Alan Wake sequel... LOL

dude how many people do you have writing troll comments for you.
    Folmen
  • vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    edited September 2019
    It's staggering the amount of fps drop with ray tracing vs no ray tracing. without my 1070ti manage constant 60-70 fps, with ray tracing 10-15 fps (yeah can't really play it) at current price rtx gpu is too expensive for me. but I agree ray tracing even it's a minor improvement it makes the game really looks good.
    Ozmodan
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Ray tracing a lot of noise about nothing.  I have to question anyone's objectivity that gets excited about it at this stage of technology.
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Good thing those differences meant little to nothing to me. Now I dont need to spend lots more money for ray tracing!
  • neutrinoideneutrinoide Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Poeple shooting at me. Hoooo look at this little detail in the corner of my screen. This is so stupid.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited September 2019
    This game was a good example of how to use the tech. Unfortunately, the game itself was eh. SE's next FF is supposedly using this tech (if anyone remembers that 'tease' from like 4 years ago or so before they called FF versus XIII FFXV). That said, its unfortunate that the 'average' PC gamer wont really be experiencing this level of settings. Console definitely can't handle it atm either, so here's hoping PS5 specs are decent since you already need an above average pc to get good visual results from a game like this.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    I respect the tricks developers use to squeeze the most visually stunning looks from normal hardware.

The folks who get the most out of RTX cards right now are those 3D guys looking for budget ways to cut down on render times for photo-realistic effects.

It's cool to look at when you stop to admire it, but it's not noticeable enough to be worth the money.
    [Deleted User]Ozmodan
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • neutrinoideneutrinoide Member UncommonPosts: 45
    DMKano said:

Poeple shooting at me. Hoooo look at this little detail in the corner of my screen. This is so stupid.

Because you are failing to consider the overall experience when you play this with RTX on on hardware that can handle it at high frame rates.

It feels incredibly immersive - it's not about stopping to see some stupid detail - it's how the game FEELS when you play it with RTX on and how much worse it feels with it off.

Again in this case the screenshots and the videos - it just doesn't compare to how it is when you play it yourself - then you'd realize - oh yeah now I see what they are talking about.

Players often talk about immersion - as far as visual immersion - this game is the best I've ever played period (with RTX on obviously - with it off - it's pretty meh)

Blahblah blah
  • SplattrSplattr Member RarePosts: 543
    Thank you for highlighting the differences in each scene. Some of them are very obvious like the reflections in the windows but some like the yellow hue on the pipe scene would have been missed by me completely. Lack of ray tracing doesn't automatically mean a game will look like shit, but it does make a difference. 10 years ago we were amazed by the graphics quality of new games but looking back at it now you just laugh at it wondering what you were thinking. That is how ray tracing will be but even more so since it is more than just throwing more polygons onto the screen.

I still can't justify throwing hundreds of dollars down on a new RTX card, but articles like this have convinced me that any new card purchase in my future will have ray tracing capabilities.
    lotrlore
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Ray tracing on this level is limiting. If they mentioned noise, that means there is some type of refraction going on which is compute intensive. Refraction makes the shadows look 100 times better but you usually need to do alot of passes to prevent excessive noise.
    I wouldn't expect any game developer who wasn't paid for the full production of the game from nVidia to implement this since the consumer base isn't ready.
    [Deleted User]LimnicOzmodan
  • renstarensta Member RarePosts: 728

DMKano said:

rensta said:

Eh.. still just minor fluff, i guess nothing game changing for at least ten more years.

The screenshots don't do it justice.

Once you play this first hand (needs a super beefy card - I play on 2080 TI) - and then you turn RTX off - it's really hits you just how bad the game looks without all the real time reflections.

I had initially the same reaction - like this is really nothing - until I played it first hand - and then I was like - damn - the difference is immense in terms of immersion.

Ok, point taken, will respect your experience and will pass judgment after experiencing it myself, does make sense that shadow details don't get justice through still images.

Basically clicking away text windows ruins every MMO, try to have fun instead of rushing things. Without story and lore all there is left is a bunch of mechanics.
    Add Multi-Quote

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    But can it run Crysis?

maybe we have a new contender for benchmark game, 
    [Deleted User]
  • SplitStream13SplitStream13 Member UncommonPosts: 250
    The game is pretty boring with a lot of fetch quests. It's not worth it for the eye candy alone. It looks like a tech demo. Honestly if I had to compare it to another game, I'd go with Crysis. They turn the graphics into 11 but the gameplay is nothing to write home about...
  • GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815

Arterius said:

Good game. The only problem I had is the ending doesn't resolve anything meaning that your going to have to buy the DLC to see how the story ends. Also, even for someone who read every lore note he could fine (Almost 180 of them) I was still very confused by what the heck was going on in the last hour. That kind of derailed the whole game for me.

Chapter 9 did that for me as well. That level was so bonkers and insane that I wish the whole game was like that.

Spoiler man shit. I dont want to know how the ending is.
    [Deleted User]
  • LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    Cleffy said:
    Ray tracing on this level is limiting. If they mentioned noise, that means there is some type of refraction going on which is compute intensive. Refraction makes the shadows look 100 times better but you usually need to do alot of passes to prevent excessive noise.
    I wouldn't expect any game developer who wasn't paid for the full production of the game from nVidia to implement this since the consumer base isn't ready.
    Right now we still do things like stencil shadows with a gradient fade/blur pass that can get close enough. The mainstream jump to ray will really demand hardware cost to lower enough with broad enough increase in processing power for details like that to not be a barrier/hiccup in quality during the leap.
  • HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    The technology is impressive and anyone thinking it's not needs to use this example.  Imagine taking the properties and light refracting from the sun and apply it to the game.  That's what this tech can do.  Give it time, a real well fed and invested company is going to come along and give VR/AR a real experience, there will be something very true to life coming in 5yrs time. Mark my words.
    Ozmodan
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    DMKano said:
    Albatroes said:
    This game was a good example of how to use the tech. Unfortunately, the game itself was eh. SE's next FF is supposedly using this tech (if anyone remembers that 'tease' from like 4 years ago or so before they called FF versus XIII FFXV). That said, its unfortunate that the 'average' PC gamer wont really be experiencing this level of settings. Console definitely can't handle it atm either, so here's hoping PS5 specs are decent since you already need an above average pc to get good visual results from a game like this.

Even folks with 2060 RTXs won't be experiencing it - IMO 2080 TI or bust for this game
    Wrong. I have a 2060 with i7 6700K OC 4Ghz 16GB RAM and it runs great.
    Ozmodan

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    In a scene that *might* be visible for 1-3 seconds (when the character/camera are stationary), who can really notice the difference?  I certainly can't.  I have bad, old eyes with several eye surgeries in my past (and a couple more needed).  I'd much rather focus on the thing I'm trying to do in game rather than reflections on wood paneling, shadows of an ink pen on a desk, or the color of lights passing some orange pipes.  Who installs orange pipes anyway?

While the technological difference might be visible to many, what does the "enhanced" image bring in terms of satisfying game play?  That may improve hunt-the-pixel games, but not the games I play or want to play.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    Hashbrick said:
    The technology is impressive and anyone thinking it's not needs to use this example.  Imagine taking the properties and light refracting from the sun and apply it to the game.  That's what this tech can do.  Give it time, a real well fed and invested company is going to come along and give VR/AR a real experience, there will be something very true to life coming in 5yrs time. Mark my words.
    It being impressive does not mean it's practical yet. That's perhaps the only major criticism that's been levied. What we can do real-time with the technology is very finite in scope currently and in some cases does not outperform the hack-job methods that have been used as alternatives.

Once the technology and perhaps more importantly the hardware develops far enough to support more detailed and complex use cases, then it will pan out.

"Give it time." is effectively the main criticism you just admonished. It's cool, but just not "there" yet.
  • bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    DMKano said:
    bartoni33 said:
    DMKano said:
    Albatroes said:

Even folks with 2060 RTXs won't be experiencing it - IMO 2080 TI or bust for this game
    Wrong. I have a 2060 with i7 6700K OC 4Ghz 16GB RAM and it runs great.

Do you have dlss enabled? DLSS kills the image quality.

Try max settings without dlss - then come back and  me how it runs lol
    Everything max except film grain. Trust me I run a clean rig. No bullshit running while I play.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Seen a few youtube video's of the gameplay, didn't look all that impressive but that could be because they were mostly console versions of the game, but even the graphics aside, i wasn't really that impressed by the gameplay anyway so probably not my kind of game. Probably a much better looking game on PC but meh, hard pass. :/
    Ozmodan
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited September 2019
    ^ double entendre

[Deleted User]
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    edited September 2019
    Limnic said:
    Cleffy said:
    Right now we still do things like stencil shadows with a gradient fade/blur pass that can get close enough. The mainstream jump to ray will really demand hardware cost to lower enough with broad enough increase in processing power for details like that to not be a barrier/hiccup in quality during the leap.
    What I meant by this is that I usually associate noise when raytracing with transparent objects that have an RI other than 1.0. It could also be reflected light. I would love to have real time ray-tracing that can do refraction. But with a GPU and Blender, at best I am looking at 50 seconds a frame before denoising. I haven't given Eevee a whirl yet which I hear can do real time.
    Ozmodan