Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Streamers are NOT fun to group with.

GeekyGeeky Member UncommonPosts: 446
Just started playing an MMO again.  WoW: Classic, and there are a few people in my guild who stream. They aren't big names they have minimal "followers" but they seem to think they must be loud, "entertaining", or some type of character they entire time during groups.  I'm sure they're like this their entire play session but luckily I only notice it when I'm grouped with them.  I muted them now for the majority of the group which sucks because I typically like to be involved in chatting when I play.  But regardless, I have an ominous feeling this might start to become just how it is now that everything thinks they can be the next Ninja or something.
JeffSpicoliScotPhryIr1shguyAlBQuirkyKyleranSpottyGekkoCryomatrixjonp200Phaserlightand 3 others.

Comments

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    I wouldn't be able to deal with that either, Just join another guild. From what i understand there are a few "dedicated streamer servers" on classic, not sure which those are but sounds like you are on one.
    ScotIr1shguyPhaserlightxmenty
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824
    edited September 2019
    Some guilds are doing their best to cut down on streamers. While it is true that the mentality of a streamer is such that they won't stay in most games long you can't rely on that. They do pick certain games as regulars, they will still be in WoW Classic in a months time.

Stay away from any streamer servers, make sure you have a guild that does not tolerate them. Social media brought in a number of issues which have affected MMORPG's from seeming to want to communicate more on Twitter than on official forums or substituting Discord for text chat  (nothing wrong with Discord but they wanted to stop guild text chat). Streamers are just the latest problem social media is causing players.
    bartoni33AlBQuirky
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Can you imagine how bad it would be if you were in a PVP guild and you had a streamer, it would be like having a mole, minor inconvenience, maybe, in WoW, but for games like Eve Online they are a major threat to operational security.  :/
    JeffSpicoliScot
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I think this sentiment applies to all people who play games *with an agenda*.  Whether they are busy telling Chuck Norris jokes in world chat, streaming, or doing something else, they tend to not be paying attention to the game and their group mates.  If the game is only interesting as long as a person is streaming, they need to simply find something else to do.  There are distracted driver laws for a reason.  :)

ScotAlBQuirky[Deleted User]kitarad

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• GeekyGeeky Member UncommonPosts: 446
    To make matter worse, one of these streamers doesn't use Push to Talk, they have an open mic constatnly, so I hear him cough, sniff is nose, typing....so annoying.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Geeky said:
    To make matter worse, one of these streamers doesn't use Push to Talk, they have an open mic constatnly, so I hear him cough, sniff is nose, typing....so annoying.
    Next time you're grouped with that guy may be a perfect time to practice that opera you always thought you wanted to sing.

Arglebargle

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Geeky said:
     O thats a easy fix then. Just say some shit that is against TOS while this inconsiderate prick is casting. It doesn't have to be racist or over the top offensive, Twitch has a mile long list of rules including shit as trivial as talking ILL about another streamer. Just pick a streamer you dislike and start talking about how much they suck on his open Mic, dude will get scared and avoid you. 
    Horusraanemobartoni33
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    Geeky said:
     O thats a easy fix then. Just say some shit that is against TOS while this inconsiderate prick is casting. It doesn't have to be racist or over the top offensive, Twitch has a mile long list of rules including shit as trivial as talking ILL about another streamer. Just pick a streamer you dislike and start talking about how much they suck on his open Mic, dude will get scared and avoid you. 
    Bonuse points if you're someone they can't mute.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Too many people are trying to use this as easy money atm, pretty much why I'm not gonna join any guild probably for a month or 2 once the 'well dries up' so to speak. A more stable playerbase will form and the 'attention' will die down at least until phase 3 (or was it 4) when they add battlegrounds.
    Scot
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Steamers have at least one eye on their own Twitch Chat, if not  both. Twitch is all about "viewer interaction", so streamers will be dividing their attention.

Not that WoW is super tough ;)
    Scot

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited September 2019
    Phry said:
    Can you imagine how bad it would be if you were in a PVP guild and you had a streamer, it would be like having a mole, minor inconvenience, maybe, in WoW, but for games like Eve Online they are a major threat to operational security.  :/
    Yet EVE has its popular streamers, my guess is they are more free agents or stream major events after they've gotten underway rather than involved in any covert OPS activities.

https://www.eveonline.com/now/surviving-the-abyss-together

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    As someone who started streaming a few months ago, it is kind of more fun streaming and playing a game than just playing a game, of course if you play more single player oriented games then it is true.

Not everyone streams for money . . . I lose money by streaming in terms of opportunity cost.
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Geeky said:
    Tell him to use 2 separate voice channels. No reason he can't have an open mic for twitch and a push to talk for your guilds voice comms. Not doing so is auto mutable to me.
    Sovrath
    As someone who started streaming a few months ago, it is kind of more fun streaming and playing a game than just playing a game, of course if you play more single player oriented games then it is true.

I don't think I'd mind if that person streaming wasn't obnoxiously obvious that they are "acting" up so they can get views, or comments on the Twitch, or points or whatever they get.  It's extra annoying when they are talking to Twitch while grouped with us and our game play is hindered and affected to the point we don't know if we should talk, if they are talking to us, if they are even paying attention to us.  It's painful because I don't see it getting better, but more people will probably start doing it as they think it'll be their way to fame and riches.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071
    I streamed this the other day, and I think I said three words out loud the entire 35 minute period:

I started this more or less on a lark, and the audio configuration is due to the quirkiness in the streaming software (OBS) defaults.  The first time I streamed I was expecting the audio to come from the game, not me, so I didn't say much.  I somehow like the unintentional-ASMR-like quality of it so on the second go around I am just rolling with it.

I could not care less about how many followers I get or what people think of my personality.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    edited September 2019
    They wanted to be different on stream, otherwise their game stream will be the same as any other streamer. and when they play they have audience. shrug.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    To me it is funny. I picture trying to play with some guy trying to be the life of the party. 

[Raid Leader] Target <A Giant Dragon>.

[Streamer] Did someone say dragon? What is a dragon really? I mean, who needs something whose name begins with "drag?" 

[Streamer] Thanks folks I will be here all week. Be sure and tip the wait staff. 
    ScotPhaserlightAlBQuirky

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Amathe said:
    To me it is funny. I picture trying to play with some guy trying to be the life of the party. 

[Streamer] Did someone say dragon? What is a dragon really? I mean, who needs something whose name begins with "drag?" 

[Streamer] Thanks folks I will be here all week. Be sure and tip the wait staff. 
    Basically what it was like.  The guy wouldn't stop talking.   Talking for no reason.  Being vulgar for no reason.  Trying to be funny, trying too hard and since he knew that wasn't working, he'd just drop a string of curse words.
    Amathe
    Geeky said:
    Amathe said:

Basically what it was like.  The guy wouldn't stop talking.   Talking for no reason.  Being vulgar for no reason.  Trying to be funny, trying too hard and since he knew that wasn't working, he'd just drop a string of curse words.
    Whats this clowns name, im curious to check him out now lol
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• fcweddfcwedd Member UncommonPosts: 196
    This is the single reason why I hate twitch. Everyone is just so annoying. Ugh.
    I can see how a streamer in a grouo chat can be annoying like a person on a phone on the train.

I dont have that problem though as i usually play by myself, plus im considerate to others, i only scream obscenities at other players.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Not everyone streams for money . . . I lose money by streaming in terms of opportunity cost.
    I'd watch your streams just to see one of your epic rage episodes, preferably with mouse abuse.

;)
    Phaserlight

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    I can definitely see the pitfalls.  PPL trying to make a name for themselves could put themselves ahead of the group.
    AlBQuirky

I self identify as a monkey.

Kyleran said:

I'd watch your streams just to see one of your epic rage episodes, preferably with mouse abuse.

;)
    More like desk and headphone abuse
    KyleranAlBQuirky
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Here's a scenario...

Archeage

"Hey guys, we're going to take down [insert world boss] early AM to get [insert rare crafting item] for our guild. Try not to tip off anybody as the other faction outnumbers us badly."

*Entire other faction cuts us off at the pass. Get wrecked. Camped. Teleport. Go back to your farms losers.*

"WTF happened?" -Guildies

"Ummm I think I got stream sniped, my bad guys!" -Streamer

AlBQuirky
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯