Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do You Consider Yourself A "Gamer?"

AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
People play video games. Does that make them a "gamer?"

You have all kinds of players, from the casual, "I have 15 minutes, what can I play?" type to the players that will play anything and everything, "because it's a VIDEO GAME!" to the mega min/max type that delves deeply into a game's mechanics to figure the "best build" for any particular game. Many times, these more "hardcore" players will create websites to share the information they found out and encourage other similarly minded players to share their info.

I play video games, but I have specific types of games I enjoy, mainly RPGs. I can spend hours on end playing a game I enjoy yet don't consider myself a gamer at all.

Where do you fall? Do you consider yourself a "gamer?"

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
- FARGIN_WAR

Comments

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    I also enjoy movies... does that make me a "movie-er"?

It just doesn't feel right, although it's easy to understand.  So... no, to answer the question.  I consider myself someone that enjoys interactive experiences.
    AlBQuirkypantaroAgent_JosephJeffSpicoli[Deleted User]jonp200HatefullMouloxtos85

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

It just doesn't feel right, although it's easy to understand.  So... no, to answer the question.  I consider myself someone that enjoys interactive experiences.
    Dangit! I wanted to "LOL" at the "the movie-er" comment, but your other part was insightful ;)
    Phaserlight

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    edited September 2019
    I see myself as player , not gamer
    Azaron_Nightblade
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    [Deleted User]GorweAlBQuirkyrojoArcueidHatefullrodingo
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Arterius said:
    NorseGod said:

[Deleted User]GorweAgent_JosephAlBQuirkyrodingo
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    No, I consider myself a player. Gamer to me is not a great word.
    AlBQuirky
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Sovrath said:
    No, I consider myself a player. Gamer to me is not a great word.
    Lol. It's the opposite for me. When I hear player I think of a real life version of Leisure Suit Larry.
    PhryKyleranAlBQuirkyAzaron_NightbladeSovrathk61977Hatefull[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    edited September 2019

Its called Cinephile. Lots of other comparable terms too in other forms of entertainment. Such as reader/bookworm and the obvious Gamer already mentioned.

You're all wrong and frankly kind of weird. If you game regularly you are a gamer. Get over it. If you read often, you are a bookworm. That doesn't mean thats your only interest. You can be a gamer, a tuner, a modeler, a reader, a racer, a cyclist and much more all at once. 

If you barely do those things but dabble in them now and then, then no, its just a side interest. Playing RPG's regularly for hours absolutely makes you a gamer.

Frickin weirdos.
    IselinPhryKyleranPhaserlightAlBQuirky[Deleted User]Azaron_Nightblade
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    The definition is pretty loose these days. Gamer is whoever plays games. The medium or the type of game is unimportant.

There are more than 1.8 billion gamers worldwide. The activity has become so mainstream, it's more widespread than watching regular TV in certain places.

Whoever visit this site or similar is a gamer. Not even the casual type either. So, yea, I'm a gamer myself.
    AlBQuirkyGorwe
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    madazz said:
    Its called Cinephile. Lots of other comparable terms too in other forms of entertainment. Such as reader/bookworm and the obvious Gamer already mentioned.
    I'm a bookworm, a gamer, and a movie buff too. Cinephile doesn't fit for me though.
    It might be just a very slight distinction but I love movies, while barely can stand the cinema... home theater, dvd, etc. was a godsend for me.

It ain't about the technical aspects, mind you, I do agree movies are the best on the big screen. It's about the social aspects, what movies like Cinema Paradiso presented really well in a few scenes.
    I simply don't like watching movies with a bunch of other people around, laughing and munching and slurping in the same room :) 

For Al's original question, I consider myself a gamer, though definitely not a hardcore one. I don't play extensive hours, I avoid a lot (really a lot) of genres entirely, actually it'd be shorter to list what I do play... I play RPGs (single, MMO, pen-and-paper), adventure games, and turn-based strategies. Pretty much that's all... a few tapletop board games, maybe a LCG here and there.

In the past ('80s, '90s) I was an omnivore of games: played everything from shooters, racing and other simulators, managment/builder, platformers, arcade, to even APRGs - though I ain't proud of that last part. But as I grew, and time turned into a rare commodity, I had to prioritize and keep only the favourites.

As said in a previous thread I don't even jump on mass sales and giveaways anymore, I don't clog my (virtual) game shelves... I just buy what I know I will play, now. Piling up hundreds of unplayed games is pointless.
    PhaserlightAlBQuirkyKyleranAzaron_Nightblade
  • kenguru23kenguru23 Member UncommonPosts: 49
    Gamers truly are the most oppressed group. Nobody here wants to be even associated with them.
    AlBQuirkyPhry
  • DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    edited September 2019
    Well, if you play games regularly - you're a gamer by definition, I'd say.

But that's not the only thing you are. I mean, we're human beings with a variety of interests.

I'm not sure it matters what you like doing - as long as you're having fun, and no one is hurt.

As for myself, I do play games regularly.

I don't invest in what that means in terms of a "title" - but it's kinda hard to deny that I'm a gamer, since I game.
    AlBQuirky
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    madazz said:

You're all wrong and frankly kind of weird. If you game regularly you are a gamer. Get over it. If you read often, you are a bookworm. That doesn't mean thats your only interest. You can be a gamer, a tuner, a modeler, a reader, a racer, a cyclist and much more all at once. 

If you barely do those things but dabble in them now and then, then no, its just a side interest. Playing RPG's regularly for hours absolutely makes you a gamer.

Frickin weirdos.
    True, but it's worth mentioning that the circle tends to get drawn exceptionally large when it comes to applying the term "gamer".  I play video games on average maybe... 2-3 hours per week.  Sometimes more, sometimes less.  I also enjoy things like playing guitar, working out, surfing, snowboarding, swimming...

"Gamer", like "cinephile" has connotations associated with it; these fit very poorly if we are being as liberal with the term as we are.  It tends to lose its meaning.
    AlBQuirky

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    YOU BET YOUR ASS I AM 

AlBQuirkyPhaserlight[Deleted User]SovrathrojoArcueidHatefullbcbully[Deleted User]
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

I am one of those people who after playing video games for a long period time I feel lazy. Like I could be doing something else. Reading, writing, cleaning, etc... I only play video games for about 5 hours a night. I give myself two hours for a MMO. Sometimes three. I give the other part of my time to a non-mmo game. On bad nights when I feel real lazy for playing video games I may only game for a half an hour. It just depends...............http://chilp.it/a2b7ebc

Deja vu!

And then SPAM linkie.

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

Gorwe said:
    Let's define "gamer" first.
    What comes to your mind when you see/hear the term?

I asked because I see it a lot in posts here.
    "Gamers want..."
    "Gamers like..."
    "Game X is for gamers."
    "Gamers unite!"

I was curious who identified with the term ;)

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Ich ben enine Gamer.

AlBQuirky[Deleted User]

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

AlBQuirky said:
    Gorwe said:

"Gamers want..."
    "Gamers like..."
    "Game X is for gamers."
    "Gamers unite!"

Does it matter if you don't identify with the term, when you participate in the activity?

Is somebody not a driver because he doesn't identify as one, despite driving around all day every day?
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited September 2019
    Well i play games so yeah duh.I played games way back with games like  Castle Wolfenstein where we had to write boot disks to make it work and before my first PC i played the arcade stuff like Missile Command and Asteroids.
    So yeah i would say i am a gamer but before that as a very young kid...teenager,nope i despised games i was out playing sports.I only became interested in games when i met a new friend who worked in the industry and then one thing lead to another.

If i could look back,i would say it was a mistake to get into gaming as many will find out as they get older.It is very unhealthy to sit in a chair for long periods,you are pretty much motionless,poor blood flow it adds up over many years.
    Very few "get it"understand it,one Twitch Streamer Tay Zonday does get it,you will often see him standing up or moving around rather than sit motionless in a chair.
    AlBQuirky

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
     Gaming is not my primary hobby anymore and haven't played something for 1.5 months so I'm not really considering myself a gamer right now.
    AlBQuirky
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
    edited September 2019
    Xasapis said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    Gorwe said:

"Gamers want..."
    "Gamers like..."
    "Game X is for gamers."
    "Gamers unite!"

Does it matter if you don't identify with the term, when you participate in the activity?

Is somebody not a driver because he doesn't identify as one, despite driving around all day every day?
    Yes. There are good drivers, bad drivers, drunk drivers, and race car drivers. There are motorcycle drivers and off road drivers.

It matters?

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

Wizardry said:
    Well i play games so yeah duh.I played games way back with games like  Castle Wolfenstein where we had to write boot disks to make it work and before my first PC i played the arcade stuff like Missile Command and Asteroids.
    So yeah i would say i am a gamer but before that as a very young kid...teenager,nope i despised games i was out playing sports.I only became interested in games when i met a new friend who worked in the industry and then one thing lead to another.

If i could look back,i would say it was a mistake to get into gaming as many will find out as they get older.It is very unhealthy to sit in a chair for long periods,you are pretty much motionless,poor blood flow it adds up over many years.
    Very few "get it"understand it,one Twitch Streamer Tay Zonday does get it,you will often see him standing up or moving around rather than sit motionless in a chair.
    Like everything in life, "moderation and variety" is the key. Exercise. Eat healthy. Get involved in your local community. Volunteer. Read. Anything done over 75% of your free time is not a good thing, even exercise.
    KyleranHatefull

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

AlBQuirky said:
    Xasapis said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    Gorwe said:

"Gamers want..."
    "Gamers like..."
    "Game X is for gamers."
    "Gamers unite!"

Yes. There are good drivers, bad drivers, drunk drivers, and race car drivers. There are motorcycle drivers and off road drivers.

It matters?
    No. They are all drivers.
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirky
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Im a gamer. I see no problems with it. Most people will scoff at it and then you see them watching TV or checking facebook for a similar amount of time. 
    AlBQuirky
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations.